mtbr member
    Apr 2013

new bike - 29'er carbon HT or alloy FS?

First post! I am looking for some input and suggestions from the community.

I am getting back into cross country riding again after many years away from the sport. Realizing that updating my old Klein Attitude Race (lightweight Al hardtail, full XT groupset) with todays latest goodies is futile, I am now in the market for a new ride. I’m a former mechanic and bike builder and used to enter a few local XC races a year.

I’ve done some research online, visited local shops and did several parking lot test rides and narrowed things down to a Specialized Epic and the ’13 Epic Comp 29 as the front running model. A local shop has this bike … and now for the good part … a ’12 Epic Comp Carbon for the same price, in addition to a ’12 Stumpjumper Carbon 29’er hard tail on a blow out price.

Walking into the shop, I was thinking the alloy ’13 Epic all the way, with temptation being the ’13 Epic carbon if the test ride was awesome. Walking out of the shop, I almost fell in love with the Stumpjumper carbon hard tail.

Think I could be content with today’s tech on a carbon 29er hardtail or would I miss the Epic FS?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Sounds like you need to ride a lot more bikes if you have no clear Idea what you want.

People here will tell you all sorts of things, but you need to work it out for yourself.

A good place to start is with 1 of each & then keep adding bikes until the shed is full & you have to start putting them in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo1973 View Post
    First post! I am looking for some input and suggestions from the community.

I am getting back into cross country riding again after many years away from the sport. Realizing that updating my old Klein Attitude Race (lightweight Al hardtail, full XT groupset) with todays latest goodies is futile, I am now in the market for a new ride. I’m a former mechanic and bike builder and used to enter a few local XC races a year.

I’ve done some research online, visited local shops and did several parking lot test rides and narrowed things down to a Specialized Epic and the ’13 Epic Comp 29 as the front running model. A local shop has this bike … and now for the good part … a ’12 Epic Comp Carbon for the same price, in addition to a ’12 Stumpjumper Carbon 29’er hard tail on a blow out price.

Walking into the shop, I was thinking the alloy ’13 Epic all the way, with temptation being the ’13 Epic carbon if the test ride was awesome. Walking out of the shop, I almost fell in love with the Stumpjumper carbon hard tail.

Think I could be content with today’s tech on a carbon 29er hardtail or would I miss the Epic FS?

mtbr member
    I agree with muzzanic. Ride a lot more bikes. I upgraded my old HT last year and initially expected to buy an XC-style FS 29er like the Epic and then I found that the more I test rode the new "trail" bikes with slacker geometry like the Stumpy EVO (and many others) that I liked them more and more. I found that they could climb really well and handle the XC riding much better than I was expecting. As a bonus, they gave me a ton of confidence in descending through gnarly terrain. All in all, they were just a whole lot more fun.

In summary, don't rule out bikes that you initially thought weren't for you. Bike tech has bent the old rules of bikes a lot.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep, become a demo junkie. Even if its only specialized that you love. Find other demos and demo days in your area and get all over them..

You will be amazed at what you might find