mtbr member
    Jul 2013

A new contender enters the ring: Pivot Mach 429 (vs. Satori & Tallboy LT)

First off, thanks for everyone's expert feedback on my earlier Satori vs Tallboy LT thread. It was very helpful. Ultimately both bikes seemed a tossup. Price and components being equal, I had settled on the Satori. The included dropper post and in-triangle water bottle (plus more uniqueness on the trail) of the Satori edged out the prettier Tallboy LT (love the taxicab yellow in the 2014 model) with its more modern suspension.

Of course, once I reached a degree of semi-certainty, another bike entered the fray: the Pivot Mach 429. A friend of mine has been biking for many years and has owned many, many bikes and he regards his Mach 429 as a seemingly religious experience.

Praise for the 429 seems universal. While more expensive than the other two, it has some compelling traits. But is it a good "trail" bike? For all the confusion regarding the various categories, things used to seem at least a little clear: 100mm = XC, 120 mm = trail, 140 mm = all-mountain, 150+ mm = downhill. But now it seems the XC bikes are at 120 mm (Tallboy), while the trail bikes are now at 135-140 mm (Tallboy LT and Satori).

So is the 429 an XC bike or a trail bike? Or could it excel at either? I'm an older (44) lightweight rider (160 lbs) who doesn't intend to take big drops or look for reasons to go airborne. Most my riding will be done on local ski resort trails, though trips to Moab are certainly part of the big picture. Would the 120 mm of the 429 likely be sufficient for my size and riding plans?

I swear buying a car is less complicated and confusing than buying a modern mountain bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    XC bike...BUT it's going to be as capable as any 26" "trail" bike IMO due to the wheel-size, so it kind of depends on what you are comparing it with. Also, some slight tweaks would make it "trail" oriented without giving up much, but it won't be a plush descending monster either. If I was doing a race or wanted to be the fastest on an XC ride, I'd still take the Mach429. That's what these bikes are for-for skilled riders to go as fast as possible over varying terrain. The secondary use would be in flatter areas of the country where you don't need a bunch of travel and there aren't as many steeps/long descents to worry about downhill handling. If you're looking for a light bike that is easy to ride that has nice neutral traits, the mach 429 might not be it, but again, it's going to be better than a 26"er intended for the same riding, with less tendency to endo, better rolling over obstacles, and such.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    It depends on your definition of XC Vs. trail. A more appropriate consideration is will it work for your application? Your trail could be my XC and vice versa. I'm seeing guys up here in Utah on pretty technical rocky climbs nailing it on hard tail 29ers, so categories tend to overlap a bit. I'm on the 5.7c and it is religious, I've spoken to 429 riders who feel the same way. Where and how do you ride?

mtbr member
    I love my 429. It's the best bike I've ever ridden. I don't huck or jump things, either and can't imagine any place I'd ride where the bike wouldn't excel. With the DW link, it climbs like a mountain goat and makes me look like a way better climber than I really am!

If you're looking in this price range, you might want to check out the Turner Czar, too. There's some reviews on here that are pretty stellar.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    XC bike...BUT it's going to be as capable as any 26" "trail" bike IMO due to the wheel-size, so it kind of depends on what you are comparing it with.
    Kona Satori, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It depends on your definition of XC Vs. trail.
    Unfortunately I don't really know the distinction. And the bike companies continue to muddy the waters. Trek now has two trail bike categories: Trail - Singletrack and Trail - Technical. And Kona has added a new category, Enduro, which offers 3 different models with 3 different suspension travel specs and 2 different wheel sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    A more appropriate consideration is will it work for your application? Your trail could be my XC and vice versa. I'm seeing guys up here in Utah on pretty technical rocky climbs nailing it on hard tail 29ers, so categories tend to overlap a bit. I'm on the 5.7c and it is religious, I've spoken to 429 riders who feel the same way. Where and how do you ride?
    Being new to the sport, I don't yet know my application or riding style. Why then am I shooting for a mid-upper-range bike already? Because I'd rather only have to convince my wife about one purchase and not a purchase, sale, another purchase, upgrade, etc. down the road.

As far as where I'll ride: Snowbasin, Park City resorts and surrounding trails, Antelope Island, Moab, maybe a trip to Sun Valley or Grand Targhee in the summer, etc. At my age I don't care about death-defying descents over super-rocky terrain or catching big air.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I love my 429. It's the best bike I've ever ridden. I don't huck or jump things, either and can't imagine any place I'd ride where the bike wouldn't excel. With the DW link, it climbs like a mountain goat and makes me look like a way better climber than I really am!
    I think efficient climbing is an important criteria for me. If I'm riding with younger/stronger/faster guys, especially during my first year or two, any extra boost on the uphills will be helpful. I need to conserve as much of my middle-age energy as possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The 429c is 100mm rear travel isn't it? Regardless, it is a great bike. Might be more trail bike than you want, but I can't stress enough how sublime the Yeti SB95c is.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    why do married guys blame their own conscience pointing out obvious greed on their wives?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We blame our wives because it's fun. It's hard to explan to them when they ask how many bikes do you need the answer will always be one more.
    That said intence spider comp should be on your list to look at. Short chain stays 120mm travel great reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post
    why do married guys blame their own conscience pointing out obvious greed on their wives?
    Not sure where "greed" is applicable here?

mtbr member
    You're in the same area as I am. You say you're middle aged. I'm 61. With the 3000 feet of climbing typical in this area on a ride, if I were going with a 29er, I'd get the 429.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
    I think efficient climbing is an important criteria for me. If I'm riding with younger/stronger/faster guys, especially during my first year or two, any extra boost on the uphills will be helpful. I need to conserve as much of my middle-age energy as possible.
    I think if climbing is a priority, then your top two candidates are the Turner Czar and the Pivot 429 (Carbon or AL). The DW link is the best climbing suspension system out there. I can say that with confidence, though others will disagree and say others are better. Most reviewers, however, will agree that the DW link is the best climber of the various suspension systems out there. You'll give up some plushness on descents, but not capability.

Check out this thread: Three blinged out Carbon 29ers - Turner Czar, SC Tallboy, Pivot Mach 429

For my next bike, there are currently just 2 bikes on the list. The 429c and now, the Czar. I want to try them both out to see which fits me best, since in the end, that's what it comes down to.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Long Live the Gorn!
    I have been meaning to write a 500 Mile review (now 850 miles) of the 429c but have not found the time. I will do a short version here...

a) Preamble : I believe that 29ers as an "innovation cycle" are reaching a "Plateau of Near Perfection". Of the bikes I rode (429c, Niner RIP, TallboyC, TallboyLT, Giant Trance / Anthem, Salsa Spearfish, Horsethief) and others I didn't (Ripley.. Which I really wanted to ride but just took forever to come out, Scott, RDO, Cannodale) etc... are really all extremely capable bikes/platforms and it really comes down to personal preference in terms of the riding characteristics, fit and wants (like "I want a Tallboy" or "I want a DW") I don't think you could go wrong with any of these bikes.

b) If considering the Pivot You should really only consider the 429c IMVHO (not the alloy 429) because it is only ~$400 difference and it is NOT just a carbonized 429. Its geometry has been fined tuned, shorter wheel base, shorter chain stays, it is stiffer overall, the rear triangle is stiffer and yet allows for more room for rear tire (a big complaint on the alloy). I think the 429c is an amazingly capable and versatile platform. I have read where other have built race machines in the 22-23 lbs... (For lots of $$$) I have built mine up a little more trail than race with and mix of components and weighs in about 27 lbs for a reasonable price, others are putting 34mm 140s on. In fact I just saw this article ...and review of the 429c dual capabilities / flavors. Also find and read the MTB UK article...that article really rings true to me... I put on some custom wheels (240s with Arches hand laced) and a slightly shorter stem.

c) I will not try to provide a long sell on the 429c other to say that it excels in all the areas that I am most interested in and my summary is this ...ruthlessly efficient, deceptively fast, and a whole lotta fun....In fact oddly I think it was the fun that sold me, although to me...the 429c was the best combo of efficient, fast & fun of any of the bikes I rode.

However here are some comments / details.

• The DW Link is everything I expected and wanted, and though it took me a few rides to tune the suspension the way I wanted it now "Disappears under me" at times (someone else send that and I get the same feeling) ... sounds silly but I am one / really connected with the bike ... I think its the stiffness in all the right places, in general I am bit more of a stiff guy than a super plushy (did I really just say that), but the suspension seam to be stiff at the right time and plush at others. I think the matched CTD system with the DW link works very well, I will say I wish FOX would provide a firmer lockout on the fork but that is Fox's issue not the 429c's. I can stand and mash but I had to adjust my style a bit.... seated climbing is the best I rode just plain ruthless.

• I have ridden everything I have ridden on my old 5.5" travel bike faster both up and down with elevated comfort and fun. For some reason on the bike I seem to be catching as much or more air, crossing up, flowing off drops than ever. My ride profile is "Trail" for sure, but I do hammer on occasion (maybe more than on occasion), I do like to descend and I do ride 35-50 milers... This bike excells at Motorway (loose and baby heads) , Holy Jim, San Juan (tight climbing / dropping switchbacks), Old Camp Luge, Whiting, Santiago Oaks (sorry for the SoCal refs)... and of course lots and lots of climbing.

• The 429c was my first low bottom bracket bike, and I have banged a pedal here and there, and have learned to adjust but the payoff in cornering and stability is way worth it.

d) Finally I would just say get out and ride one...ride everything you can...and buy what you like...pretty sure you can not go wrong.

Definitely Ride to Decide
    Last edited by bvader; 08-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    The Pivot 429c was on my short list. I only chose the Satori because I wanted more suspension and a slacker head angle.

No doubt about it the Pivot (and all Pivot's) are sweet machines. It is more XC leaning for my tastes, but if getting to the top faster is key, then it would be an awesome weapon.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    bvader, thanks for the great 500 mile review. I'm reviving a dead post here but what are your thoughts after being on the bike almost a year and the honeymoon phase has worn off? I'm bike shopping and the 429c is high on the list but haven't been able to demo yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My 429c is up for sale. Rode it for a few hours before I realized that cycling irritated my impinged pelvic nerves (meralgia paresthetica). The first time I had an issue it took 2 full years to heal itself. I'm terrified about going through that again. Apparently my body wasn't designed for cycling. Expensive (and depressing) lesson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My new Pivot Mach 429C is the kind of bike that makes want to ride. I just know that going out on my 429C will be so much fun, so I ride more!! I think you get alot for your money, 2800 bucks for frame only. The stiffest 29er FS frame on the market at 6.35 lbs not the lightest but you won't feel it. Go demo one for 1 week, you will buy it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A new contender enters the ring: Pivot Mach 429 (vs. Satori & Tallboy LT)-p1060599.jpg  

Old School Member
    I demo'ed one at a Pivot demo day, and got loaned one by my shop for a XC race on a technical course with shorter hard climbs- the Mach 429c was outstanding. Probably the best f/s bike I have ridden.