Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you for this thread I learned a lot, I was close to purchasing the Gravity 3. Looks like a great bike, in the end I deceided to support a local bike shop and purchased a Trek Cobia. I'm just getting back into biking for the first time in 5 years. Took it out for a spin tonight and really enjoyed it.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Let me preface everything with the statement that I'm a very new rider so I have limited context for my observations!

I have the Gravity 29.1. I am 285lbs. I've taken it on the Rock trail twice so far, in the Gainesville Fla, area. I'll say that the front fork while a little soft seems to be performing well given my weight so far. Overall I'm pleased with the bike. The item I'm least please with is the gearing. The shifting is rough and slow. That may be fixed by some tuning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have now had my 29.2 for less than 48 hours and have already put over 30 miles on it. I am new to mountain biking, but the bike has carried me down some pretty steep descents and through some narrow, root covered single-tracks. I also have done some steep, long climbs and have yet to break the rear tire loose. I have had to abandon it a few times but only in times where I've taken a bad line. I can't really comment too much on the fork since I'm still tweaking it, although it seems to be doing its job. The preload adjustment doesn't seem to make much of a difference in sag or response (I weigh 165lbs). The rebound adjustment is very sensitive, and I am still dialing it in (currently have it almost all the way towards the jack-a-lope or whatever that thing is). The lockout is great for climbing, although it doesn't completely lock out which works well I think. When I forgot to turn it off during a few descents after climbing, I could tell a difference in damping, but it wasn't enough to make me lose control or anything. The saddle is super comfortable coming from a road bike. The 29" wheels really plow through obstructions on the trail and hold a line well, although I see they flex under heavy braking (don't know if this is normal?). Both the wheels and rotors aren't completely true but not enough to notice while riding. I also noticed a good amount of noise and shuddering from the rear brake (maybe needs more adjusting or is contaminated). When I flip the bike and spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the cassette wobbles ever so slightly with each revolution (no idea what would cause this).

Set-up:
    The UPS guy got here at around 6:15, and I was out on the trails by 7:00. Although, I must admit that I did not properly fine tune the brakes and derailleurs. The shifting out of the box was fine in terms of basic tracking, but I noticed that shifting was slow and I couldn't access the granny gear. It turns out that both cables needed to be tightened a fair amount (expected from shipping), and I had to adjust the range on both derailleurs. The brakes also took some fine tuning. I had to straighten the calipers and then slowly adjust both sides of each brake so they are super close but not touching. I also moved the shifters towards the center of the handle bars to give my hands more space.

Final comments:
    I think this bike is doing everything that I have asked without any problems. I don't see any reason to upgrade any of the components right off the bat. I would recommend learning how to adjust brakes and derailleurs if you order. I must say it is very nice to get out on the trails for such a low price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    All the brake noises are now gone , but now I'm getting a creaking noise when climbing hard out of the saddle.

Green Wrencher
    check all your bolts and QR's. Saddle screws and find the source.....Did you grease the seatpost, QR bolt?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ended up getting some new bars, Easton Havoc 750mm. What a huge change it makes for me, put about 12 miles on them yesterday and had a great ride.

mtbr member
    Might want to inspect the bottom bracket and crank assembly..not certain what crank you have but that certainly can explain creaking.

Quote Originally Posted by beebs
    All the brake noises are now gone , but now I'm getting a creaking noise when climbing hard out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey guys, i need some opinions on the Motobecane fantom pro vs the Gravity 29point 3.

The gravity is about $50 more and I was wondering which bike is going to be the best value. The only differences are sram x7 vs shimano xt and the different frames.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarderdude
    Hey guys, i need some opinions on the Motobecane fantom pro vs the Gravity 29point 3.

The gravity is about $50 more and I was wondering which bike is going to be the best value. The only differences are sram x7 vs shimano xt and the different frames.
    thanks
    pretty comparable really...the only xt component is the rear derailler on the Fantom and you don't have a choice on the brakes they may come with the Juicy's (i doubt it though) or the Elixer..The Elixer is the later of the two and will probably be what comes equipped on it. Fork is the same on both. If I only had that choice I would choose the gravity as I personally prefer the down tube style geometry better than the Fantom frame in which I currently have. As well color preference...the gravity 3 only comes in matte black and is soldout of the 19"&21" sizes and so hopefully you were getting a 15" or 17"....just my two cents

mtbr member
    Personally I like the new hydroformed tubes on the Gravity line by my phantom has been absolutely bullit proof. And i could be wrong but my guess is the Moto is lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    Personally I like the new hydroformed tubes on the Gravity line by my phantom has been absolutely bullit proof. And i could be wrong but my guess is the Moto is lighter.
    I'm with you on that the moto is probably a tad lighter in weight then the gravity

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by katalinagirl
    I'm with you on that the moto is probably a tad lighter in weight then the gravity

It's just preference... I have the Gravity.5 b/c he geo is identical to the G2 aerodynamics I wanted. It's a smooth ride anywhere.... Can't go wrong with either model as long as the frame is the right size. I preferred the Recon on the Gravity.4 but they were sold out at the time and went for the big daddy Reba RL. Not complaining one bit, been a great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the help! Im about 5'10" closer to 5'11" with shoes. I'm thinking either the 17.5" or 19" with a 32" inseam. The big question is what size. Guy at my lbs said 19"

mtbr member
    I'm the same height and have a Moto 17.5" but it really is borderline. Some days I think this is perfect, when on tight/technical trails then at other times on the flowy/downhill stuff I think hmm maybe the 19" would be better. My problem is my legs are short 30" inseam but I have a long torso and arms. Right now I think the sweet spot is my 90mm stem flipped with 6deg down and a flat 680mm bar.

If you are looking at the Gravity try out the Trek Cobia I think it is. They have almost the EXACT same geo and it will give you a clear picture of which is best for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, while I spent all of the research time on these gravity models, the Point 4 sold out in 19".

grr. I was placing an order, and then it said sold out. Guess I need to wait for next shipment.

I sure hope that the price point comes back after June 1... *wink*

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    I'm the same height and have a Moto 17.5" but it really is borderline. Some days I think this is perfect, when on tight/technical trails then at other times on the flowy/downhill stuff I think hmm maybe the 19" would be better. My problem is my legs are short 30" inseam but I have a long torso and arms. Right now I think the sweet spot is my 90mm stem flipped with 6deg down and a flat 680mm bar.

If you are looking at the Gravity try out the Trek Cobia I think it is. They have almost the EXACT same geo and it will give you a clear picture of which is best for you.
    I went to my local trek dealer today and looked at the cobia but didnt get a chance to ride it. the guy in the shop said a 19" which i think will be right. But im going to ride it anyways.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarderdude
    Thanks for the help! Im about 5'10" closer to 5'11" with shoes. I'm thinking either the 17.5" or 19" with a 32" inseam. The big question is what size. Guy at my lbs said 19"
    I got measured for a GF X-Cal at my LBS - I'm 6'2" 35" inseam, and they recommended a 19" frame for mountain, 21" if I mostly do commuting. I was -very- surprised, but the bike felt right. Feet flat on the floor, my pants inseam was touching the toptube, so it is pretty tight on a 29er. I'm glad I went to the bike shop, I was going to blindly order a 21" frame Gravity 29Point4.

mtbr member
    19" sounds right to me for your size.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well now they are out of stock in the 19" frame. Anyone know how long it takes for them to restock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katalinagirl View Post
    All that is left is my seat post clamp, in which I had to reorder the right size as well as some custom artwork for the frame (have to get my creative juices flowing) then send off whatever design I come up with for custom permanent vinyl decals to be created ...She goes out for her 1st test ride tomorrow to finish dialing her in.
    I'm about to order 2 bikes for me and my wife and thinking of 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_SL.htm) closeout for her (it's only available in 13").

My wife is 5'5" and inseam is 30.7". So, similar to yours.

We are still debating - 13" or 15".
    How do you fill the fit after the ride?

Thanks in advance.
    Good-bye... and hello... as always!
    Victor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xor.io View Post
    I'm about to order 2 bikes for me and my wife and thinking of 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_SL.htm) closeout for her (it's only available in 13").

My wife is 5'5" and inseam is 30.7". So, similar to yours.

We are still debating - 13" or 15".
    How do you fill the fit after the ride?

Thanks in advance.

There is really not much of a difference in the geometry of the 13" Vs 15" on this model frame and if I had the choice I would have went with the 15" and only as I like to sit high and so the seat tube is 2" shorter and so I am having to max out my seat post, otherwise, the distance from seat to bar (top tube distance) with a 100mm stem in which I believe is the same size as the Ritchey they originally had on it is perfect. If she is a 30" inseam it sounds like she is more leg giving her a shorter upper torso and so the 13" would be a perfect fit for her, no doubt on that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    100 mile report on 29.2...

Everything is hanging together. This bike really shines on fire roads or quick single-tracks. I come from the road so I am really enjoying xc style biking. I have done some slight jumps and twisty single-tracks along with all sorts of rocks and roots with no problems. The tight techy stuff is a problem though probably due to my skill and the size/weight of the bike, but I don't spend much time on trails like that.

Creaking is still there, and it definetely sounds like its coming from the BB or crank. Its just loud enough that only I can hear it. I tightened down everything, but its still there.

The dart 3 fork is doing its job, but I think I need a softer spring (I weigh around 160-165). In order to get the thing moving, I have to really open up the damper leaving me bouncing around a little more than I'd like. I think a softer spring would let me use more damper. I have noticed the fork responds well when the front is really loaded up (which rarely happens), but it isn't working well when I am seated back or standing and leaning back on a descent. Its great for absorbing big roots and rocks in the way, but the smaller vibrations are annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katalinagirl View Post
    There is really not much of a difference in the geometry of the 13" Vs 15" on this model frame and if I had the choice I would have went with the 15" and only as I like to sit high and so the seat tube is 2" shorter and so I am having to max out my seat post, otherwise, the distance from seat to bar (top tube distance) with a 100mm stem in which I believe is the same size as the Ritchey they originally had on it is perfect. If she is a 30" inseam it sounds like she is more leg giving her a shorter upper torso and so the 13" would be a perfect fit for her, no doubt on that one.
    Thanks for quick reply, just pushed submit button and ordered 2010 29Pro SL 13" for wife and 2011 29Pro 17" for myself (I'm 5'10", but with 34 inseam, seams like I will max out seat post as well).
    Good-bye... and hello... as always!
    Victor

Green Wrencher
    Keep me posted on the 17" fit.

I'm 6'1 and 34.5" inseam and the 19" was the answer. Breaking it in has felt great after 70 miles and fit seems right. The 17" i tested in the Trek/GF line felt to small for my long legs and I've grown accustomed to the cockpit but may try an offset seatpost and stem combination if i feel uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs

I got the 19" Point2 for $550 and love this bike so far! Great value and I get a lot of questions and thumbs up when I'm on my local trails:

mtbr member
    For any of you that may be interested in converting your WTB Laserdisc Trail 29'ers to a tubeless set here's how to do it. Keep in mind that you can buy the Stans Conversion Kit for this and not the one they instruct. Seems that these rims work well for this.

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/news/60/...op-Channel.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would love to see more reviews of this bike, especially from those who've been updating, for a longer term review. This bike has my interest currently.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Had this bike for a couple of months now. I am a new rider here in Florida riding xc. I am also a heavier rider at 290lbs. I absolutely love this bike! It's really holding together nicely.

Green Wrencher
    I have the Point5, since May i think. Love it, takes me everywhere I want to go on a trail. Set correctly nothing slows me down and I have been hopping like crazy and loving every minute in the seat. Once I have the seat post setup correctly I will love it more.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have had my .3 for about a month now and I would say I already have almost 150 miles of single track on it and I love it. If I were to buy again I would probably get the .5 for the reba (for weight & the adjustability), but in all honesty the tora is wonderful but heavy. People online are going to hate on you for buying a BD bike, but when im out on the trails passing people I get only positive comments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought a point 3 this spring, I ride XC about 20-40 miles a week. I'm 6'4", 205 pounds, and I've had no problems with the bike frame or components. I replaced the handlebar and upgraded the pedals and grips but that's it. I do get sideways looks when people ask me what kind of bike I have, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on performance

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schob View Post
    I bought a point 3 this spring, I ride XC about 20-40 miles a week. I'm 6'4", 205 pounds, and I've had no problems with the bike frame or components. I replaced the handlebar and upgraded the pedals and grips but that's it. I do get sideways looks when people ask me what kind of bike I have, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on performance
    What bars did you put on yours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How would you guys rate the geo of the frame? Natural/Neutral, more aggressive? I'm about to order a point2 in 17.5" but cant figure out their geo chart (unsure of the unit of measure). I'm about 5'10, 32.5" inseam. that frame seems to make the most sense but I have a slightly shorter reach I think. Curable with bars?

Green Wrencher
    The Gravity series is almost identical to the Gary Fisher geo minus the G2 offset. The Gravity comes with riser bars while the Fisher/Treks come OEM with flat sweeps. I wanted a Fisher to start but found better value in the Gravity.... Been happy ever since.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RDTigger View Post
    The Gravity series is almost identical to the Gary Fisher geo minus the G2 offset. The Gravity comes with riser bars while the Fisher/Treks come OEM with flat sweeps. I wanted a Fisher to start but found better value in the Gravity.... Been happy ever since.
    That's what I like about my Gravity Point 3. I got a really nice frame set with a geo I'm familiar with (friend has a Mamba) but I don't have to pay for "Trek's" name. Most likely the frames are built in the same factory.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thadon View Post
    That's what I like about my Gravity Point 3. I got a really nice frame set with a geo I'm familiar with (friend has a Mamba) but I don't have to pay for "Trek's" name. Most likely the frames are built in the same factory.

Yep, you didn't get Trek quality either and no, they were not built in the same factory. The plain outright misinformation in these threads is hilarious. Rave on fanbois.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Yep, you didn't get Trek quality either and no, they were not built in the same factory. The plain outright misinformation in these threads is hilarious. Rave on fanbois.
    Yeah I know I didn't trek thanks god cause it sucks. I own a trek and bought the point 3 frame a month after owning the trek. Also they are made by the same company. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry

After having such a crappy trek I'm never buying another trek. Im not a fanboy I just like having things that work.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thadon View Post
    Yeah I know I didn't trek thanks god cause it sucks. I own a trek and bought the point 3 frame a month after owning the trek. Also they are made by the same company. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry

After having such a crappy trek I'm never buying another trek. Im not a fanboy I just like having things that work.

Crappy Trek? Care to elaborate?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I hear that BD even copied Fisher's lifetime warranty. Is that true????

You might have not paid for Trek's name and "got a deal," but you also are pulling money from all of those cycling things Trek supports- beyond local business- the Leopard team, and all of this stuff.. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/compa...ieve/advocacy/

I normally don't like to get into this stuff, but I get tired of hearing the same banter over and over.

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    I hear that BD even copied Fisher's lifetime warranty. Is that true????

You might have not paid for Trek's name and "got a deal," but you also are pulling money from all of those cycling things Trek supports- beyond local business- the Leopard team, and all of this stuff.. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/compa...ieve/advocacy/

I normally don't like to get into this stuff, but I get tired of hearing the same banter over and over.
    I like my bike...you gotta problem with that? I see the same screen names bashing happy BD buyers and have to ask ...why? I can't afford a price tag heavy Fisher Mamba with Tektro Hydro's so I grabbed the Gravity.5.

Does Trek/Brand name manufactures pay you for your hours of dedication? And your plan actually backfires, it makes a happy BD customer,like myself, post MORE!!!

banned
    Sep 2010
    I like my bike...you gotta problem with that? I see the same screen names bashing happy BD buyers and have to ask ...why? I can't afford a price tag heavy Fisher Mamba with Tektro Hydro's so I grabbed the Gravity.5.

Does Trek/Brand name manufactures pay you for your hours of dedication? And your plan actually backfires, it makes a happy BD customer,like myself, post MORE!!!

There are a lot of happy customers at Goodwill Ind., whats your point that your winning the race to the bottom? And to the unhappy TREK customer, back up you assertion that TREK quality was crappy, otherwise keep it to yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Feel free to quote that part in my other post..

It seems to be that the majority of BD buyers, order from BD because they "dont want to pay for the [TREK] name" (or whatever brand). All I was saying is that BD is not only cheaper because it is factory direct, but also because BD does not have a local, national, or global team. BD does not support bike advocacy in cities. BD is not putting kids on bikes. BD is not supporting IMBA or and SORBA chapters that help keep are trails in good order... That's all I am saying. I dont hate your bike RDTigger. Im sure it is an awesome machine; so is my Fisher 29er

The only problem I have with the Gravity series is that the geometry is a direct copy of Fisher's, except the G2 offset. To me, that is a bit shoddy, but that is solely my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm being told I should be on a 15" frame base on an inseam of 32.5 and 5'9" height. I "should" be a 17-18" frame in most 26" bikes, is that pretty standard to drop a size when going 29er?

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendosa View Post
    I'm being told I should be on a 15" frame base on an inseam of 32.5 and 5'9" height. I "should" be a 17-18" frame in most 26" bikes, is that pretty standard to drop a size when going 29er?
    Go ride a 29r and see what you think of the 15" and 17" frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It all just depends. Remember, effective top tube length (ett) is the most important factor in determining bike fit.

I used to ride a 17.5" 26er (too small in retrospect). I went to a 17.5" 29er and it felt better. My latest ride is an ~18" Niner and it has a top tube about the same as my cx bike. It feels the best. It took a while to figure out what I liked.

Like RDTigger said, you have to go try a few. Of course, they should probably be Fishers since the Gravity has a similar geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How would you guys rate the geo of the frame? Natural/Neutral, more aggressive? I'm about to order a point2 in 17.5" but cant figure out their geo chart (unsure of the unit of measure). I'm about 5'10, 32.5" inseam. that frame seems to make the most sense but I have a slightly shorter reach I think. Curable with bars?
    I'm 5-10, and just got the Gravity 29.4 in 17.5. Fits perfects. No sure what my measured inseam is, but I wear 30 inch inseam pants. I could measure the SO height for ya, if you want

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFargo View Post
    I'm 5-10, and just got the Gravity 29.4 in 17.5. Fits perfects. No sure what my measured inseam is, but I wear 30 inch inseam pants. I could measure the SO height for ya, if you want
    That would be excellent if you could do that for me. I where 30" pants too, but I feel my reach is a bit shorter then average due to my build. Also as mentioned above your post, would you be able to give me the ETT of the bike as well? Any pics of you on the bike would be great too, thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I loaded some pix's to an album here

http://photobucket.com/albums/b106/V...ity 29 Point 4

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks, VTFargo for the pics. That color looks nice. Anyone have pics of the Point3? I'm not sure if the extra $100 is worth it for the Point4 over the Point3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fantastic pics VTFargo. I appreciate it. 17.5 looks ok on you when you're on the saddle but the TT is deceptively high, mid point is 32"...my stand over would be strattling the bar, litterally.. and thats a concern...especially if I have to jump off / fall. I guess 15" is the way to go for me...just cant believe I'm going to be buying a 15" frame lol.. Oh well, whatever works.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    According to the geometry chart the stand over for the 17.5 is 77.5 which is around 30.5 inches. Where VTfargo is getting 32 inches. Could BD's specs be 1.5 inches off which I think is a considerable amount or is VTfargo measuring at the wrong spot? I just ordered a 15.5 Gravity 29.4 and if the geometry specs on the site are correct I should be good to go but this has me a little concerned. I am a little less than 57 with a 29-30 inch inseam. I am not overly concerned with stand over but it would be nice if the top tube was not jammed up on the boys . I guess I will find out tomorrow when UPS makes there delivery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Fantastic pics VTFargo. I appreciate it. 17.5 looks ok on you when you're on the saddle but the TT is deceptively high, mid point is 32"...my stand over would be strattling the bar, litterally.. and thats a concern...especially if I have to jump off / fall. I guess 15" is the way to go for me...just cant believe I'm going to be buying a 15" frame lol.. Oh well, whatever works.

Thanks again.
    I think camera angles are playing into this, rechecked and its about 31 inches at that point. Kind of hard to measure and take a pix. Of course, don't really know where BD measured their standover. Given the slope of the TT, moving a little forward or rearward changes the SO a good bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Got my 29.4 together last night it took less the 45min. Pretty much mount the bars, adjust the headset, mount the rear derailleur and adjust the brakes. The 15.5 is a little taller than I expected if you are going by the stated geometry chart add 3/4 inch if you are concerned with standover. I am 56.5 with a 29.5 inseam and my nuts are just about touching the top tube with my back against the saddle. If I move an inch or so forward I am getting Intimate with the top tube. My arms are a little longer in proportion compared to the rest of my body ( my Indy Fab Crown Jewel has a 54cm top tube but 30 inch stand over ). I put on a 100mm Stem I had in parts bin and my and the reach feels great now which is what really matters.

I will post up a bunch of picture after lunch today. I plan on riding a few miles around the industrial park here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesteel View Post
    Got my 29.4 together last night it took less the 45min. Pretty much mount the bars, adjust the headset, mount the rear derailleur and adjust the brakes. The 15.5 is a little taller than I expected if you are going by the stated geometry chart add 3/4 inch if you are concerned with standover. I am 56.5 with a 29.5 inseam and my nuts are just about touching the top tube with my back against the saddle. If I move an inch or so forward I am getting Intimate with the top tube. My arms are a little longer in proportion compared to the rest of my body ( my Indy Fab Crown Jewel has a 54cm top tube but 30 inch stand over ). I put on a 100mm Stem I had in parts bin and my and the reach feels great now which is what really matters.

I will post up a bunch of picture after lunch today. I plan on riding a few miles around the industrial park here.
    Let's see those pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ccv2011 View Post
    Let's see those pics.
    I was about to post a few but I need 10 posts to be able to post pics

After riding around for a while I am still not all that comfortable with the standover and a I am contemplating picking up a Niner EMD in small and swapping all the parts out.

mtbr member
    May 2011

After riding around for a while I am still not all that comfortable with the standover and a I am contemplating picking up a Niner EMD in small and swapping all the parts out.
    So/you have noticed the same thing I did about the geometry charts, the Niner frames have a longer top tube and lower standover than many other 29ers. I have an 18" Diamondback Overdrive and the reach is comfortable but the standover is VERY snug. I understand standover is not the most important thing, but if I could find a similiar top tube with lower standover it would be great. So the first thing I looked at was the geo charts for some readily available affordable frames, notably the Motobecane and Gravity frames. Unfortunately, they actually have same or taller standover at similiar ETT dimensions. Then I looked at the Niner frames and they look like a very nice combo of ETT and standover numbers to me. Unfortunately I think from what I have read and a brief demo on a SIR9 I think I actually want steel, and steel Niner frames start at $850.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

If you have a photobucket account or some type of online photosharing account, you can put the image in the post by using

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ccv2011 View Post
    If you have a photobucket account or some type of online photosharing account, you can put the image in the post by using
    That is what I tried. A few more posts and I will be able to post some pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That is what I tried. A few more posts and I will be able to post some pics
    Yea, I don't understand why they make us have 5 posts before posting pictures. It just encourages empty and not-very helpful posts.

Anyhow, if you dont mind posting your online photo album we'd be glad to take a look at it.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Business must be booming! To easily have the ability to produce a CF 29er and opt not to means that you are missing a HUGE % of potential consumers.

The % of damaged CF frames that are based on rock impact is tiny. Seems like you might be overlooking something IMO...
    I really don't think people want carbon fiber off road. A little gouge on a rock will make the integrity of the frame questionable. Leave carbon for the roadies.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    I like the silver/grey frame, it looks nice. I'd pick one up if I didn't have the fly ti 29er already. Awesome bike the ti 29er. Still using the fsa crankset that came with it, and you know what, it's been smooth and quiet after a 1000 miles or so of riding.

Any ways I wouldn't hesitate to buy the gravity bike. Would be a great first bike to learn and train on, plus it has disc brakes. Seems like a good deal to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought the 15.5" 29.1 as a cheap (but hopefully functional) bike for kids.

It's heavy at 32 lbs, but the parts are functional. The fork is way better than my 1997 Fisher hookooekoo

The LBS didn't have any 29ers at this price point. Their entry level was $700 and was equipped about the same. On the plus side, the paint and stripes were flashier and the whole package was 29-30 lbs.

Saving $250 puts me 1/2 way to buying the next bike. Resale value on used mtn bikes is really crappy around here, so the better resale value of a name brand bike is lost on me...

Final thought-- My GOD this thing has a long seat post. I am 6'3" and the seat post at maximum extension is almost enough for my stride. Who rides the 21" frame, big foot?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by otmr View Post
    could have a been better thought out, but if I was on a really tight budget, which a lot of people are, I wouldn't snub it at all. Nothing a pinstripe removal tool can't take care of and some imagination.
    Are you referring to the use of the pinstripe removal tool for the removal of the logo on the frame? From the looks of my bike, the decal/logo is painted on there. Won't the pinstripe removal tool remove the paint on the bike because the matte paint doesn't really have a thick protective clear coat (like auto paint)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Does anyone know if you can easily take the stickers off the gravity 29ers? I'm looking at the 29.4 specifically.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    On Zilla 27-speed Shimano monstercross I am shotting for $599 - but if I can I will do a lower intro price for our newsletter readers

I really like the idea of a 'swiss army' bike; that can do about everything
    And I hope the monstercross can fill that bill for some riders

Working hard to get the Zilla XX [20-speed sram] dailed in as component makers are not really thinking 'monstercross' right now; so as some have said they are in a way 'mutant'
    I know example below will take a bit of 're-do' once I get my hands on it; but it is what I am thinking as second step up in MC
    I really like the idea of a 'swiss army' bike that I can put a 29x2.3 tire.

I like that Gravity Zilla XX [20-speed sram]. But it would be better if you put the disc brake mount in the rear triangle like Salsa Fargo, or Mongoose Sabrosa. Using this design, you'll be able to put a very strong touring rear rack (instead of using spacer or disc-specific rear rack for disc-brake clearance).
    Or perhaps take a look at ***.boardmanbikes.com, most of their mountain bike and cyclocross bike has disc brake mount in the rear triangle and they have eyelets for rack mounts.

Also, swiss army' bike like Salsa Fargo has a rigid fork with eyelets and holes for front rack or water bottle cages. If you do this 'swiss-army' bike with that crankset [20-speed sram], people will say that you copy the idea from Salsa Fargo (an overpriced made-in-Taiwan bike). Thus, you can put on your website, "compare with Salsa Fargo." LOL

And I don't know why you use brand Motobecane. Everybody knows it's not that old Motobecane. It would be better to create your own brand. "Gravity" sounds cool or perhaps "DirectBike-->".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi, Im about to order the gravity 29.1 or 29.2 , I ride on asphalt mainly but I want a MTB because I ride over stairs, my Trek 7200 comfort bike with its 700 x 35c didnt like that and it got stolen any way so Im looking for a new bike.

Question: if the bike will not see dirt trails but will see stairs up and down, sidewalks, pot holes does it make sense to get the Gravity 29.2 version over 29.1?

Thanks
    Last edited by rcAlex; 09-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.

mtbr member
    It looks like that SR Suntour fork is the same one as my boss's Trek bike. No matter how I adjust the lock-out It's still too soft to me.

Gravity 29.2 is much better I think (With Rock Shox Dart 3 fork, Avid BB5 brake).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the Gravity looks nice, gonna look up the specs on it...

mtbr member
    I ordered two of these, one for my son (arrives today), the other for me, arrives next week. Pretty excited to get back into mountain biking, and this was a great price point to jump back in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Zimmermann View Post
    Only a fool shops at a bike shop. Unless of course you need something right now, or you need some advice, or you have jacked up your drivetrain to the point the chain won't stay on. Then it's nice that the "fools" in your community have been good enough to help keep the bike shop there for your convenience.

Only a fool pays for advertising when email accounts and MTBR accounts are free. Duh!
    That's is a very offensive comment.

Buying from Local Bike Shop (LBS), you help supporting your local economy. I'd bought my first 29er for $800 (not include tax) at LBS even though I can get a comparable deal online at around $600(include tax).

3 years later, I wanted to change that 29er to rigid fork. They can remember me so I've got a friendly deal. My LBS figured out which rigid fork to fit my bike, I paid $130(fork)+$40(labor)+tax. This steel fork is $120 MSRP (I can get it online for $90) and 445mm-axle-to-crown (so it's not suspension corrected)

It's really worth to pay $40 extra fork itself, and $40 for labor at LBS. I had a very unique 29er with non-suspension corrected fork, so my pedals always hit the ground while I'm riding on gravel road. I wasn't a fool. I am proud to support my L(BS) and local economy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Gravity 29.1

Just got my 29.1 last night. Only ridden it a couple of miles but I really like it. I got it in grey and it looks sharp. Cant wait for the east coast to dry out so I can hit my favorite trails. I got a 17" and I have a 32" inseam and my sac almost touches top tube. Don't think I'll be doing any trials or logs with this but I'm sure it'll do great for trails.

I have a Performance Bike Shop M201 hardtail that I paid like 500 for 8 years ago. It was my first suspension fork and was great but I wanted to upgrade brakes to disks. The Gravity 29.1 costs as much as new wheels (disk hubs), fork and brakes would have cost. Plus its a 29 which rides like my cross bike did but with more forgiving tires. I've been Mt biking since I got one of the first Specialized Rockhoppers in 1985. I worked in shops though college and got pretty good on mtb in the Cascades. I road ride too but can control my 11 month dog on leash easier when I mt bike. Now that I'm older and less of a risk taker, a 29r makes trail riding smoother and stable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was able to build my 29.1 in about a half hour using my shop skills. I'll fine tune brakes and gears as I break it in. When I worked in shops in college I would have poo pooed the Gravity as a non brand name POS. However today after owning 5 mt bikes and buying a few for my boys, I can appreciate quality and value of the Gravity. I learned of 29rs at the LBS and noted that entry point for 24spd disk was $650 on sale. If I didn't know how to build and adjust a bike I would have reservations about ordering a box bike off the Internet. The fact that LBS build and do followup adjustment is worth at least $50. So I saved about $150. But considering this bike is so much better for less than I spent on my last hard tail, the fact its not a name brand frame doesn't matter to me. The hydroformed tubes, tig welds and paint finish are as good as I've seen on bikes for $300 more.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the little updates 99thObsidian, I can't put my son's bike together until I get home from my business trip on Saturday, and mine on Monday after work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I recently purchased a Gravity 29.2 as my first bike purchase. I researched this to death, and for the money, there is no better value than the 29.2 IMHO. You get disc brakes which rock by they way, and I was a bit leery of the fork when I purchased it. As it turns out the fork is hydraulic, has a spring preload and external damping adjustments. Well I am 6'3 and 238 lbs and this for works great right out of the box. I have not even touched the damping or preload adjustments ever. I DO use the lockout for an occasional stand up hill climb and this feature is much more handy than I would have imagined. I never thought i would use it, but it is great when you stand up.

I added dual bottle cages with 24oz polars, a planet bike 9.0 computer, and a Jannd saddle bag.

I built the bike in about 30-40 minutes, and set everything up pretty meticulously. build up was no problem but i did scratch the inside of the fork with my disc.

The brakes take a minute to get set up properly, and you should not assume the calipers are lined up to accept the rotors as they slide around during shipping.

I have 290 miles on the bike in the last 2 months. I try to ride 8-10 miles on all weeknights and 18-20 on Saturday and Sundays. Weather permitting.

I never thought to tighten the headset on my initial build, but after i felt some clicking during braking I snugged the bolt down a little bit until it was rock solid again. Other than that I have not had a single issue.

As far as frame quality I put that to the test the other day inadvertently. IT was dark out and i was cruising downhill and I hit a downed tree in the road at about 10-15 mph. The tree was about 8" in diameter and I never saw it coming. Next thing you know I am in the air but I stayed on the bike! Thank god I was on a 29er because I would have been over the handlebars like superman on a 26". I swore a blue streak thinking I had wrecked the bike for sure, but when I got it back home there was NOTHING wrong with it. Not even a dent in the wheel!

Also there are a few bonus items on my bike. My shifters are Deore, and they are listed as Alivio. This is a BIG upgrade in my opinion! Everything else is as it is listed.

I find the grips to be a bit too small in diameter for my liking. I don't know what it is by my palms hurt a bit on long weekend rides and I find myself adjusting my grip or just giving my hands a rest for a moment. I read up, and ordered my self some OURY grips which are currently on the way to me. I think they are bigger in diameter and a bit softer, and this should make the bike perfect.

Sorry about the long write up. And yes this is my first post!

I am also Clyde on 29 on map my ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-2011-08-05_19-51-10_160.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice post Clyde. Glad to hear from somebody that has really put their Gravity 29 to the test. Super sweet pic. I cant wait to hit the canal trail near my house. I love disc brakes, soooo much better than rim grabbers.

mtbr member
    Clyde is your front brake line not tied to the crown on the fork? It's hard to see but it looks like it drops straight down off the bars. As a safety point you should have it zipped tied to the inside of the fork. Sweet pic by the way!

mtbr member
    Got home yesterday from a business trip and immediately got my son's .1 put together. It was the first time I have ever put together a bike, it was really easy, took about 30-40 minutes. Took it for a couple test rides, made a few adjustments, then handed it over. I got us both the 21 sized bike (mine arrives tomorrow), probably could have gone with the 19, but based on my older two boys height, my 16 year old, who is 6'3", will likely even taller than my 19 year old, who is 6'5. The entry level shock seems to work fine for both of us going off a few curbs, but neither of us are what I would call heavy for being 6'3" (145 for him, 185 for me), the true test will come on Tuesday when we get out for our first ride on some trails.

We are looking forward to some fun fall riding, pics of both bikes in the wild to come after 5 more posts I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Clyde is your front brake line not tied to the crown on the fork? It's hard to see but it looks like it drops straight down off the bars. As a safety point you should have it zipped tied to the inside of the fork. Sweet pic by the way!
    Thank you for your observation. It actually does drop straight down! It hasn't been a problem yet, but I have extra zip ties around and I will restrain it. Thank you.

mtbr member
    I would tie it up just to make sure it doesn't get snagged on something and damaged. Otherwise it looks perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rode my new 29.1 on a nearby singletrack last weekend. It did really well down and up some narrow root and rock strewn trails. I feel it actually carries momentum better than my 26 did. Really lovin the disks brakes. Having a 9 speed cog really helps picking the right gear. No slips, good traction up and down. Slow speed line picking was nimble. Sped down some gravel horse trails on way back. Big wheels really smooth out ride, builds confidence. I know this is a entry level 9er but it really performs better than costlier bikes I've tried years ago. Swapped my dual sided spd pedals onto my 29.1.

Saw a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disk 29r for $550 @ LBS but it only had a 8spd cog. Lower quality brakes and derailleurs too. Fork didn't have a lockout feature. Still confident I made the right choice.

mtbr member
    Second 29.1 got in today! Got it together in less time then the 1st one. Interestingly, this one was actually packaged slightly better but, it had some damage to the paint on the down tube, one small spot where it is completely missing even though the protective wrapping had none! Oh well, it doesn't change the performance of the bike, and I have seen bikes with worse in various LBS. The only other odd thing, the chain was on incorrectly, easy fix with the SRAM quick link deal. Tomorrow after work my son and I will give them a real ride followed by a ride report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Took it for a couple test rides, made a few adjustments, then handed it over. I got us both the 21 sized bike (mine arrives tomorrow), probably could have gone with the 19, but based on my older two boys height, my 16 year old, who is 6'3", will likely even taller than my 19 year old, who is 6'5.
    Interesting. I'm 6'1" and change, and fit nicely on a 21" Rockhopper and a 20.5" Marin, so I thought me and my 34.5" inseam (barefoot+book wedgie) would be good to go for a 21" Gravity. I always thought my 19" FS 26er had a ridiculous amount of seatpost. You would go 19" at 6'3"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Pay very close attention to the length of the top tube on the Gravity bikes. IMHO, this frame has a long top tube for a given frame size. I am 6'3" on a 19" frame and it is a reach for me. Before I bough my bike I went to a LBS and sat on some comparable frames of different sizes to get a feel for what a comfortable frame geometry would be. It would be great if you could find a Gary Fisher dealer as this frame is a direct clone of the Fisher. IF not pay attention to the top tube length as the seat post is highly adjustable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
    Interesting. I'm 6'1" and change, and fit nicely on a 21" Rockhopper and a 20.5" Marin, so I thought me and my 34.5" inseam (barefoot+book wedgie) would be good to go for a 21" Gravity. I always thought my 19" FS 26er had a ridiculous amount of seatpost. You would go 19" at 6'3"?
    I think for a little more room for the boys in the event of an unintended dismount on an uphill, the 19" would be a safer bet. I can tell you in a pair of gym shorts, and some boxer briefs, the boys were touching, my inseam is comparable to yours. That was with a pair of running shoes on. I threw on a pair of my tri shorts and that gave me some room to where I could lift the front wheel a couple inches, at most, while straddling it with the front of the seat just touching my back. My wife stood over my bike and could only just flatfoot, her inseam is 33.5" (measured during a bike fitting), granted that was barefoot but it pretty much backs up the couple measurements I took. Just in front of the crank the top tube is at 33", and measuring right at the back of the tire, it's 35". I picked those spots because the odds of landing any further back is pretty much impossible with the seat in the way, and any further up dang near puts you into the handlebars.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    this one was actually packaged slightly better but, it had some damage to the paint on the down tube, one small spot where it is completely missing even though the protective wrapping had none!.

Smithe68 let bikesdirect know about the damage. My 29.4 had some paint damage on the down tube also. I emailed them a few pictures and they ended up crediting me around $35 dollars back.
    Last edited by cyclesteel; 09-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip, pics and info on the way to them.

mtbr member
    Got out for a ride today in a mix of single track, open trails, loose sand, rocks, etc. The bikes worked perfectly, and maybe the shock isn't the best but, compared to what I last road (GF Hoo koo e koo of the elevated chainstay, no suspension vintage), it soaked up everything we threw at it. The bike tracked well, handled bumps, downhills, uphills etc. I am extremely pleased with my purchases. My son had a great time as well, this is his first mountain bike and he is jonesing to head back out this weekend and had us riding another few miles more than our original plan.

A few pics from the ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ok, so i narrowed down my choices for a new mountainbike, the only problem is, can anyone explain me the difference between the:

Motobecane Fantom 29
    Gravity 29

both really dont give each other anything in terms of pricing or parts. the gravity seems to be a bit cheaper than the fantom, on the other hand, on the other hand the gravity is still the 2011 model, while the fantom is already listed as 2012 model.

the fantom seems to have a bit steeper head angle, so maybe this model is more for trails more agile compared to the gravity, which might be more of a straight-line model?

no idea in terms of weight, the gravity frame just look heavier

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Smithe68,
    By the looks of your pictures you live in great mtbiking country. I too am looking forward to enjoying XC riding with my sons on my 29.1. I think the real good story here is that for the price of base line Gary Fisher Mamba $900 29r hardtail, you got 2 similarly equipped bikes (one for you and one for your home grown riding buddy). While I don't mind road riding solo, when riding in the sticks I'd rather have a buddy than a $1k bike and 1-2 less lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99thObsidian View Post
    Smithe68,
    By the looks of your pictures you live in great mtbiking country. I too am looking forward to enjoying XC riding with my sons on my 29.1. I think the real good story here is that for the price of base line Gary Fisher Mamba $900 29r hardtail, you got 2 similarly equipped bikes (one for you and one for your home grown riding buddy). While I don't mind road riding solo, when riding in the sticks I'd rather have a buddy than a $1k bike and 1-2 less lbs.

Riding here is fantastic, we live in eastern Washington state. That area is a couple miles from our house, Riverside State Park. You will have great fun with your sons, I know I am having a blast with mine. Was just talking about how I basically got 2 bikes for the price of one here at work to a couple of friend. At my level of riding trails, I won't notice the extra weight, if its even there. On the road I ride solo plenty and actually prefer it plus no one like drafting off a tri bike anyways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fifilein View Post
    ok, so i narrowed down my choices for a new mountainbike, the only problem is, can anyone explain me the difference between the:

Motobecane Fantom 29
    Gravity 29
    answering my own question with the help of the support

The Gravity's use a slacker trail style geometry and the Fantom's use a more aggressive race style geometry. We expect 2012 Gravity models over the winter, there are no planed changes we are told.
    and it looks the X7 model is the way to go, better fork, better brakes - compared to the x5 model.

Rocks belong
    Pulled the trigger on a 29.5 today. Seeing the frame manufacturer and geo is exact (literally, compared all specs and dimensions) to a Trek X-Cal or GF Paragon put me over the hump. They followed up with shipping confirmation in <2 hours! They bike should be here monday!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hello,
    I am currently in the market for a bike and I have been trying to decide what to get. I sent an email with some questions to your sales dept but all I got in return was an ad listing for one of your bikes and no real help.
    I saw your posting and decided to try to ask you some of the same questions.
    I live very near the Blueridge Parkway and have started to ride it for exercise on my Univega hybrid. I am looking for a bike that I can ride some of the local single tracks and a pump track with my son.
    I have spoken with a couple of local bikers and they recommended that I get a 29er because it would be the best for both applications.
    I have one Daughter in college and a Son whom we are still homeschooling and I have very little money to spare. I am very interested in the Motobecane Fantom 29 you have listed on your site but it states that it is sold out.
    I am 6'1" with a 30" inseam and I have a very long torso and the arms of an ape.Will you be getting any more of these in in a size for me? And if not what would be a comparable bike in the same price range with a good front suspension?
    I'm sorry I had to contact you like this but I've tried to contact
    your sales staff and haven't gotten very good results.
    Thank you for any help you can give me with this.

Thanks again,
    shszds

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    Gravity 29ers have been a bigger hit than I even thought they could be; so there is plenty of volume to add 23" frame

I will start on that now; but it may take a while

Plus boxes are an issue; packing and shipping 29ers is tricky in itself
    but adding 23" size will be a challedge as we have to be able to ship UPS
    [as do not ship anything by LTL]

Sorry for the double post but it's 3am and I'm exhausted and at work.

This post is for the BD guy Mike. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules but here it goes.

Hello,
    I am currently in the market for a bike and I have been trying to decide what to get. I sent an email with some questions to your sales dept but all I got in return was an ad listing for one of your bikes and no real help.
    I saw your posting and decided to try to ask you some of the same questions.
    I live very near the Blueridge Parkway and have started to ride it for exercise on my Univega hybrid. I am looking for a bike that I can ride some of the local single tracks and a pump track with my son.
    I have spoken with a couple of local bikers and they recommended that I get a 29er because it would be the best for both applications.
    I have one Daughter in college and a Son whom we are still homeschooling and I have very little money to spare. I am very interested in the Motobecane Fantom 29 you have listed on your site but it states that it is sold out.
    I am 6'1" with a 30" inseam and I have a very long torso and the arms of an ape.Will you be getting any more of these in in a size for me? And if not what would be a comparable bike in the same price range with a good front suspension?
    I'm sorry I had to contact you like this but I've tried to contact
    your sales staff and haven't gotten very good results.
    Thank you for any help you can give me with this.
    Please private message for my email or phone# to discuss this.
    Thanks again,
    Tracy J Saul

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    Whats the name of that Wally bike, I wanna do some research to see.

Edit: Not a clone, look at the headtube, the Wally doesn't have an intergrated headset, and it looks like the dropouts are different too, hard to tell in the pictures though.
    I th9nk it's a mongoose deception.

mtbr member
    I realize this thread is quite old, though there are some more recent posts. I've read through a lot of the vitriolic comments concerning Bikes Direct, and felt the need to comment, as I bought my titanium Motobecane Fly Team 29er from them a couple months ago. It was my first BD purchase, but I'll tell you this much: it won't be my last.
    I don't get all the negative comments about BD. Support your local LBS by taking your bike in to get tuned or have work done on it, which I do. I've also bought many a bike from my LBS, and so I feel justified in saving the money I did by using BD.
    One of the major comments I don't understand people making is that they hate BD's marketing structure. Well, first of all, it's MARKETING. What company doesn't beef up their claims about things to make their product sound good? Seriously. What economic system do you think we're using?

Second, I don't think there's any way anyone could argue that the bike I bought isn't a ridiculous deal, worth literally thousands more than I paid (if compared to similar offerings from the 'big guys'). The frame is titanium, and aerospace grade titanium, I might add. X0 Front Derailleur. X0 Rear Derailleur. X0 Shifters. Reba RL front fork (that goes for between $450-600 by itself), which by the way has the same adjustments on it and feels/performs just as good as the Fox fork on my last 'big name brand' bike (which cost me $4k and was only aluminum, and didn't come nearly as well-equipped as my Motobecane). Elixir 9 brakes. FSA Afterburner crank (sure, not the best, but it's solid, and it's pretty friggin far from terrible). Vuelta XRP Team 29er SL wheels (didn't know anything about Vuelta before this bike, but in two months of riding rough, rocky terrain, they've stayed true, are very light, and very fast... what else could you ask for exactly?). I did swap the seatpost for a carbon one (personal preference, the Ritchey one was pretty light and worked just fine), and the handlebars for wider, riser carbon bars (again, personal pref.)... but this is something I would have done on ANY bike I would have purchased (since NOTHING in this price range comes with carbon bars or seatpost... and guess what? Neither did my last bike at $4k).

$2099.

Now, anyone feel free to tell me where you can get a better deal?! The frame has zero cracks, perfect welds, similar geo to a lot of the top 29er hard tails out there, so how exactly is the BD marketing SO terrible? GF (Trek) Superfly Elite is a carbon frame (imo not as good), and the components really are pretty similar, and it's just shy of $5k.
    So how exactly is Bikes Direct putting crappy components on crappy frames and then lying about the 'deal' they're giving us? I really don't get the disconnect. Components are components. BD isn't making their own 'crappy' versions of the components that come on EVERY OTHER BIKE.

I've been riding mountain bikes for years, and have NEVER in ALL my days come across as amazing a deal as my Motobecane. It's simply the fastest, most agile, fun, cheapest priced 29er I've ridden, period.

In closing, I say if you can get a great deal on a bike, why wouldn't you? Don't listen to all the fanboy idiots talking about Trek and Specialized, etc. Guess what? They're all bikes. Many of them are made in the SAME factory. Give me a break.
    And as far as sizing goes, sure I've taken bikes out for test drives plenty of times, but I'm not sure how much it really matters. You don't really get a good feel for the bike until you take it on a trail and go for it. You can ALWAYS shorten/lengthen a stem or move your seat forward/back or get a setback seatpost. it's really not that hard to make the bike fit correctly as long as you get reasonably close on size. I'm 6'1", 34" inseam, the website recommended a 19" (which I was already probably going for anyway because my last bike was a 19"), and guess what? It fits PERFECT.
    So say what you will, fanboys and girls, I'll be the one passing your ass on my Motobecane. But hey, you look GREAT, so who cares, right?

mtbr member
    Just as a last note and addition to my previous comment, just doing a google search for all the parts I listed on the bike (JUST the ones listed, which doesn't include the bars, seatpost, headseat, tires etc.), I came up with a number relatively close in cost to the TOTAL cost of the bike, so toss in the other parts and the PARTS ALONE are worth MORE than the bike actually cost. What does that sound like to you? To me it sounds like I got a *****in' titanium frame FOR FREE.
    If that's not a good deal, then I guess I just don't know what is.

Rocks belong
    Finally got the 29point5 completed this weekend. Put a few miles of street riding on it via head lamp in DT Denver, CO last night. Bike rides great. Haven't hit dirt yet, hope to this weekend. Smooth, quick, responsive. Seems like the frame is laterally stiff/rigid. You can feel the inertia of the big, 29er wheels on slow speed manuverability, but only if you're closely looking for it. Looking forward to some trails this weekend.

Me: 5'10", 30" inseam, relatively longer reach (arms/torso) for my height. Shops usually size me off of reach and not stand over, as that is the more critical dimension. I usually end up with a frame a little tall for me and have to cut about 3" off the seat post to get the right height/bend in my knee. A LBS sized me as a Large frame when I bought my 2011 Specialized Enduro. I will probably cut the seat post on the 29point5 as well.

Bike: Gravity 29point5, 17.5" frame

First impressions:

1) Standover is pretty high. The side of the box that the bike came in said that I needed a 33" inseam to clear this frame by 1". Not sure if I believe that or not, as it didn't say you need a 33" to clear a 19.5 or 17.5 or 15.5 frame... I doubt Gravity has different boxes printed for every bike they ship out.

But: When I'm on the bike, the fit is great. Standing on flat feet, straddling the frame, I'm pretty close to the TT. But standing over a bike on flat feet happens so rarely while riding that I'm not worried about it. When I have my RF on the pedal and my LF on the ground (with the bike tilted to my left side, this happens much more while riding), the frame feels fine. Again, even at 5'10" with a 30" inseam on a 17.5" frame, I'm not worried about stand over. (Which is comforting as I was initially very worried)

2) Frame quality seems good. Paint is nothing to write home about. In fact, I pretty much hate the matte black paint on the 29point5. But this was the level of components that I wanted, so I'll deal with the ugly/boring paint job. I can tell the paint will scratch easily, but oh well, its a mtn bike. Maybe I'll get lime green touch up paint for a little mix in colors :-)

3) Bikesdirect has good communication and support. UPS damaged my bike/box in shipping (derailluer hanger was crazy busted and a few scratches on the frame). In addition, the front Elixir 5 caliper was defective (pinched o-ring on the body, it was leaking fluid). BD was prompt in response and quickly shipped me a new derailluer hanger and Elixir 5 front brake. Neither of these issues were their fault and they still promptly took care of me. I told them I didn't care about the scratches on the frame... again, its a mtn bike, I'll have added my own scratches/dings/nicks within 5 rides.

4) The FSA V-drive cranks feel good/solid. No noticeable flex when you stand and crank hard on the pedals. The X.9 shifters are amazingly sharp/crisp in their action. My Specialized Enduro has an X.9 RD, but X.7 shifters... the X.9 shifters are much better in feel. The Reba SL fork seems nice, but I've jumped a few curbs/pot holes in DT Denver.

5) The seat post, clamp, handlebar and stem are no-name brand and seem heavy. They don't affect the ride of the bike. In fact, these are easily replaced through some online or parts bin shopping - so I'll take my time and wait for a good deal. First thing I'll do is go with a wider handlebar, I prefer a more AM style bar, like the 720mm bar my Specialized Enduro has. The hubs are also no name and look heavy. They'd probably be better suited on a 29er commuter bike. Maybe I'll wait to find a deal on a complete 29'er wheelset.

Only compaints so far:
    1) The bike is really boring in all black. Every component I buy for this bike will be some color other than black.

2) There isn't a chainstay guard, so the chain slap against the frame is loud and chips the paint. Might just go ghetto and wrap an old inner-tube around the chain stay. Otherwise I'll get one of the LizardSkins neoprene chainstay guards. Maybe bright yellow or lime green to help address complaint #1.

Here's a pic from the garage last night (the rear reflector will come off today).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-gravity-29point5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the info, hokiebrett. UPS was really malicious with my box/bike too. I've never seen such a deformed hanger.

I agree with the handlebars, stem and other auxiliary parts. They seem to be built to last with no consideration of weight.

I have the Point4 and I'm really impressed with the X9 RD. If the X9 shifters are a serious upgrade from X7, it'll be my next upgrade down the road.

The matte black looks really clean, imo. The only thing that bugs me is the GRAVITY and TWENTY NINE logos everywhere.

Once you hit the trails, you'll be really happy. I'm really satisfied with my bike. Descents and overall feel is really smooth.

mtbr member
    Honestly man, I like the way the bike looks. It's not that blingy, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's boring. Certainly not as drool-worthy as others I've seen, but those others will cost you 3x as much, so who cares? Pass them on the trail on the Gravity and see what that does to their faces. ;D

Sorry you had to deal with UPS messing up the bike. They bust up my packages all the time. I hate it. Glad BD took care of you. I haven't had to utilize their customer service, but from everything I've read about it on these forums, I wouldn't be worried at all if I had to.

I'm curious on the weight of that build of yours. I know it won't be the lightest at all, but do you know what it weighs? Just wondering.

Good riding, be safe, and have a blast on that bike!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9