Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60

After an impulse buy on Saturday of a 7 yr old Cdale Bad Boy Ultra I returned it and picked up a Felt Nine 60. I ended up testing a few bikes but this one just felt right. My LBS gave me a 10 year parts warranty on this bike along with lifetime warranty on frame and lifetime adjustments.

I want to get a more comfortable seat and maybe a new crank but I did picked of some titanium Black Ops pedals (these - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...-L._SS500_.jpg) to replace the stock ones. I see a chainguard and some red piece on the inside of the front sprocket...note sure what that's for...There is also a clear disc of some sort inside of the sprockets on the back wheel. Can I remove all/any of them?

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-3.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-1.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-2.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-4.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-5.jpg  

Flow like water
    The clear plastic ring between the spokes and the rear cassette can go. You need to remove the cassette to take it off. Another opportunity to buy a tool.

The seat looks good. What is it? Comfortable is relative to your experience and the conditioning of your butt. Some good seats look like that one.

I don't know about the red item in your chainrings.

mtbr member
    10 year warranty on parts? Never heard of that ever. That is one awesome LBS. Also, have them check your Headset compression ring and dust cap.......something looks a little weird there. Great bike though! Have a bunch of fun with it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    The clear plastic ring between the spokes and the rear cassette can go. You need to remove the cassette to take it off. Another opportunity to buy a tool.

The seat looks good. What is it? Comfortable is relative to your experience and the conditioning of your butt. Some good seats look like that one.

I don't know about the red item in your chainrings.
    I think I can actually cut out the clear piece without removal. The seat is a stock seat but it's pretty sweet....just not used to it. Butt bones are sore today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    10 year warranty on parts? Never heard of that ever. That is one awesome LBS. Also, have them check your Headset compression ring and dust cap.......something looks a little weird there. Great bike though! Have a bunch of fun with it!
    What are you referring to with the headset compression ring and dust cap? What do you see?

get down!
    Nice bike, what's up with those new Rock Shox logos though? They look super basic.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Nice bike, what's up with those new Rock Shox logos though? They look super basic.
    No idea...haven't followed the logo progression for Rockshox. The 2013 frame is a complete redsign....maybe the shock they use...... isn't. Believe they are XC30's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Love the 60! This is what replaced the Felt Nine Sport! One of the best bikes for the 1,000 price tag! You are going to love this bike. I'm a tad jelous as I love the new frame re-design. The stock fork is a ok entry level piece but down the line you may want to consider upgrading to a dual air piece. I just put a Reba on my sport and the bike is night and day from what it was stock! Enjoy!
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boatcop1 View Post
    Love the 60! This is what replaced the Felt Nine Sport! One of the best bikes for the 1,000 price tag! You are going to love this bike. I'm a tad jelous as I love the new frame re-design. The stock fork is a ok entry level piece but down the line you may want to consider upgrading to a dual air piece. I just put a Reba on my sport and the bike is night and day from what it was stock! Enjoy!
    What would I notice with a different shock in comparison? Anything else, short term, I should consider replacing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Honestly I would just enjoy it for now and figure out as you go what weak points you would like to upgrade. I ride very hard so I tested the limitations of everything so far.

Some experiences I've had so far:

The crank and BB are real heavy.
    The stock wheel set and hubs are real heavy.
    The rear derailer needs to be adjusted a lot (but again i thrash mine).
    Brakes can get squeaky but eh.
    Front derailer is notchy. You just need to press hard to get a nice smooth chain jump.
    The front fork. Mine came with the XC28 and I believe yours has the XC30. Essentially the same fork. My lockout was useless and it was really difficult to dial in being a spring fork. Very spongy as well. My new fork allows for negative air pressure which allows for rapid travel and response going over normal terrain and then you can add up to 160 psi for the big stuff. It feels a lot more rigid and rebounds very smooth, not as jarring as the 28. And of course it's lighter by 1.5lbs.

I changed the wheel set to a lighter set and it's like a new bike literally.

Like i said, i would just enjoy it for now. In time you may or may not find weak spots. Great frame to build on too!
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    What are you referring to with the headset compression ring and dust cap? What do you see?
    It may just be the angle of the photo or light reflection, but it looks like there is too much space in between the dust cap and cup.....like the compression ring didn't seat properly. It's probably fine and just the photo, but check to be sure.

mtbr member
    the red thing is just part of the big sprocket. i took my big ring off and put bbg bash on it and looks great! i love these new frames! i just need a new fork i got the nine70. very bad quality pic but i love this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No Stranger to danger....
    OP, nice work mate, after reading your last thread about your cannondale im so glad you took it back and got the Felt, this bike is 10 times better, infact theres no comparison, enjoy your new bike, it looks pretty slick....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    OP, nice work mate, after reading your last thread about your cannondale im so glad you took it back and got the Felt, this bike is 10 times better, infact theres no comparison, enjoy your new bike, it looks pretty slick....
    Agreed. This is sooo much better bang for buck that that black commuter you posted previously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Added XT cassette and SLX crank today (they didn't have XT in stock but have one coming in). Also swapped seat out for a WTB Connect for a little more comfort. Gave them a 10 yr old beach cruiser and $100. Not a bad deal. Mechanic made other adjustments and informed me that the tiny space where stem meets the frame was normal. Loving this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    nice bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have Nobby Nic's on the way along with a Velo/Felt Gel racing seat. LBS is swapping the SLX crank for the XT crank next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    nice bike, congrats on the purchase!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Some upgrades that are taking place right now...

Stan's Arch EX wheels
    Nobby Nic tires
    XT crankset
    XT rear dérailleur
    Formula RX brakes
    Easton Monkeylite2 Carbon handlebar
    FSR stem
    Trying to decide on some ergo grips (I have big hands) but dont like bar ends.

I'm giddy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Grabbed my bike tonight - man, what a difference. Weight, shifting, braking, everything just feels more efficient. I ended up going with XT brakes after reviews on here and an FSR handlebar. I also added XT shifters and XT front derailleur. Love my LBS because they literally kept every piece of equipment that I upgraded from and gave me credit towards my other purchases. Significant savings. Also ordered my wheels for me at cost. Pics coming this weekend.

EDIT: I also yanked off the not so tight Lizard Skin chainguard and took an old tube with zip ties to it. Looks awesome.
    Last edited by ddublu; 11-02-2012 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here are pics after picking it up last night....only thing left to do is upgrade the fork....taking suggestions... :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-1.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-2.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-3.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-4.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo-5.jpg  

New 29er pickup - Felt Nine 60-photo6.jpg  

Flow like water
    .taking suggestions... :-)
    It needs more dirt on it.

Dude, you have progressed from a semi-hybrid to a very nice trail bike. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice bike.

mtbr member
    did u have to get the bottom bracket threaded for the new crankset?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast