mtbr member

New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL

So I pulled the trigger on a new RIP 9 frame and fork combo (https://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-RIP-...and-Fork-Combo) and I've heard alot of mixed things about it. I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have ridden this specific bike with the same or similar suspension setup. Thanks in advance

SS Pusher Man
    You should ask these kinds of questions BEFORE you buy something.

What if everyone said it was a piece of junk. What if they said donít waste your money on it.

Building it and ride it.....then tell us your opinion on it.

Seems like a nice bike.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Rip is total sleeper. You will be stoked. Post up in Niner forum. Youíll get a better response.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Rip is total sleeper. You will be stoked. Post up in Niner forum. Youíll get a better response.
    Agreed.

It's a great bike. Fantastic riding suspension. Unfortunately, the sizing doesn't fit me - so my frame will be for sale. But both the alloy and carbon 2017+ RIP9's are excellent.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    MTNBikeJ, I've been asking these questions amongst my local rider friends, and read at least 12 different articles about this specific bike over the last 3 months. Unfortunately my local buddies are not much of any help, and all the articles with the exception of 2 or 3, have all given it very high marks. It also doesn't help that not a single LBS around me has ninners in their inventory. The deal was too good to pass up either way, so I had to jump on it now or potentially pay twice the price. In the end I was just hoping for a little more insite from my fellow riders... not necessarily a "why are you doing this now" comment. Thanks though...

mtbr member
    Five0 and Hokie... Right on, thanks... it's my first long travel 29er, so I'm really itching to feel this thing out on the PNW trails.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by daprib View Post
    Five0 and Hokie... Right on, thanks... it's my first long travel 29er, so I'm really itching to feel this thing out on the PNW trails.
    What amazed me was how supple the suspension was, yet still climbing really well. Looking at the suspension kinematic analysis on Linkage Design (Niner RIP9 RDO 29'' 2017 - Linkage Design), you can see how the progressive suspension design - namely the quickly 'falling rate' at the beginning of the stroke - leads to the suppleness. The CVA suspension on the RIP9 pedals well, especially with a 30T 1x11 (11-46T cassette) drivetrain.

I also liked the big-hit bottom out resistance that comes from the super-progressive end stroke. If you like big drops and jumps, add a Token to the fork to match the progressive nature of the rear suspension.

Highly recommend building it with a -1* Works Components offset headset with the Lyrik that you bought... or a -1.5* headset and a reduced offset (42-44mm), 160-170mm fork.

I had a 51mm offset Lyrik on mine and ran it with -1* and -1.5* headsets. I preferred -1* with the 160mm, 51mm offset Lyrik.

mtbr member
    That is a great deal. I had the last version of the RIP RDO (125mm) and it was great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I actually bought that same frame and fork from Jenson about a month ago, because, like you, I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really justify the expense of building it up and just shipped it back a couple days ago.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that man... luckily for me I have my current short travel 29er trail bike to transfer all the parts over to the new bike.

Still chuggin' along
    Like others have said, its a sleeper. I test rode one about a month ago and I was really surprised with how nimble it is and it almost squirts you forward when you're climbing rooty, rocky parts. I'm surprised it doesn't get much attention, really. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it!
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha View Post
    Like others have said, its a sleeper. I test rode one about a month ago and I was really surprised with how nimble it is and it almost squirts you forward when you're climbing rooty, rocky parts. I'm surprised it doesn't get much attention, really. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it!
    I was thinking the same thing about the lack of attention bit. There weren't even very many reviews on the bike, good or bad. I'm headed to Duthie here in WA tomorrow, and I'm dropping the frame and fork off at the LBS to have the headset and crown race put on the bike. After that it's build time baby!!!

mtbr member
    As soon as I can, I'll be throwing up some build photos here... so freaking excited!

mtbr member
    What year frame is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    What year frame is it?
    2017 or 18, it's the dark grey aluminum frame

mtbr member
    looks dope!!!. I would rock it if I had all the parts to throw on it or else I wouldn't bother

The charts looks gooood

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just ordered the RDO version on competitive cyclist with GX bike build. Seems like a hell of a value. I got pretty much the whole bike minus wheels and fork for $2500. UPS should be here on wednesday with it, I'm chomping at the bit.

mtbr member
    Last run for my DB Recoil today, and the Niner is going in to have the headset and crown race put on... New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20180922_075501.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Iím on my fourth RIP9, multiple generations, love it. That aluminum frame and fork deal is hard to pass up so enjoy it man. Keep updating the build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Looking forward to the photos! I was about ready to pull the trigger on the same frame/fork combo when I stumbled upon one of the Jenson DB Mission 1's new in the box for half for about half of Jenson's sale price. Couldn't resist that one, but the Niner was next on my list. Seems like a fantastic bike.

FYI, if you need replacement linkage or hardware, another poster here contacted Niner, and said that those components for the RIP 9 AL are apparently the same as the carbon version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had a 20017 Jet9 - it was an awesome super fast ride. I did break the frame in half in less than four months of riding, but niner gave me a new one, just not dependable enough for me to keep. That price is awesome and I would reconsider a rip9 if they had an XL.

mtbr member
    New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20180925_075648.jpg
    New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20180925_075843.jpg

Looks like I'm gunna need longer brake hoses and shifter cables

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I had a 20017 Jet9 - it was an awesome super fast ride. I did break the frame in half in less than four months of riding, but niner gave me a new one, just not dependable enough for me to keep. That price is awesome and I would reconsider a rip9 if they had an XL.
    Wholly crap, in half!?!?! Was it carbon? Hopefully you made it out ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daprib View Post
    Wholly crap, in half!?!?! Was it carbon? Hopefully you made it out ok.

I was aluminum. Sheared down tube 100% through just below the main pivot. Did not notice any hairlines prior, but they were likely there so keep an eye on it.

New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-img_4994.jpg

Forgot to mention that I also broke a version 1 Rip9 just 3 years out of warranty.

Both times niner treated me fairly....but you never know and it is always anxious times waiting to find out if they will warranty or not...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You can totally buff that out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I was aluminum. Sheared down tube 100% through just below the main pivot. Did not notice any hairlines prior, but they were likely there so keep an eye on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4994.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	1218041

Forgot to mention that I also broke a version 1 Rip9 just 3 years out of warranty.

Both times niner treated me fairly....but you never know and it is always anxious times waiting to find out if they will warranty or not...
    Dang!!! I'll definitely keep an eye out for stress fractures in that area.

mtbr member
    Today I ordered the new cables for the bike, shimano MTB cable assembly set, brake hose kit, and dropper cable and housing. I also ordered the caliper adapters for 180mm front and rear The parts should be here Friday and I get to working on the bike over the weekend... I'll post pics soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    You can totally buff that out.
    Right!!! LOL... Or maybe some duct tape and bubble gum even.

mtbr member

Hope Back from her first ride! Im in love!

I transfered most of the parts from my old bike, except for the stem, forks, grips and brake rotors... She performed flawlessly I couldn't be happier!
    New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092454_resized_2.jpg
    New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092439_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092431_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092428_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092423_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092415_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092411_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092406_resized_2.jpgNew Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-20181004_092359_resized_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You should route the rear brake cable inside the swing arm. You donít want to hit it on something and rip it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    You should route the rear brake cable inside the swing arm. You donít want to hit it on something and rip it off.
    Good point, I'll probably do that tonight...

Still chuggin' along
    Nice color scheme! Glad you're enjoying the bike, too!
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-img_20181006_150921_234.jpg

Overlooking the hills at the end of SST at Galbi... damn what an awesome view

She looks right at home, loving the new niner!

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    While you're at it, you should run the front brake line on the inside of the fork leg. Having it routed on the outside (as you pictured above) is asking for a stick to catch it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    While you're at it, you should run the front brake line on the inside of the fork leg. Having it routed on the outside (as you pictured above) is asking for a stick to catch it.
    Way ahead of ya on that one... rerouted both front and rear before the Galbraith trip.
    New Bike Day... RIP 9 AL-img_20181010_104853.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks awesome!
    Thanks for sharing the pics. That is a really good deal and a seriously underrated bike.