Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was following this thread for a while before I ordered my 29.4 frameset from BikeIsland (grey, no stickers). I just got it yesterday and thought I would throw it on the triple beam balance at school.

19" Frame (with headset cups): 2012.86g = 4.44 lbs.

RockShox Recon 29 Silver TK Solo Air Fork (with crown race): 2238.70g = 4.94 lbs.
    (SRAM lists the weight of this fork at 2069g)

My box arrived in good condition. there is a tiny bit of paint rubbed at the outside of the dropouts. No big deal. There is a bit of a sloppy weld (in my opinion) where the left chain stay attaches to the BB. so a smaill portion of the bearing surface on the edge of the BB has a dip at the weld. The rear dropouts didn't quite fit the shipping spacer, so I measured them. they are about 137mm (2mm wide) I don't expect this will be too much of a problem.

$349 shipped. The fork alone + shipping goes for that.

I am currently considering getting the BB faced just make sure everything lines up just right. That will run me $40 at my LBS.

So far, I am pleased. We'll see how it comes along.

Since this is my 1st post, I expect that very soon I will accused of being a fanboi of Bikes Direct. I can hardly wait. (I got my via Bike Island, I could get just the frameset and NO DECALS)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mike,
    Any news or photos of the new budget full suspension 29ers?

"Several lower to medium level gravity and Dawes 29er FS coming this fall"

Gramps
    Nov 2011
    After reading discussion about the "Zilla", I have a little experience. Mine came a couple of days ago, pretty good bang for the buck. My purpose is to use as a winter bike here in the northeast (nasty salt). I've only ridden a few hours around the "hood", dirt road and just a bit of single/double track. A bit slower shifting than I'm used to. but it works. I fendered it for winter road riding. For me, it is well worth the $499. Just sayin.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The guy at BD is very helpful, he has every right to advertise as much and where ever he wants including in a forum. I bought a Gravity 29er for my wife, she loves it

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hmm i dont get the guy sayings the 40-60% off thing is bs. i compared 2 midrange? bikes a trek x-caliber and the fuji tahoe 29 pro. both seem pretty much the same to me though ill grant you the fork on the trek is better. reba rl vs tora 318 air but the rest are all sram x7 though im not sure if the juicy 5s are better/worse than elixir 1s. fuji sells for 799 xcal 1539. maybe thats why they post those msrp because those are the price points their name competitors sell their bikes for? myself im going with a lbs not because i dont like value but because for tuning/repairs im a total newbie. plus ill be getting free tuneups for life on the bike so that more than makes up for any savings. but if i was more confident and skilled i probably would go bd or some other online retailer for the value and the fact is where i live i have to travel hours to get to a good lbs which sucks.

mtbr member
    gillotte is absolutely correct. Elsewhere (or perhaps even in this particular forum, can't be sure) I have posted that the bike I bought a few months ago (Motobecane Titanium Fly Team 29er) came with parts that, valued relatively conservatively, add up to more than the cost of the entire bike, which basically means I got a titanium frame for free. I would have expected some sloppy welds or even something broken out of the box for that price, but what I got was precision welds on a beautiful, lightweight frame that is both stiff and compliant, and has similar geometry to a lot of the top of the line 29er hardtails in existence. How one could argue to me that I didn't get an amazing deal is beyond me. The facts are clear, and at least in my experience, I can't imagine getting a better deal on such a fantastic machine.

Rocks belong
    Finished some upgrades on the 29point5, here's what I've added/swapped/changed:

Time ATAC-S composite body clipless pedals
    Sunline XC-1 75mm stem (with an extra steerer spacer under the stem)
    RaceFace Deus riser bar, 680mm width
    Clarks lock on grips
    Origin8 non QR seat post clamp
    Seat post off my Giant OCR2 road bike
    WTB RocketV saddle with Ti rails
    LizardSkins Jumbo chainstay guard

I've also got a Blackspire C4 ring god bash ring to replace the big ring (ground some teeth off today), but I haven't installed it yet. 2xBash is the perfect setup for CO, otherwise you'll end up using your big ring as a bash and ruin it inside of 5-10 rides.

The parts I took off the bike (stem, handle bar, saddle, seat post & clamp) were all frickin' heavy! It was amazing how much even the seat post clamp weighed!

Once I got all of the goodies installed, I went and cranked out 12-13 miles at JeffCo's Centennial Cone Open Space Park. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdirragon View Post
    I'm curious on the weight of that build of yours. I know it won't be the lightest at all, but do you know what it weighs? Just wondering.
    Don't have a scale at home. Maybe I'll be able to wheel it in on the shipping scale at work one lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdirragon View Post
    Good riding, be safe, and have a blast on that bike!
    It's a blast riding a hard tail 29er... I'd forgotten how sloppy you can get on the up-hills... No rear suspension to bob or aborb the energy. Just stand and crank and the bike leaps forward. Yeah, it DOES beat the crap out of you on downhills though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-img_0086.jpg  

New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-img_0087.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very nice looking!! Im interested in how much weight you have shaved off with the replacement of the no name parts. I would like to get a new wheelset for my 29.3 that would shed a ton of weight off the stock but im a poor college student.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice bike, hokiebrett.

Please do tell us your new weight and previous weight, if possible. I've been wanting to upgrade my Point's handlebar, stem, and seatpost because I, too, have noticed they're heavy. I already changed out my seat with a seat from my road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So i got bored and decided to do some weighing of stock components
    Stem (90mm) : 220g
    Bars: ? I didnt want to take the stock grips off which need to be off to get the brakes off
    Seatpost: 305g
    Seat: 420g (From wtb)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought a Gravity 29 point5 for my wife and we both love it. I use it for my HT 29er when I want a change up from my FSR 29 expert. I think it is an excellent value for the money

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nateeprasan View Post
    3 years later, I wanted to change that 29er to rigid fork. They can remember me so I've got a friendly deal. My LBS figured out which rigid fork to fit my bike, I paid $130(fork)+$40(labor)+tax. This steel fork is $120 MSRP (I can get it online for $90) and 445mm-axle-to-crown (so it's not suspension corrected)
    So your LBS charged you $10 over MSRP for a fork, another $40 to install it (5 minute job), and you think that is a "friendly deal"??

mtbr member

Friendly overpriced deal

Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    So your LBS charged you $10 over MSRP for a fork, another $40 to install it (5 minute job), and you think that is a "friendly deal"??

it's cutting and swapping the forks (I can do it in 15 minutes if I have those cheap specific tools).

BTW, you noticed how dumb I was. I called it "friendly overpriced deal."
    I'll never buy anything from LBS again if they don't have a killer deal.
    Now I don't care about that "support your LBS" bullsh*t slogan.

mtbr member

Good job!

i ordered a 29point1 last week, got it a couple days later. i did a 12 mile ride this weekend. this is my review.

DISCLAIMER
    first of all, i acknowledge that this is a trek / fisher clone. i am comfortable with that. i am also comfortable with supporting a global marketplace through internet retail. lastly, i am not a racer. i do not take myself too seriously in regards to biking. i ride no more than once a week, and usually do between 8-16 miles a ride. i am not looking for a top of the line bike, and i know i did not buy one. and i am comfortable with that as well. so take any criticisms based on those points elsewhere. i think those were all beaten like a dead horse at the beginning of this thread

BACKGROUND
    i was riding a dawes deadeye (from bikes direct) i bought as my first bike. it went from a SS rigid with rim brakes to it's final stage as a HT 1x8 with disc brakes. i decided to move over some of my upgraded components on the new bike since they were nicer than stock on the 29point1. i'm parting out the deadeye and new take offs from the 29point1 now.

WHY I CHOSE THIS BIKE OVER OPTIONS
    1) i have a bikes direct bike already and have been satisfied with it. so i had no fear of quality.
    2) for the price, i got better components. i live in texas so i had to pay tax. my total was $487 or so. i saw a wahoo for $550 (plus tax) and a marlin for $600 (plus tax) or so at my LBS. but those are just 24 speeds and use cheaper derailleurs. they also had a specialized hardrock for $500 but that is just a 21 speed. performance has a GT on sale for $400 (plus tax) but that doesn't even come with disc brakes.
    3) i had settled on the trek frame because the geometry is so significantly different than every other entry level bike frame i could find. (specialized, GT, scott, raleigh, giant, etc...) however, the forks used on treks have an offset that is unique to trek. that means if i used my rockshox fork on the trek, i would lose some of their G2 geometry. bikes direct uses standard offset forks and adjusted the head tube angle to compensate for that. this means when i upgrade my fork, i am able to retain the designed geometry. that was huge to me.

SETUP
    like i said, i removed the stock fork and wheelset and replace it with my tora solo air fork and velocity blunt wheels. i also removed the stock brakes and just reused my novela equivalent tektro IO brakes since the new calipers will sell for more than my used ones. my old platform pedals looked better than the stock platforms on this bike, so those also got moved over as well. finally, i decided to keep my old saddle as well. it's not upgraded but i was comfortable on it so i decided to just keep it and sell the new one.

swapping parts added a little bit of extra time to my setup time so i won't complain about that. also, i'm slow when doing repairs, so take that into account as well. but the derailleurs were both in need of adjustments. it took me a good 20 minutes to get the rear dialed in. the front derailleur functioned enough to change gears but needed fine tuning. but i so tired of spinning gears after doing the rear i just left the front alone for the time.

finally, my back tire is a karma 2.2. that is a tight fit on the back. on the deadeye, i had plenty of room, but this bike gives less space. it took some persuasion and adjusting to get it in there, but that was an aftermarket wheelset, so you can't hold that as a negative to the quality of the bike. however, note that the back wheels need skinny tires. also, i guess i should note that my blunts are 32mm wide, so that makes the tires sit wider as well.

MAIDEN RIDE
    i took it to a local trail i have ridden before so i could compare. for handling, it is a little tough for me to say the exact source of the handling differences between the 29point1 and the deadeye. i do not know what proportion to attribute to geometry or the different handlebars. reason being, the handlebars on the 29point1 are significantly shorter than those on my deadeye. but on the deadeye, i would occasionally have to really fight with bike to corner. not on this bike. in fact, i had to really adjust to how quickly the bike reacted while steering. and it responded very differently to going over roots and off small drops. a couple times i got a little squirly from that but kept the bike upright. i did, however, go off course once and ended up wiping out. nothing more than a bruised ego, though. i decided to slow it down the rest of the ride.

when i got to tighter quarters and had to navigate through trees and obstacles, the 29point1 was amazing. i was able to twist and turn in a way the deadeye never could. this is really why i wanted to the different geometry - improved 29er handling. and this bike delivered completely.

going from a SS to a 1x8 to a 27 speed is quite a jump for me. i was able to do just about every climb i hit. i only had to stop if i came to a big root on the backside of a sharp turn. i just am not yet able to carry enough momentum through the turns to make it over those. but, i really like the extra gears. and i chuckle at that because it seems most people start with geared bikes and then move to SS for the simplicity. but i am going in the opposite direction there. anyway, i digress...

other than handling, i am not sure exactly what else to comment on. i reused my old brakes, wheels, and fork, so i cannot comment on that. once i had the rear derailleur set up, it shifted great. the standover is lower on this bike than my deadeye (and most same sized 29ers from any other manufacturer) so i appreciate that. i have short legs and a long torso which is tough when most 29ers have unusually high standover heights. to get the long top tube, i need a bigger frame. bigger frame = higher standover. so, i am glad to get any extra space in that most sensitive of areas.

on the way home from the trail, i did decide to drop off the bike at the shop to have the rear wheel adjusted. i don't have a truing stand and my "zip tie to the frame for a point of reference" method of wheel truing failed me here. so, i will let the professionals handle it from here. and while they're at it, i will let them adjust out the front derailleur as well. for what it's worth, this is just the second time i've had to take my bike to a shop for something i couldn't fix myself.

SUMMARY
    overall, i am extremely satisfied with my purchase after one ride. look forward to getting back on the trails and getting to know the bike even more. i think as i get familiar with it, i will become even more pleased. it's good stuff and i rate the bikes direct 29point1 as a "buy".
    it's fun to do bad things

mtbr member
    after a few more rides, i'm still adjusting to the narrow handlebars. with the riser bars, i'm unable to get the brake and shifter levers far enough inside for my liking. i might switch to a flat bar to see if that helps.

other than that, i love it. the bike handles so much better than my old one. i can maneuver through tight spots like never before.
    it's fun to do bad things

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I put a new wide easton bar on, made a big improvement. For my hardtail, it is plenty of fun. I still prefer to ride my 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er I9s..
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

All built up

Quote Originally Posted by mr.smith.pdx View Post
    there is a tiny bit of paint rubbed at the outside of the dropouts. No big deal. There is a bit of a sloppy weld (in my opinion) where the left chain stay attaches to the BB. so a smaill portion of the bearing surface on the edge of the BB has a dip at the weld. The rear dropouts didn't quite fit the shipping spacer, so I measured them. they are about 137mm (2mm wide) I don't expect this will be too much of a problem.
    The paint on this frame is ridiculous. If anything metal brushes the frame, it takes the paint off. Tools, the chain, anything. I now have several tiny dings all over the frame.

In the grand scheme of things, its not that big a deal. The frame is aluminum. It's not like its going to rust. It's just annoying.

As for the build, so far I don;t think the BB shell issue is a problem.

I was initially pleased to see I wouldn't have to install the star nut as it was already in the fork. However, when you cut the steerer (you will need to do this it is VERY long), you have to put in a new star nut anyway. I would have preferred the star nut be in the bag with the rest of the headset when it arrived.

The bike rides great. So far I am pleased.
    First MTB is not even put together yet.

Crash-OW!-meter = 4 (on CX bike or borrowed 29er)

mtbr member
    Thinking of getting a gravity "point" series in the next few weeks if I can. Just wondering how it fits other riders. Just did the book standover test and looks like I have a 29.5 inch inseam with out shoes on. I'm about 5'9 1/2" with out shoes on. So short legs and a longer torso and arms. Would the 15.5 frame work for me?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonbread View Post
    Thinking of getting a gravity "point" series in the next few weeks if I can. Just wondering how it fits other riders. Just did the book standover test and looks like I have a 29.5 inch inseam with out shoes on. I'm about 5'9 1/2" with out shoes on. So short legs and a longer torso and arms. Would the 15.5 frame work for me?

Stand over is the least important criteria to use when sizing up your next ride, effective top tube length and reach to the bars would be much better dimensions to use to get a better fit. Do you have a bike that fits you well? If you do you could compare the various dimensions top find another frame that closely matches your current bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We're about the same. I'm 5'10, 29.5" SO. All torso! I'm thinking about a 17.5.

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Finished some upgrades on the 29point5, here's what I've added/swapped/changed:

Time ATAC-S composite body clipless pedals
    Sunline XC-1 75mm stem (with an extra steerer spacer under the stem)
    RaceFace Deus riser bar, 680mm width
    Clarks lock on grips
    Origin8 non QR seat post clamp
    Seat post off my Giant OCR2 road bike
    WTB RocketV saddle with Ti rails
    LizardSkins Jumbo chainstay guard

I've also got a Blackspire C4 ring god bash ring to replace the big ring (ground some teeth off today), but I haven't installed it yet. 2xBash is the perfect setup for CO, otherwise you'll end up using your big ring as a bash and ruin it inside of 5-10 rides.

The parts I took off the bike (stem, handle bar, saddle, seat post & clamp) were all frickin' heavy! It was amazing how much even the seat post clamp weighed!

Once I got all of the goodies installed, I went and cranked out 12-13 miles at JeffCo's Centennial Cone Open Space Park. Enjoy.

Don't have a scale at home. Maybe I'll be able to wheel it in on the shipping scale at work one lunch.

It's a blast riding a hard tail 29er... I'd forgotten how sloppy you can get on the up-hills... No rear suspension to bob or aborb the energy. Just stand and crank and the bike leaps forward. Yeah, it DOES beat the crap out of you on downhills though!
    Where do you live? That looks like an awesome place to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Stand over is the least important criteria to use when sizing up your next ride, effective top tube length and reach to the bars would be much better dimensions to use to get a better fit. Do you have a bike that fits you well? If you do you could compare the various dimensions top find another frame that closely matches your current bike.
    Very true. I measured up my bike which is a 16.5 26er. It's about the same as the gravity 15.5 frame. The affective top tube is about an inch longer on the point which may be nice to have a little extra cockpit space without over-reaching.

mtbr member
    Ok. So I got on a 17 inch frame with similar geometry(SO, TT) and while the top tube was a little high(it got to know my junk quite well), the reach and everything else felt so much better. It makes me feel like I've been scrunched up in my 16.5 26er. What a difference an inch or so of extra cockpit space will make. Besides that's why stems and bars come in different sizes, right?
    Last edited by Jonbread; 02-17-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Forgot context

Zero Miles from Myself
    Ok, is it just me ... I mean am I missing something? I have skimmed a good bit of this thread and many other BD threads. Read the same ol' bashers bashing BD bikes over and over ... I get that, Really I do.

BUT ... Seems to me at the price point for the specs the BD bikes are really hard to beat. I am seriously looking at a Point 5. Yes it is kinda plain. Geo is pretty decent, but the parts are on bikes that cost 1K + more. For $1099 I get a bike with very similar parts as a Stumpjumper Comp for $2200 (probably better wheels on the Stump).

But here is the deal. So I ride the Gravity Point 5 for 6 months or a year. Decide I hate the frame. I can pick up a Niner EMD frame new for $329 at Jenson USA. So now i have a Niner EMD for $1,429 ... And I can probably sell the Point 5 for $50-$100. I go to Competitive cyclists site and build up an EMD with same fork and either same parts or cheapest offered and the cost is $2835 at 25.4 lbs.

Maybe its me ... But I do not see a problem with this plan. How is this a bad deal?

mtbr member
    It's not bad at all. Most bashers either had a bad experience or are brand snobs. The only two arguments against BD that I will acknowledge is that buying off the internet doesn't help the LBS, and there's no LBS back-up if/when you have problems with your bike. Most every other complaint is hooey (or what ever description you prefer). The only thing is if you buy from BD you gotta do your own wrenching, or pay a LBS for services most will give for free after buying a bike. That's why you get such a good deal is that you're not paying for overhead and such so for the same money you get more bike but no safety net. I bought my Motobecane since I wanted to learn my own maintenance and this way I'm forced to learn otherwise my laziness will cost me...literally. It doesn't mater what the haters say though cause my bike is MY BIKE and theirs is theirs. Mine gives me all the fun I can ask for, regardless of whose name is on the down tube.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I hear you Jr. I have been a BD follower for several years. Never bought a bike of theirs, but did buy an Ibex bike a few years ago for another rider. Good experience with that deal.

As to wrenching ... I've always been my own wrench. Have no problem with that. My only draw back with personal wrenching is odd parts and tracking them down. I have no source for things like internal fork parts and odd things. But as far as an LBS is concerned. I bought my last 2 road bike there. Great deal, great relationship ... but every time they wrench for me I have to follow it up with my own tweaks. I find my own joy and pleasure in riding and wrenching.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

29er which bike???

Sup everyone! Im looking to get a new bike for about 600 bucks...
    I went to a local store today and road a raleigh talus 29er 18'' and it seemed okay $599, I am 240lbs i use to ride bmx, trails, parks exc, i looked on BD and they had some similar bikes like the gravity point 1234... 1 is 450 and they go up to 800 bucks. my question is which one should i get if any? and is the extra bucks for the points is it worth it.
    i plan on riding alot, im just gettin to old for the skate park falls thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought a Gravity Point 3 for my wife for $750. I think it was well worth the extra money for the upgrade in Components and fork. I wanted to be around $700 so I couldn't find anything even close for the money. You do need to conpleatly assemble the bike when you get it so you need to know a little about bike maintenance. The wheels were a little out of true and the cables had a wierd bend to them, the pedal seamed to be bent possibly. But still all considering it is still a lot of bike for the money and a great value for a brand new bike. She loves it and I ride it when I want to ride HT and it works just fine for me (160lbs). The only thng is the fork on the point 3 is a bit weak for your size you may want to get a better fork, like spend just a little bit more and get something you will actualy have some fun on. Or go with a full rigid bike. In the $600 range you wont get a very trail worthy bike for your size and experiance level.. You need to have a buget of about $1K

mtbr member
    Just got my Gravity 29 629 SS rigid which cost $350 shipped. Have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

About 28 lbs and quite a few WTB parts. Went together well and looks almost too good. I bought it to replace my nice commuter bike that was stolen a week ago and wanted something with no bling and cheap so it won't hurt as bad if it goes missing. Definitely still have to lock it up.

I would have never thought you could get something this nice for $350.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My GT Peace 9er where it should be
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-imag0192.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Just got my Gravity 29 629 SS rigid which cost $350 shipped. Have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

About 28 lbs and quite a few WTB parts.

I would have never thought you could get something this nice for $350.
    How are the brakes and cranks? Any problems?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDfromBR View Post
    How are the brakes and cranks? Any problems?

Well I've only ridding it on the street for about an hour but so far no worries. The cranks are Truvativ.

I had read really bad things about the brakes but I set them up and washed the rotors with soap before I road and they work fine. Not sure how they would be on a steep trail but for the street, which is predominantly where the bike will be, they are good. Rotors are straight, as are the wheels.

The bike has WTB rims, saddle, tires and grips.

The only thing that is wrong that I can find is the chain tensioners, nut tuggers. They work but just barely. They don't line up with the rear of the drop outs. The bolt has to bend to contact. They should spec a different tensioner and all would be good.

The paint may be delicate. It's gloss black. Basically everything is black and looks good. Even black spokes.

I found some $5 cogs today at Universal so I ordered some smaller ones for street 14 15 and a 20 for trials. It comes with 33 18 gearing.

Also bought some $2 water bottle cages. This is so the opposite of what I usually shop for in bikes. It's fun seeing how cheap you can get it and still have it work just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does anyone have a picture of the Gravity 29 Point3 in the MatteGray color? I would like to check it out before I make a purchase.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I "love" how the first few posters rip the OP and this frame. Please ... This frame has the same geometry as the Trek Cobria and Superfly AL Elite except for a .2 degree diff in head angle. And it looks pretty slick too IMO. It may be a boat anchor with junk tubing and bad welds (I have no idea on that) ... but it looks as good as anything else out there minus the snappy paint jobs.

I got to do a 10 mile / 30 + min test ride on a Superfly at a local weekend event on single track XC with some rock piles, logs and a few rock garden drops. Love the Geo. I had read some issues some riders have switching from a 26 to a 29er. I had none of those feelings. There was no learning curve in handling and cornering for me. Not to say it was the same ... it is different, But it gave me not trouble. Cant say I liked it any better than the ride of my 26" Spider - just different. But I could clear my one troublesome rock pile much easier. Definitely to me like a 29er has slower acceleration ... yet better sustained momentum. Felt overall faster than my 26 wheel on the same trails, but have not data to prove that. Also, it is a hard tail no matter what the big wheel fan boys say. I "felt" it ... but it is not bad.

Still undecided on a 29er ... but I think if I get one it will be a BD Gravity Point??. The Geo Felt really good.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    I "love" how the first few posters rip the OP and this frame. Please ... This frame has the same geometry as the Trek Cobria and Superfly AL Elite except for a .2 degree diff in head angle. And it looks pretty slick too IMO. It may be a boat anchor with junk tubing and bad welds (I have no idea on that) ... but it looks as good as anything else out there minus the snappy paint jobs.

As long as it looks good.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    As long as it looks good.
    Read the start of this thread rocket scientist ... the first half a dozen posts were bagging on the looks. All I'm saying is it looks fine to me ... not that looks make a bike ... come on troll.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Read the start of this thread rocket scientist ... the first half a dozen posts were bagging on the looks. All I'm saying is it looks fine to me ... not that looks make a bike ... come on troll.

You also commented on the geo trying to allude to it being "the same as" . You are being disingenuous in your argument trying to candy coat this POS.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    You also commented on the geo trying to allude to it being "the same as" . You are being disingenuous in your argument trying to candy coat this POS.
    I did indeed say "same ... except". Do a side by side of the 2 I listed and this bike my friend. The only diff is the .2 degree diff in HT angle ... everything else is the same. I like a steeper HT angle. So the .2 diff ... if you will even notice it, will only be more toward my liking.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Disingenuous ... yeah that's me and what I have been doing on this forum for the last 5 years. There is no similarity at all between the two bikes ... oh wait ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the Gravity 29 Point3 in the MatteGray color? I would like to check it out before I make a purchase.
    Check out the 29Point4 - it shows a photo of the matte gray. AFAIK, the Gravity 29Point series all have the same frame (although diff colors), just different components.

The Gravity frame is nearly identical to the Trek G2 29ers. I almost got a Point4 but ended up getting a close out 2011 Cobia.

AZ
    banned
    Disingenuous ... yeah that's me and what I have been doing on this forum for the last 5 years. There is no similarity at all between the two bikes ... oh wait ...

If you are suggesting that they are the same or share anything other than a similarity in geo, then yes you are being disingenuous. Just because the numbers may be similar does not mean they are the same. There is much more to a frame than the simple numbers and attempting to draw parallels would be futile.

Zero Miles from Myself
    If you are suggesting that they are the same or share anything other than a similarity in geo, then yes you are being disingenuous. Just because the numbers may be similar does not mean they are the same. There is much more to a frame than the simple numbers and attempting to draw parallels would be futile.
    Post #434 ... ". It may be a boat anchor with junk tubing and bad welds (I have no idea on that) " Nope no sugar coating there. Simply said the are nearly the same in Geo ... a key factor in handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just purchased a point3...can someone please tell me this isn't a piece of junk

AZ
    banned
    Simply said the are nearly the same in Geo ... a key factor in handling.

Agreed.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Agreed.
    You can't ride them ... so you have to find something close if you are even considering a BD Bike and want a "test ride" My logic goes back to post #424 ... any thoughts. Still seems like a decent plan to me.

AZ
    banned
    I just purchased a point3...can someone please tell me this isn't a piece of junk

Its not junk, a suitable entry level mtb that with proper care and upkeep should serve you until you upgrade .

AZ
    banned
    You can't ride them ... so you have to find something close if you are even considering a BD Bike and want a "test ride" My logic goes back to post #424 ... any thoughts. Still seems like a decent plan to me.

Get someone to post a reliable frame weight, that would tell you a lot. Its not the whole story but its a start. Overweight frames tend to feel dead ime. If it comes in at a reasonable weight it could be a viable option. Ride reports would be nice but they tend to be unreliable because most owners are as noob as noob can be. Try to find a good ride report. Even as inexpensive as they are, its only a bargain if it suits your needs. Keep us posted.

Edit: And all you noobs, please do not take offense, there is no elegant way to say your noobs.

Zero Miles from Myself
    You're fine ... unless you go huckin it off a house or something

Destroyed my Moto...

Zero Miles from Myself
    Get someone to post a reliable frame weight, that would tell you a lot. Its not the whole story but its a start. Overweight frames tend to feel dead ime. If it comes in at a reasonable weight it could be a viable option. Ride reports would be nice but they tend to be unreliable because most owners are as noob as noob can be. Try to find a good ride report. Even as inexpensive as they are, its only a bargain if it suits your needs. Keep us posted.
    Weight .... good point. The Cobria I rode at the shop had SunTour on it. I am guessing around 5+ and entry level fork since the RS Recon on the Point 4 weighs about 4-5lbs. The Reba RL on the Pont5 weights about 3.5 lbs and that is why I would even go with the P5 over the P4 ... for the upgrades and price point of $1099. I had the shop weight the Cobria and it felt OK when I rode it at 30.5 lbs. I could not have the Superfly weighed as it was at an event on the trials. But I am sure it is lighter than either the P5 or the Cobria (and is should be at $2309 msrp). But with the parts on the P5 (except the heavy wheels and tires) it seems like a good deal ... even if I swap the frame later.

If I ever get one ... I will break the whole thing down before I put it together and weigh every part. (see my page 2 sheet on my Spider )

Edit: And all you noobs, please do not take offense, there is no elegant way to say your noobs.
    Blah ha ha ha ha ... LMAO

AZ
    banned
    Wheels is probably where I would not be afraid to spend some money, big returns for the dollar. Tubeless Ready for sure.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Wheels is probably where I would not be afraid to spend some money, big returns for the dollar. Tubeless Ready for sure.
    But would a wheel upgrade pretty much cancel out any "deal" one is getting on a BD bike in the first place?

The wheels on the Superfly AL Elite are

Bontrager 28-hole FCC alloy front hub, Shimano M525 SL 32-hole alloy rear hub; Bontrager Mustang Disc 29 rims, Tubeless Ready
    Wondering if these wheels would be that much lighter and better than the BD Point 5 choice.

WTB SPEED DISC 29x32H rims, Black anodized Aluminum with Gravity Hubs by Formula Sealed Ball Bearing Disc with Quick Release
    The Prowlers on the P5 are probably pretty heavy ... but would be tubeless not long after I took possession. (And would probably swap them early on too)

AZ
    banned
    But would a wheel upgrade pretty much cancel out any "deal" one is getting on a BD bike in the first place?

The wheels on the Superfly AL Elite are

Wondering if these wheels would be that much lighter and better than the BD Point 5 choice.

The Prowlers on the P5 are probably pretty heavy ... but would be tubeless not long after I took possession. (And would probably swap them early on too)

Now you get into what many people have tried to point out in many of these threads. How much of a bargain is it when you start talking about upgrading a new bike? The same can be said for any new bike but most will agree the wheels on the moto are truly in need of an upgrade. Add the price of a wheel set and draw some some comparisons. The margin begins to narrow, making it more difficult to choose.

Zero Miles from Myself
    But wondering ... are the Bontrager's that much different in weights than the WTBs. ... Guessing so as one is a 28 and the other is a 32 spoke.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Now you get into what many people have tried to point out in many of these threads. How much of a bargain is it ...
    OK so been reviewing all the Gravity Point Models and searching the wheels on the web ... It would seem the Wheel Set is the same across the entire Point model line up. On the entry level models (1, 2 and maybe even the 3) not a bad choice for the price point. But if buying the bike for a parts hanger ... in the 4 and 5 the WTBs are a marginal choice for the price and at $1399 for the Point6 it does not seem like a good choice at all. The only real upgrade from the 5 to the 6 is going up to XTR and maybe cranks - for $300.

So for the money, it would seem the Point 5 would probably be the best parts to price choice - and even at that with the WTB wheel set it is still marginal if you dont want entry level and dont want to repalce most parts with a frame upgrade. Going higher to the Point6 really starts cancelling out the "value". Would be nice if the 5 and 6 had a more competitive wheel set.

But keep in mind ... a Reba RL by itself goes for $439 and maybe just under $400 on ebay.

mtbr member
    Any criticism of a $350 no shipping serviceable 29er is shite.

Until this point in time (thanks China) there is no way you could have every gotten this quality for that price.

I bought one for commuting and after changing out the rear cog to a 15 tooth (33 front) the bike works great. Stamped steel $5ea at Universal btw. The cheapo brakes even work well, if you know how to set up brakes.

I didn't weigh mine (19) but a friend weighed his 21 inch and it is 28.3 lbs. Not really that bad at all.

They aren't bespoke art but there is nothing wrong with the welds and the frame is thin wall tubing and the frame is likely powder coated so no worries there either. The flared head tube with integrated headset is pretty trick. The fork is beefy and may translate into a stiffer ride but hey it's a rigid bike, no matter what people think rigid bikes are RIGID. I'm sure a custom $3000 steel frame would feel better, if you could find one for $3K, but that is a ridiculous comparison. Almost any aluminum rigid frame is going to be stiff.

I don't need the bike to perform off road so I can't comment on that aspect. I have FS for that.

The bike handles well and the components and wheels (WTB rims and tires) are fine.

It's $350! bros.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Any criticism of a $350 no shipping serviceable 29er is shite.

I don't need the bike to perform off road so I can't comment on that aspect

It's $350! bros.

Your joking right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    Your joking right?
    Try and think a little more abstractly. Just because I don't need it to perform off road doesn't mean that it won't. There is nothing odd or really crap about it or anything at all that makes it incapable off road. So I don't really understand your point.

I have no vested interest. I don't sell bikes. I'm just saying there is no reason not to buy it if you are looking in that price range. There are lots of others too but I happen to buy this one.
    Last edited by modifier; 03-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Get someone to post a reliable frame weight, that would tell you a lot. Its not the whole story but its a start. Overweight frames tend to feel dead ime. If it comes in at a reasonable weight it could be a viable option.
    FWIW to anyone who may find this thread and wonder. Someone did weigh the bike and frame. Here is the findings for a 15.5. I would guess the 17.5 might be 100g more + or - But this weight is actually pretty on par with other frames in this size.

Quote Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
    I bought the Gravity 29point5 in size small from Bikes Direct last week. It arrived Monday. Out of the box it weighed 28.8 pounds without the pedals that came with it. I installed a Stan's No Tubes kit, swapped the entire cockpit, and put on my Crank Bros. Candy pedals. It weighs 26.6 now. The wheelset is heavy (~2260 grams). The tires are kinda heavy (725 grams each).This bike could weigh less than 25 pounds without going totally crazy on a new wheelset and tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
    Just in case anybody is curious, the 15.5 inch Gravity frame weighs 1832 grams (4.04 lbs) one my digital scale. That is a shade over 4 pounds. That weight includes the derailleur hanger and maybe a few grams of dirt.

Perfectionist with ADHD!

It's Mike!!

Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    Thank you
    I think you will find the gravity 29er line is most like the aluminum fisher 29er hardtails
    And that the point 2, point 3, point 4, and point 5 models will be up on BD site in a few days

Once these bikes get in the hands of enough riders there will be little question that their quality, weight, and performance will equal bikes selling in bike shops all over the USA

A point 6 model will be added for 2012 which will be even higher spec than the 2011 point 5 (which is X9 / Reba )

It takes time for some to understand what new bikes like these are about
    But it will come around
    Hi Mike, tell me if I am wrong but here is what I see.

I am a 6 week owner of a Trek Cobia. Two weeks ago I realized I have serious buyers remorse. While I love my bike, it cost me $1099.00 plus a couple of small additions. When I look over the Point 4 or Point 5, the components are 2-4 steps higher in quality, but right on par in price.

Tale of 2 29er Hardtails

Example 1: Deraileurs on my bike are SRAM X5- the Point 5 has SRAM X.9
    Example 2: Crankset is SRAM S800 ($78 retail)- the Point 5 has FSA V-Drive ($135)
    Example 3: RockShox Recon Silver TK- the Point 5 has Reba Fork ($200 difference)

The Biggest Surprise
    Example 4: The frames have the same Geometry

Now there are more differences, but all of them are an improvement in the Point 5 over my new Cobia...and the pricing is IDENTICAL.

I could have bought a HECK of a lot more bike from you, then I did/could have from my LBS for a TON less money!

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    I also was considering several different 29er HTs from different LBS. Primarily considering Trek GF and Specialized. Finally decided on the Gravity 29point1. I might have purchased one of their "higher" models with better specs but none of those were available in my size, 21/large. Upon purchase and setup by my Cycle Spectrum store, I realized immediately that I would like to upgrade some of the key components.

First up was the crank/bottom bracket. Upgraded to the Shimano SLX HollowTech II with external bearing bottom bracket, and WOW what an improvement, the new/better part combined with the adjustments that the install tech at my LBS did to the derauillers made it like a new bike. Pedals and shifts smooth as butter now.

Next up was the brakes. Axed the Tektro Novellas and got Avid BB7s with 180mm G2 clean sweep rotors front and rear. Bike actually stops when I need it to now, and no fussing with finicky hydraulics.

So I've upgraded the going and the stopping now to upgrade the handling. After much research I got the Manitou Tower Expert 100mm fork and upgraded the spring to the firm. VERY nice upgrade.

Also have done some comfort upgrades. New pedals, stem and grips. The Ergon GP1 grips are outstanding. Totally solved my problem with hand numbness and turned my rides into 2 hours of fun, not suffering.

I now have a crackin' ride that I am very happy with. Total amount of money spent including original bike/assembly, parts and installation of those parts - $1200. By the way the bike weighs just over 31 lbs in the 21" frame size, not too bad.

Look around at the various offerings from Specialized, Trek, Fuji, and others and you will see that in the $1100 - $1350 price range NONE of those bikes surpass mine and many are inferior in their key components. Almost all those bikes come with low to middle components, most come with crappy Suntour forks. Great example the Specialized Rockhopper comp 29 comes with a Suntour fork, Shimano Acera and Deore ders and Avid Elixer 1 hydros for $1100. Really?

One interesting bike in this class is the Jamis Dragon 29 Sport, chromoly frame, Manitou Tower Expert fork, SRAM X7 ders - NICE bike for $1350 but this bike is an exception not the rule in this price category.

As far as my bike goes, yes it is a Gravity frame, but it is loaded with nice components and rides like a champ. The frame is supposedly very similar to the Gary Fisher G2, I don't know if that's true or not and frankly I don't care. The frame is probably made by the same company either in China or Taiwan using the same materials and technology. How much different could the two frames possibly be? And would those subtle differences even be noticeable?

The great thing is the only person that has to be happy with my Gravity bike is ME!! And I am happy every time I ride it. Every time I go into my LBS and have them do work on my bike they are happy to see me and have my business. They have never looked down on me or my bike and have even commented on how nice it is now with all the upgrades I have done. If I had it to do over again I would probably do the same thing. The low initial cost of the Gravity 29point 1 gave me money in my pocket to spend on the parts I felt needed to be upgraded. I did a lot of research and shopping and got great parts for the money, which resulted in a much better bike.

In the future, if the frame turns out to be inferior, (and that's a BIG IF) and breaks I can always replace it with something really nice like a Niner EMD frame for about $350. My total outlay on the bike would still be relatively low at $1600. BTW a new stock Niner EMD is $2300.

That's my two cents on Gravity bikes, sermon over...

Rocks belong
    In the future, if the frame turns out to be inferior, (and that's a BIG IF) and breaks I can always replace it with something really nice like a Niner EMD frame for about $350. My total outlay on the bike would still be relatively low at $1600. BTW a new stock Niner EMD is $2300.
    Which is exactly what I did. After a couple rides I decided to build the Gravity frame into a cheap MTB nd sold it. Took the best parts off of the Gravity and built a Niner EMD.

Love it

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok, I am pretty sure I am going for the Gravity 29.1 but am going crazy trying to figure out what size to order, 17.5 or 19.

I am 5'9-5'10 without shoes, 185lb, 31" inseam using the book method without shoes on.

What do you guys suggest? My friend suggests the 19, I am thinking more of the 17.5.. ahhh! Help??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmblalock View Post
    Ok, I am pretty sure I am going for the Gravity 29.1 but am going crazy trying to figure out what size to order, 17.5 or 19.

I am 5'9-5'10 without shoes, 185lb, 31" inseam using the book method without shoes on.

What do you guys suggest? My friend suggests the 19, I am thinking more of the 17.5.. ahhh! Help??
    17.5" Gravity has a SO of 30.51"/775mm
    19" Gravity has a SO of 31.3"/795mm

other details on the bikes geometry are here:
    gravitybikes.com/mountain/29point1-29er-mtb.html (I can't post links yet )
    Hope this helps...

AZ
    banned
    Ignore stand over, it is the most misused figure in fitting. 5'10" w/ a 31" inseam could comfortably ride a 19" frame Moto. Visit you're LBS and try out a few to get a feel for it.

Rocks belong
    I'm 5' 10" with a short (30") inseam and long arms/reach and I felt the 17.5 Gravity 29point5 was a bit too big for me. (I used to ride a 17.5" on 26er HT's)

My Niner EMD is a 16.5-17" and the fit is perfect

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    I am 6' 2" and bought the 21 frame. I thought it was WAY too big for me at first but a lot of that was adjusting to the 29er. Now I love it and can't figure out how I ever rode the old 26 bike

My suggestion is to find a LBS that has the Trek Gary Fisher bikes and test ride the various frame sizes of those. The geometry of the Gravity 29point series is supposedly very similar to the GF G2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am 6 feet tall and went with a 19 inch. I shortened the stem to 75mm (I dont like riding with long stems on mountain bikes) and went with a 710mm wide flatbar. I have a couple inches of drop between the seat and the bars. It fits great. The setup is very comfortable for me. I find the cornering excellent; due in large part to the wide bars and position I am placed. Great for climbing too. Pete

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys, I think I will try the 17.5!

AZ
    banned
    This is an excellent resource to aid you in selecting the proper size frame geo.

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I'm close

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5280 View Post
    Ok so is there on here who like my self is 6'1 and 280? and who rides a 29er since that's what I want to buy.
    I was 315 and 6 foot when I bought my first 29er. Gary Fisher Cobia. I love it. I have a short lower torso and long arms and uper torso so the G2 geometry fits my body well. The bike I have had for 2 years and it's still going strong.
    It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."

Mousey
    Aug 2012
    Ok.. had to throw in my 2-cents into this cheap bike discussion.

I bought a Gravity 29Point1 from Bikes Direct.
    I was laid up with a broken collarbone and had time to assemble it properly.
    The shifting tweaked nicely (I'm used to making Target bikes behave).
    I loosened all the hardware for fastening the disc caliper to the mount and wrapped a rubber band around the pull and centered it by adjusting the static pad. Works great.

I've put 300-400 miles on it and have a few things to say.

It's heavy. What a truck !!
    But, it seems to cover ground faster than my old Novara 26".
    I am still using the WTB Prowlers that came with the bike they are superb but i'm shopping for a 700 x 38 to see what 80-psi will do :-)
    Cornering is very predictable and my toes never hit the tires.
    The 29" wheels really do make a difference in climbing curbs and softening the jar of bumps and once you get that milk truck up to speed the momentum really helps against the wind and inclines.
    I ride with the fork locked quite often and have grown to like it that way (I do rail trails).
    It shifts very smooth and dependable.
    You can panic stop it without doing an OTB header. The stock discs brakes are very good.
    They squeek now / then but i don't care.

In short... all I've added is a bag for my phone and patch kit, a pump and that's it.
    All the stock components have served very well and I have no complaints at all.

BTW the cheapest way to get a lighter bike is to lose a few pounds off the mid-section :P
    Gravity ... is a harsh mistress

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I also got this bike and really like it. I've put some abuse on it and it takes it very well. I don't feel it's very heavy, I weighed mine today at roughly 31lb, the same as my friends 26" Garg Fisher.

Mousey
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmblalock View Post
    I also got this bike and really like it. I've put some abuse on it and it takes it very well. I don't feel it's very heavy, I weighed mine today at roughly 31lb, the same as my friends 26" Garg Fisher.
    I swear it seems to weigh a lot over my old 26er. Sooner or later i'll have to get my feet on a scale and hold the bike eh :-)
    Gravity ... is a harsh mistress

mtbr member
    I'm looking at buying a Gravity 29er but I'm not sure about the frame size. It appears that the single speed Gravity G29 frame doesn't have the dimensions advertised on bikesdirect. Would any of you be willing to measure the Effective Top Tube length of your 29point1? I put a post up here: Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS? - Page 8 - Mtbr Forums explaining the issue and the following post is directions on how to measure it if you're not sure.

I really like the feel of the Trek G2 bikes (same geometry) but want to make SURE that this is going to be the same... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and it was this long thread that brought me here. I had been researching the Gravity 29Point1 and wanted to find something about it, google lead me here. I read just about all of the 400+ posts and here I am 9 months from the last post. I'm half expecting to be called a shill but the latter set of replies seemed positive.

Here's my deal, I presently own a Fuji Absolute 3.0, I've added a carbon fork and upgraded the wheel-set. It serves me well for road & path. I want to get into a solid entry level mountain bike so I impulsively bought a Specialized Hardrock (26er, no disc, low level components). I realized this was a little TOO entry level for me, other than the name Specialized, it's not much of a bike when you sum up the parts. I debated upgrading the bike but I don't know enough of cassette / component compatibility to do it right. Also, it's a 26er and I am now leaning towards the larger 29 wheel. I shouldn't have a problem getting what I paid for it, it's still 'like new'.

This morning I purchased the Gravity 29Point1 and expect it mid next week. The components look to be mid-range, or at minimum above 'entry' level. It's got about the same component set that came on my original Trek FX 7.5. I realize the fork is probably junk, but I'm thinking for what I'm going to use it for, it should be fine. I don't plan on hopping over rocks, I'll be on the 'easy' trails for the first set of rides.

I'll probably be back to post a review / pics but I don't have a mountain background so it will be more general, I won't be able to talk in depth about geometry or fork rebound.

One argument that went back and forth on this thread was whether or not to purchase from your LBS or online. I have a great relationship with my LBS and expect to use it for accessories and service outside my skill-set. I bought my upgraded wheels there also. My LBS has a very limited stock of new bikes, in fact he's trying to go entirely resale. I almost hesitated to ask him if he could order me a bike because he's much more focused on the service & accessories side of the business. He does have a Trek OCLV Carbon Mtn bike for $600 but it's $600 and over 10 years old. I know Trek has some great mid/higher end bikes but the age & carbon scared me off.

The next closest 'bike shop' is a national chain and it's almost like Best Buy for bikes. I got a great deal on my Fuji Absolute about 5 years ago then they closed the store and now the closest is about 30 min away.

So that's my story, I'm hoping this bike meets my expectations and I can advise on the brand "Gravity". Thanks for all those who helped on this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bike Received / Put together / Tuned by LBS (PICTURES)

Received the bike yesterday. I was able to put most of it together but brought it by my LBS to look everything over.

• Bike came in a large brown box, see pics below.
    • The fork came backwards with the brake cable detached
    • The frame was covered in foam or cardboard wrapping of some kind, well protected
    • The box was in decent shape with one hole (seen in pics) but nothing that affected the bike
    • The LBS had to true the back wheel, not much but wasn't perfect
    • Bike Weight - With bar-ends & bottle holder = 34.5lbs

<b>Impressions</b>
    I'm eager to get it on the trail later today. I am a 300lb+ rider so I am always concerned about how the wheels will hold up under my weight. The spokes look like a thinner gauge so I'm a little skeptical. They're inline with a $400 bike though, I just hope I'm not replacing them right away.

<b>LBS Impressions</b>
    Sort of an eclectic LBS, has few <i>new</i> bikes and about as many used. While my bike was there, a gentleman tried to buy it and offered $500. Had I known this I would have sold it and bought another. My LBS owner is curious about the brand to the point we're looking into possibly stocking the Gravity brand. The tech/owner said the welds on the frame all looked good, the components and parts were all good, especially for the price. He was impressed with the build overall. We're both concerned about the wheels since he's been through this with me on my Fuji and the replacement wheels for that.

Time to get out and ride, I'll post again later with an update.

*I hope these pictures remain view-able, they're on pinterest

Box Unopened

Bike in Box

Assembled (Fork not straightened yet)

Back from LBS (My old bar-ends added & bottle holder)

Cassette & Rear Derailleur

Shifting Components Closeup

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am 5'11" 170lbs. and recently purchased a Gravity 29 Point 1 with a 19" frame, which seems to be just a tad big, but a 17.5" would probably be too small. I'm in my mid 20's and have used mostly department store bikes or "Frankenstein" type bikes my whole life. I used to do 20-25 mile treks regularly, and even did a 50 mile run in Natchez, in my teenage years, but took a hiatus from biking during college. After a bachelor party trip earlier this year where we did some trail riding in Oak Mtn State Park, I decided it was time to get back to riding. I rode some of my friends bikes out there - Trek, Specialized, Giant - and it convinced me that I needed to get a higher quality bicycle than I had been accustomed to. After unsuccessfully scouring craigslist for my ideal "quality" bike, I started doing some research for quality without the hefty price tag, and soon discovered Bikes Direct. After comparing nearly every accessory on their bikes with those of "quality" brands, I could not logically comprehend why I would pay so much more for my bike to have a "[insert name brand here]" sticker on it.

After getting it tuned, I brought the bike out for a smooth 11.5 mile ride on a paved bike path along the lake and the bike performed wonderfully. Shifting is smooth and quiet and, although she feels a little heavier than she actually is upon startup as stated by a previous poster, she knows how to get up and go. There is a more aggressive trail by the spillway that I will be trying out next to really put the bike to the test, but I'm sure it'll do just fine. My only complaint is that the brakes aren't as strong as I'd like them to be, but I suppose that's a personal preference, and I could probably just tune them to my desired grip. But then again these are my first disc brakes on a bike, so maybe I just need to get accustomed to them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Don't have much of a review, but I've been out on two rides. One was an intermediate / advanced trail. I didn't realize the trail was this level since I don't have any mtn experience. Keep in mind I don't know how the bike is supposed to handle in comparison to other bikes. The shock absorbed all the terrain the trail could offer, no jumps. I weigh over 300lbs so I was half expecting the fork to bottom out which didn't happen. I know it's an entry-level fork but I have no complaints.

Shifting was clean but I was moderate and slow most of the ride so I only shifted a few times. No issues there, wouldn't expect them from a Deore derailleur.

I was especially worried about handling with a bike this big. If I could buy it again, I'd get the 17.5 frame, I'm 6'1" and just feel like it's a very large bike. I saw BD has 27.5er coming out soon, that would probably be a happy medium between the bikes, but it sounds like that's going to be really niche and probably hard to get parts for.

I still feel like the wheels are weak but that's more of a weight issue on my part. They held up fine on the trail under my weight. I've already got the replacement set of wheels picked out if these start blowing out spokes.

The 2nd ride was on a paved trail around a lake. Shifting was fine, used the lockout on the fork which was nice. Nothing else really to report. Working on finding trails that fit my entry-level mountain bike riding. I'll keep riding and I'll find something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I picked mine up from the LBS today. I am 6'2/33" inseam and went with the 17.5" frame. It feels great! I'm glad I went with this size.
    Picked it up in grey (which looks a whole lot better in person than in the BD pic). Almost went bronze, almost.
    Only had time for a 5 minute ride as a storm was rolling in but all seemed well during that time.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by domoMKIV View Post
    I picked mine up from the LBS today. I am 6'2/33" inseam and went with the 17.5" frame. It feels great! I'm glad I went with this size.

?????????????? Seriously? FWIW, I too am 6'2"/33" inseam and comfortably ride bike frames 4/5" larger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    ?????????????? Seriously? FWIW, I too am 6'2"/33" inseam and comfortably ride bike frames 4/5" larger.
    My last mtn bike had a 21" frame and was fine. I have a road bike with probably a 23" frame, it's an accident waiting to happen but it was free (dont ride it though, lol).
    I felt this bike was very comfortable in the 17.5 configuration, saw no reason to go any bigger.
    A couple others in this thread posted similar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's not a great looking bike, and that may be an understatement. Spray paint it black? And yes, the "compare at" prices need a bit of updating imo. I skulk around BD.. Almost bought a 12' fly team for 1,299.. They did not have any left. Was interested to see the price and look of the 27.5 Fly Team they said was coming. But most of their bikes look pretty bad at the lower ends imho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I found this thread because of a search for the Point1. I was going to shell out $400 for a SS then saw the point1 for $420. I then saw a Point3 on The Island for $650 scuffs on cranks and drop outs. I mean it's a Mountain Bike it's going to have scuffs and lots of them if you ride it. $650 is way more than I want to spend. IMO it is worth the $650 for the X7, Juicy3, and TORA alone. Seeing how the Tora can be modified for Cheap.
    Good deals are not that good if you are $150 short.. those are the breaks I guess.

That left Point2 as an option. and I was in limbo because Giants 17.5 Talon 5 is $500 (local) and Gravity 27five is $550. Gravity is good on components, not what I want for frame on a 27.5. Giant's Talon leave much to be desired on components. I just fail to see the Value outside the frame there.

Anyways, three bikes for $500-$550.

Today however the Point2 was on an Early BlackFriday sale for $399.95. Oh yeah I snagged that in Matte Black. $20 cheaper than the Point1. However I almost would have bought the Point1 just to have silver.

My first Mountain Bike. There are many Mountain bikes in this $400-500 range and None of them have anything close to a Dart3, or Shimano Deore shifters, and this RD is SLX Shadow.

I did my shopping, I did my size testing... the only thing I couldn't do was sit on a Gravity first. I am 5' 8 1/4" with a 30" inseam (book style measuring) I ordered the 15.5

I suppose I can take that $100 saved and go buy a saddle and or BB7 or Hydraulics. Or some different tires.

I know the Thread is old, but the bikes are not and the information here is very relative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post

That left Point2 as an option. and I was in limbo because Giants 17.5 Talon 5 is $500 (local) and Gravity 27five is $550. Gravity is good on components, not what I want for frame on a 27.5. Giant's Talon leave much to be desired on components. I just fail to see the Value outside the frame there.

Today however the Point2 was on an Early BlackFriday sale for $399.95. Oh yeah I snagged that in Matte Black. $20 cheaper than the Point1. However I almost would have bought the Point1 just to have silver.
    You made the right choice by going for the Point2 on Sale rather than downgrading to the Point1 for a paint color. I would have preferred the Matte Black but the silver looks fine. When I was buying earlier this summer, the Point2 was $130 more and I didn't think the component upgrades were worth it.

I'm a heavy rider and have taken it out about 5x (I do most of my riding on my fitness bike). I'm getting more comfortable riding it. Still wish I sized down since the 29 weeks are so tall. Those 27.5's are tempting too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    my Only regret so far was PayPal.

I wasn't paying attention to the options and the payment was e-check. So It's a 3-5 day wait before the bike will get shipped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I figured I might want Ergon gp2 grips. Personal preference. Man this thing needs to show up.

I could probably do some other upgrades, (wheels and brakes) but I'll probably go spend my spendable income on some better winter riding gear.

Anyways about the wheels, supposedly these are 2260 grams. Is there any recommendations for inexpensive wheelsets?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am confused Same tire do I want a 28x2.15 or a 29x2.0 ?

I'd even do the 28x2.35 If I knew it would fit these WTB wheels and gravity frame without hitting the Front derailer or chain stays.

Amazon.com: Schwalbe Big Apple HS 430 Performance RaceGuard Cruiser Bicycle Tire - Wire Bead: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    I am on the 29.2 bandwagon too. Hope to get it in this week so I can ride it on Friday. Price was just too good to pass up, although I'm already planning on selling the fork and the bb5. I have a recon and some bb7's that are begging to get on there.

I don't know about the 28" tire. I don't even know if it's a standard tire size. Go with the 29" tire no mater what (700c tires work too and will come in smaller widths if you want to use the bike more for road/smooth trail use (ie rails-to-trails crushed gravel sort of stuff). I have a set of 700c x 40mm Kenda Happy Medium's that were great for asphalt and crushed gravel. Just not enough cushion for rocky technical trails. Also look for something with a kevlar or flexible bead. The wire bead will add unnecessary weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just purchased the Gravity 29.2 for 399.95 from BD. Scared that I picked a size frame to small for me but I cant do anything about it now. got the 15.5 - my stats. 260 lb 5'8' short arms and 29.5 inseam (measured whilst straddling a book as per protocol. I am a 31 pant inseam). Please tell me I did the right thing or I have the cancel the order for the second time. First cancel was because I thought the deal was a scam. (its not) Also - should I expect the rims to break due to my weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am 5' 8" with a barefoot book inseam measurement of 30" arm length not real sure.

My giant hybrid is a 19" frame at the time it was a straight up road bike, I like being stretched out, however after 20 miles that was a bad idea. It should be a 17" based on geometries of that 17 along with all of the bikes I was comfortable on Cannondale Trail, Giant talon, Haro.. I took bikes direct advice on height and ordered the 15.5
    I also cross referenced geo measurements. Between them all.
    Also,
    Based on post #398
    And also post #346 (states he is 5'10") and #348 (link to pictures of that 5'10" guy on a 17.5)
    I think I am confident the 15.5 Gravity 29.2 will be good for me. If I need more set back seat post plus a longer stem.

Yes I had spent hours researching geometries and test riding bikes at local shops. I was only debating on if I wanted to pull the trigger on the 29.2 for $499 or call the shop and get the 8 speed x5 650b Giant Talon for $511 after tax. The $500 talon left a lot to be desired but so does the $1,300 and $1,700 650b talons. Thus I was going to just do the bottom and then upgrade it my way. X7 stuff! Which brings me to how tempting the point3 was on bike island for $650.

Even at $400 for point2 the point3 size 15.5 for $650 was better buy. However I am still debating the 650b vs 29. I like the 650b better but needed a bike that could commute also. Thus the 29er wins. I may just upgrade brakes and put slicks on it call it a day. Depending on how I feel about it come spring time I'll upgrade or get a new 29 or 650b. In the mean time this makes a great inexpensive do it all bike for me. That is still more bike and $300 less than a component = Giant or Cannondale.

Seeing it for $399 was the tipping point, it will also be my first bikes direct or mail order bike.

The question is which shop do I take it to after the build to get it tried and tuned. All of them will be mad at me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    The question is which shop do I take it to after the build to get it tried and tuned. All of them will be mad at me.
    Any respectable bike shop should do it without complaining. They'll of course tell you that you got ripped off, and the general quality of the bike is so much worse, the bearings are horrible, bla bla bla. In reality, they're comparable to the sub $700 bikes from your LBS. Not great, but good.

If you're looking at a hassle free LBS experience, I'd recommend a larger chain store (REI or Sports Authority type store) that has a bike shop, or just look for the largest/cleanest bike shop in your area.

However, I've bought some bikes online, and putting them together really isn't that hard. Much better to learn to do the initial set-up yourself. You'll be able to fix stuff on the trail, plus have more confidence in identifying what to do when something just doesn't feel right. Worst case scenario, you completely fudge it up. Just undo the bolts, look up videos on youtube, and start over again. It really is that easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On topic

Watts, I saw your FB post on Bikesdirect, I really messed up using paypal and not catching that it was going to be an e-check payment.

You get yours Tomorrow (Wednesday)? hahah Paypal sucks!
    Edit: !!!!!!
    eCheck estimated completion: Oct 17, 2013 - Oct 21, 2013. We advise merchants not to ship until they receive payment.
    That will be the last time that I make that mistake!

I keep looking at BB7 or Elixer3 upgrade. Instead of that though I'll do the more important stuff Like Ergon grips (GP3), A Light (Mine is sort of Permantly fixed to my Road bike, well a bolt but still.
    Also probably flip flop/dual purpose SPD pedals, as I am guessing that half of this winter I'll be in my Wolverine boots instead of my SPD shoes.

Nashbar Soho Pedals any good?

or should I stick with Shimano Dual purpose?

Off topic

Actually my closest Local bike shop is a really good guy. He sold me my Synapse 105 at $1,250 instead of $1,550. I was just talking to him recently about the Cannondale Quick CX4 (rigid) or a Cannondale trail 29er. Outside of the Quick CX, I am pretty sure he knew ahead of time he'd lose out on a 29'er sale. I've been gripping about Cannondales idea of components on the Trails.
    I think he might give me some grief, however he understand my budget. Grief simply because he and I gripe about how stuff is cheaper on the net, and how people like Giro and Shimano etc.... are mostly to blame.
    My other favorite bike store.... meh they had a chance to sell me first on the Synapse 105. I really wanted a raw/black color with a splash of red. They and I both knew there wasn't anymore to order as they was sold out, so they wouldn't come down on the price on the one they had in stock. I simply went with a white one (for being anal about color, I am more anal about price) !! .
    They (Second shop) also sells the Giant 27.5 Talon..... however 8 speed x5?? with tektro mech disc brakes for $500 suntour XTC fork.

I'll get BB5, Deore 9 speed, dart3 for $400

Neither shop has anything to gripe about other than loyalty. And Loyalty be damned I'm on a budget.

The guy that sold me the synapse.... I'll make it up to him and buy some more accessories.

I doubt either will tell me I got ripped off, I only fear how I get treated after this. Example: the Trek/Raleigh shop because I ride Cannondale road. Or maybe because I've been in there 10 times and haven't bought anything other than a saddle bag.

mtbr member
    I like paypal for online shopping. dual protection from them and the credit card company. Never give out a bank account number.

BB7 are the way to go for mechanical (good hydro's are better, but more expensive). No problem locking up wheels with them. BB5 just doesn't have quite as much surface area. Still great brakes and they stomp tektro novelas, but not as good as their big brother.

Nothing for or against the soho pedals. Stick with shimano if that's what you're other pedals are. Good quality. I have a dual purpose shimano pedal on one of my bikes. Great for road/light trail, but if I'm on a real trail where you don't have any time, I want to click in quick and not worry about which side is up. One of the reviews on the Soho say they rotate easily so the clip is always up, but I have a hard time believing that they're that smooth after a couple hundred hard miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Had my gravity 29.1 for about 9 month 1500 miles. Really good bike for the money. I'm 220lb and ride fairly aggressively, but my stock wheels are still mostly true and wheel bearings and bottom bracket are still solid to my surprise, I used to destroy this components in half the time on similarly priced brand name bikes. It has Reba rlt and XT/SLX ice tech brakes and some other upgrades now which will be transferred to my next frame, but I never regretted going with this bike instead of brand name bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just bought a Gravity 29Point2 and it arrives tomorrow. Getting back into biking with my teenage son after a long hiatus; we'll see how it goes; both the bike and me that is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Seriously....

6 days just to clear funds? Anyways good news and hopefully BD ships tomorrow.
    I still have no idea what went wrong there.

Hello Cyclinglymie,

The $399.95 USD eCheck payment you made to BIKESDIRECTBIKES@AOL.COM has cleared.

Here are the details:

Total amount $399.95 USD
    Transaction date October 11, 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just to prove it really happened.
    New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-my-gravity-29point2_1280.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by whitey019 View Post
    Just to prove it really happened.
    That looks very nice! I went with black also.

Mine shipped now. If it wasn't for PayPal I'd be riding it right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I got the same - black Grav 29.2. I ordered new brake levers and pedals as well. From what I have read, the rims and tires are not very good and should wear out quickly with frequent use. Looking at getting replacements asap. The Dart 3 fork is also low end so that will need to be replaced eventually. As far as the Avid BB5 brakes - I have the same on another bike and havent had any issues. They are easy to adjust and clean. Something to replace farther down the road but will work for a good long while.

mtbr member
    Ordered it Sunday. Got mine in Wednesday night. Put it together (about 3 hours, but I was swapping parts and doing a pretty thorough build), but can't ride it because of rain. Curse you rain gods. Can already tell the wheels will need trued, but I'm going to do some casual road riding to get a feel for it before I true it up. I like the black much better than I thought I would. Was really afraid the lettering would be as blazing white as it looked on the BD website, but it's actually more of a metallic grey. The matt frame isn't my favorite though. Got some grease on my hands. Fingerprints and smears everywhere. If that's my only complaint, it's pretty good.

Basic info:
    Gravity 29.2

Bought the 21" and it does fit a bit large. I'm 6'5" with a 35" standover. It's got about 1.5" clearance when I stand over the bar. Very, very similar to my 23" motobecane elite hybrid.

Weight: 33lb 7.8 oz based on a small kitchen scale measuring stuff individually. Not going to guarantee my math is good. Didn't go over it a second time.
    rear wheel w/ tire - 6lb 7.7oz,
    front wheel 5 lb 0oz
    seat & post 1lb 10.2oz
    pedals - 14.4 oz
    stem & spacers - 9oz
    fork (xc28 TK) and front bb5 w/ cable - 5 lb 7.5 oz
    handlebar & levers/shifters - 2lb 10oz
    frame and everything else already on the frame (crankset,BB derailures, cables) - 10 lb 10oz

Parts:
    The bike comes with 180 rotors front and rear. Didn't notice that when I bought it. I like it.
    Handlebar has the large diameter almost to the levers. I swapped grips for some longer lock-ons grips that I have. Made moving the levers in impossible, and made mounting bike computer almost impossible. Had to jerry-rig something off the reflector mounting bracket. Probably going to replace it at some point. Heavy has heck too.
    I bought the 21" XL frame, but the fork came with the medium spring????

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11