mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New Bike Day - 2013 Specialized Carve Comp 29er

I am very much a beginner mountain biker. I've been riding for a long time, lot more on the road than in the woods. This is my first 29er. It really does feel like a monster truck compared to my 26 inch mountain bikes I've had in the past.

This is my first mountain bike with an air shock also. I've only had cheap Suntour coil shocks in the past.

I can't wait to get it in the woods. There is good singletrack around my parts with lots of log crossings. I'm hoping the 29er will give me more confidence going over the logs.

This is my only bike now so I will be using it for fitness road rides as well.

Sorry this is not the best pic, but it's in my office at work now, figured I would take a quick pic and post it up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Loving this bike! I have also never ridden a 29er yet but am in the market for one, let me know how you like it compared to the traditional 26.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey congrats on the new bike! You will def. notice a huge difference on a 29er. Not only will your riding still will be different but it will push you further! Enjoy!

banned
    Apr 2009
    Congrats.. I built my first bike 4 years ago (HT 29er Paragon)--that broke and last year got a new Superfly built up.. nothing like a new bike (just glad I got a 29er first) because I would have broken my leg without one.. Here is a video of my trails in Southeastern Pa.

Mt Gretna Singletrack - YouTube

And as you can see we 'Man-Up' here and ride 29er Hardtails in the Big Rocks!!

Rocky Ridge - YouTube

I am riding this one next! Insane on my Hardtail 29er!!!

Area 58. Mt Penn GoPro HD - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Those rocks would scare the crap outta me!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Congrats.. I built my first bike 4 years ago (HT 29er Paragon)--that broke and last year got a new Superfly built up.. nothing like a new bike (just glad I got a 29er first) because I would have broken my leg without one.. Here is a video of my trails in Southeastern Pa.

Mt Gretna Singletrack - YouTube

And as you can see we 'Man-Up' here and ride 29er Hardtails in the Big Rocks!!

Rocky Ridge - YouTube

I am riding this one next! Insane on my Hardtail 29er!!!

Area 58. Mt Penn GoPro HD - YouTube
    I have a 29er and a 26er and love them both. For the life of me, I don't understand how the 29er saved your leg on those rocky trails. I save the 26er for the most gnarly, rocky, crazy trails. I reserve the 29er for smooth, flowy, fast xc stuff. Steep rocky stuff with drops and tight twisty trails is where a 26er has the advantage.
    Now, the rocky XC stuff in those videos could go either way since it is more flowing track with big rocks rather than all mountain with big downhill. I would still be able to pick apart those short rocky downhills with my 26er with more speed and control than my 29er. On the other hand, the climbing advantage would go to the 29er on rocky stuff. However, the leg breaking would most likely happen on the downhills!
    Disclaimer: my 26er is an all mountain fs rig and the 29er is a hardtail.

OP: Nice bike! Enjoy it.