mtbr member
    Mar 2018

New bike - NINER Air 9 - Large or XL?

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a Niner Air 9 1-star. I live in Brazil and the current reseller doesn't have the Large or XL in stock for me to test out, even so it's really far from where I live.

I'm 190cm tall, inseam 90.5cm and my current bike effective top tube length is 710mm (tt+stem). My saddle height is set around 80~cm.

So, if I get the Large, the effective top tube length would only be 677mm (627mm tt+50mm stem). I could fix it using a larger stem, perhaps 80mm. However my question about the Large size is the saddle height: 483mm seat tube length + 370mm seat post, then using the saddle height at 80cm would only leave 6cm inside the frame, is it enough?

Or should I go with the XL frame? Effective top tube would be pretty close to my current bike, without any modification. Just the standover is a little close to my inseam 841mm vs 905mm.

I've done a generic bikefit at a Shimano service center to find out my recommended sizes for confort. I got:
    706mm effective top tube + stem
    811mm saddle height from BB
    421mm reach
    657mm stack

They recommended the XL for me, because of the saddle height. However according to Niner sizing guide I should stick with the Large frame.

So, any recommendations? I'm looking for confort, not performance, because sometimes I've lower back pain (and I know that I need to work my core ).

Attached is the Niner geometry and sizing guide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike - NINER Air 9 - Large or XL?-1.jpg  

New bike - NINER Air 9 - Large or XL?-2.png  

New bike - NINER Air 9 - Large or XL?-3.png  

mtbr member
    May 2018
    6 cm of the seatpost inside the frame is probably not enough. Most posts have a minimum marking as do most frames. I wouldn’t let a seatpost dictate which size frame you get.

Going with a xl will get you a little larger stack to keep your riding position a little more upright provided you keep the reach the same with a shorter stem. This would in theory get you a little more comfortable position.

mtbr member
    6 cm of seatpost inside the frame isn't enough, if you get the large size get a 400mm post.

I would get the xl for sure though, I'm your height and have an xl air nine and wouldn't want it any smaller.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromos123 View Post
    6 cm of the seatpost inside the frame is probably not enough. Most posts have a minimum marking as do most frames. I wouldn’t let a seatpost dictate which size frame you get.

Going with a xl will get you a little larger stack to keep your riding position a little more upright provided you keep the reach the same with a shorter stem. This would in theory get you a little more comfortable position.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. I'm quite inclined to got with the XL frame for a more comfortable position, just not sure if I would be able to use a shorter stem with enough weight on the front wheel for climbs, since it's already a 50mm stem.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    6 cm of seatpost inside the frame isn't enough, if you get the large size get a 400mm post.

I would get the xl for sure though, I'm your height and have an xl air nine and wouldn't want it any smaller.
    I see, Niner could send all the Large frames with a 400mm seatpost, otherwise it won't fit on most people +185cm.

And it's nice to know that you have a Niner Air XL! Could you please confirm the standover height, is it really 841mm and the effective top tube 652mm + 50mm stem?

mtbr member
    "Rule of thumb" I've heard for the longest time regarding minimum insertions is that the bottom of the seat post must extend past the top tube with the post at pedaling height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're 74.8" almost 6'3". 35.5" inseam.
    I'm seeing reach on a L is 445mm. You're right at the top of a L.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    "Rule of thumb" I've heard for the longest time regarding minimum insertions is that the bottom of the seat post must extend past the top tube with the post at pedaling height.
    Good to know, but if I go with the Large using a +400mm seatpost I think it will be a couple of inches below the minimum insertion, so it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You're 74.8" almost 6'3". 35.5" inseam.
    I'm seeing reach on a L is 445mm. You're right at the top of a L.
    Yup, that's what Niner height recommends. L frame is for 180 to 191cm, I'm 190.

But I'm really prone to go with the XL, for what I've searched over the forum according to height and frame sizes and even the Shimano store where I had a bikefit done told me to go with the XL. Just this Niner height recommendation let me really in doubt between L and XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Things fit with height and inseam. You have a long inseam which means a somewhat short torso. Because of that you need less reach.

mtbr member
    Get an xl, I'm your height with a long inseam and I would be really cramped on a large, even with a 90mm stem (xl) it feels a little short.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also remember that your inseam measurement should be barefoot, from the floor to solid flesh. A lot of experienced riders I know have never measured actual, and a lot of guys just use their pant leg size, which is not the same, - but I suspect you did measure actual.
    I'm your height too, 91.44 actual inseam (exactly 36"), and I have always ridden XL (always cross country style riding) in every mountain bike I've had for the past 30 years. My kid just recently outgrew me, he's been on XL for about a year, since he was 6'2" / 188cm.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

Jacob 34:19
    I'm nearly an inch shorter than you at 6'2" and ride a size large Air 9 carbon with a 100mm stem. It's a good fit for me but just barely. I think I'd agree with the others that an XL would be a better fit for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I've decided and went with the XL, ordered it today! Thanks to all!