mtbr member

New Goblin or Fezzari Ninety9Ninety?

Think I am down to these two 29er hardtails. Fezzari looks better, has little better specs, but is $1799 (outlet) wheras I can get the NEW Goblin for $1199. Thoughts?

Cow Clicker
    I'm thinking: What are you trying to accomplish, what trails are you riding, what types of bikes are your friends riding, is this your first bike, have you found real world weights of each bike in your size, what has led you to these two bikes?

mtbr member
    Thanks for responding. I am a weekend warrior. I ride mostly single track and like a good long ride of 15 miles of so. I pass other riders more than I get passed. I consider myself intermediate to advanced and I ride a 26 hardtail Scott Scale 70. It's old but I know that bike inside and out. I have never ridden a softail, but do not think I want to go down that path. I like the simplicty of a hardtail and feel you get a better workout.

I want to spend no more than $2000 and prefer to spend less than that. basically looking for a good frame with the best components I can get for that kind of dough.

Thanks

Cow Clicker
    Bikes on bikesdirect.com and pricepoint.com fit that exact category as well. Goblin is fantastic value. Compare it to the Sette alloy 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    funny- I had pretty much narrowed my search down to the same 2 bikes (goblin and fezzari). I like the look of the Ninety9Ninety a lot, and of course the specs, but I am just not sure I can justify the price ($1800 for the outlet model).

Did u consider Fezzari's lower model, the Wasatch Peak? It's $1099. Probably has the same frame, but components are different (Deore FD, XT RD, Deore shifters, Mech Disk brakes, RockShox TK XC28 fork). Still seems like a good deal, maybe similar to the Goblin although I can't find a weight anywhere or any reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you are looking for a good deal check out bikeisland.com (it's bikes direct outlet site) they have a xt/xtr bike with reba rl w/15mm maxle for 1149.99. Only issue is it has a different rear wheel. It's a 17.5 inch frame size

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Goblin's Reba fort is a couple steps up from XC. Extra can go for SLX or XT brakes and light wheel set. Don't forget a Scott Scale Elite if you can find one. Some are going for 1300 or an Expert at 2100. They have good geo and the Expert has seat stay compliance.

mtbr member
    It is a small world indeed.

I'll look at the Wasatch--thanks for the tip. I believe will be hard to beat the New Goblin. I love my old Scott Scale, and would consider another, but cannot find a 2012 ANYWHERE. The 2013 models are not yet even on Scott's website so I really know nothing about them. If you have any tips--please share.

The Sette seems like a heck of a deal also. Any thoughts about the Rock Shox Recon Gold shock versus the Reba? What about the Shimano SLX and XT deraileurs versus Sram X-7?

Cow Clicker
    Just gave these guys a call - they've got some in stock.

Address:
    Sun & Ski Sports in Franklin, TN
    545 Cool Springs Blvd.
    Franklin, TN 37067
    Phone: (615) 628-0289

mtbr member
    For the money you guys are willing to spend (up to $2000) you should get to a LBS and check out some of the stuff they are trying to get rid of for newer models. If you are in the North, many LBS's are starting to clear bikes out for skis.

I've seen alot of good bikes in that price range and would much rather buy from an LBS than online when it comes to that type of $$$
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Cow Clicker
    Reba is higher spec, but Recon is is sufficient for most people.

+1 to Paul

Cow Clicker

mtbr member
    I have visited my LBS in the area. All of them have sold out of 2012 models and are selling the 2013's at full retail. I did visit a shop with the 2012 GT Karakoram 1.0 (which I like for the $) but I walked around for 10 minutes and they saw me but never made an effort to come speak with me. Too bad for them--I may have bought that bike.

I'll go back to my local shops and look at the 2013's. I would rather buy from a LBS then online personally.

Thanks for the tip abut the LBS in Nashville, but since I am not local, buying from them really gives me no difference vs buying online.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am also having NO LUCK finding a 29er at any of my local shops.

Cow Clicker
    Oh, the Goblin and Fezzarri are both online only. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anybody know if Airborne collects CA sales tax when they sell to CA residents?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by p2rider426 View Post
    Anybody know if Airborne collects CA sales tax when they sell to CA residents?
    Since our warehouse is in California (near Long Beach), by law we have to charge tax to California residents. Sorry~!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoWolfpack View Post
    I have visited my LBS in the area. All of them have sold out of 2012 models and are selling the 2013's at full retail.
    Yes, but it is still the slow season for bikes, so I would bet there are deals to be found. Not as good as leftover models, but deals all the same, and for a new model year bike.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looking myself,, so how are the Sette? compared to spec. or cannondale?
    also do they compare to the anthem2?I know stupid questions
    i'm a newbie
    Last edited by DEA316; 11-09-2012 at 06:22 PM.