Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

New carbon HT or wasting money?

So I currently have a stumpjumper, its not carbon. I've picked up some stans arch ex wheels on it. Had it for about a year now. Do enjoy the bike but am now kinda wanting to try something new.

Looking at the Giant XTC 1 composite, mainly for 3 reasons. 1) its a carbon 2) brakes 3) Fox fork. I hate the elixers on my bike and wouldnt mind trying a fox shock to see if I can notice any difference.

My bike, even tho its a XXL weighs in at 25.4lb, from what I have read the XTC 1 weights in at around 25lb as well. So now I'm just sitting here wondering if theres a point to this. I could just toss some SLX brakes on my stumpy, maybe grab a carbon bar, stem and seatpost and call it a day, then wait a few more years and dive into the FS scene. Or get the XTC and a year or two down the road upgrade those wheels and see how that does.

Thoughts, opinions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The only reason I see to go to a carbon frame is if you're looking for a slightly more compliant ride. Carbon hardtails can be tuned to have a little more vertical flex than aluminum. The aluminum SJ is already a reasonably light frame, and spending a large amount of money to save a pound or less in the frame is in my mind not worth it.

The only difference you'll notice between a Fox and your fork is that the Reba is better.

I would buy a carbon seatpost and handlebar to gain some vibration dampening and lose some weight for not too much money. You could skip the stem; you'd probably save 20 grams at best. The SLX brakes would be a great upgrade.