mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Need some help on what to choose....

Anyone have any feedback on the below options? Maybe there is something better out there in other brands?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/an...18?axapta=true

or the

https://www.specialized.com/au/en-au...cexpert/128845

or the

https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/b...?colorCode=red

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd give the nod on suspension design to the Giant. Are you looking at these bikes with the intent of racing, specifically?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Might go in the odd race but only for a bit of fun. Hoping to find a bike that is enjoyable as an XC bike but not to hard on the body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thargs View Post
    Might go in the odd race but only for a bit of fun. Hoping to find a bike that is enjoyable as an XC bike but not to hard on the body.
    I watch what my Trek employee associates choose and they do some of their prototype testing on the trail system I started or manage. One is a weight weenie and XC racer to the core and rides a Top Fuel. Since 2017 model change I've been surprised by how many choose a light build Fuel EX.

A successful racer friend is making endurance race and some XC race podium with the late model Fuel EX and not getting bounced all over or limited when he aims it downhill a ski area or gnarly stuff.

Hard on the body? I'm old and love my hard tails and older suspension bikes but a new Fuel EX has significantly upped what I can do whether that's now long on the bike, how fast or how big I go.

There are no rights or wrongs here. My opinion is most all well known bikes are good these days. Delay the gratification if you can and go test or rent bikes. I'm really glad my wife and I did that for our last 3 purchases. That testing changed what we thought we wanted and made no second guesses after the purchase.

Have fun testing and shopping.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With that kind of budget no way I'd buy a complete bike- I'd build my own.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by thargs View Post
    See, that's where I'd put the end to the Anthem. I own an Anthem 29er because I was thinking a lot like you. The bike is great, don't get me wrong. But it really is an XC race bike. It's built light, and designed to go fast, but it's fragile. I would encourage you to move away from the idea of a pure bread race bike, and look at something like the Fuel EX as opposed to the Top Fuel. Do like bitflogger says and test ride these bikes, and others and see what you like. If I had it to do over again (and I will do it again soon) I would have opened my mind to the idea of a trail bike instead of clinging to my old school notions that everything is either a downhill bike, unsuitable for pedaling at all, or an XC bike and I'd also scrap the notion of being "over biked" with a quickness. The reality is I can ride most of the trails around here as well on a rigid single speed as I can on my Anthem, and although the Anthem is more comfortable, I've broken the frame twice on that bike while being very conservative in my riding, and not at all on the SS in spite of goofing around a lot. My next FS bike will be capable of the goofing around I want to do, as well as being a good pedaler.

MTB B'dos
    If you want a general purpose bike, i.e. Trail Bike and not race specific bike, then that's where you should look. If I had that budget, like TwoTone, I would build it custom with everything I wanted and knew I liked, but I'll assume you're fairly new to this and don't quite have that expertise yet, so would advise to stick to complete's from reputable companies, preferably ones you can test ride.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??