mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Cool-blue Rhythm New 29'er Owner - Looking for Helps!

Just picked up my Trek Fuel EX5 this last week and looking to get in some trail riding and some street commuting as well.

I'm looking here to see if any of you would be willing to share your insights with a new "29'er" as it relates to gear, hitch racks, components, backpacking or other riding HELPS.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to extend a hand to a newbie.

Stay safe!!!

mtbr member
    Just go ride your bike.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Best to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. I've tried reversing this. Didn't work well for me.

mtbr member
    Party pooper

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Just go ride your bike.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    Best to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. I've tried reversing this. Didn't work well for me.
    Not wanting to have that experience for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonXC View Post
    Party pooper
    ???

mtbr member
    your question is "I'm looking here to see if any of you would be willing to share your insights with a new "29'er" as it relates to gear, hitch racks, components, backpacking or other riding HELPS."

that is what the ENTIRE WEBSITE is for. it's all Mountain Bike Review for a reason. just spend some time searching the forum, articles, and reviews and come back to us in a few days with specific questions.

sorry if I am way off, but your question is very vague and the way your formatted the text sets off a lot of red flags that your are a spammer of some sort. you need to go ahead and find the approriate sub-forum and ask specific questions. asking such a broad question sounds like you are looking for search terms so you can target advertising. if you are really looking for answers, be specific.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    your question is "I'm looking here to see if any of you would be willing to share your insights with a new "29'er" as it relates to gear, hitch racks, components, backpacking or other riding HELPS."

that is what the ENTIRE WEBSITE is for. it's all Mountain Bike Review for a reason. just spend some time searching the forum, articles, and reviews and come back to us in a few days with specific questions.

sorry if I am way off, but your question is very vague and the way your formatted the text sets off a lot of red flags that your are a spammer of some sort. you need to go ahead and find the approriate sub-forum and ask specific questions. asking such a broad question sounds like you are looking for search terms so you can target advertising. if you are really looking for answers, be specific.
    Well, I've got nothing to advertise. Just lots of initial questions from experienced riders. I've been a rather avid road cycler, however just getting into off road biking some.

Thanks!

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    1. Gear- you have the bike, get a Camelback if you do longer rides. DON'T ride with your road gear, get some baggies and full finger gloves
    2. Hitch rack- what ever fits
    3. No additional stuff needed unless you like to upgrade. Dropper post are the hot ticket theses days. Talk to locals for preferred tires for your trails/area. Only 29er specific components to talk about and wheels/tires/frames and fork.
    4. Bike packing - check Bikepacking and Bike Expedition - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Pedal to destination usualy works, no stress about 29...
    basics are
    proper tires for your use
    proper pressure for your weight/load(avoid flats and find comfort )
    get suspension adjusted for your weight/use if need be
    1 bottle is enough for me
    1 bag with good belt does a lot about 35 liters it all depends how much time you carrie your load
    all are personal choices i weight 150 very flexible, good endurance, not powerfull so we each find what works for us, depending where we ride, etc..
    i like trees please be gentle with them