Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Canfield Brothers

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-nimble-9-mtbr.jpg

The Canfield Brothers 29er revolution continues with the ALL NEW Nimble 9. From the start of the redesign of the current Nimble 9, we wanted to give the bike a distinctive look different from what is currently available in chromo hardtails. We wanted to incorporate a hydro formed toptube and a 44mm head tube. New innovations include a removable front derailleur block that allows the frame to look super clean when setting it up as single speed. We also designed new sliding dropouts that are reminiscent of something seen on a custom motorcycle. Lastly, we gave the new Nimble 9 the innovative Canfield Brothers 29er geometry.

We will be releasing the new Nimble 9 in nine colors, Canfield Glow in the Dark Sparkle Blue, Sparkle Orange, Sparkle Green, Matte Black, Gloss Black, Deep Red, Midnight, Forest Green and Limited Edition Chrome.
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-nimble-colors.jpg

The Nimble 9 is currently in production with an estimated ship date of May 2013.

Features:
    • 4130 chromoly steel
    • 68° head angle with a 120mm fork
    • Adjustable 16.25“ - 16.9” chainstays
    • Lower toptube for increased stand over height
    • Custom sliding 135mm x 10mm rear dropouts for geared or single speed options
    • NEW hydroformed toptube
    • Removable direct mount front derailleur block
    • Improved chainstay heel clearance
    • Two water bottle bosses
    • 6.5 lbs (estimated)
    • $750 US retail, ($800 Limited Edition Chrome)

Build Specs:
    • Recommend fork lengths – 100mm – 120mm
    • Headset – 44mm upper and lower cups
    • Front derailleur – Shimano direct mount – top pull, single bolt, or Sram HO series
    • Bottom bracket – 73mm
    • Seat post – 30.9mm
    • Seat clamp – 35mm
    • Rear dropout spacing – 135mm
    • Post brake mount

Please call 801-548-2556 or email us at sales@canfieldbrothers.com for more details and pre-orders.

mtbr member
    Holy crap that's hot sex right there. The wife will absolutely murder me if I order another frame...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i should start saving for this build

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Oh my...that is what I'm talking about!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hmmm... still see the recommended fork length is 100mm~120mm. So is the 2nd gen. Nimble9 strong enough for a 140mm fork given that the headtube is a 44mm which can(?) takes appropriate headsets for a tapered fork?

hispanic mechanic
    Super excited to get a new N9 built up! A bit more standover clearance, more heel clearance, new rear brake placement, snazzy sliders... Now I just have to figure out if I wanna stick with the glow-in-the-dark Blizzard Blue, or shift over to Midnight.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    ...and Limited Edition Chrome.
    F@ck - Now I need a new one.

I gave them this idea!!
    If someone builds a chrome with red accents please send me a picture.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Measurements please !!! want to order...

Now broadcasting from CO
    Man, my old Jabberwocky SS is looking more and more dated...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    Man my old Nimble 9 is looking dated. My wife is going to kill me for what I'm about to do....

Canfield Brothers

The NEW Nimble 9 Geo

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-nimble-9-geo-chart.jpg
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 02-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I won't even try to explain to my wife. I love my yelli but i want to try steel and possibly run SS.

SWEET ! head tube lengths same as the yelli. Everything swaps over.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    That is honestly one of the sexiest steel frames I've ever seen. Dig the geo, too.

You should send me one, so I can test it on these steep and rugged Idaho trails for you. You wanna be Gem State Certified, don't you?

Warrior's Society
    6.5 lbs (estimated)

And I thought my El Mariachi was heavy at 5.7 lbs.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    AAGH CHrome
    Name:  320px-Homer_drool.jpg
Views: 5850
Size:  21.9 KB

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    That is honestly one of the sexiest steel frames I've ever seen. Dig the geo, too.

You should send me one, so I can test it on these steep and rugged Idaho trails for you. You wanna be Gem State Certified, don't you?
    If you ever get over to Boise (and will fit a medium,) you're welcome to try my v1.0 out any time!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    6.5 lbs (estimated)

And I thought my El Mariachi was heavy at 5.7 lbs.
    Certainly no featherweight, but keep in mind- this frame is built to handle far more abuse than the El Mar.

Thinkin' the midnight blue might look pretty good with my current parts...The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-nimble9junkyard.jpg

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    May 2009

Awesome but content

The new design really does look amazing, much more stiff and burly and I love all the color options. I think for my purposes, longer XC/trail rides, the original version suits me better, still playful and nimble and a good pound lighter and a bit more compliant. I'm glad I got one of the few remaining 2012's, but I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Privee Shan for the 29er crowd - nice..

mtbr member
    Really nice looking frame but I'm personally never going to ride single speed so would be reluctant to buy a frame with sliding dropouts. That may just be perception but as the dropouts are replaceable I would like the option of using my 142 X 12mm. wheels. Any chance of other dropouts happening?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    The new design really does look amazing, much more stiff and burly and I love all the color options. I think for my purposes, longer XC/trail rides, the original version suits me better, still playful and nimble and a good pound lighter and a bit more compliant. I'm glad I got one of the few remaining 2012's, but I'm sure I'm in the minority here.
    There's at least 2 of us who feel that way.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    The new design really does look amazing, much more stiff and burly and I love all the color options. I think for my purposes, longer XC/trail rides, the original version suits me better, still playful and nimble and a good pound lighter and a bit more compliant.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I was hoping that the new version would offer 142x12 dropouts that I could retrofit to my v1 Nimble, but it doesn't look like that can happen with the new dropout design.

mtbr member
    KillingtonVT: Why no ISCG tabs?

artistic...
    6.5 lbs frame weight for a hardtail?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    My shorts are tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    I am thinking about ditching my Jabber. I will hang the parts from the Jabber on my old N9, and I will take the parts off the current N9, and hang them on a new frame.

I love the new frame.

mtbr member

Any idea if the frame would take a rabbit hole/Knard combo in the rear? Would consider this over the current frame I am running for my fat front setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Nothing new for a cromoly frame in this segment. But what size is that the weight of?

My 20" Long Kona Honzo (26" ETT) weighs in at 6 lbs 12 oz and full build just under 31 lbs. Doesn't ride like it though, while my TransAM 26er was much heavier at almost 33.5 lbs and rode like it too.
    konahonzo

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Any idea if the frame would take a rabbit hole/Knard combo in the rear? Would consider this over the current frame I am running for my fat front setup.
    I really doubt it would even be close. It's not tight back there, but certainly can't imagine there would be room for a RH/Knard. Would be awesome if it did fit, though.

mtbr member

I know that the newer versions if the misfit DiSSent will fit a Knard. This is why I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I know that the newer versions if the misfit DiSSent will fit a Knard. This is why I ask.
    According to GT, you need at least a 17.7" CS.

mtbr remember
    radbadical
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All you guys with older N9 frames...think of me when it comes time to let the old one go with the new purchase. I ain't particular
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    What a great looking bike, hope I get to try one.

Canfield Brothers
    Here's a quick image of the New Nimble 9 built up. I'll get her in the studio this weekend to have good quality hi-res images available. With the Kenda Small blocks there is plenty of tire clearance with the rear wheel slid all the way in. 16.25" chainstays in that position!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-new-nimble-9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    According to GT, you need at least a 17.7" CS.
    Pretty sure that isn't the case at all.

435mm Slammed

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Boys, is it safe to assume they'll be a Yelli Screamy coming to? Cool bike.

MTB B'dos
    OK, so you can claim your short 16.25" stays, but h9onestly doing that by saying you need to have on the likes of 2.1" SB8s, that defeats the whole purpose of this bike, or at least that's MY opinion. Tell where you can run them when you've got a 2.4" Ardent on a Flow rim, that I'll consider the "real" length.

Here's a quick image of the New Nimble 9 built up. I'll get her in the studio this weekend to have good quality hi-res images available. With the Kenda Small blocks there is plenty of tire clearance with the rear wheel slid all the way in. 16.25" chainstays in that position!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I don't think that is all that bad. Look at all the 4130 cromo tubes!

142x12 should be standard on this bike though IMHO. Great looking bike, different from the norm.

hispanic mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OK, so you can claim your short 16.25" stays, but h9onestly doing that by saying you need to have on the likes of 2.1" SB8s, that defeats the whole purpose of this bike, or at least that's MY opinion. Tell where you can run them when you've got a 2.4" Ardent on a Flow rim, that I'll consider the "real" length.
    For what it's worth, I raced a very rocky 50 miler on my v1 N9 with a 2.4 Ardent on a Bontrager Duster (a mm or two narrower than the Flow) in back. I had the wheel maybe 5-6mm back for SS chain tensioning reasons, but had tire clearance with the sliders all the way forward.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll be riding the new N9 this weekend, look for a full ride report next week! We have a lot of tire combinations to try. You can't tell in the pics, but there is plenty of room for bigger tires. This bike has lots of standover for a large and feels quite stiff laterally! Pretty excited for the weekend!

Canfield Brothers
    Tell where you can run them when you've got a 2.4" Ardent on a Flow rim, that I'll consider the "real" length.
    LyNx - We do agree that these tires are WAY lighter than what SHOULD be on our new bike for this build. They just happened to be the only set we had at the warehouse. We just ordered a set of 2.4 Ardent Exo's and will post images of where the minimum setting will be with the Ardents once we have them next week.

Vin

MTB B'dos
    That's cool man, will definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread to see just how short you can go with good clearance and a 2.4" Ardent - not my fav tyre, but casing is awesomely huge. Know you won't ever have the 1/2" or so all around clearance I have on my pre-production Prime with the 2.4" Ardent, but hoping you'll at least have a 1/4" all around.

You guys sure built a nice bike originally, but the revisions sure do add to it. If I had the scratch I think I'd like one, but my 2007 Monkey will have to suffice for the time being as my steel, rigid beast. If you guys are up for some fun would be interested to see if one of the new Surly KNARDs fit in the back. That's the next thing I'll be adding to the Monkey, is a new Rabbit Hole wheel with Knard tyre.

LyNx - We do agree that these tires are WAY lighter than what SHOULD be on our new bike for this build. They just happened to be the only set we had at the warehouse. We just ordered a set of 2.4 Ardent Exo's and will post images of where the minimum setting will be with the Ardents once we have them next week.

Vin
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-22-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    MTB Barbados

Canfield Brothers
    A few more images of the NEW Nimble 9 Built. I included a chainstay image to show clearance in the shortest position. We have a set of Maxxis Ardent 2.4's on order and will post a comparison image as soon as we have them. We have also had a ton of questions as if a Gnard would fit... however, we pushed the limits as far as we could when designing the chainstays on this bike to be a short as possible, have as much tire clearance as possible AND still have it front derailleur compatible. Widening the stays to fit a Gnard 3.0 would have compromised our original design aspirations.
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-canfield-brothers-nimble-9.jpg

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-canfield-brothers-nimble-9-drop-out.jpg

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-canfield-brothers-nimble-9-chainstay.jpg

MTB B'dos
    From that shot it looks like you just might be able to run it slammed with the Ardent, although I think you might run into issues with the ST and FD since the Ardent is such a high volume casing, but should be pretty close.
    Like the X-Fusion fork you guys have on, will they be what's offered in t he built kits? Think they're great value for $$. I've an X-Fusion Velvet on it's way to me to run a 650B on the front of my Trance, can't wait to get it and try it out after my 2 weeks on an X-Fusion 02 RL shock on the Prime - patiently waiting for the Trace to come in stock.

Just looked over that last pic again and noticed something, the curve on the stays is very big and the back end of the stays come very far out, can easily see someone my height having heal rub issues.

A few more images of the NEW Nimble 9 Built. I included a chainstay image to show clearance in the shortest position. We have a set of Maxxis Ardent 2.4's on order and will post a comparison image as soon as we have them. We have also had a ton of questions as if a Gnard would fit... however, we pushed the limits as far as we could when designing the chainstays on this bike to be a short as possible, have as much tire clearance as possible AND still have it front derailleur compatible. Widening the stays to fit a Gnard 3.0 would have compromised our original design aspirations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 Chainstay.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	775076
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    MTB Barbados

Canfield Brothers
    2.4 Maxxis Ardent with the dropouts all the way forward.
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_2603.jpg

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-n9-bottom.jpg
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 03-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So ~16.2 chainstay length with an Ardent and a front derailleur?

MTB B'dos
    Looks good, but can you do a shot(s) looking directly down so we can see both sides clearance, similar to the ones attached of my Prime's stay clearance?
    2.4 Maxxis Ardent with the dropouts all the way forward.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2603.JPG 
Views:	433 
Size:	469.1 KB 
ID:	777125

MTB Barbados

MTB B'dos
    Just a quick little plea to you guys (and all other manufacturers if you're reading). Would be very cool if you could do the geo chart like you did for the first gen Nimble with drawings so you know exactly how your size will look and do not get a surprise when it arrives if it's not a popular, pictured size - especially with what looks to be a big ST/TT brace.
    MTB Barbados

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by eMcK View Post
    So ~16.2 chainstay length with an Ardent and a front derailleur?
    We designed the new Nimble to have as much clearance as possible, to run the largest tire possible AND to still have the frame front derailleur compatible. In the shortest chainstay setting, the FD clearance with the 2.4 Ardent is definitely tight, however it is possible to run this setup:
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-n9-fd.jpg

Canfield Brothers
    Just a quick little plea to you guys (and all other manufacturers if you're reading). Would be very cool if you could do the geo chart like you did for the first gen Nimble with drawings so you know exactly how your size will look and do not get a surprise when it arrives if it's not a popular, pictured size - especially with what looks to be a big ST/TT brace.
    LyNx - Thanks for the idea... On our new Geo page will will feature a reference drawing, a traditional geo chart and at the bottom of the page, we will post images of all the sizes for comparison.
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-nimble-sizes.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4