mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New frame thread : Time for a small change about

Found out last night they've dropped the frame price on these. Assuming i can get it by Weds, i can't see any reason i won't have it built and ready to roll by Friday this week. Only downside is the Pressfit bottom bracket which isn't my favourite thing in the world. Will probably buy it in Orange today.

Bought in a Large and in Orange...

Looking forward to getting it built up this week

Hope Pro2 Evo's with Crest
    Formula K18 brakes
    Fox 32 F100 forks
    SLX Crankset
    1 x 10 chainset
    Some sort of Chain device, will use Superstar XCR for now for testing.
    Wellgo B-54's

CB2
    Jam Econo
    You could try a Shimano Shadow+ or Sram Type 2 derailleur instead of an auxiliary retention device.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I need to try with just runnning 1x10 first as we're off to a UK Trailcentre and i may find it a bit tough for one or two climbs, i usually run 1x10 on the XTC, but it's a bit lighter, so maybe the weight penalty will make it harder.

I'm selling off the frame and a few bits so will have money left over for purchasing a Shadow+ or indeed any other retainer i decide to run.

I ran the E-13 SRS+ and liked it, but there was the residual noise of the other Jockey wheel.

I was wondering if people had run the Bionicon chain device as a tensioner on a single ring setup and how that did on it's own.

I must admit, i've not looking into the Shadow+ stuff apart from knowing of it's existence.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yep last week was new frame time for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New frame thread : Time for a small change about-rdos-xx1-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    That orange looks nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    LOL isn't 2 frames a little excessive !!!!

Yummy them... i'm almost jealous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post

One to rock, one to stock!

mtbr member
    Are your Hope/Crest wheels the Hope Hoops wheels from Wiggle? If so, how do you like them? Do you know how much they weigh?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post

I is mine & the other is my friends that I have now built up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17 View Post
    Are your Hope/Crest wheels the Hope Hoops wheels from Wiggle? If so, how do you like them? Do you know how much they weigh?
    Winstanleys mate. just a smidge under 1800gr all in. I've not really used them in all hoensty. I've been running the bike in Winter mode with the standard Giant wheels. However i've now sold them, so when i build up the Salsa it will be with the Hopes.

Sadly... it's 12.27 and my frame isn't here yet. !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It is NOW

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sweet frame. Looking forward to the build and your impressions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cranks are off the Giant and ready to be fitted. I've swapped out to Singlespeed chainring bolts and running just a 32T middle on this bike. Up to now i'm still using a ramped chainring as it's in transition/testing phase, but will swap to a decent 32T Renthal etc if i stick with this config.

So off to the LBS tomorrow morning to get the headset fitted and discuss the BB options. I've bought the BB Adaptor kit from CRC which allows me to run a standard Shimano HT II bottom bracket as i have an XTR BB here unused and spare. However depending on what the LBS mechanic rekons i may just fit a standard Pressfit BB30 bottom bracket.

The Hope headset is all ready to be installed. I have noticed though that my cranks are silver !!!!! Which i'm not exactly happy about so may have to invest in a set of black cranks lol. Then again, a nice set of orange Raceface cranks may have to go on

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Nice love the colors

TR
    Angry bunny
    What size is that rear cassette?
    Looks like a family size.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    What size is that rear cassette?
    Looks like a family size.
    It is the new XX1 10-42 11 speed

TR
    Angry bunny
    It is the new XX1 10-42 11 speed
    AKA pie drive.

mtbr member
    Congrats I have a Spearfish 1 set up 1x10 with an MRP front ring, XO mid rear derailer, and a Bionicon tensioner and love this set up . silent and simple and know matter how hard I try I have never thrown a chain.Honestly Im suprised but has never been an issue
    even in Arizona mountain rocks. Enjoy your new SF I love mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Build thread over here... Almost done now apart from the fact my forks don't fit LOL

Spearfish, new frame/build.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Congrats I have a Spearfish 1 set up 1x10 with an MRP front ring, XO mid rear derailer, and a Bionicon tensioner and love this set up . silent and simple and know matter how hard I try I have never thrown a chain.Honestly Im suprised but has never been an issue
    even in Arizona mountain rocks. Enjoy your new SF I love mine.
    Dan, we must chat...I had no idea you are rocking a SF! I'm currently looking at that or a SC Superlight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ View Post
    Dan, we must chat...I had no idea you are rocking a SF! I'm currently looking at that or a SC Superlight.
    Sent you a PM .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good old CRC got the part to me bright and early...

So, i rekon i'm happy with that... However i'm prepared to bow to the knowledge of the forumites.... but looks appropriate to me.

I accept i've got no spacers, therefore no room for adjustment, it's just one of them things, i'll improvise using higher/lower/longer/narrower bars i guess...

What say the masses ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well here's the final pic and final spec (needs a few bits fitting when they arrive)
    Salsa Spearfish, size large.
    Hope Pro2 Evo with Crests.
    Bontrage Mud-x
    Formula Mega (rear)
    Formula K18 (Front)
    Formula rotors
    Fox float 32 F100 / 15mm maxle
    XTR Bottom bracket mounted in PF converters to standard BB.
    Rockshox Monarch
    SLX 10 speed shifter
    Shimano full lenght gear cable.
    Deore cranks running a 32T
    SLX cassette 11-36
    SRAM generic chain
    Superstar XCR-st chainguide
    Funn fatboy riser bars
    Hope Headset
    Ragley stubbing stem
    Well B-54 pedals
    Giant lock-on grips
    Salsa seatclamp
    Charge Spoon

To be fitted : SLX shadow+ rear mech. Renthal 32T chainring.

Riding the bike in the street, i'm VERY happy with how it rides... it's a lovely bike/shape/position. However, i've swapped the bars off from this photo to risers due to issues hitting the top-tube of frame with the bottom of shifter. I'll decide on Thurs (working from home) which set of bars i prefer to ride with and set accordingly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So today was the Spearfish's debut ride.

So, it was a bit soft on the rear to start, another 30 psi in there and that felt a lot better. Using my rudimentary weighing techniques, the weight came in at 27l, (12.3kg) which is a weight i'm very happy with.

Geometry feels closer to my old Meta rather than the Giant XTC29 which suprised me, i thought it would be VERY XC feeling. However a chunk of the reason for that may be the riser bars and short stem, rather than just the overall riding geometry. However, i don't see this as a bad thing as it breeds and inspires confidence.

Hitting the icy trails is rides smoothly and takes in the bumps with ease, feeling very compliant on the trails. Hard to say how it feels in anger as i wasn't really pushing things, just tootling along and trying things out.

The Formula Mega rear brake is great, really happy with that STW Sales section purchase...

The Superstar XCR chainguide performs silently.... Which is superb

Overall, i don't see any issues with the bike in the slightest... looking at the rear and front, i need to stiffen both just a smidgen as they're getting a bit too much travel at the moment, but that's a minor thing.

Happily, there's nothing hanging off, broken or flapping about. The cranks running the PF converter to standard BB seems to work like a dream.. so we're all happy.