Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 36er SS

23K views 86 replies 51 participants last post by  slocaus 
#1 ·
Here's some pics of the new 36er I've been riding. The geometry is tighter, with shorter chain stays, (about 19.25" inches,) and a shorter TT, (about 24".) Rake on the fork has been increased by half an inch, and combined with the shorter stays it handles quite a bit quicker. This one is built with Paragons for SS mode, and can take a rear der if I want. Build kit is pretty standard, Surly hubs, Profile cranks, WTB bars, green Brooks, etc. Gearing is a comfortable 25 X 17, making for a 53.1" gear. The finish is the polished steel I'm currently enamored with that has been clear powder coated. Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
At the point it would hit, the fork would have to flex over 1.5"s at the tips. The fork is flexy, but I'm 185lbs with gear and with an eight inch brake it has never touched. I may be possible, but unlikely. the fork is just a bit longer than a 100mm corrected Niner, it's really not all that long.

#23 ·
serious said:
That looks very awkward to me. It is hard to find the upside of this setup.

Does the "coffin on wheels" tag represent what this bike would be on a technical trail? ;)
I didn't say that it was better on technical stuff, or that it replaced any of my 29ers. Its just a fun bike, that's all.

#25 ·
WOW...Okay...I am off to change my shorts.;)
Ben, how tall are you?? Curious.

#26 ·
Yup you can touch. But as illustrated here, just barely. Its no more than my track bike, you get used to it.

I am 6' and have a 34" inseam. I have a short torso, hence the stem and TT length. For reference, the seat tube is 17.5"s, the ETT is 24", and the BB spindle to saddle height is 785mm.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.