mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Salsa Spearfish? Scott Spark? Those are two I'm interested in, especially the Spearfish.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Need to replace 29 hardtail race bike with 29 FS race bike, advice please.

So, I just have a gut feeling that a 29 racing full suspension frame, will be faster than my racing Chinese hardtail.

I just notice more and more guys racing against me with FS, and they are pedaling when I have to compensate, and can also rest a bit by pedaling while seated when I have to stand. (especially on long bumpy uphills)

And then I cracked my frame (completely my fault ) so I am now really really really looking at FS.

Relatively short stays very important, Maybe 80mm travel? At the most? Lightweight, obviously important.

Cross country racing, laps, every downhill comes with an uphill, averaging 25 miles or so.

Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    Salsa Spearfish? Scott Spark? Those are two I'm interested in, especially the Spearfish.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    I like the Scott Spark, because of the switchy-shock can get close to a hardtail (in theory) and the layup method seems a bit more advanced.

Spearfish I never thought of as a race frame, but that doesn't mean anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would replace it with a Superfly 9.8 with a wide wheelset-- either Wide Lightnings, 35mm Chinese hookless carbons or the wide Spec wheelset.
    The SF has great engineered compliance that is augmented by the added tire volume from the wide rims. You also get more sidewall support(a lot) and climbing/cornering grip. You run 3-4 psi less.

Cassoulet forever !
    spearfish is good.
    Spark doesn't have enought anti squat and bobs

i would look also at the Epic and Czar.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the Scott Scale and Spark.

I have an older and lower end model (29 Team) that has the shock (M210) with only two modes (open, and locked out).

I really like the Twinloc system, and I like having manual control over the lockout function. When it's locked out it IS like a hardtail and that's really great for sprinting and out of the saddle climbs...or even G-outs where u may not want it to compress.

I like being able to just hold it temporarily without locking the lever for real short periods, that's great.

In the saddle, it doesn't really bob that much, if it does it is minor and imo a non issue.

I would imagine the newer Sparks with the Fox shock rides even better.

I have rented a Giant Anthem 27.5 with Maestro suspension and that thing still bobs and compresses on out of the saddle efforts so comparing that to having Twinloc, I like having Twinloc.

I really like the Spark's geometry as well, it is really enjoyable to me. The other added benefit is that it is adjustable, high mode feels more aggressive, low mode feels more slack and trail-ish.

Test ride and pick what feels best to you.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, keep the ideas coming, (my brain is twisted from thinking about this, so I need the help)

mtbr member
    I was looking at a Spark when I got my race bike as well. However, reports on their terrible customer service drove me away. I got a Cannondale Scalpel instead and I am very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Why not go with a Chinese Full Susser? Take your parts and swap them over. The IP136 I think it is has 100mm rear travel and if you put on a rear shock with a lockout you have the best of both worlds and the frame might only set you back 650 or so.
    2006 Litespeed Niota -- 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 -- 1995 Specialized FSR -- 1988 Schwinn Prologue -- XMI IP-106 Carbon 29er