mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New 29er Airborne vs Sette Razzo X7 vs TREK Mamba vs Kona Taro

Ok so I am retiring my old beat giant rincon that has been to mordor and back. Looking to get a nice 29er after riding several and absolutely falling for them. Been doing TONS of research the past few weeks to narrow down the right one for me.

Airborne Goblin $1200
    -Idealy my first choice but a bit pricey for my budget. Has the perfect shock and gearing combination 2-9

Airborne Gaurdian $600
    -Excellent bike but will need to upgrade the front shock eventually. Also hear lots of issues with front derailer (would rather have the 2x or single anyways) also there's some possible clearance issue with the rear tire and that derailer

Sette Razzo x7 $700
    -Haven't heard as much about this bike but all seem positive. Great front shock

Kona Taro $1200
    -New bike this year and only a 1x9 gearing so undecided if I should go this route. I Stay on the middle cog 99% of the time so I imagine I would be fine though.

I tend to like a bike with a lower standover, have more control over the bike. I also might get a small even though I should probably get a medium because I am 5'9" at 160lbs. I seem to ALWAYS ride the bikes with the seat post all the way down, most comfort for me

mtbr member
    What are your trails like?

You listed three XC bikes and one AM hardtail (Taro). The Taro is a new frame this year but it's just the AL version of the Honzo which has been getting rave reviews since its introduction.

The Taro will suffer a little bit going uphill but rip going down. It'll also be much more playful all around.

Razzo is a really old design, would probably avoid. The Airbornes look nice and have run of the mill geometry but a great value.

Airborne Flight Crew
    The only issue with the Guardian's front mech. is that you can't run a tire wider than the Small Block 8's it comes with, or it will rub. An upgrade to an X7 mech will solve this. Other than that, it seemed to work fine for me all last summer. What other issues have you heard of?

Its a great bike if you want to run it stock, or plan to upgrade slowly over time. If you can swing the $$, the Goblin is pretty ready-to-go, out of the box.

Have seem some Kona Honzo's on the trail, they look pretty fun too, but as GTscoob said, the Kona is quite a different machine than the others listed - not just the 1x9.

By the way, I'm 5'8", and rode a 16 inch Guardian/Goblin. But I prefer my bikes on the smaller side. You'd probably be right at home on the medium setup for the Airborne bikes.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I'm 6' with 31.5" inseam and I asked Airborne via email what size would be best for the Guardian: medium (18"). I have a large (20") Diamondback that I'm replacing and it's too big for me. So, I would just go ahead and email Airborne and ask. They'll respond in 24 hours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    "Razzo is a really old design, would probably avoid. The Airbornes look nice and have run of the mill geometry but a great value."

I have a Razzo and it is great - wouldn't sweat the old design. Ridden really hard for a year (rocky/rooty new england) and love it. That's 70 or so rides, I'm about 190 geared up and not very smooth, and it has delivered. Not saying the others aren't great, but I'd have NO hesitation recommending a razzo, especially at the recent prices. The ONLY thing I don't love is the chainstays are a bit narrow - my Kenda Nevegal 2.2 fits, but rubs now and again. I took a grinder to the outermost 2 mm knobs and keep the wheel true, and problems gone.

mtbr member
    All would be fine. I looked at all those 1200 range models and Im always disappointed with the component spec, many will throw some low spec parts on. Airborne seemed nice enough but no idea on the frame and geometry.

I chose to take $1200 and build up my own brand new bike. Full SLX 2x9, X-Fusion slide fork with remote lockout, On One Scandal frame with swap outs and headset, 29er tubeless setup.

Airborne Flight Crew
    In case the OP is curious, Airborne lists geometry specs on their website. Along with suggested sizing and standover heights:

Standover Heights
    16" = 27"
    18" = 30.5"
    20" = 31.5"
    22" = 32.5"

General Sizing Range
    16" = 5'2" to 5'7"
    18" = 5'7" to 5'11"
    20" = 5'11" to 6'2"
    22" = 6'2" to 6'5"

But, by all means - give them a call. They will be happy answer any questions and do their best to point you in the right direction.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I pulled the trigger on the Guardian last night. I decided this was my best route and can just change items later on if/when they need it. I am not a large person so I see the fork lasting me quite a while and will not ever need to go with a wider tire. Also wish there was free shipping and didn't have to pay the tax FML I feel as alot of the saving that I got with this bike went out the window for this when compared to a different vendor.

I did contact Airborne and expressed my concern about the sizing and they came back with a medium response as well. The medium bike was ordered although I still have some doubts that I should've gotten the small. I'm sure Airborne knows what they've doing when they suggested this size. I just hope I don't bust my balls on the stand over

mtbr member
    The tax of $95 was a bummer for me too, took the total up that much higher, along with $75 shipping so it ceased to make as much sense compared to what I could get locally or end up building brand new.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Congrats!

Any update - did the bike arrive? You should be happy on the medium, the small would feel cramped in the cockpit, and your standover should be comfortable....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Bike did arrive, although from BF California. Makes no sense to me had to pay tax yet comes all the way from there thus took longer than expected. Its alright it was rainy that week anyways. SUPER MAD PROPS AIRBORNE for making assembly THE most simple breeze ever. Took me all of 10 minutes to unpack and finish the assembly, for this I am VERY pleased. The sizing does feel appropriate now that I have it here although the standover is still quite scary, I must have shorter legs or something. The brakes are insanely nice! Coming from the very old cantilever setup. I really like how massive the frame is like the giant talon. The seat suck terrible! Rock fawking hard! Threw that on ebay immediately. There's plenty of room for the front derailer so not sure what the previous issues were there. The front shock is awesome although it vibrate quite a bit. Is this normal? Just rode around the neighborhood thus far, taking the trail tonight. Overall 8/10

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motozachl View Post
    Bike did arrive, although from BF California. Makes no sense to me had to pay tax yet comes all the way from there thus took longer than expected. Its alright it was rainy that week anyways. SUPER MAD PROPS AIRBORNE for making assembly THE most simple breeze ever. Took me all of 10 minutes to unpack and finish the assembly, for this I am VERY pleased. The sizing does feel appropriate now that I have it here although the standover is still quite scary, I must have shorter legs or something. The brakes are insanely nice! Coming from the very old cantilever setup. I really like how massive the frame is like the giant talon. The seat suck terrible! Rock fawking hard! Threw that on ebay immediately. There's plenty of room for the front derailer so not sure what the previous issues were there. The front shock is awesome although it vibrate quite a bit. Is this normal? Just rode around the neighborhood thus far, taking the trail tonight. Overall 8/10
    Hence the reason stand over is a poor way to judge a bikes fit.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass