Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 36er SS

23K views 86 replies 51 participants last post by  slocaus 
#1 ·
Here's some pics of the new 36er I've been riding. The geometry is tighter, with shorter chain stays, (about 19.25" inches,) and a shorter TT, (about 24".) Rake on the fork has been increased by half an inch, and combined with the shorter stays it handles quite a bit quicker. This one is built with Paragons for SS mode, and can take a rear der if I want. Build kit is pretty standard, Surly hubs, Profile cranks, WTB bars, green Brooks, etc. Gearing is a comfortable 25 X 17, making for a 53.1" gear. The finish is the polished steel I'm currently enamored with that has been clear powder coated. Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
The frames are made by a builder here in Faribault MN named Mike Pofahl. He's a small garage builder who has been building frames for 20 some years. He does a lot of work with tandems and road bikes. It's pretty much a referance only thing as he doesn't even have a phone number in the phone book. He has built 7 or 8 frames for customer's of mine and three for me.

This is the third of 3 36er that I know exist, (Cokers excluded.) The second bike was built by my friend Aaron Pidde, or Blonde Fabrications out of MN. This was the bike that some people saw at Chequamegon this year. I built the wheels for that one, and he fabricated the frame. Th first one was built more or less out of idle curiosity. We liked that one so much I had another built to refine some of the ideas from the first. It has proven to be the most overall fun bike I own to ride.

#29 ·
Video Request

Really nice job Ben! When you get a chance, try to upload a short video of you riding that beast. It would be interesting to see how easily it traverses over logs and such. With so many people wanting to test ride this rare bike, a video would be the next best thing.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, here is the automotive equivalent of your 36er.:D

Paul

#30 ·
Nicely done, Ben!

Great to see the Yardsworth out finally. Can't wait to throw a leg over the latest version sometime!

Just to reinforce what Ben has already posted, the original 36"er was no problem at all to ride in regards to toe overlap. Ben and I are roughly the same build, and I never came close to clipping my toes on that first bike. (And niether did the several folks that rode it at the Bigwheel Ballyhoo in June)

Also, I have always asserted that this is the most grin inducing bike (now bikes) that you could ride. That alone makes having one worthwhile. That it traverses city streets and gravel roads like a magic carpet is a bonus. (By the way, I have nothing to gain by saying these things, I just really feel that strongly about the bikes)

Another disclaimer: I own a Pofahl single speed 29"er, so maybe you could say I'm a bit biased. Maybe...........:rolleyes:

Anyway, I wish all of you could give one a whirl someday. It's more fun than humans should be allowed to have. :p

#31 ·
Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :thumbsup: must be a blast to ride down the streets, peoples jaws must just drop. Not sure on the drops, you have enough room to have run normal flats or even a riser. Do you just prefer drops?

#32 ·
Soupboy said:
What a stupid gay bike. :thumbsup:
If only I would have had this bike the other night when the two guys in a pickup truck slowed down and took the trouble to yell, "Queer f*****g f*g!" at me.

They would have had the chance to scream, "Queer f*****g f*g on a stupid gay bike!" instead.

I sense that a great opportunity may have been missed and I'm so sad for them... :smallviolin:

Cool bike. ;)

#34 ·
The drops are an experiment. I have a love for wide flat swept bars. I'm running the Salsa big'uns on my other bikes. This seemed like a novel bike to try the drops, as it really is an all purpose cruiser anyway. If if doesn't work out, there is plenty of room for a flat bar, and they work well on the first bike.

GT, I have two of these now. When do you want to ride? They'll both be rocking at Homie Fest up here on the 20th. Do I sense a reason to visit the in-laws?

I'll work on the video. Probably tomorrow.

#39 ·
Does Rockshox....

benwitt11 said:
Here's some pics of the new 36er I've been riding. The geometry is tighter, with shorter chain stays, (about 19.25" inches,) and a shorter TT, (about 24".) Rake on the fork has been increased by half an inch, and combined with the shorter stays it handles quite a bit quicker. This one is built with Paragons for SS mode, and can take a rear der if I want. Build kit is pretty standard, Surly hubs, Profile cranks, WTB bars, green Brooks, etc. Gearing is a comfortable 25 X 17, making for a 53.1" gear. The finish is the polished steel I'm currently enamored with that has been clear powder coated. Enjoy!
... make a Pike for it yet?

:thumbsup:

#40 ·
29erBidwell said:
Benwitt, that is TOO MUCH FUN! Someone is bound to ask . . .

. . . so, I'll do the honors. What ballpark price range?
Any custom builder can build these, so I'd say it would vary. Wheels end up being about $4-500, and tires about $100. So it could be done from some guys for $1400. It could be a lot more depending on parts. Chances are most guys have the necessary parts laying around to build on after getting a frameset and wheels. I'm not doing this to sell any, these are just fun projects.

I'm really waiting for another builder to get one going. It would be interesting to see someone else's take on the concept.

#43 ·
Ride ???

No way this is the prime opportunity for the first ever 36" wheeled MTB race :D
I'd like to see the video of that :D GT vs Benwitt :thumbsup:

benwitt11 said:
.........................GT, I have two of these now. When do you want to ride? They'll both be rocking at Homie Fest up here on the 20th. Do I sense a reason to visit the in-laws?

I'll work on the video. Probably tomorrow.

#47 ·
Am I ever glad to be a bit taller! 1.5"of extra top tube I can handle, just like an XL Fisher.

Deep respect for Ben's daring mind. For several years the 36"er and designs for it have been discussed on this forum, so far only Ben has had the balls to make it happen. And then so darn well.
BB looks like it's lower than 12.5" on yours Ben, how much BB drop is that? Wouldn't a slightly taller BB make the bike more flickable also?

Envying GT for that test ride...

J

#48 · (Edited)
36" blondefab

Padre said:
I'd love to see one of those built for a guy my size...I dare say it might look "normal."
A little bit closer to your size Padre.

http://www.frameforum.net/forum2/index.php?showtopic=5091#

Ben, did Aaron(blondefab)send you any new pix of his 36?

BTW- Nice 36! I dig the double top tubes, reminds me of Torkers and a few other BMXer's
back in the day!

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

#51 ·
RockStarRacing said:
that is the ugliest bike i have ever seen.
You didn't like the first one, why bother posting anything now?

The first bike had a 13.5" BB height, so this one is quite a bit lower at 12.5". I'm not sure that that would make it more flickable.

The bb area is very stiff on this one. Making a Wolfhound esque rear end has the potential to make the chainstays shorter yet, which would of course be better. There is spoke windup, so I'm not sure a stiffer frame would help anything. The wheels are the flexiest point of the bike. The spoke windup has a curious effect of smoothing out power transfer, making the bike ride very smooth indeed. It is a truely uncanny thing to feel, but is actually nice when riding. Strang I know, but I think it's something that other people would feel when riding as well. This feeling was very pronounced when riding in snow, and had the effect of making the bike much more stable in slippery conditions. It definately won over my Pugsley on hardpack, and was a close second through powder.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.