Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 36er SS

23K views 86 replies 51 participants last post by  slocaus 
#1 ·
Here's some pics of the new 36er I've been riding. The geometry is tighter, with shorter chain stays, (about 19.25" inches,) and a shorter TT, (about 24".) Rake on the fork has been increased by half an inch, and combined with the shorter stays it handles quite a bit quicker. This one is built with Paragons for SS mode, and can take a rear der if I want. Build kit is pretty standard, Surly hubs, Profile cranks, WTB bars, green Brooks, etc. Gearing is a comfortable 25 X 17, making for a 53.1" gear. The finish is the polished steel I'm currently enamored with that has been clear powder coated. Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
36" absolutely rocks...and just plain makes folks smile

Ben,

Fantastic build, just another darn bike from your shop I want...no, need...maybe could justify...let me talk to the wife...think there's "yardwork" to be done in exchange!

Kudo's for building a beautiful bike for folks like me, someone who just appreciates well executed design and building work and rides his bikes...for FUN!

I'll attach a pic of our recent 36" creation here in Colorado Springs, a "Big Wheel" that a friend of mine built up from a collection of different vehicles, both Eric @Ground Up and Mindy Carter @CS West Bikes (that's her on it) collaborated.

Viva BIKES THAT INDUCE GRINS :thumbsup:

Allen

Attachments

#60 ·
From the photo I'd say Mindy's frame fit is all wrong. She has too much leg extention; lower the seatpost. Her KOP is all wrong; move the saddle forward. The bars are way too high and cockpit too stretched; shorten the stem...err...no... lengthen the stem. The good news is the stand-over looks spot on.

#61 ·
The beautiful part...

Of a bike such as this is that no matter the fit (it wasn't built for Mindy) and how hard one must try to accomodate the design...it still has the same final result.

Look at that beautiful smile Mindy has!

Ben hit it right on the head when he said bikes with BIG wheels aren't built to be "better" than another or for any real efficiency reason. They are built because they are FUN

:D

Allen

#62 ·
Soupboy v. Yardsworth

Fat man on a little biii-yike. Picture of a 5'15.5", 260# asshat on a 36er. I dare say it would look normal if I was using my standard 27" wide risers.

Heavy: Me, yes. Bike, sorta.
Overlap: Don't be an idiot.
Fun: Bet your life Kemo Sabe

Pure shiggles. If it wouldn't result in insta-alimony I'd order one right now. Now, where's that 36" Nano? (prolly hiding with Cloxxi's 37t cassette!).:thumbsup:

Attachments

#64 ·
This could be dangerous...

I just keep going back and staring at the pictures of this amazingly cool bike!

Absolutely beautiful framework and the more I look at it...the more "right" it seems. Being a 6'1" kind of rider I feel that this bike could be the ultimate cruiser/townie/path/sidewalk/trail/nightride/cafe grin-inducing bike I've ever seen.

Guess that doesn't really bode well for my potential style-choices but then again...if your grinnin', who cares, right?! :D

Way to go Ben, keep the Yardsworth alive. If the 29er thing was the "Big Revolution", what are you going to call this?

#65 ·
I wasn't comfortable enough with the drops to attempt going off the dock. The drops felt pretty nice but I'd personally run risers. Also, Ben reminded me that it was a Post Office facility after I rode up there - Los Federales don't take kindly to hijinx these days.

Cloxxki said:
I suppose the 36"er renders that loading dock a mere roll-off?

#71 ·

I wanna see a pic of you hucking it off that loading dock in the background.

Wait--check that. That wheel's big enough for you to roll off the loading dock...

Love it. Surfing over to Ben's site to find his phone number right now...

MC

#74 ·
Mike, PM or email me for my cell #. I've been out of the shop for a bit.

I love that picture of Soupboy. Look at him in relation to the cars in the background! He simply dwarfs them. Maybe Martini can post up the pic he has of how we got the geared bike down to the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo. It's funny.

I love the big wheel! I've been thinking of building one of those around a Conundrum Uni with a Large Marge and an Endomorph! I just haven't gotten around to it. That thing would be a hoot to ride!

The Ledge is a bit intimidating. It's is bigger than it looks, (and Federal property.) The bike is a long thing, and it would take a better rider than I to wheelie drop it. The geo is set up with a weight forward bias, making it harder to wheelie etc.

I will be posting up some videos as soon as I get some time. I promise they will be worthy of the wheelsize!

Cheers to all,
Ben

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.