mtbr member
    Aug 2009

new Felt Nine Trail today!

Picked up a new 2012 Felt Nine Trail this morning for $100 off retail (end of year sale). Didn't think I would, but I am loving the "Poison Oak" color. Lots of research as this is my first niner, and first ever NEW mb. (66th birthday present from my honey)

I am not young, but still in pretty strong shape... have been on an old GT converted to SS or riding my early '80's Boss 26" bmx that I've had since it was new.

I am in love with the new Felt. I wanted the sensitive/quicker steering that the 72 degree head gives me... I don't like laid back or what feels like lazy geometry to me... a personal taste thing. Rode a Gf Sawyer, Trek, Cannondale, GT... and Felt had me hooked instantly. Love the handling.

I know the Suntour forks aren't too great, but I plan to put a rigid chromo fork on it so am searching for a good fit. Salsa, Surly, or Kona probably. Any other recommendations?

I bought this bike for budget reasons, but also because it has the same frame as the better bikes, Nine Race, etc. I'll upgrade as I find deals. Weighs around 30# I think, but it looks like a rigid fork will lose 2# off the front. Could easily end up a SS like my others...

Haven't posted here, but have lurked for a while. Just wanted to report.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a good women and a great bike. Hope you enjoy your b-day present and when you get a chance post some pics of the new ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Got some riding in today... some streets, sidewalk, curbs, to familiarize myself... then hit some narrow single track through the woods.... with rocks & roots, then a section of loose crushed rock coming out of the woods... the Felt Nine "felt" so great winding through the trees. No steep climbs (it is Kansas after all) I am going to love this thing. the research paid off, I think I got the right bike for me.

get down!
    There are some steep climbs in Kansas. Check out Swope in KC and Perry lake just outside of Lawrence. Rock Chalk!

Go carbon for the front fork or Salsa cromoto if you're on a budget.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight340 View Post
    Picked up a new 2012 Felt Nine Trail this morning for $100 off retail (end of year sale). Didn't think I would, but I am loving the "Poison Oak" color. Lots of research as this is my first niner, and first ever NEW mb. (66th birthday present from my honey)

I am not young, but still in pretty strong shape... have been on an old GT converted to SS or riding my early '80's Boss 26" bmx that I've had since it was new.

I am in love with the new Felt. I wanted the sensitive/quicker steering that the 72 degree head gives me... I don't like laid back or what feels like lazy geometry to me... a personal taste thing. Rode a Gf Sawyer, Trek, Cannondale, GT... and Felt had me hooked instantly. Love the handling.

I know the Suntour forks aren't too great, but I plan to put a rigid chromo fork on it so am searching for a good fit. Salsa, Surly, or Kona probably. Any other recommendations?

I bought this bike for budget reasons, but also because it has the same frame as the better bikes, Nine Race, etc. I'll upgrade as I find deals. Weighs around 30# I think, but it looks like a rigid fork will lose 2# off the front. Could easily end up a SS like my others...

Haven't posted here, but have lurked for a while. Just wanted to report.
    Enjoy it

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the reminder.... have ridden the river trail in north Lawrence a number of times on my 26 bmx (smooth, rolling, fun), walked the steeper rocky Clinton Lake trail a number of times, and have heard about Perry Lake trail, also Swope but had forgotten about it. Places to go, things to do :-)

get down!
    join the earthriders forum too Earthriders Forum • Index page

They have trail condition updates, directions, etc. It's pretty active.

get down!
    I will agree that Kansas doesn't have the extended climbs of Colorado or many, many other places, but we have some good riding if you seek it out. I rode Perry Lake yesterday and took a few pics for you. Some of these switchbacks are so steep and rocky I was literally laughing. Others I said "f-it" and went for it. Crashed a few times, cleared a couple I thought I wouldn't that had me feeling like an extra off of 300. Spaaaartaaaaa!

Here are some pics.

Check my blog for the write-up/more info. Also, congrats on the new bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Poison Oak n Poison Ivy

Finally got a couple of pics taken of my new ride. No changes to it yet, just getting familiar with it. Really love the bike, but can't help making future plans. (rigid fork will be first... maybe a Salsa Cromoto... still looking.)

So, as I said in original post, Felt calls this color "poison oak" so I couldn't help but photo it sitting over a batch of poison ivy. Seemed like it just had to be....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new Felt Nine Trail today!-felt-nine-trail-new-.jpg  

new Felt Nine Trail today!-felt-nine-trail-3-4-new-.jpg  

Last edited by midnight340; 10-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Since the last photo:

As I said, I am new to modern bikes, and 29ers in particular...I have been riding and sorting out how I want this thing set up.
    So far:

-the bike now has a Surly KM rigid fork instead of the Suntours (suits me much better! and I got it lightly used at half price on ebay.) AND I dropped 2 1/2 lbs off the front end!!
    -Also have a BBG bash guard arriving soon (I never get into the big gear anyway.)
    -I am changing out the cheapy pedals for something else.... maybe some affordable BMX platforms for now.
    -I am also playing with raising the stem and shortening it a little... am looking at a 70mm instead of the stock 90.
    -I am running much lower tire pressure than I first did... new experience for me, but I am really liking it a lot.

Basically I am having a blast... and hoping the Kansas winter is mild again like last year.

mtbr member
    Don't know if they've changed the frame since the 2009 model year, but I love my Nine Race. I want a Ti HT, but keep thinking this one is so good, why would I spend the money!

Enjoy!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As far as I know the frames haven't changed.... The main reason I got the Felt Nine Trail is that I knew I wanted to play with components (go rigid in front, etc.) and I had read Felt uses the very same frame as the Race for all the models below that.

Glad you love your Nine Race. Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Updates on my Felt Nine Trail

I have had the Felt Nine Trail about six weeks now...(Edit: when I posted my "before photo" went to the end.) So the first two show the changes to Surly Karate Monkey forks, replacment of large chainwheel with BBG bash guard, pedals change to Odesseys, addition of shorter 70mm Shimano stem, Lizard Skin, etc. The shorter stem / rigid forks made for more precise and quicker front end (which I like a lot)

I needed spacers for the new stem on new forks and LBS didn't have what I needed, so after some searching I found that 1" copper plumbing couplings are exactly 1 1/8" I.D. so that works until I decide whether I am going to shorten the steerer.

I just love the way the Felt handles!!! Having a blast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new Felt Nine Trail today!-felt-nine-trail-3-4-new-.jpg  

new Felt Nine Trail today!-felt-nine-l-3-4.jpg  

new Felt Nine Trail today!-felt-nine-rr-3-4.jpg