Thread: New BMC FS01 29

bikerpilot

New BMC FS01 29

Got my new bike built up last week and first rides this past weekend. Still waiting on the new fork, so haven't gotten a final weight yet. The fork on there now is a 2012 RLC, I sold the stock fork and ordered a 2013 CTD w/ Trail Adjust to replace it.

Changes:
    Roval Carbon wheels
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Easton EC90 110mm stem
    Ergon GS1 grips
    Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11s
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph (currently Snakeskins for rocky race this weekend, will be EVOs normally)
    160mm rotors

I have been riding a 2012 SF29 since last February. It was a very impressive bike, I loved the handling and the suspension pedaled well. I was a Specialized devotee for many years before, but that experience was enough to persuade me onto this bike for the long term.

Compared to the SF29, the difference in weight is very noticeable when moving the bike around on the trail. I never really noticed the weight of the SF29 before, and I still wouldn't say it was bad, but now whipping around on the FS01 the difference is very apparent. I'm not sure I can feel any difference accelerating (no climbs around here to really feel a difference on) but the handling is clearly lighter. The frame stiffness helps in the corners, I thought the SF29 was stiff but this one holds a line even better. I had been using these wheels on the SF29 also so the differences I'm feeling are in the frame. The rear suspension is plusher, probably due to the new damper with the Kashima coat and the new bushing at the top shock mount. I wouldn't say it's more active under pedaling though, just plusher through the rough. I didn't feel a huge difference between the Descend and Trail positions, but Climb is very stiff, pretty much locked out. Feelings are subjective, but the proof is in the numbers: my first 2 days on the bike I set 8 new PRs, 3 of them KOMs. It's fast.

There are some great deals out there right now on the X0 SF29 and I recommend it highly if that's your pricepoint, but if you're looking for an ultimate race or trail bike light stiff and fast, the FS01 is the ticket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New BMC FS01 29-photo-jan-19-12-31-08-pm.jpg  

BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great looking bike! I wish that these bikes (FS01/TE01) would get more recognition as they are fantastic bikes to ride and look at.

I look forward to more feedback as time goes by.

two wheel whore
    Is there any weight loss in the frame from last year? Or is it mostly in components?

bikerpilot
    I'd say most or all is frame. The build is pretty much the same from the SF29 (all X0) and everything I've added was also on that bike. I had weighed the SF29 at 26.5 lbs with Crest wheels and Eggbeater 3s. I never got to weigh it with the Rovals and the 11s. Out of the box with the Onza Canis tires, Easton EA70 XCT wheels, Fox CTD fork, EA90 stem, Fizik saddle, 180 rotors, tubes and plastic test pedals the FS01 weighed 24.5lbs. Some of that loss would be in the fork as I understand the 2013 forks are lighter than the 2012. After I get my new fork on I'll get a weight with all my changes. I estimate it to be about 23(bathroom scale guess) with the heavier fork and Snakeskin Ron/Ralph.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

I'd rather be riding
    Looks great. Makes me want some white GS1's for my bike.

bikerpilot
    Finally got the bike on the scale today. 22.48 lbs with pedals and the build above, except the fork is now a 2014 Fox Factory F29 100mm CTD w/Trail Adjust and 15mm axle. The bike continues to impress.

New BMC FS01 29-pre-oc-2013.jpg
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ