Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Duuude, man...

New Build: Which Disc Brake & Which Fork?

I've got a 293 frame-only on the way, with a Fox Pro-Pedal rear shock.

I have a 1.0 as well as a REBA, both new, to choose from. Chris at Speedgoat says the REBA is the better fork, but I'm not convinced yet.

Also, I'm not sure about which disc brake to use. I like the Avid's, but they seem to be issue-prone.

What is the flat best disc brake for XC/racing use? Juicy? Hope Mini? M4? Yet to be avaiable El Camino? Magura? other? I have a set of perfectly good Avid Mech's, which I could use...

Or, I could say fuggit and go back to V's, although that would limit my fork choice to the 1.0. I have been lusting for a set of Avid Ultimates...I'm assuming the current year model Race Lites are V-compatible?

No need for the "bike of the week comments."
    FS: Everything

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01

I have a 1.0 as well as a REBA, both new, to choose from. Chris at Speedgoat says the REBA is the better fork, but I'm not convinced yet.

Also, I'm not sure about which disc brake to use. I like the Avid's, but they seem to be issue-prone.

What is the flat best disc brake for XC/racing use? Juicy? Hope Mini? M4? Yet to be avaiable El Camino? Magura? other? I have a set of perfectly good Avid Mech's, which I could use...

Or, I could say fuggit and go back to V's, although that would limit my fork choice to the 1.0. I have been lusting for a set of Avid Ultimates...I'm assuming the current year model Race Lites are V-compatible?

Oh, and certain board members will be happy to learn that I've relaxed my strict diet of XL only, and this frame is a size Large (same size as a XL KM). In the past I have been strict about only having XL fishers...

mtbr member

New or used?

How in the heck did you get a frame only deal?

Recovering couch patato
    One word.

Why?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

giddy up!
    Wait, what happened to the Lenz?

What are you gonna use the sugar for if you still have the Lenz?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

The Duuude, man...

questions and answers

I got a 293 frame/shock w/WB off a guy in a fangled trade/$$ exchange...not sure where he got it, but it's not impossible, ask Bruce B who got an as-new 293 frame off me a year or so ago...

Why? Becuase I need a good XC racer, and I"m worried about my back for the HT, plus the KM is going in the above noted trade (clxx the time is now if you're serious about the Tricky Dick).

Lenz is not my bike of the (this) week, which is why I need a FS 29er. This one will be built very modestly by comparison though...I need to consciously make descisions such that people won't come to me saying: I'll give you XXX for it - leaving me with no choice...

My Lenz will probably rear it's head again in my ownership with a new powdercoat in a couple months. Devin will be powdercoating over the costmetic blem in the ano finish.

mtbr member
    I have been researching brakes also and have heard alotr of good feedback on the Magura Martas. Very little negative feedback....I think I am getting myself some.

I have experience with Avid mechanicals (didn't like), and XTR hydros. I like the XTR's but they are annoyingly delicate. Most of the time they are noise and rub free..but it seems like once a week I am fiddling with them to fight both issues. Modulation on the XTR's is worlds better then the Avid mechanicals.

mtbr member

Brakes

My Hope M4's with 180mm rotors work well. No issues ( I have had them on several bikes)

Recovering couch patato
    Formula Xtreme 185mm's are bad ass have served me well the few times I did use them. I love the beefy levers, and low weight. when I get rich, I'll stock up on these, maybe even teh 203mm version. Cheapo Hayes HFX9 XC's work extremely well for me also, best bang for teh buck I've come across, if weight is not an object.
    With a big wallet, Formula ORO looks interesting. Formula's used to suck at some point, but they changed that.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Whatever! Just crash it!
    I'm a big fan of the Hope mono mini. If you need more power, go up to the 4 piston version. I just put the mini's on my Karate Monkey and once they broke in (takes a few rides) they were perfect. I went with the small rotors and I'm happy with that. If I were riding a FS bike, I'd either go to the larger rotors or the 4piston brakes (or both).

I have used Hayes, Magura Martas, and briefly the Avids. I wasn't happy with any of them.

Good luck,

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Weight

I have a 293 that I fitted a 5th element rear shock and I also put on a WB 1.0 air. I stayed with v's because in the terrain I ride I just can't justify the weight of disk and just like my light weight v's and the their feel. In fact on the Salsa I built up just last week, I switched out the Reba with the WB.8 and put the v's back on it last night. Saves me 1.5 lbs and I like the stiffness of the WB fork.

The 1.0 on the 293 seems to slow the steering just a tad so I narrowed the bars to compensate. I have no regrets in the setup and it's the lightest I can make it. But if your like I am and you like building bikes, and trying new things - try both and see which way fits your style best. I really like this setup on my 293 as well as the 293 frame as an all around FS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Why not try it both ways? If you can put up with a goofy tall stack, I don't see much downside to that. How long does it take to switch out brakes and fork with the right tools? half hour? fifteen minutes? Might be a good argument to sample two kinds of mechanical brakes to make it quick... Heck, you could probably change brakes in the middle of the ride if you felt like it.

I'm happy with the avids and the Reba on my stock bike, but I don't really know any better. Would like to try the Hope brakes someday, but kind of like to stick with cable.

Just Ride!
    XTR v's with Cool Stop pads blow my previous Avid mechanicals into the weeds. Lighter weight and better stopping power. The only downside has been poor performance in two snow rides this past winter.

mtbr member
    My vote is for the Avid mechanicals. I used to be a hydro's only guy, but the more I use the mechanicals the more I like em'. Easily serviced and adjusted even mid-ride, don't pump up on long decents and plenty of power.

Can't comment on the fork. I have a Reba and not sure if I am even going to install it. Still enjoying the rigid fork for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2nd that

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    XTR v's with Cool Stop pads blow my previous Avid mechanicals into the weeds. Lighter weight and better stopping power. The only downside has been poor performance in two snow rides this past winter.

I'll second that. I use the Avid Ti v's and found the the Cool Stop pads to be the best. I guess that's whay I have no interest in disk (of course no snow or months of mud and wet) and pulled the Avid mech disk of the Dos Niner.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenseltz
    The 1.0 on the 293 seems to slow the steering just a tad so I narrowed the bars to compensate. I have no regrets in the setup and it's the lightest I can make it. But if your like I am and you like building bikes, and trying new things - try both and see which way fits your style best. I really like this setup on my 293 as well as the 293 frame as an all around FS.
    Lets see a pic of that thing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

293 pics

Lets see a pic of that thing...

Will take tonight and post tomorrow.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenseltz
    Will take tonight and post tomorrow.
    Looking forward to pics....

Tell me more about your experience with a 100 vs 80 mm forks on the Sugar...

Are you saying you like it better with 80mm? Doesn't that screw up your BB height and translate to pedal strikes? I think the REBA is 80/100 mm adjustable isn't it??

What's your take on the REBA vs the 1.0??? Chris at Speedgoat says the ReBA is a clear choice over the 1.0....but I've heard the holy one suggest the WB is the better fork, but then that may vary a little depending on sponsorship....I've been a very avid WB supporter so far....and I"ll have both new physically by the end of the week, so I should be able to easily go either way...but hoping to sell in new condition the un-used fork, so I don't want to go test riding each one...

thnx.n

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    I have been researching brakes also and have heard alotr of good feedback on the Magura Martas. Very little negative feedback....I think I am getting myself some.
    From the SS boards, Hugh has been transformed by the Magura Marta's.
    A long time Avid Mech hold out, the inner weight-weenie inside of him won out though.
    The Marta SL's are 116grams lighter than an XTR v-brake set-up and have treated him great over the past few months....

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    The Marta SL's are 116grams lighter than an XTR v-brake set-up and have treated him great over the past few months....
    no way!! you're sh*ttin' me, right?? Hydro disc brakes lighter than good V-brakes??? I thought that was something of myth, hysteria, religion, and science fiction???

Only dead people are old
    no way!! you're sh*ttin' me, right?? Hydro disc brakes lighter than good V-brakes??? I thought that was something of myth, hysteria, religion, and science fiction???
    Some time ago I swapped out a complete set of Avid Ti V-brakes for a set of Magura Marta disc brakes. I was curious about the weight difference so I weighed each complete system (including rotors, bolts, cables...everything). The result was an added 33g for the front and 38g for the rear by adding the Martas (I can spit that much). The stopping power of the disc over the v-brakes convinced me that I had been missing out so now I insist on disc brakes. I recently had a chance to try Avid Mechanicals and was very impressed with the stopping power they, but I did not like the inconsistency in modulation when braking hard. It's something I got use to over a short time (the Avids came stock on my new Rig). I swapped out the Avids with a spare set of Martas and now run the Martas on all three of my 29ers. One big reason I originally chose the Maguras was that the hydraulic fluid is a mineral oil vs. the corrosive DOT-3+ automotive brake fluid. Shimano also runs mineral oil, but it's Shimano (the evil empire).

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Super E
    Some time ago I swapped out a complete set of Avid Ti V-brakes for a set of Magura Marta disc brakes. I was curious about the weight difference so I weighed each complete system (including rotors, bolts, cables...everything). The result was an added 33g for the front and 38g for the rear by adding the Martas (I can spit that much). The stopping power of the disc over the v-brakes convinced me that I had been missing out so now I insist on disc brakes. I recently had a chance to try Avid Mechanicals and was very impressed with the stopping power they, but I did not like the inconsistency in modulation when braking hard. It's something I got use to over a short time (the Avids came stock on my new Rig). I swapped out the Avids with a spare set of Martas and now run the Martas on all three of my 29ers. One big reason I originally chose the Maguras was that the hydraulic fluid is a mineral oil vs. the corrosive DOT-3+ automotive brake fluid. Shimano also runs mineral oil, but it's Shimano (the evil empire).
    This sounds very tastey. Very tastey indeed. Here's a quick question: what's the difference between the Marta and the Marta SL other than the carbon lever?

Also, I've searched around, but I"m not seeing a whole lot of options other than 400 bucks for a set....any bang up deals anyone knows of?

zeebot
    This sounds very tastey. Very tastey indeed. Here's a quick question: what's the difference between the Marta and the Marta SL other than the carbon lever?

Also, I've searched around, but I"m not seeing a whole lot of options other than 400 bucks for a set....any bang up deals anyone knows of?
    They are exactly the same besides the levers. I had the SL version and thought they worked great as long as you keep them nice and clean. The pads burn down REALLY fast in muddy conditions and are pretty expensive to replace.

They also pump up quite a bit on long descents although I have nothing to compare them against until two weeks from now when i visit Pisgah with a different brand(formula b4 pro). Consider a bigger front brake if you do lots of really long descents.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super E
    I was curious about the weight difference so I weighed each complete system (including rotors, bolts, cables...everything).
    Super E.......... Was there a significant gain in hub weight, or did you already have disc hubs?
    Last edited by kustomz; 03-15-2005 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=heavyg]Why not try it both ways? How long does it take to switch out brakes and fork with the right tools? half hour? fifteen minutes? QUOTE]

Alot depends on your bikes cable routing. Some bikes (like my turner) require you to remove either the lever or Caliper inorder to feed the break line through the frame. Then you are looking at a re-blead or purge to remove air in the line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast