Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay5280
    GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Bike - 2011 $579.00 ( Note: dose not have disc brakes )

2011 Gravity 29 Point 2 $599.95

2011 Motobecane Fantom 29 Trail $599.95

Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er Bike - 2011 $659.00

2011 Outcast 29 $499.95

2011 Windsor Cliff 29R Comp $549.99

Raleigh Talus Sport 29er Bike - 2011 $699.00

So which one you guys????
    hey Jay5280, i got a great idea for you...

why don't you test ride all those bikes to find out which actually fits you best & feels the best to ride?

have fun & good luck...

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    hey Jay5280, i got a great idea for you...

why don't you test ride all those bikes to find out which actually fits you best & feels the best to ride?

have fun & good luck...

/\ This .... I cannot understand how someone (especially noobs) can make an expensive (relative, I know) purchase without throwing a leg over it first, test ride, then test ride some more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    /\ This .... I cannot understand how someone (especially noobs) can make an expensive (relative, I know) purchase without throwing a leg over it first, test ride, then test ride some more.
    I wouldn't say that a $5-600 ride is an expensive investment in a bike honestly. Most of the bikes he is considering here are mail order only and so he can't actually test ride them anywhere and can only make his determination by what others experience is with having bought them. That is precisely why he is asking in this forum as many have bought at least a few of the models in which he listed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katalinagirl
    I wouldn't say that a $5-600 ride is an expensive investment in a bike honestly. Most of the bikes he is considering here are mail order only and so he can't actually test ride them anywhere and can only make his determination by what others experience is with having bought them. That is precisely why he is asking in this forum as many have bought at least a few of the models in which he listed.

It all depends on what they consider "expensive" and how much they can afford. I did not know about BD until I joined this forum. There bikes dont' seem that bad. I need to get a second bike for a loaner/errand runner and I am strongly considering them. The only thing holding me back is that I can't test ride it. However, considering it will not be my main ride I dont' mind guessimating what size I need.

Seeing pics and reading some the reviews on this site has been very helpful.

banned

You wouldn't say it expensive but many would. I agree, test rides are appropriate. Do you work for Mike?

mtbr member
    I always find the lack of test ride issue funny. What does riding around the parking do for you? I think a bike fit calculator from one of the numerous free online sources gives much better info on what size bike to ride, than does dodging cars, jumping off of curbs and riding over speed bumps. Now if your LBS has a dirt loop close that they allow you to ride on that is a different story. How many people buy a bike from the LBS and still get sized wrong? Those people seem to post on MTBR quite a bit as well.
    The Good Times are Killing me

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeNutsRobot
    I always find the lack of test ride issue funny. What does riding around the parking do for you? I think a bike fit calculator from one of the numerous free online sources gives much better info on what size bike to ride, than does dodging cars, jumping off of curbs and riding over speed bumps. Now if your LBS has a dirt loop close that they allow you to ride on that is a different story. How many people buy a bike from the LBS and still get sized wrong? Those people seem to post on MTBR quite a bit as well.

You would think that with all the online calculator's they could get it right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    katalinagirl & GrapeNutsRobot...
    it's fanbois...or...fangurlz like you, who along with that king of self-promoters - bd guy himself, that encourage complete noobs looking to get into mtbing, who don't have the vaguest idea of the size they need & who can't safely put a bike together, to buy from bikedirect by using a spreadsheet to compare the value of components, to ignore quality of the frame, & to figure their size from an online calculator rather than encouraging them to test-ride bikes they can afford that are properly built for them & that they can have serviced, lubed, adjusted & warrantied by a shop in their vicinity.
    shame on you...

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i've always found the bike "test ride" useless, except if i just want to see if the damn thing shifts right and there's nothing seriously wrong with the crank.

a demo is the only way to go, and i think paying 50-100 bucks to trash a bike over a two day weekend and make all sorts of adjustments to it--then have the money apply to a purchase--would be the way to go.

part of the reason i ride cheap bikes is that i really am afraid to spend over 2k and realize a bike sucks, having already endured one such mistake.
    how durable a bike or component is usually has a lot to do with how heavy and ugly it is.

mtbr member
    it's fanbois...or...fangurlz like you, who along with that king of self-promoters - bd guy himself, that encourage complete noobs looking to get into mtbing, who don't have the vaguest idea of the size they need & who can't safely put a bike together, to buy from bikedirect by using a spreadsheet to compare the value of components, to ignore quality of the frame, & to figure their size from an online calculator rather than encouraging them to test-ride bikes they can afford that are properly built for them & that they can have serviced, lubed, adjusted & warrantied by a shop in their vicinity.
    shame on you...

Let me ask you something? Is that okay or will I be a fan boy too... So what your saying is that all LBS are honest and will not sell you a bike that does not fit you? This may be shocking to you but LBS are out to make a buck as well Anyways, I don't see anything wrong with buying a bike online. I don't see you in the other forums trashing them when they buy a Giant, SC, or a Yeti online. I have never purchased a bike online but I would consider it.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Giant's online?

mtbr member
    Giant's online?

I was just naming the big brand names that would be acceptable for you. I will say this that maybe me mentioning Giant shows that I don't shop online for bikes. I go to my LBS for bike purchases. I am lucky enough to have a LBS that is honest and will tell you the truth.

Anyways, that does take away from the fact you only pick on people that shop at BD. So I expect to see you in the other forums telling them about how they are fanboys, and/or that they need to test ride it. How dare they In fact, if I come across another thread regarding this topic (buying bikes online without test riding it) I will be sure to PM you the link. How does that sound?

mtbr member
    shame on you...
    Im not sure where i advocated buying a bike from BD?

I wrenched and sold bikes for 5 years, fitting off the shelf bikes isn't rocket surgery.

Mark, if you are not competent to work on your own bike without the help of a LBS I feel bad for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OnaMTBtrailisME
    ...I don't see you in the other forums trashing them when they buy a Giant, SC, or a Yeti online. I have never purchased a bike online but I would consider it.
    please provide any link to any post by any authorized rep from giant or santa cruz or yeti who has ever posted anywhere in mtbr suggesting that a completely new mountain biker should purchase any of their products sight-unseen online

then...how 'bout you run a search for & post the links to all the posts by the bd guy pushing his bikes in the beginner forum & to uneducated bicycle consumers elsewhere

GrapeNutsRobot, fyi...i do not have the slightest problem building or working on my own bikes
    but the fact is that there are lotsa guys here including some posters in this very thread that cannot - you do them a disservice by encouraging them to buy from bikesdirect which offers them no help at all, besides selling them an out-of-date & virtually useless cd
    Last edited by markaitch; 04-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    please provide any link to any post by any authorized rep from giant or santa cruz or yeti who has ever posted anywhere in mtbr suggesting that a prospective new mountain biker should purchase their products sight-unseen online

then...how 'bout you run a search for & post the links to all the posts by the bd guy pushing his stuff in the beginner forum & to uneducated consumers elsewhere
    bd isn't just all over THESE forums.

they like to exploit the internet sales angle to make it seem like you're overpaying for bikes at your LBS, when you can get them for "hundreds off" at BD.com.

i bought a surly online from jensonusa. i saved 200 bucks off of the LBS for a bike that cost 1200. that's a typical internet "deal."

what BD do is artificially inflate their prices and swindle people who have no idea what a certain component group should cost. 750 for a 29er with a low to midrange parts group is a good deal, just don't tell me it's "worth" 1500. that's what really gets under my skin. their bikes are in no way bad, even i have considered buying one albeit i'm not thrilled with their frames, but they should really stop with that "40-60% off list" thing and pimping MTB message boards.
    how durable a bike or component is usually has a lot to do with how heavy and ugly it is.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I was just naming the big brand names that would be acceptable for you. I will say this that maybe me mentioning Giant shows that I don't shop online for bikes. I go to my LBS for bike purchases. I am lucky enough to have a LBS that is honest and will tell you the truth.

Anyways, that does take away from the fact you only pick on people that shop at BD. So I expect to see you in the other forums telling them about how they are fanboys, and/or that they need to test ride it. How dare they In fact, if I come across another thread regarding this topic (buying bikes online without test riding it) I will be sure to PM you the link. How does that sound?

I am a advocate of test rides no matter the point of purchase, if you call someone out you better have right. As far as picking only on people that buy from BD, you could not be more mistaken, I pick on everyone with equality, there just happens to be a preponderance of uninformed contemplating purchases from your favorite etailer. Do you work for Mike? How many people in this thread work for BD?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt
    bd isn't just all over THESE forums.

they like to exploit the internet sales angle to make it seem like you're overpaying for bikes at your LBS, when you can get them for "hundreds off" at BD.com.

i bought a surly online from jensonusa. i saved 200 bucks off of the LBS for a bike that cost 1200. that's a typical internet "deal."

what BD do is artificially inflate their prices and swindle people who have no idea what a certain component group should cost. 750 for a 29er with a low to midrange parts group is a good deal, just don't tell me it's "worth" 1500. that's what really gets under my skin. their bikes are in no way bad, even i have considered buying one albeit i'm not thrilled with their frames, but they should really stop with that "40-60% off list" thing and pimping MTB message boards.

Their "groups" are not , throwing an XTR derailluer on a bike does not make it XTR level.

mtbr member
    I am a advocate of test rides no matter the point of purchase, if you call someone out you better have right. As far as picking only on people that buy from BD, you could not be more mistaken, I pick on everyone with equality, there just happens to be a preponderance of uninformed contemplating purchases from your favorite etailer. Do you work for Mike? How many people in this thread work for BD?

Unless Mike is the Coast Guard I do not work for him. Actually, I have bought ALL my bikes from LBS. In fact, I just purchased my first FS from them and considering what I paid for it you better believe I tested it out first.

I apologize if "I called you out" and I not trying to cause any hate or discontent. But the short time I have been on these forums if anybody mentions BD they jump all over them. Maybe I am just naive to this whole buying a bike online thing, but I just see BD as another source of procuring a bicycle.

I think forums like are great for "noobs" to come to and see what all the fuss is about.

Finally, in case you care, I prefer JensonUSA if I need to buy anything online in regards to bicycling stuff.

banned
    LOOK!!!! BD has their very own forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/

mtbr member
    if you live in the northern viginia area I want to buy you a beer. Glad to see someone lee seems what's going on.

Bikesdirect, the Joseph A. Banks of the the bike world
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133
    But it's so much easier and more effective to post everything i the 29er forum.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    if you live in the northern viginia area I want to buy you a beer. Glad to see someone lee seems what's going on.

Bikesdirect, the Joseph A. Banks of the the bike world
    All of my suits come from Brooks Brothers but I like the Joseph A Banks reference. Although if Bikes Direct truly took its marketing from JAB, you would buy one bike and receive another free as well as get free pair of shoes, shorts and a helmet.

I live in Nova and enjoy drinking, if you ever want to get together and discuss the existential nature of BD, their somewhat deceptive marketing and/or the buying of online bikes.

mtbr member
    I will have to look at the bikes side by side to see what components are best for the price or maybe wait for REI's anniversary sale
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

mtbr member
    If I could test ride them I would but I have no idea where to test ride the BD bikes thus I ask you guy

mtbr member
    Ok so is there on here who like my self is 6'1 and 280? and who rides a 29er since that's what I want to buy.

mtbr member
    shame on you...
    @markaitch

It's to bad that you seem to be the one that is somewhat bias towards those that are wanting to broaden their own options and possibly save a few $$ by asking for advice here and even if they are a newby to mtb riding. There is nothing at all wrong with someone buying their 1st 29er mtb online if they so choose to do so. I never told anyone to ignore the quality of the frame. Sounds like you are implying that the frames that BD offer are of poor quality and if so please supply us with some facts here? They do offer a few brands that are sold in retailers as well. They are manufactured in the same factory's that most all of the other top name brands are, this is fact.

I may have some bike knowledge myself but I don't ever make it a habit to tell anyone what they should or should not buy or where they should shop whether it be online or not. I personally do both and only because I can. Most people can get a general idea of what size bike they would ride just by doing research and some of that best research would be here in forums where multiple riders actually ride a specific model of bike and have input to provide for that person. Outside of this most bike makers will have readily available online a bike sizing chart that helps.

On another note I do support a few of my lbs in my town as well as some that are both online and lbs, not all of them offer a great experience and I'm only speaking from my own personal experience. Bike shops can be a lot like auto shops and dealers and as well have some pretty bad mechanics that are not properly trained. I learned years back how to maintain my own bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If I could test ride them I would but I have no idea where to test ride the BD bikes thus I ask you guy
    I rented a FS 26 inch and a 29er HT from LBS before making my purchase on BD. The GF 29er HT frames have the same geometry as the gravity bikes, that might make the decision a little easier, it did for me. I'm 6'4" 210 and the 21" frame works for me. You might need to change spring in front fork though.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    [QUOTE=floydlippencott]I am a advocate of test rides no matter the point of purchase, if you call someone out you better have right. As far as picking only on people that buy from BD, you could not be more mistaken, I pick on everyone with equality, there just happens to be a preponderance of uninformed contemplating purchases from your favorite etailer. Do you work for Mike? How many people in this thread work for BD?[/QUOTE]

I can answer this question

EXACTLY 1
    I work for BD; anyone else posting here does; period

my employees know better than to post on forums that are about bikes

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

This is NOT the BD Forum
    it is the Motobecane forum

BD also sells Kestrel, Gravity, Windsor, Mercier, Mango, Dawes, Schwinn, and GT
    plus you can expect to see other brands on BD in the future

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by schob
    I rented a FS 26 inch and a 29er HT from LBS before making my purchase on BD. The GF 29er HT frames have the same geometry as the gravity bikes, that might make the decision a little easier, it did for me. I'm 6'4" 210 and the 21" frame works for me. You might need to change spring in front fork though.

They do not have the same geo, the frame angles may be similar but the geo is not the same.

Green Wrencher
    They do not have the same geo, the frame angles may be similar but the geo is not the same.

Please explain... My Gravity feels exactly like the Fisher's i tested

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RDTigger
    Please explain... My Gravity feels exactly like the Fisher's i tested

Exactly why noobs should not buy bikes off of the intardweb. This is just freakin hilarious, "my BD bike is just like a Fisher, it has the same geo." BWAAAHAAAAHAAA.

Green Wrencher
    Exactly why noobs should not buy bikes off of the intardweb. This is just freakin hilarious, "my BD bike is just like a Fisher, it has the same geo." BWAAAHAAAAHAAA.

Please explain....? You didn't answer my question.

mtbr member
    Please explain....? You didn't answer my question.

Don't worry about his answer. He is just being a troll at this point until he comes up with a mature and educated reply. Enjoy your bike! If he wants to continue to trash people about buying from BD let him do that. Or if he wants to accuse people that they of work for Dave, let him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't understand why people must bash more options. Sure, BD has the disadvantage of not test riding their bikes (Test rides are something I have found to be worthless... especially because every bike I have ever test ridden at an lbs was poorly set up T_T, and of course it's not appropriate for me to wrench it myself before test riding) But the bottom line is, BD is getting people on bikes for a lower price, and the last time I checked, most people who buy from BD (myself included, and no, I don't work for Mike, I am a pizza chef) are generally satisfied. So what is wrong with it? so what if they have to learn a few wrenching tricks or have to take it to an LBS to set up for a few extra $. (which they rarely set it up as precise as you can if you take some time to learn how to do it yourself.) But what it comes down to is, BD is not for everyone. If you're lazy, then they are not for you, if you're a snob, then they are not for you, If you feel that less than honest business practices (yeah I do agree that the false MSRP's are underhanded) means that a product somehow doesn't function properly, then they are not for you. But if you have the competence to figure out what size bike you need and you don't want to drop an extra 400$ on a sticker for your downtube, then they will do the job just fine.

Why bash if customers are satisfied? If customer's are satisfied, then they are doing a fine job.

mtbr member
    BD is putting people on safe affordable decent bikes. Too much snobbery out there. Who the hell cares what MSRPs are posted. Downers will always find something to fuel their dislike towards the company.

mtbr member
    Almost bought my 29er from BD last year. If I was buying today BD would be my choice. Unbeatable value for the money. Mike has a winning business model. I just hope he can manage his growth effectively.

Agree about the snobbery. Its getting as bad as fly fishing snobs. Roadies are the worst though.

Shut up and ride.

AZ
    banned
    Don't worry about his answer. He is just being a troll at this point until he comes up with a mature and educated reply. Enjoy your bike! If he wants to continue to trash people about buying from BD let him do that. Or if he wants to accuse people that they of work for Dave, let him.

Really? He is absolutely correct, it is not the same geo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well guys -

Instead of reviewing the bike on thursday Like i said i was going to... I will instead review their return policy.

I have a Gravity1 being delivered to my door on thursday --- but I need to either sell it locally or return it by the weekend.

I ended up winning a poker tournament on saturday for a couple grand, and figured i would upgrade my bike purchase - I bought a santa cruz superlight from a LBS today. lol.

hopefully the return goes smoothly!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace244
    Well guys -

Instead of reviewing the bike on thursday Like i said i was going to... I will instead review their return policy.

I have a Gravity1 being delivered to my door on thursday --- but I need to either sell it locally or return it by the weekend.

I ended up winning a poker tournament on saturday for a couple grand, and figured i would upgrade my bike purchase - I bought a santa cruz superlight from a LBS today. lol.

Congradulations!
    I bet a poker tourament is exciting; I would like to enter on [maybe when the kids go to college I will]

Anyway, returns are easy
    just ship back to us
    and once we get it in new condition [which yours will be of course]; we issue refund

Enjoy the santa cruz, that is a super nice bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hey, thanks mike --- I emailed you guys earlier to see what the best way to return it was...

accept it, and drive to UPS and ship it back?

or just refuse shipment from UPS when they come?

is one cheaper for me than the other?

yea... i had a good experience so far with you guys - helpful in choosing a bike --

and I am sure i would of been happy with the gravity ---- but once i had the extra loot the temptation of the santa cruz was too much. lol.

thanks for the response - wouldnt hesitate to buy from you again (even though i didnt take the bike) lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    oh mike - i put it for sale on the local craigslist also - so if someone wants a good deal locally - might have yourself another new customer. haha.

figured I would sell it $40 under what your asking (if i have to pay for shipping anyways) -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace244
    Well guys -

That is outstanding. I hope you enjoy the SC! You got pics?

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtx77
    Almost bought my 29er from BD last year. If I was buying today BD would be my choice. Unbeatable value for the money. Mike has a winning business model. I just hope he can manage his growth effectively.

Agree about the snobbery. Its getting as bad as fly fishing snobs. Roadies are the worst though.

Shut up and ride.
    my bikes are a steelie hardtail that i built from used e-bay parts and a specialized commuter i also built from used e-bay parts. so snobbery is really not in it for me. i'm a cheap bastard and my gear is cheap, but durable.

my beef is a simple one. BD comes on here and says "buy from us, our bikes are just as good as bikes that cost 2-3x more." to someone who doesn't understand component groups, frame materials, geometry, etc, it seems like a realy good internet deal and that the LBS is trying to rip them off.

jenson, CBO, pricepoint, just to name a few, also sell bikes on the interwebs (and better bikes at that) without the pretense of 60% off an imaginary MSRP. and if you go to your local LBS on a budget, they may give you a deal on an older model year bike that's collecting dust.

in defense of BD, their bikes are worth exactly what they sell them for, and are cheaper than the competition. but why do they have to get on message boards with sock puppet posters and try to post testimonials of how BD.com is a secret no LBS wants you to know about or why can't they just be more up-front with their prices.

i sold an old DSLR on e-bay a week ago for 500 bucks. nowhere in my description i said that once it was worth 1800 dollars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That is outstanding. I hope you enjoy the SC! You got pics?

no pics yet - but hopefully soon - wouldnt want to jack this thread anyways it is a great thread. lol.

mtbr member

Smile

Thanks, I was thinking about going with a solid fork like on the GT Peace 9r

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    jenson, CBO, pricepoint, just to name a few, also sell bikes on the interwebs (and better bikes at that) without the pretense of 60% off an imaginary MSRP. .
    hmm
    this pricepoint Sette is only 57% off their 'imaginary MSRP'
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-3.1.htm
    so I guess I get your point

but seriously; there are risks and rewards for buying bikes in bike shops, online, or used.

I find it odd that any cyclists are against any source option of quality safe bikes
    not saying you are, of course, but that some posters seem to only like one option and do not recognize the risks of others

mtbr member

New question here.

my bikes are a steelie hardtail that i built from used e-bay parts and a specialized commuter i also built from used e-bay parts. so snobbery is really not in it for me. i'm a cheap bastard and my gear is cheap, but durable.

my beef is a simple one. BD comes on here and says "buy from us, our bikes are just as good as bikes that cost 2-3x more." to someone who doesn't understand component groups, frame materials, geometry, etc, it seems like a realy good internet deal and that the LBS is trying to rip them off.

jenson, CBO, pricepoint, just to name a few, also sell bikes on the interwebs (and better bikes at that) without the pretense of 60% off an imaginary MSRP. and if you go to your local LBS on a budget, they may give you a deal on an older model year bike that's collecting dust.

in defense of BD, their bikes are worth exactly what they sell them for, and are cheaper than the competition. but why do they have to get on message boards with sock puppet posters and try to post testimonials of how BD.com is a secret no LBS wants you to know about or why can't they just be more up-front with their prices.

i sold an old DSLR on e-bay a week ago for 500 bucks. nowhere in my description i said that once it was worth 1800 dollars.
    I was looking at bikes on Ebay at it seems that 29er are crazy on there or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am new here, my Gravity 29point1 will be here Wednesday. I will post pics as soon as I get it together. Again, I am just excited to get back in a saddle again.

mtbr member

Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL

Just received my 13" Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL and much to my surprise it arrived as the high end upgraded version from the original specs and so I even got more of a value here...I actually ordered the $995 one and ended up with the $1495 one?? It came with the FSA afterburner crank and is a 2x10 setup...all xtr dyna sys componanents including the shifters, and both deraillers, the Elixer CR's...came with the RL Reba and not the SL version; however I could not find any difference when researching that fork anyway unless it was the RLT in which is different. I can't be happier and will not be switching much out now other than the seat post, bar,stem and headset and seat..

There is much to setup and I can't get to it until later this week or weekend and so I'll post pics after she is built up.

mtbr member
    Just received my 13" Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL and much to my surprise it arrived as the high end upgraded version from the original specs and so I even got more of a value here...I actually ordered the $995 one and ended up with the $1495 one?? It came with the FSA afterburner crank and is a 2x10 setup...all xtr dyna sys componanents including the shifters, and both deraillers, the Elixer CR's...came with the RL Reba and not the SL version; however I could not find any difference when researching that fork anyway unless it was the RLT in which is different. I can't be happier and will not be switching much out now other than the seat post, bar,stem and headset and seat..

There is much to setup and I can't get to it until later this week or weekend and so I'll post pics after she is built up.
    Congrats on the bonus on the new bike!

mtbr member
    I just went to REI to see what they got going and found this, Marin Alpine Trail 29er Bike - 2010 Reduced to: $599.99 and was just wondering is this the bike with best components for the price?

mtbr member

Upset

I just went to REI to see what they got going and found this, Marin Alpine Trail 29er Bike - 2010 Reduced to: $599.99 and was just wondering is this the bike with best components for the price?
    Never mind REI's web site is screwed up and when you click on the 2010 model it takes you to the 2011

mtbr member
    Never mind REI's web site is screwed up and when you click on the 2010 model it takes you to the 2011
    I just talked to REI and they said the 2010 model was sold out and that's why there silly web site was redirecting me to the full price 2011 model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trawets
    I am new here, my Gravity 29point1 will be here Wednesday. I will post pics as soon as I get it together. Again, I am just excited to get back in a saddle again.

Congrats on your purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got a gravity 29 point 3 arriving in 2 days. should be able to get it set up this weekend. I'll post pics and thoughts this weekend and throughout the summer for those interested in the bike.

mtbr member
    I've got a gravity 29 point 3 arriving in 2 days. should be able to get it set up this weekend. I'll post pics and thoughts this weekend and throughout the summer for those interested in the bike.
    cool post some pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interested in the Gravity3.

Selling my steel, rigid, single speed KHS Solo One for one with gears and front squish.

Probably going to buy one this week. Any idea what the 21" weighs?
    "...there was a time, and that time was so long ago..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ordered a 21", I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anno
    Interested in the Gravity3.

Selling my steel, rigid, single speed KHS Solo One for one with gears and front squish.

Probably going to buy one this week. Any idea what the 21" weighs?
    Point 5, 19" frame was 29lbs 11oz according to BD

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    Point 5, 19" frame was 29lbs 11oz according to BD

pretty close, the 21" 5 they sent is about that weight

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    gravity 3 arrived today. 21" weighs about 33 pounds, if you believe my bathroom scale. website says it comes with avid elixir 3 but I got juicy 3 instead. there was also a small leprechaun in the box but he was dead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    do you have to upload pictures to the web before you can post them here? is there no direct, simple way to do it from your comp?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks, today is delivery day. I have the day off and I am ready to put the bike together...the problem is that its 2pm and still no ups delivery! This is driving me crazy...

mtbr member

I have now completely disassembled down to the frame only..Taking it in to have it powder coated in a white finish...The frame is very light and I will weigh it prior to having it painted. Turnaround is about 4 days then I will build it and then follow up with some pics when all completed.

poser Administrator
    do you have to upload pictures to the web before you can post them here? is there no direct, simple way to do it from your comp?
    you can add them directly from the post as long as you go to the advanced posting option. It is at the bottom below the text entry window. There is a size limit, 1024x768 I think so they may need to be resized.

Alternately you can upload them to a photo hosting service, like picasa, flickr or the like them just use the link.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Woohoo, UPS just dropped off my bike. Will post pics when its together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the weights!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My bike just out of the box and on a first short ride this morning. It rode great with only a few minor tweaks, I am very happy with my purchase. Cant wait to get back out, if only work wouldnt get in the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok, guess I need to learn to post photos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Here are the picts.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trawets

Here are the picts.
    FTFY

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm a triathlete thats coming up on the offseason, and would love to hit the single tracks around my area (upstate SC) for some cross-training/exploring. Would this bike fit the bill? Does it have anything I need, or do you expect it to fail me in some way? I'm probably not going to do anything hardcore or crazy because I can't risk injury. I just want a way to put in some miles and get off the roads during the summer heat. The most I would ask for is probably an offroad triathlon on some fast, easy single tracks (thats why I'm looking 29er). I was thinking I'll probably want to go for clipless pedal too.

Oh yeah and what size for a 5'10" guy with that wears 31" 30"'s?

mtbr member
    Which Gravity level you are looking for (point 1 to point 5)? I would suggest the point 3 (or higher) since it has the Tora fork and X7 component set.

You need to check your cycling inseam... you might be comfortable on a 17.5" frame with a 30.5" stand over. The 15.5" frame has a 29.7" stand over which could also work too depending on if the top to length is long enough for you.
    Last edited by GEARHEAD_ENG; 04-28-2011 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beebs
    I'm a triathlete thats coming up on the offseason, and would love to hit the single tracks around my area (upstate SC) for some cross-training/exploring. Would this bike fit the bill? Does it have anything I need, or do you expect it to fail me in some way? I'm probably not going to do anything hardcore or crazy because I can't risk injury. I just want a way to put in some miles and get off the roads during the summer heat. The most I would ask for is probably an offroad triathlon on some fast, easy single tracks (thats why I'm looking 29er). I was thinking I'll probably want to go for clipless pedal too.

Oh yeah and what size for a 5'10" guy with that wears 31" 30"'s?
    I would highly recommend the fantom pro 29er SL line for you with your interest in possibly some single track racing. You will find that the frame itself is a bit lighter as well as the components are at the top of the line. I just bought the 13" Fantom Pro 29er SL (frame is 4lbs) myself and it is equipped with a 10x2 drivetrain with the FSA afterburner crankset and all dyna sys xtr components to include the shifters. Brakes are the Elixer CR...and of course the Rock Shox Reba RL fork...for what I paid you couldn't find a similar deal anywhere and to try and build a 29er with this setup of components would be in excess of $2k+. Service from Motobecane from before purchase email communications to the delivery of the bike and condition upon arrival was outstanding

I had just received my fantom pro 29er SL last Thursday and dropped off the frame yesterday to have it powder coated in a white matte finish. It will be ready next Monday for me to build her up. The only immediate switch outs I am making from the original components that came with it are the headset to a raceface, stem to a raceface deus ,bar to a raceface Atlas, seatpost & clamp (still deciding) and saddle to a Ragley Cheeky. Later will be the wheelset to a tubeless setup and lighter in weight all together. I resale all of my components and so it offsets my upgrades.

Sizing: At 5'10 if I were you I would probably shoot for the 17". I am 5'6 with a 30" inseam and both the 13" or 15" would work for me just fine..Just so happen they were out of the 15" when I ordered..frame geometry is very minimal in size difference with these two sizes. Prior to ordering I did compare top tube length to my previous Santa Cruz Blur XC just to be sure of where my comfort zone was for reach distance w/o much modification in stem length or seatub setup...stand over is a no brainer as the top tube is at an angle where it counts.

I will add though that I have YET to build and actually ride my 13" to know the true feel, expected next Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry I guess I was a little vague... I'm looking at the 29point1. Main reason is cost... I'm looking for the cheapest bike I can get that is reliable. I don't have the money right now to drop more than $500. Again, I just need something that will allow me to experience trail riding at the lowest cost. I don't know much about any of the components, but just want something to get by that isn't a POS wally world type bike.

Is the 29point1 worth it for entry into xc/trail riding or is it garbage as some would have you think?

mtbr member
    for a reliable bike at the $500 range I would look for used. Look at ebay, craigslist, or your LBS. Odds are high that you will get better components than the stuff that is on the 29point1.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

gravity 3

the specs on the website said deore FD, but it came with SRAM x7 instead. I swapped out the handlebar, 610mm was to narrow for me. it's all tuned in and ready to go, so naturally it had to rain today. everything looks to have survived shipping just fine, but i have noticed the paint job isn't the best, no big deal i guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-img_1307.jpg  

New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-img_1308.jpg  

New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-img_1309.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    for a reliable bike at the $500 range I would look for used. Look at ebay, craigslist, or your LBS. Odds are high that you will get better components than the stuff that is on the 29point1.
    Thanks. I would like to do that if I could. I'm just not so good at appraising or knowing what I need (I'm a newbie that just wants to ride) which is why I asked if the 29point1 would cut it. I'm knee deep in research and tri training, so I just need some help picking up something cheap that will work in a pinch and let me get out on the trails. I don't want a complete piece of crap that is going to take a lot of time and money to get trail worthy.

Can you tell me if the 29point1 is or isn't going to be decent for trail riding?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Thanks. I would like to do that if I could. I'm just not so good at appraising or knowing what I need (I'm a newbie that just wants to ride) which is why I asked if the 29point1 would cut it. I'm knee deep in research and tri training, so I just need some help picking up something cheap that will work in a pinch and let me get out on the trails. I don't want a complete piece of crap that is going to take a lot of time and money to get trail worthy.

Can you tell me if the 29point1 is or isn't going to be decent for trail riding?

You will probably find the fork lacking in stiffness and overall performance. Upgradining to whatever level nets you a Tora would probably be money well spent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looks good. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Im not a skinny guy @ 240, I will update as I get more riding in on the 1. So far so good,
    only about 3 miles on it so far. More to come after work tonight.

Green Wrencher
    You will probably find the fork lacking in stiffness and overall performance. Upgradining to whatever level nets you a Tora would probably be money well spent.
    This... The fork makes the ride, it determines how you feel the bumps and bounces. The 3 model/Tora or the 4/Recon. I am not 100% sure but i think the Recon is a solo air model.

Wanted the 4 but they sold out so I went for the 5.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the bonus on the new bike!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Thanks

I put in a request in an attempt to find out who the mfg is of the unknown Gravity Hubs that came on my wheelset. I can't seem to find any information on this brand anywhere in an attempt to get the technical specs on them...Would like to eventually over the next couple of months part with this WTB Laser Disc wheelset as they are heavy and pick up a pair of Stans ZTR Crest 29er's tubeless with the ztr hubs..this will knock off about 3+lbs off of the total weight of the bike setup.

If anyone here may possibly know this answer that would be fantastic, otherwise hopefully BD will provide this information, as everything else that came equipped on the bike, both the specs and technical documentation are readily available online at all of the mfg sites and then some

Green Wrencher
    I put in a request in an attempt to find out who the mfg is of the unknown Gravity Hubs that came on my wheelset. I can't seem to find any information on this brand anywhere in an attempt to get the technical specs on them...Would like to eventually over the next couple of months part with this WTB Laser Disc wheelset as they are heavy and pick up a pair of Stans ZTR Crest 29er's tubeless with the ztr hubs..this will knock off about 3+lbs off of the total weight of the bike setup.

If anyone here may possibly know this answer that would be fantastic, otherwise hopefully BD will provide this information, as everything else that came equipped on the bike, both the specs and technical documentation are readily available online at all of the mfg sites and then some

Funny you mention the wheels and their weight. I put a wheel on the scale and it hit a whopping 5 pounds! My jaw hit the floor... The WTB Laser Discs are on the heavy side.

poser Administrator
    Funny you mention the wheels and their weight. I put a wheel on the scale and it hit a whopping 5 pounds! My jaw hit the floor... The WTB Laser Discs are on the heavy side.
    First I would take the wheel and tire apart and weigh the wheel and tire. I would bet the tire itself is trending towards 1000grs. You could knock a lot of weight off the wheels alone with just a tire upgrade, probably get a noticeable increase in performance as well.

Check your local riding forum to see what tires are a good fit but a nice all arounder tire is the Geax Saguaro for a racier tire with good volume and the Panaracer Rampage for a more all mountain tire with high volume and good grip.

Secondly the wheel itself might be heavier at the hub, which are probably Chinese or Taiwanese made and branded Gravity Hubs, the spokes are probably straight gauge and the rims are probably ok as far as weight goes. You could gain another noticeable increase in the performance by going tubeless conversion up front, although if they are anything like the Laserdisc 29er rims I had it isn't the easiest conversion.

You might not get to a 1800gr wheelset like a stans set but for about $150.00 you could gain a most noticeable improvement in both performance and flat protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    First I would take the wheel and tire apart and weigh the wheel and tire. I would bet the tire itself is trending towards 1000grs. You could knock a lot of weight off the wheels alone with just a tire upgrade, probably get a noticeable increase in performance as well.

Check your local riding forum to see what tires are a good fit but a nice all arounder tire is the Geax Saguaro for a racier tire with good volume and the Panaracer Rampage for a more all mountain tire with high volume and good grip.

Secondly the wheel itself might be heavier at the hub, which are probably Chinese or Taiwanese made and branded Gravity Hubs, the spokes are probably straight gauge and the rims are probably ok as far as weight goes. You could gain another noticeable increase in the performance by going tubeless conversion up front, although if they are anything like the Laserdisc 29er rims I had it isn't the easiest conversion.

You might not get to a 1800gr wheelset like a stans set but for about $150.00 you could gain a most noticeable improvement in both performance and flat protection.
    Great information ...In my research of this actual bare rim alone it is significantly higher in g's than others but it is a very durable rim to say the least. update: The hubs are in fact made by Formula ....

I've pondered picking up a different set of hubs, even used, and replacing with new spokes and nipples to lighten them up some but this alone would more than likely cost that extra $150 to do and when all said and done they would never come close to the weight of the Stans Crest set or some others that are alike and so I'd rather invest my extra $$ in a set of the Crests already laced to the ztr hubs for about $460 + the tires of course..another $100..So if I can sell my complete set including the kenda small block 8's that go for about $50/tire for about $300 it's be worth the extra $$ spent..this is just me though..
    Last edited by katalinagirl; 05-11-2011 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member

She's just about done

All that is left is my seat post clamp, in which I had to reorder the right size as well as some custom artwork for the frame (have to get my creative juices flowing) then send off whatever design I come up with for custom permanent vinyl decals to be created ...She goes out for her 1st test ride tomorrow to finish dialing her in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?-pornstar1.jpg  

Last edited by katalinagirl; 05-11-2011 at 11:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Can I get a 23" frame... please?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
    Can I get a 23" frame... please?

Gravity 29ers have been a bigger hit than I even thought they could be; so there is plenty of volume to add 23" frame

I will start on that now; but it may take a while

Plus boxes are an issue; packing and shipping 29ers is tricky in itself
    but adding 23" size will be a challedge as we have to be able to ship UPS
    [as do not ship anything by LTL]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Truthfully, I'm not even opposed to a longer 21", but I'm looking for something with a longer TT than my Rockhopper 21" and I've got plenty of room to move up to a larger frame.

Any chance of a FS 29er in a gigantisize?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All that is left is my seat post clamp, in which I had to reorder the right size as well as some custom artwork for the frame (have to get my creative juices flowing) then send off whatever design I come up with for custom permanent vinyl decals to be created ...She goes out for her 1st test ride tomorrow to finish dialing her in.

Watch out for chainsuck with those cranks. They have been giving people hell. Some of them have been fine but overall the rings like to hold onto the chain. I just had cannondale replace my crank after tons of issues. Hopefully they dont give you any problems. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

mtbr member
    Well crap, now that the other frame I wanted to get is out of stock again at Performance, I was looking on ebay and saw the unbranded Gravity 29er with Reba for a good price. Might end up with that. Been without my D440 since 4/12 after I took it to the shop and been wanting to ride.

But who knows.. It's either that or a Origin-8 Scout 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus
    Well crap, now that the other frame I wanted to get is out of stock again at Performance, I was looking on ebay and saw the unbranded Gravity 29er with Reba for a good price. Might end up with that. Been without my D440 since 4/12 after I took it to the shop and been wanting to ride.

But who knows.. It's either that or a Origin-8 Scout 29er.
    What is the unbranded gravity 29er? Could you post a link if that is allowed or pm? Is it bd? I'm still looking at the gravity 29.1 due to budget, but think if I do go that road, a new fork is in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What is the unbranded gravity 29er? Could you post a link if that is allowed or pm? Is it bd? I'm still looking at the gravity 29.1 due to budget, but think if I do go that road, a new fork is in the future.

I have about 60 miles on my 29.1 so far. I do find the fork lacking on rough terrain with my fat butt in the saddle. Other than the fork I am very happy with the bike and I have already referred a few people to BD. So for now I am checking ebay and cl for a killer deal on a replacement fork, until then I will deal with it.

mtbr member
    Its on Bikeisland.com, which is the mail order cousin of BD and cousin to Cycle Spectrum. Its all family owned or something. Anyway, they only have them available with forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered a 29point2. I figured the component upgrades are worth the $100 over the 29point1, but don't see any reason to go for the 29point3. I'm hoping the dart3 will be good enough that I don't want to upgrade. I can't wait to hit the trails. This is going to be my first "real" mountain bike.

mtbr member
    So that is a Fantom 29er you had painted?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Enjoy your bike. I think you will find it to be a great place to start. Good components for the price for sure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10