mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Need opinions on 14' Trek Superfly FS 8 or 15' Stumpjumper Comp HT

I'm in the market for a new bike. My previous bike was a 14' Stumpjumper comp HT. I went to 3 Lbs today and looked at Scott, Specialized, and Trek. I've narrowed it down to same bike I previously had but 2015(Stumpjumper comp ht), or a 2014 Trek Superfly FS 8. The trek is on close out sale for $2056 out the door vs $1880 out the door for the 2015 Stumpjumper. Should I go FS? I consider myself borderline intermediate and live in north Georgia so you guys have more or less an idea of local trails I ride. Nothing crazy. Only complaint I had about my 2014 Stumpjumper was the formula brakes which ended up being replaced by specialized with shimano. I rode the Superfly today and it seems pretty nice but I've never ridden FS before. I want to make my decision by Monday. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for all the help and replys!

Isaac

mtbr member
    I went FS 3 yrs ago and these days with the lock outs its pretty amazing as you can have a virtual HT. I loved my Trel Al Pro and love my SF Trek9.8 sl Carbon FS ....at 23.94 lbs after some mods 1x I have the best of both worlds and I can ride the Snake which I think FS is great for or do a 6hr at Ft Yargo or ride Bull Mtn....I say go with the SF. But I am Trek biased...only other bike I would try would be Trek Fuel 29er give you same suspension as a stumpjumper ...

mtbr member
    If you enjoy long rides (3hrs+) the rear sus may keep you fresher for longer. You will also find that rear sus greatly improves traction on loose, tech climbs.

mtbr member
    Agree with above poster....I am not 20 something anymore so riding a HT for 6hr race would be tough on the body. I am 43 and live here in Georgia. I have the Snake, Bull/Jake Mtn, Yargo, FS roads just about every terrain. FS is the way to go and most things here in GA the 100mm of travel is all you need. Now if you were in Colorado I would go with either Stumpjumper or the Fuel with 140mm of travel. Good Luck with your purchase. If you ever get close to Atlanta talk tot the guys at Atlanta Cycling...they may be able to get a closeout as well. Top shop imho great mechanics as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks ScottyJ7, I'll call them tomorrow if they're open. I'm only about 40 min north of Atlanta in Forsyth County. I usually ride Big Creek, Blankets Creek, and Rope Mill.

mtbr member
    If you have never ridden Bull/Jake Mtn outside of Dahlonenga....that right there is some of the best singletrack in n GA ....my favorite place if i had to choose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Why are you looking for a new bike? If the 2014 SJ HT isn't doing it for you, I doubt the 2015 version of this will. I do think FS has its comforts and pros, but in general, it has increased weight, maintenance complexity, and loss of pedaling efficiency, and these things are the cost for the freedom to do larger dropping off stuff and jumping and yes the *potential* (depending on your weight, skill, posture, etc) to improve comfort and longevity of rides. Unless you are doing rougher trails or downhill, I say stick with a hardtail. In that case, the stumpjumper HT should do the trick. Especially on 29er wheels.

That being said (as we are all opinionated, stubborn, untrusting dudes) I will tell you that I test rode trek superfly FS 9.8 carbon and at the same day I test rode superfly HT 9.8, trek fuel ex 9.8 26er, trek fuel ex 9.8 29er, trek remedy 9.8 29er, and these were all pretty sweet but the thing I took away (as I was trying to hold comparison in my mind) was that the superfly branch of bikes is a hardtail branch. them putting the FS on the superfly didn't really provide enough cush (cusion) for what complexity it added...for me anyway. That is just my 2 cents.

In the same day as the above demos I also tested a specialized stumpjumper evo 1 x 11 (10-42 cassette in back) which turned out to be my favorite. Even against the trek remedy. I guess that makes sense though.

Why are you getting a new bike when you have a 2014? Answer that first and we can help you get where you want to be.

mtbr member
    kevbeer that is some great feedback. I will say I rode mostly rigid bikes until college then didn't get back into riding until 8 yrs ago where I bought a Trek 4500 26e HT....I then jumped in 2012 to the Trek AL Pro Superfly (came with all XT components) my first ever FS and I loved the dual suspension. Now I grew up riding dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and when I got the FS I felt like I was on a dirt bike. After doing rides like Fools Gold 50, ORAMM, 6hr endurance races, Snake...all of these being longer distance I think the little bit of cushion goes a long way for comfort.

With that being said I had a friend who tried talking me into a HT and then he bought himself a FS Specialized Camber and to his surprise he was faster on all his local trails on the FS vs his HT. I did demo a Trek SF HT and it felt pretty lightweight and I almost went that way but I think with technology these days and the lockouts having the FS gives you better well rounded trail opportunities. My AL Pro weighed 26.8lbs with Stans Crest rims My current CF Superfly weighs 24lbs and thats with the RXL wheels from Bontrager.

but back to kevbeer's question why the new bike? if I were you I would ride what you bought for at least a yr then look to get something different next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Kevbeer, I said my previous bike because I no longer have it. Sold it 2 months ago which is why I'm in the market for a new one. Another reason I'm looking into FS is due to me fracturing my coccyx twice last year and thought the FS might help as it takes a very long time to heal and still felt pain after a long ride on the HT. I had the Stumpjumper since October 2013.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Superfly FS would be my choice of those bikes. Faster, smoother, more efficient (except on paved bike paths and forest service roads).

And FUNNER!

Any similar deals on 14 Epics? Kinda sorta splits the difference between the two bikes you're considering.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Superfly FS would be my choice of those bikes. Faster, smoother, more efficient (except on paved bike paths and forest service roads).

And FUNNER!

Any similar deals on 14 Epics? Kinda sorta splits the difference between the two bikes you're considering.
    +1 for the Superfly FS. Amazing bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride a Superfly 9.8 2014 with wide rims. In Phoenix I hit a Pivot demo for the Les, 429SL, and also took out a Yeti SB5c and a Ripley.
    Fs is cushy but unnecessary when compared to my setup on many trails here. All rocks at Lost Dog would need fs if I felt like a masochist and made that my daily ride. Riding the Competitive loops at McDowell the compliance of the carbon SF and its light weight make it easiest to go for multiple loops.
    The Superfly FS, I can't see any benefit to that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was looking at 2014 trek fuel ex 8's today...I think I might buy one. I sold my 2012 26er camber yesterday...

29ers Forever
    You should go with the full suspension Trek. Not only is it a good bike, but it will ride better than a hardtail, and a Specialized at that.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    I was looking at 2014 trek fuel ex 8's today...I think I might buy one. I sold my 2012 26er camber yesterday...
    Yeah the Fuel is a great bike and now have choice between 27.5 or 29er