Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point1.htm

Looks pretty interesting. Frame looks similar to the performance Access 9r frames (not the same though, don't be confused, look at rear dropout and downtube/headtube weld) But I do dig the look of the frame, and I want to know how it rides (curse you BD for no testridability). I would like to see this frame with higher end componentry (Hint-Hint Mike, if you're listening) And I think with a paintjob over ther "Gravity" logos, it would look really sweet.

Thoughts? comments?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ewwwww. Just when you thought BD couldn't get any more "budget".......

mtbr member
    Looks janky.

Like most of their stuff.
    :wq

AZ
    banned
    Look's like a Walgoose.

Ground Pounder

The cheese

It hurts my eyes...

The 29Point1 adds to those race winning specs; a smooth shifting SR crank
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

mtbr member
    Hey looks better than anything else in the price range. It is a "budget" bike after all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro
    Ewwwww. Just when you thought BD couldn't get any more "budget".......
    They've had bike far cheaper and lower quality than that for a long time. Someone has to provide the low-budget options with inherently worse parts, and it just so happens to be a niche that BD pursues a lot. Have you seen how crappy the $300-400 "mountain" bikes look from Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc?

Former Bike Wrench
    Almost guarantee that is a Ideal Bike made frame (same company that makes Fuji, Windsor, and the Access 29er frames).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What makes a bike look good or bad?

It's just an aluminum hardtail like a so many others. Compared to like kind bikes (aluminum 29er hardtails), what makes this one look icky? (yes, "icky" is a technical term)

mtbr member
    It seems a bit overpriced. For just $100 more, the Windsor 29er Comp comes with a Dart 3 with lockout and BB5 discs. I'm not crazy about the Alivio/Deore deraillers, but they are good enough to get you down the trail with a little adjustment.

However, for my money I'd rather forgo the suspension AND the gears and get a SE Stout: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/se/stout.htm
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just like how the frame looks, looks way less janky than the windsor 29ers, and less plain than the moto's. Just needs paint over the logo.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    blaaah

Never trust a fart
    I'm with mtbbiker72. Frame looks like its from Ideal. Ideal makes good frames. I'm currently riding one with my Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er and absolutely love it.

I do agree the graphics could have a been better thought out, but if I was on a really tight budget, which a lot of people are, I wouldn't snub it at all. Nothing a pinstripe removal tool can't take care of and some imagination.

The Suntour XCT fork is pretty much equal when compared to a Dart 3 as far as price and features go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks great. What do you want for under $500? Me personally I want Ti.
    I can dream...

REALLY?
    I hate it, looks like a trek/specialized/niner clone...now you mention it, I don't care much for the aforementioned bikes either.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

AZ
    banned
    Wally clone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-dloqgx.jpg  

New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-gravity_29point1_silver_600.jpg  

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Terrible. Horrible. Bad. Not good. Walmartlike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I mean, some of what I had came from the garage, but I recently sold two bikes and trades some others to builder a 29er 1x9. I have Velocity Blunt to XT hubs, a White Brothers carbon fork and a Fuji Tahoe SL frame. It is a sub 400 dollar set up.

Sometimes it is better to just sit and see what comes up on ebay and craigslist.

Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Wally clone...
    Whats the name of that Wally bike, I wanna do some research to see.

Edit: Not a clone, look at the headtube, the Wally doesn't have an intergrated headset, and it looks like the dropouts are different too, hard to tell in the pictures though.

John has a long moustache
    I don't think that rear derailleur could handle the last 2 gears.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I mean, some of what I had came from the garage, but I recently sold two bikes and trades some others to builder a 29er 1x9. I have Velocity Blunt to XT hubs, a White Brothers carbon fork and a Fuji Tahoe SL frame. It is a sub 400 dollar set up.

Sometimes it is better to just sit and see what comes up on ebay and craigslist.

Just sayin'.

/\ This, sometimes you should just save a little more money so you dont have to ride crappy bikes.

I am the Tin Man!
    Says it compares to $1100 bikes from other mfg, more like the $500 bikes.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041V2FR0/...SIN=B0041V2FR0
    $1100 will get you a Giant XTC, nothing like fudging the facts in your advertising.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point1.htm

Looks pretty interesting. Frame looks similar to the performance Access 9r frames (not the same though, don't be confused, look at rear dropout and downtube/headtube weld) But I do dig the look of the frame, and I want to know how it rides (curse you BD for no testridability). I would like to see this frame with higher end componentry (Hint-Hint Mike, if you're listening) And I think with a paintjob over ther "Gravity" logos, it would look really sweet.

Thoughts? comments?
    Thank you
    I think you will find the gravity 29er line is most like the aluminum fisher 29er hardtails
    And that the point 2, point 3, point 4, and point 5 models will be up on BD site in a few days

Once these bikes get in the hands of enough riders there will be little question that their quality, weight, and performance will equal bikes selling in bike shops all over the USA

A point 6 model will be added for 2012 which will be even higher spec than the 2011 point 5 (which is X9 / Reba )

It takes time for some to understand what new bikes like these are about
    But it will come around

mtbr member
    Mike, I can't help but wonder: With all these new models coming in, where is that Full Suspension 29er that's been talked about for the past 6 months?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Mike, I can't help but wonder: With all these new models coming in, where is that Full Suspension 29er that's been talked about for the past 6 months?
    Five medium to high end Moto 29er FS models coming in JUNE

Several lower to medium level gravity and Dawes 29er FS coming this fall

Thanks for asking

Also bringing all those in framesets
    For those that want to change over a hardtail

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect

Thanks for asking

Seems like everyone and their mother now offers a carbon 29er. When will you offer one?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I'm with mtbbiker72. Frame looks like its from Ideal. Ideal makes good frames. I'm currently riding one with my Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er and absolutely love it.

I do agree the graphics could have a been better thought out, but if I was on a really tight budget, which a lot of people are, I wouldn't snub it at all. Nothing a pinstripe removal tool can't take care of and some imagination.

The Suntour XCT fork is pretty much equal when compared to a Dart 3 as far as price and features go.
    This is very interesting to me
    The GRAVITY look of minimalist decals on mountain, road, and lifestyle bikes has been very well received. We get lots of positive comments on the low key look.
    However the new Dawes 29er line will be more "colorful" and the entry HT will even be lower in price

I do think there is a place for all price ranges, assorted looks, different designs and lots of choices!!

mtbr member
    we want more 29er ti frames too!

Its got what plants crave
    Def need to offer a cheap carbon 29er Mike!
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Seems like everyone and their mother now offers a carbon 29er. When will you offer one?
    Good question
    And I could do a moto or Windsor or gravity CF 29er tomorrow

But the truth is I do not like CF for off road bikes
    MTB or CX. You will note we have done

Someday we may sell a GT or Kestrel or Fuji that is off road CF
    But not on a brand I design

I feel if you fall off and hit a rock with your frame you should be able to get up and ride without worrying

likes to ride bikes
    For an entry-level bike, it's awesome. A big problem with getting people involved in the sport is the cost of entry. They just balk at the price. Get them hooked though and they'll think nothing of dropping 5 grand on a bike (cough cough).

A bike like this is actually ridable on trails vs. a Wal-Mart bike which is pretty much useless on a real mountain bike trail.

I ride bicycles sometimes
    oops double post...sorry

I ride bicycles sometimes

Thanks for asking

This is awesome news!. Guess i know what frame im getting in June!! Whos excited?

...unless this is somekind of sick april fools joke.... :|

mtbr member

Thanks for asking

Mike,

This FS will be my next bike. Would like to start gathering some parts when will we be able to get the exact breakdown on the component specs/prices and also things like seat post diameter, handlebar width, etc.

The reason I ask is I would like to swap some peices between my HT and this bike. And maybe move over the front fork from your FS to my HT as well and then get a 120mm thru axle for your FS. Just thinking about it and would like to start collecting parts this next month or so.

Also what colors are the high end models? I heard silver (again!)?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Good question
    And I could do a moto or Windsor or gravity CF 29er tomorrow

But the truth is I do not like CF for off road bikes
    MTB or CX. You will note we have done

Someday we may sell a GT or Kestrel or Fuji that is off road CF
    But not on a brand I design

I feel if you fall off and hit a rock with your frame you should be able to get up and ride without worrying

Business must be booming! To easily have the ability to produce a CF 29er and opt not to means that you are missing a HUGE % of potential consumers.

The % of damaged CF frames that are based on rock impact is tiny. Seems like you might be overlooking something IMO...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Carbon HAS come a long way and is very impact resistant at this point, that is, at least expensive carbon. Cheap carbon on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.

mtbr member
    Carbon HAS come a long way and is very impact resistant at this point, that is, at least expensive carbon. Cheap carbon on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.
    Just like with everything else BD they'd use the same frame manufacturers and materials as the big name companies. The website would likely say "Compare to $10,000 super bikes from Specialized, Giant, Trek." I'm sure it would be fine.
    :wq

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac
    we want more 29er ti frames too!
    On the water
    and should be on BD and BI in the next few weeks

later we will get the new 2012 Ti Monster Cross frameset also [this I think will be popular]

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuze911
    This is awesome news!. Guess i know what frame im getting in June!! Whos excited?

...unless this is somekind of sick april fools joke.... :|

No April fool's joke
    Today [april fools day] is my wedding annverisary and that is no joke!

FS 29er framesets will go on presale 30 days before they land
    and at a really nice price

banned
    Sep 2010
    On the water
    and should be on BD and BI in the next few weeks

later we will get the new 2012 Ti Monster Cross frameset also [this I think will be popular]

Spy pics of Monster Crosser and F/S 29er? Happy Anniversary by the way.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Eh? How is a friction-damped fork with a mechanical lockout (XCT) "pretty much equal" to a hydraulic fork with rebound adjust and hydraulic lockout (Dart 3)? Perhaps you were thinking of the much better Suntour XCM-LO hydraulic fork (not to be confused with the non-hydraulic XCM-MLO version).
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Eh? How is a friction-damped fork with a mechanical lockout (XCT) "pretty much equal" to a hydraulic fork with rebound adjust and hydraulic lockout (Dart 3)? Perhaps you were thinking of the much better Suntour XCM-LO hydraulic fork (not to be confused with the non-hydraulic XCM-MLO version).
    They're certainly quite similar though. Plus there is no XCM line for 29ers

*The Dart and all those Suntours are coil spring forks with preload adjustment. No difference there

*The TurnKey hydraulic lockout on the Dart functions pretty much the same as any mechanical lockout. Both companies claim to have a blow off system for big hits if the lockout is left on. No useful difference there

*The Suntour does lack rebound adjustment, which is not good

*The fact that the Dart damper is hydraulic doesn't necessarily make it much better, though there likely is at least some difference. The damper on my wife's Dart certainly doesn't perform very well, squishing and/or bouncing around when you don't want it too, then packing up and getting harsh at other times

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Having ridden both, IMO the suntour is better than the Dart. The dart is the only fork I have ever ridden and decided that the bike would be better off rigid. But my dart may have been defective, since it would make a knocking noise at every big bump, and still got about 20mm of travel while locked out.

Master of Disaster
    Having ridden both, IMO the suntour is better than the Dart.
    We're talking about the Dart 3, right? That's still a cut above the Dart 2 or the utterly craptastic Dart 1. And "the Suntour" - that's the XCM-LO and XCR-LO you're talking about I assume? The low-end XCT is an awfully basic fork with skinny stanchion tubes.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, My Outcast came with a Craptastic Dart 3, but as I said, mine may have been defective, because mine was REALLY bad. and that's the only time I had ridden a Dart.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    Spy pics of Monster Crosser and F/S 29er? Happy Anniversary by the way.

No early shots of pre production FS 29ers yet
    But we are doing Monster Cross in Steel, Ti, and Aluminum [as I think there should be lots of price points available]

First AL one is below
    There will also be an APEX version in AL
    Gravity Zilla below will take any tire from 700x28c to 29x2.2 and comes with 700x45c

get down!
    c'mon dude...buy an ad...I'm not trying to see that POS over and over again
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pic. Not my thing but interesting...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    c'mon dude...buy an ad...I'm not trying to see that POS over and over again
    We have purchased ads on MTBR and RBR for years
    I think you will see them on the home page

I am not at this time trying to promote our Monster Cross bikes; as they are not in yet and will not be in for months

However, there were posts & PMs asking for 'spy' pictures; the ones I posted are all I can supply right now

I know Monster Cross will not be for everyone; but it is an interesting catagory that I hope more manufacturers get involved in

mtbr member
    Mike, buying an ad on mtbr doesn't give you the green light to turn so many threads into product roll-out announcements. The word subtle must not be in your vocabulary. If your product is good the customers will speak for you. You don't see other company reps bumping threads any time their product is mentioned do you?
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Mike, buying an ad on mtbr doesn't give you the green light to turn so many threads into product roll-out announcements. The word subtle must not be in your vocabulary. If your product is good the customers will speak for you. You don't see other company reps bumping threads any time their product is mentioned do you?
    Looks like the classy move for a MOD would've been a PM regarding this stuff.
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm just glad to see a MOD finally taking a stand, it's like a nonstop commercial around here.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

DID YOU NOT SEE THE REQUEST POSTED BY A MEMBER FOR "SPY PICTURES"

funny thing is: he also wanted FS 29er pictures which I could not supply

And I agree; you do not see other reps on forums much
    ever wonder why?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    I'm just glad to see a MOD finally taking a stand, it's like a nonstop commercial around here.

Post was put up by a member about a bike we offer

I responded to requests made by other members

please read the entire thread

Next Time a post is put up about Brand X in the 29er forum; we can see how fast it gets moved. The way I read this action is: any post concerning just one brand needs to be moved out of the general 29er forum. Fair is fair; all should be treated equally

Master of Disaster
    Who moderates the moderators? Time for a Super Mod to step in.

Busting out a vendor in public for answering questions about his product is 'subtle'? I guess mods can swing a big stick and only little people need to be subtle. Mike seems like an alright guy and his products are a unique and popular niche in the market. The information he provides is of great interest - especially upcoming products. MTBR should be encouraging vendor participation not rudely shutting it down.
    Last edited by Clones123; 04-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I wish more company reps would come on here and actually answer questions about new products. It would be one thing if he posted these pics unsolicited. But I also suspect had similar posts been made by someone from a big company that you would not have thought it was a big deal.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Someone asked about monstercross, and about BD putting one out specifically. If this isn't the place to post such pictures, I'm wondering what is. You are the mod, so do what you will, but a little reason goes a long way. I like your quote BTW...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    OK, first of all, the thread is titled: "New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?"

What content did you think was going to show up? And if you're so upset by the "commercial" going on, why did you click the link? Nobody is force feeding you this thread, so if you don't like it, don't read it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    if you don't like it, don't read it.
    Yes! exactly! and in Mike's defense, the photos he posted were 100% relevant to the Discussion! someone asked for pictures of what is essentially in the same line as the the bike the thread was made for (It is still a Gravity 29er, after all).

Master of Disaster
    You are the mod, so do what you will, but a little reason goes a long way. I like your quote BTW...
    I'd like the mod's quote better without the misspelling - there is only one "e" in argument. I'm fond of using a spell-checker plugin in my browser to catch things like that before I post (IeSpell for Internet Explorer works great).

Too bad this thread got yanked from the 29er Bikes forum. Numerous past discussions about the Access XCL 9r from Performance never got moved to the obscure "Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers" forum.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Wow.

Thanks Mike for answering the questions asked. He wasn't bumping the thread he was answering the questions. I think this mod needs a new job...

I also believe it is crazy that this thread was moved it was in the right place the first time.

mtbr member
    this thread is relevant to the 29er forum, so I have moved it back.
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mike, keep up the good work!

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    what are the brakes on that drop bar bike?

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    The ones on Mike's bike look like Tiagra Brifters. The Tiagras are the "Alivio" of the Road Bike components.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

Green Wrencher
    So how quality are the frames from BD and Motobecane?

Say a Fantom 29er elite versus a GF Mamba? I like the G2 geometry feel of the Mamba's ride and am undecided.

Is the Motobecane a worthy comparison?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i don't know about vs a GF mamba, but my Motobecane outcast 29 handles beautifully, and it seems to be strong as hell, I beat the hell out of it, heavy trail riding, lots and lots of jumps, urban assault, had a couple of bad crashes, and the frame has shown no signs of giving up.

I've had it for about 8 months, with very heavy usage, I have no idea how many miles, but I have a trail that is basically in my backyard that I hit up almost daily, usually more than once per day. But I almost always make time to run through there before work and such.

AZ
    banned
    G2 geometry is specific to Fishers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDTigger

Say a Fantom 29er elite versus a GF Mamba? I like the G2 geometry feel of the Mamba's ride and am undecided.

I would take this question to the Motobecane forum, you will probably get better and more information.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X
    I would take this question to the Motobecane forum, you will probably get better and more information.

Really?

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X

Thanks, I will

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I dont mean to stir the pot, so to speak, but I feel like the BD pictures always look so... cheap.

*Note: I have seen some Motos in person and have been surprised.

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08
    I dont mean to stir the pot, so to speak, but I feel like the BD pictures always look so... cheap.

*Note: I have seen some Motos in person and have been surprised.

Saw one on someones rack today, looked pretty good. I almost wanted to stop them and ask for a test ride!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry

Brakes on the ZILLA are Tektro LYRA with 160mm frt and 140mm rr; designed to work with drop bar brake/shift levers

On a another note on Zilla - which has been bought up buy other members.
    The hydro formed TT is designed to lower standover while allowing tall HT
    Many buyers want a 'compact' type design in a CX bike; so I decided to add that extra comfort in this monster cross bike; and as the bike maybe used for about anything and with tire changes can effect standover [big diff from 28c to 29x2.2] -- I wanted to add the extra 40mm [about 1.5 inches of standover from the formed TT.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by RDTigger

Frames on Motobecane, Gravity, Windsor etc are exactly the same quality as on Fuji, Trek, Fisher, Specialized etc

Moto Fantom 29ers ride a bit more aggressively than Fisher 29er; bit less comfy; bit quicker. Gravity 29er Point series rides exactly like a Mamba as far as feel and handling. I guess 29er Point 2 or 3 would compare to a Mamba; but 'ride' on all would be just like the Fisher AL 29er series

mtbr member
    When are we going to see hydroformed tubes on Moto?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Moto Fantom 29ers ride a bit more aggressively than Fisher 29er; bit less comfy; bit quicker. Gravity 29er Point series rides exactly like a Mamba as far as feel and handling. I guess 29er Point 2 or 3 would compare to a Mamba; but 'ride' on all would be just like the Fisher AL 29er series
    G2 geometry?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    When are we going to see hydroformed tubes on Moto?

It is true; Motobecanes are more traditional in look. And there does seem to be a market and following for that. However, new FS 29er, 2012 AL road line, and all Ti Motos tubing that is a bit more 'modern'

On the flip side; adding lots of steel in Moto which will look very 'old school'

I understand cyclists like choices; so I will try to have something for everyone

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    G2 geometry?

Gravity 29er HT angle adjusted to allow use of standard offset forks
    ride is no different

banned
    G2 geometry?

G2 geo is patented and belongs to Fisher.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum
    G2 geo is patented and belongs to Fisher.
    I have never heard that; nor do I think it is correct

However, my main concern is that forks delivered on our bikes are standard and that forks in line with industry standard can always be used on our frames

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Gravity 29er HT angle adjusted to allow use of standard offset forks
    ride is no different
    Sorry to rain on this parade, but the geo between my Xcal and the Gravity HT are different.

have never heard that; nor do I think it is correct
    Really? Seriously? The Fox and Rock Shox forks have a proprietary offset. They cannot be purchased aftermarket.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Sorry to rain on this parade, but the geo between my Xcal and the Gravity HT are different.

Really? Seriously? The Fox and Rock Shox forks have a proprietary offset. They cannot be purchased aftermarket.

I think the geo charts should be clear; but I do not know what your Xcal is in geo
    from what I can tell Gravity 29er geo is same as Fisher 29er AL except for HT angle [which is adjusted for standard forks]

Proprietry and Patented are very different terms; and I do not beleive there are any patented geos; at least I do not know of any

Patenting a geo I think is much different than a feature like a horst link, DW Link, etc
    Of course, please note I am not an attorney nor a specialist in patents

Maybe a patent specialist will read this and chime in

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Do you understand that changing fork offset is not patentable ? By your logic if easton agreed to make 40" carbon bars ONLY for specialized bikes and not sell them themselves then that means no one else can make 40" bars.

AZ
    banned
    The correct term is proprietary, and G2 is proprietary to Fishers. Copying Fishers geo accomplishes zip without the G2 offset, hence the different HT angle on the motos.

Green Wrencher
    And the madness ensues.

....The Moto has different geometry than a G2m but the Gravity line is identical. Check out the geo of the Point 1 or 5

mtbr member
    Really?

My point was kind of facetious, I didn't want the thread to get derailed. Because than all the haters can come start calling us all shills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Do you understand that changing fork offset is not patentable ? By your logic if easton agreed to make 40" carbon bars ONLY for specialized bikes and not sell them themselves then that means no one else can make 40" bars.
    Wait. Thats not how it works?

I said "proprietary." It is there in my post.

Im not a BD hater; if you look you will see that i own a Dawes Deadeye. I understand BD's place in the market and I have read every long thread on BD versus other brands. BUT, you cannot say that the Gravity handles just like a Fisher G2 if it doesnt have the same ht angle and fork offset... that is basis for G2.

I didnt mean to start anything on this thread. The ridiculousness just got the best of me.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Wait. Thats not how it works?

I said "proprietary." It is there in my post.

Im not a BD hater; if you look you will see that i own a Dawes Deadeye. I understand BD's place in the market and I have read every long thread on BD versus other brands. BUT, you cannot say that the Gravity handles just like a Fisher G2 if it doesnt have the same ht angle and fork offset... that is basis for G2.

I didnt mean to start anything on this thread. The ridiculousness just got the best of me.
    Oops. You're right, should have been replying to roadie scum.

mtbr member
    It is a well known fact that Kinesis is the source of all of Motobecane frames as well as most of the other brands Bikes Direct carries. Kinesis also does every aluminium hardtail Trek offers now. If you are riding a Trek 4300-6700, you have a frame from the same factory Motobecanes come from.

? It's all about value. If you value warranty and generally solid customer service, buy the Trek version. If you can work on your bike yourself and aren't worried about a frame failure, go BD.com. Nothing wrong as long as you look at these things from a value perspective.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq
    It is a well known fact that Kinesis is the source of all of Motobecane frames as well as most of the other brands Bikes Direct carries. Kinesis also does every aluminium hardtail Trek offers now. If you are riding a Trek 4300-6700, you have a frame from the same factory Motobecanes come from.

? It's all about value. If you value warranty and generally solid customer service, buy the Trek version. If you can work on your bike yourself and aren't worried about a frame failure, go BD.com. Nothing wrong as long as you look at these things from a value perspective.

Fit, its about fit. If it does not fit well it is not a good value at any price.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    this thread is relevant to the 29er forum, so I have moved it back.
    Thank you I was enjoying it until the Mike/BD bashing started

FWIW,I have yet to buy anything from BD,but I do now own a BD bike second hand though-very decent bike for the price point,and I see nothing wrong with him answering questions-including spy shots (more please!)-when asked,it's not tasteless spamming,more like doing what he was asked to do. I mean no offense to the dude what was complaining,but nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to open and read it,right? So if it bothers you,don't do it no'mo

Personally,I wish more bike companies would come on here like Mike does,as it is though,he seems the only one to care enough to spend that kinda time chattig with us "little people"...or maybe they don't wanna get flamed from the dude what was complaining and others like that maybe?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    I would love to get a look at some of these Gravity's. BD's retail arm Cycle Spectrum recently closed their store in Plano - a suburb of Dallas. With BD located in Dallas and their warehouse in Garland you would think they would maintain a retail presence in the area. I came real close to buying a Moto last year after riding one at CS. I really liked it and was close to buying it. But after they wanted to charge me $100 over the BD price and wouldn't budge (to cover their cost of assembly and lifetime tune-ups) - yeah right, I went elsewhere. None of the other CS stores charge more than BD. Why this one?

Pity. I know that BD has some good values but the lack of a retail arm in their back yard doesn't instill confidence.

Oh, and I do enjoy Mike coming on here and providing useful information on new products and soliciting information. I wish more mfg's would do the same.

Pity. I know that BD has some good values but the lack of a retail arm in their back yard doesn't instill confidence.
    Oh I know. Why just yesterday I took my car over to Tire Rack to have my tires rotated. While I waited I ran in to the local Amazon store to buy some books and browse. I walked next door to Newegg for a new router then hopped on over to ING Direct to cash a check. I may run by Overstock.com later to see if they have any good deals on cycling shorts. All-in-all it was a productive afternoon.
    Last edited by dr.mediocre; 04-07-2011 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtx77
    I would love to get a look at some of these Gravity's. BD's retail arm Cycle Spectrum recently closed their store in Plano - a suburb of Dallas. With BD located in Dallas and their warehouse in Garland you would think they would maintain a retail presence in the area. I came real close to buying a Moto last year after riding one at CS. I really liked it and was close to buying it. But after they wanted to charge me $100 over the BD price and wouldn't budge (to cover their cost of assembly and lifetime tune-ups) - yeah right, I went elsewhere. None of the other CS stores charge more than BD. Why this one?

Oh, and I do enjoy Mike coming on here and providing useful information on new products and soliciting information. I wish more mfg's would do the same.
    I know!!! I went to Jacksonville on business and drove by a store called "Bikes Direct" I had to stop asked if they were affiliated with BD.com and they said yes. They charged the exact same price as online but charged tax which they said really works out to an assembly charge. I got on a couple bikes that's when I decided to buy one online. I have even thought about talking with Mike about opening a store in ATL. I think it would take off.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    I have even thought about talking with Mike about opening a store in ATL. I think it would take off.
    I don't know - with the cost of inventory, retail lease, employees, insurance, advertising, telecom & utilities...it all adds up. You think the increase in units moved would pay for a store in Atlanta year-round? I'm not saying it wouldn't - just that I'm not sure.

Remember that the surest way to make a million dollars in the bike business is to start with two million! LOL.
    IMBA member #234701

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Fit, its about fit. If it does not fit well it is not a good value at any price.
    This is way many customers are happy to learn Gravity road bikes fit exactly like a Giant Defy and that Gravity 29ers fit exactly like a Fisher 29er.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mediocre
    Oh I know. Why just yesterday I took my car over to Tire Rack to have my tires rotated. While I waited I ran in to the local Amazon store to buy some books and browse. I walked next door to Newegg for a new router then hopped on over to ING Direct to cash a check. I may run by Overstock.com later to see if they have any good deals on cycling shorts. All-in-all it was a productive afternoon.

I like your style

AZ
    banned
    This is way many customers are happy to learn Gravity road bikes fit exactly like a Giant Defy and that Gravity 29ers fit exactly like a Fisher 29er.

I would humbly suggest that if the gravity 29ers have a different HT angle than a Fisher then they do not fit exactly like a Fisher. It may be close, but it is not exact.

mtbr member
    MIKE FOR PRESIDENT!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5