going downhill silly fast
    +1 with Ehwik
    Sage advice

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take a Salsa ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm brand new here & trying to get to 5 posts so I can post new threads, but don't want to troll or spam, so I found this thread to be at least significant.

I'm so new to mountain biking that I've never been on a trail (yet) and just bought my first bike yesterday! (12/1/12)

I did a lot of homework before purchasing & here's what I concluded...

For a newbie, first-timer with zero experience and a $500 budget limit, my first choice might not be life-changing in importance. I rode several bikes & loved em all & didn't notice a significant difference between any of them.

I wanted a 29er with hydraulic/disk brakes, not a Wal Mart bike (I wanted a quality brand), aluminum, light frame, bought from a LBS for good support, and I wanted new, not used. Pretty easy and few requirement, right? Well, I found that hydraulic brakes under $500 on a new, quality bike were almost impossible to find with disk brakes on a 29er, so I had to ditch something to get under, or on, budget. I sacrificed the hydraulic brakes since they're widely available and easy for an owner to install later when I can afford them. I'm an aircraft mechanic so mechanical things come easy & are enjoyable to me.

I landed on the Redline D600 and bought it yesterday, 12/1/12. I've been around the block a few times and my 11 year old daughter's been around the block about twice as many times as daddy! She is in love so I might consider a Mtn bike (more her size, mine's 17") Christmas present for her! Father-daughter learning this together sounds like a blast to me!

So, it was $580, has 6061 T6 aluminum frame, Sr. Suntour XCM front-only suspension, Promax brakes (not hydraulic), SRAM gears, shifters, derailers, pedals, XLC handlebar, AlexRims, CStires, and you can now officially laugh at my noob description of components! As a bonus to me, you could respond with a brief on how to better describe my bike & components if ya want!

I'm eager & passionate about learning to ride & getting on the trail here in Waco, Texas! Cameron Park Trails are one of, some say THE, top-rated mountain bik trails in the great state of Texas.

O.K, I'll kill the too-long introduction post/reply. You'll hear more from me soon, & from lurking recently I'm excited to be with a wonderful group of passionate folk in love with riding!

JesusRides29ers

Congrats on your new bike JR29!

I think you'll find this to be an excellent activity for daddy/daughter. I encourage you to check out your local club. Mine not only helps maintain the local trails but also has classes and group events for riders of all levels. the very very modest annual dues is really a bargain.

About your bike..no worries. Mountain biking has become a truly open and non-snob society. We may deeply lust after someone's high-grade new gear...but it's a real live and let ride group of people. Sounds like you did the research and then got the best bike your budget.

The only requirement is that you wear helmets, be courteous of all riders, keep your gear in good order and don't needlessly exceed yours or your equipment's capabilities.

Welcome! Now...get out there!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by KBuc View Post
    Congrats on your new bike JR29!

I think you'll find this to be an excellent activity for daddy/daughter. I encourage you to check out your local club. Mine not only helps maintain the local trails but also has classes and group events for riders of all levels. the very very modest annual dues is really a bargain.

About your bike..no worries. Mountain biking has become a truly open and non-snob society. We may deeply lust after someone's high-grade new gear...but it's a real live and let ride group of people. Sounds like you did the research and then got the best bike your budget.

The only requirement is that you wear helmets, be courteous of all riders, keep your gear in good order and don't needlessly exceed yours or your equipment's capabilities.

Welcome! Now...get out there!
    everything he said... especially the helmet, and I'll add "GLASSES!!" many people don't bother but I've had my eye balls saved on more than one occasion by a pair, your eye balls are a good bit softer material than your noggin and just as important!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Good catch! Glasses for sure

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by KBuc View Post
    Good catch! Glasses for sure
    yup.. here's an example... this was just cruising down a regular trail I ride every day.. hit just wrong and did a superman ending in a face planted on a large smooth-ish rock, then slid on to gravel... (nasty stuff, think natural occurring process stone like stuff, kinda like mini lava rocks in your grill))
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help selecting first 29er-glasses.jpg  

Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I can't speak to the ride of the bikes you've ridden or checked out at your LBS but I can tell you, the Airborne is worth serious consideration. On their site they have a small comparison chart. I have test ridden a New Goblin and am just waiting for the Goblin XO to hit before i really decide which way I'm gonna go. I don't own a 29er but am looking to purchase sometime before spring. Have ridden 26er HT's for close to 20yrs. Anyway, I'm not employed by Airborne in anyway but I will tell you in the couple of interactions I've had with Jeremy and Eric, they are top notch. Granted, there's no LBS support but a little mechanical ability will help you get your bike put together when it arrives. Check them out on MTBR in the manufacturer's section or on their website. My .02

Keith

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hi guys i'm anton and i'm from manila, philippines. i just started to enjoy bicycles this year. bought tandem to ride with the kids and then a mongoose 29er. i plan to get a better bike next time so i did a bit of research and ended up liking a few 29ers. i am not that strong in biking so i would like to get a bike that would be light and easier to ride on ascents. the mongoose 29er i have is very heavy and really hard tp ride specially on uphill climbs. anyways, i would like to get your advise or feedback on the new titus rockstar 29 and niner jet 9 rdo carbon and what is better. thanks a lot in advance

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    yup.. here's an example... this was just cruising down a regular trail I ride every day.. hit just wrong and did a superman ending in a face planted on a large smooth-ish rock, then slid on to gravel... (nasty stuff, think natural occurring process stone like stuff, kinda like mini lava rocks in your grill))
    Whoa, WHOA, WHOA!, As a structures/sheetmetal aircraft mechanic I wear mandatory safety glesses daily and deal with pneumatic tools that spin at 25,000 RPM and over, slinging all types of corrosion, metal, and foreign objects in my face and everywhere else, but I've NEVER seen anything like THIS at work!

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for instantly making a believer out of me regarding safety glasses! Wow! I'd never thought anything like THIS could happen. I'll wear em on the trail, but probably not on the street unless you professionals tell me otherwise.

So, my question is now; "Should I wear helmet and glasses on the street/" By "street" I mean the smooth, residential, low-car-content street just for a short pleasure ride? The trail is without question a place for helmet & glasses now, but what about the street?

Are there 2 camps among bikers here? Camp 1.)Those who believe in helmets without question in most, or all, circumstances, and, Camp 2.) Those who believe helmets are an option that makes riding uncomfortable and (especially in a central Texas Summer) hot, or are a silly option since head injuries while biking (non-motor-driven bikes) are perhaps statistically low?

Thanks for your input, and forgive me for changing the subject within the thread, I can't post new yet until I reach that "magic" number of 5 replies to other posts! I won't post off-topic anymore within this thread.

JesusRidesa29er

Hi Anton..

Just wanted to make sure you saw the MTBR reviews on those bikes.

Titus Rockstar 29er 29er Full Suspension Reviews

Niner Bikes Jet 9 29er Full Suspension Reviews

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I like my rockhopper

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    helmets AND glasses should be worn at all times... road is actually more important that trail (well not really but..) Asphalt is friggin hard and rough stuff.., any mechanical failure and you're be sorry.. there is actually more deaths on road bikes every yr than there is on the trails.. more injuries on trails, but less deaths...

but if you think those glasses scare ya.. here's my face after that crash... WARNING!! it's pretty gruesome

Trail face.... photo by Thom_Lamourine | Photobucket
    Last edited by thomllama; 12-02-2012 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Still shopping for first 29er

My LBS has a '12 Cobia and the '13 Mamba for about the same price. I haven't ridden either and I know that might make my mind up, but which would be the better buy/bike between the two?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks a lot KBuc!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anton111 View Post
    hi guys i'm anton and i'm from manila, philippines. i just started to enjoy bicycles this year. bought tandem to ride with the kids and then a mongoose 29er. i plan to get a better bike next time so i did a bit of research and ended up liking a few 29ers. i am not that strong in biking so i would like to get a bike that would be light and easier to ride on ascents. the mongoose 29er i have is very heavy and really hard tp ride specially on uphill climbs. anyways, i would like to get your advise or feedback on the new titus rockstar 29 and niner jet 9 rdo carbon and what is better. thanks a lot in advance
    So, a good question for this reply, which surely has been dealt with elsewhere and perhaps beat to death is...are there ANY fair to good quality bikes at Wal Mart? Are any of the brands they offer quality at ALL?

A step up from Wal Mart is Academy and Sports Authority. In Waco they offer Diamondback and low-end Treks. ("Low-end" is something I read from other bikers, that most Diamond Backs are medium quality at best, and the Treks at those 2 stores are all lower-end, thus lower-priced Treks). Don't take my noob word for it, though, do the homework yourself as I did.

JesusRidesa29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    [QUOTE=thomllama;9929139] (First part snipped)
    but if you think those glasses scare ya.. here's my face after that crash... WARNING!! it's pretty gruesome

Well, silly, I can't post links until 10 posts. So, if ya wanna see his messed-up face, follow the Photobucket link above.

Wow, oh, WOW! O.K. Helmet & glasses for riding...always and for all time! Well, perhaps the shortest, slowest, scenic pleasure ride exclued. Thank you so much for showing your ugly face(just after the face-plant ugly, I mean!).

JesusRides29ers

Quote Originally Posted by dmensi View Post
    My LBS has a '12 Cobia and the '13 Mamba for about the same price. I haven't ridden either and I know that might make my mind up, but which would be the better buy/bike between the two?
    The 2012 Cobia has significant better components and would be an upgrade from the 2013 Mamba.

I own a 2013 Mamba and got a great deal.

You will not regret either purchase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The other manufacturers also have similar models if your not into giants.

mtbr member
    LB412
    mtbr member

Rep:
    user gallery

Any thoughts on wheel size for women? My wife is 5'4" and very athletic. Planning surprise her with a bike. Considering the Giant Anthem 29 and the Cannondale Lexi 26. Both are 2012s and on sale.

Maya333
    Hi LB412, since You Mean Your Wife is quite strong, the 29" bike would be the choice in my opinion (29"rs are meant to need a bit stronger legs, since the momentum is higher, than it is in the case of the 26"). BUT, it may be not so good, to surprise one with a bike, as it MUST be test - rode by the future user first. It isn't enough to apply some sizing charts of the manufacturer etc., as they can only help to determine, what sizes could suit, but the individual feel of the bars width, of the frame height and length, of the distance to the saddle (which also may be adjusted to some extent) of the brake and derailleurs' levers etc cannot be foreseen. Finally - Ladies pay huge attention to the looks (of a bike too); it may happen, that the color You choose simply doesn't suit Your Wife or she may not like the looks of a 29" (no matter what the frame's geometry, the 29" always seem to look a bit awkward, when compared to the classical 26"). This is of course only my opinion, based on my experience with Women (my Wife's priority about a dream bike is a basket in front, so she can do some shopping or take some food for our Daughter for a ride...). Hope to have helped at least a little, good luck!

Maya333
    [QUOTE=JesusRides29ers;9929366]
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    (First part snipped)

Well, silly, I can't post links until 10 posts. So, if ya wanna see his messed-up face, follow the Photobucket link above.

Wow, oh, WOW! O.K. Helmet & glasses for riding...always and for all time! Well, perhaps the shortest, slowest, scenic pleasure ride exclued. Thank you so much for showing your ugly face(just after the face-plant ugly, I mean!).

JesusRides29ers
    Hi Jesus, I never thought I would be able to speak (ok, write) You personally )
    Ok, to the point: with Your name You don't need to bother with glasses or helmets
    Os, sorry for the unwise jokes. To the POINT:
    Someone already wrote, maybe in a different thread, that once You start playing with bikes, You WILL become an addict, no matter if You get it professional or not. Thinking so You can invest a bit more in Your machine at the start already, because in no time You will wish to upgrade some things, which will cost more that way. On the other side You can stick to the plan and buy Your first choice. Then, after You [I]know/I] the bike, try another, better one (with better brakes, derailleurs etc.) on the same trails and see, if it makes any difference to YOU, since that is the thing, that would make it desired by You, or not. Maybe the way You ride doesn't make any use of upgraded components, so a 500 or 580 bucks bike is right the thing for You. (I know a lawyer, who has a scott bike worth about 10.000 $ and rides it about 200 miles A YEAR, bit keeps it upgraded all the time. He is a bit fat, rather weak guy, who can afford such a bike and enjoys it, but does he make a use of it? - well, in a way yes, but not really). Happy trails!

Filip hit it on the head..

Recommend the 29er because of the ride

Suggest buying ONLY if they have a solid return policy. Your wife can then shop around/test ride bikes to make sure she has the best fit for her. ..and you still get the "wow" factor of showing her a bike with a bow..

Maya333
    (KBuc - my doggy asked me to greet Yours. No idea why, any clue?)

Filip - one does not question the ways of our dogs. I'll pass along the hello..but doubt it gets received....plain English totally escapes her.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast