Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I went into my lsb looking for a new bike to replace my 2005 GT avalanche. The sales guy told me to try the mamba which has now led me to look at 29er's! Great bike and great price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I just picked up one last week! I've only gotten one good ride in so far on a non technical local limestone trail ride. Excellent bike for the money! I kept riding a new Marlin back to back to back against the new Mamba and I had to have it. The fork feels great on this level of bike with my current clyde weight. I normally ride 17.5 to 18" or medium bikes, but I ended up with the 19" in the new Mamba and it feels great to me.

I love the orange anodized hubs, seatpost clamp, and bar. Nice attention to detail Trek!

Scott's Bikes eh?

mtbr member
    my 2013 Trek Mamba
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2013 Trek Mamba-img_0855.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Congrats! Very nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm really diggin' the black / orange color scheme on the '13 Mamba! Went to a LBS and test rode a Cobia the other day (same frame as Mamba / Wahoo) and loved it. I prefer the shifters on the Mamba though. I think the Mamba may be at the top of the list for my first 29er purchase! LBS quoted me $975, does this sound like a fair price or should I shoot for lower?

mtbr member
    I'm really diggin' the black / orange color scheme on the '13 Mamba! Went to a LBS and test rode a Cobia the other day (same frame as Mamba / Wahoo) and loved it. I prefer the shifters on the Mamba though. I think the Mamba may be at the top of the list for my first 29er purchase! LBS quoted me $975, does this sound like a fair price or should I shoot for lower?
    I shopped around a little and found it for $929 so you might be able to get it for lower. I didn't haggle though, that is what it was listed at. Another shop near me where I first test rode it was selling it at $1019. I originally tried to buy it from the place I test rode it at but they wouldn't price match with the other store, saying they would only lower the price if the bike was in stock at the lower priced shop.
    2013 Trek Mamba
    1997 Cannondale F700

singletrak junkie
    they come along way since when I got my 2011 mamba, they look great and have gotten excellent reviews..like the orange and black. I Cant wait to upgrade, starting to hit "real mountain bike trails" lately and need better forks and brakes.;
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidbert View Post
    I got my Mamba last week at my LBS for $949. It was the listed price & I didn't haggle. They threw in a few freebies to sweeten the deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidbert View Post
    Always shoot for lower, all they can say is no. See if they'll do $900.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nice looking bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How does this compare to the Rockhopper 29?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bicycle Village gives a 10% discount on 1 bike per year by signing up with their Einstein Bagel Club. Membership is free. This brings the bike to $840 excluding tax. Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Snap!!!
    Had mine a week,....
    Very impressed so far,...60km on-road, and off to the mountain on Monday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2013 Trek Mamba-cimg2131.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-cimg2125.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-cimg2109.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-cimg2108.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-cimg2104.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-cimg2101.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstition62 View Post
    Nice looking! It looks like there is still a clearance issue between the front deralliur and the rear tire! I just went from 2.1 to 2.2 tires and now my tire rubs. I have to use the two large sprockets until I can see if I can do something or go back to a 2.1 tire.
    Anyone else have this problem? I think my Mamba is 2012...
    I had a 2013 Mamba model, but took it back. It's terrible. The issue with the front derailleur and rear tyre is serious. I rode the bike on some trails, and within a quarter of an hour, the rear wheel started rubbing against the front derailleur. Then when I went down a bumpy downhill section, the front derailleur went into the chainrings. I had to move the derailleur back into position. It's bad design to have it like that. On a road bike it would probably be ok, but not an off-roader.

I tested a 2012 Mamba, but it was a 19" frame, and they had no 21" left. The 2012 was much better in regards to the brakes. The Hayes brakes have about 2cms (1 inch) of travel before they start to take effect. The Shimano brakes were much more responsive. I also feel the handlebars are too wide, it feels like you're splayed out over the bike. Going through woods or weaving through traffic is very dangerous.

Having gone from a 26" up to this 29", I was skeptical about the strength of the 29" wheel off road. I did a number of downhill trails and a few light jumps, and at the end of the session the front wheel had a slight but obvious buckle.

I'm completely rethinking about what to get as a new bike now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Some pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2013 Trek Mamba-20121025_231644_compressed.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-20121020_110445_compressed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    and more pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2013 Trek Mamba-20121020_110522_compressed.jpg  

New 2013 Trek Mamba-20121025_184219_compressed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipotri View Post
    and more pics...
    Awesome bike! Just curious on what you upgraded and how much does she weigh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Upgrades :

Shimano XT Kit
    Shimano Deore Brakes
    Bontrager xxx stem
    Eston ec90 handlebar
    Easton EA90 XCT wheels
    Selle Italia xc1 seat
    Bontrager xxx seatpost
    Specialized renegade tires 1.95

Weight 11.5 kg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    More...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2013 Trek Mamba-rps20121028_123550.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pipotri View Post
    Upgrades :

Shimano XT Kit
    Shimano Deore Brakes
    Bontrager xxx stem
    Eston ec90 handlebar
    Easton EA90 XCT wheels
    Selle Italia xc1 seat
    Bontrager xxx seatpost
    Specialized renegade tires 1.95

Weight 11.5 kg
    How much did it weigh before the upgrades and where do you think you shaved the most weight?

For the guys asking about the lowest price on the 2013 mamba, I got a peaak at the minimum price Trek allows today when I bought mine. $929. I paid less so it just depends on what your LBS is willing to do. I also bought a ride for the wife at the same time so that helps a bit.

Also is there any way to adjust the brakes, the engagement point is pretty low.
    Last edited by jimbos'ss; 11-07-2012 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    EDIT: found this on the brakes.
    www DOT hayesdiscbrake DOT com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/45-29157B_DYNO_THROW_SERVICE.pdf

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm trying to decide between the 2013 Trek Mamba and 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0.
    www .giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.29er.0/11521/55886/
    (remove the space for the url)

The guy in the store recommended the Giant due to better components, although I have read many good reviews about the Mamba...
    The mamba has a better fork (xc32 vs xc30) for example.

Any advise?

singletrak junkie
    the mamba forks are entry level , low budget. i would by a cobia and get the better fork. Its a hundred dollar fork on the mamba. Wish someone told me how cheap they were. Its just my opinion tho
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spk1264 View Post
    the mamba forks are entry level , low budget. i would by a cobia and get the better fork. Its a hundred dollar fork on the mamba. Wish someone told me how cheap they were. Its just my opinion tho
    There not great but they do a decent job. my only complaint is there is no remote for the lock out. I've definitely ridden on worse.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast