Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd go with the better fork as it's much cheaper to upgrade the deraileurs. The X5/Deore are very capable.

going downhill silly fast
    Agree with Breed. If all things are about equal, it would be good to give your money to the better LBS.

Face it, you're likely to return there quite often in the first couple years

If its down to such component toss-up to pick, you really should rent each one for a week and see how they are to live with... Wish I coulda done with a girlfriend or two..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The LBS has a 2012 and a 2013 Cobia. The 2013 is only $20 more. The main differences I can see in the spec list are:

Hayes brakes on the 2012 vs Avid on the 2013
    X5 front derailleur on the 2012 vs Shimano Deore on the 2013

Fork appears to be equal. On a side note I like the paint scheme on the 2012 (red) considerably more than the 2013 paint scheme. Should I get the 2013 strictly on components, or are they close enough it doesn't matter?

That red is pretty awesome

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    I'd go with the better fork as it's much cheaper to upgrade the deraileurs. The X5/Deore are very capable.
    +1

Make sure you test ride both as the sizing and geo can vary company to company. Trek's G2 geometry is great for quick handling and slow speed steering, but the fit is not for everyone. However, if it works for you, the Cobia appears to be the better long-term value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got a '12 Cobia and it's fantastic. I wouldn't worry about the F/R derailleurs as you'll hardly use the front to be honest. The air fork is major plus for the Cobia. I will say that the Hayes brakes are not the best in the world, but I don't think the Elixir 1 will be much better. I'd go with a '12 cobia because the red looks fantastic (except who puts a white saddle on a mountain bike?). You can get a set of F/R Shimano SLX brakes for around $200 if you really hate the Hayes down the road. I ended up swapping mine after snapping a lever during a crash.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I would go with TREK, period! I just think best value, best geometry, and certainly best (and least hassle warranty)---at least from what I have read (and experienced) since MTB'ing for the last 3.5 years.

--that is just my 2 cents (and i have test ridden a lot of bikes also)---but know first hand that with TREK you could end up getting a MUCH BETTER bike than the one you started with (involving a warranty situation.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    I would go with TREK, period! I just think best value, best geometry, and certainly best (and least hassle warranty)---at least from what I have read (and experienced) since MTB'ing for the last 3.5 years.

--that is just my 2 cents (and i have test ridden a lot of bikes also)---but know first hand that with TREK you could end up getting a MUCH BETTER bike than the one you started with (involving a warranty situation.)
    It seems to me that Trek's (or any builder's) warranty would only cover their proprietary hardware, which typically just the frame. They'd probably tell ya to talk to Rockshox, Shimano, SRAM, etc over defective components. Y/N?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you like the look of the '12 better, get the '12. That's what I did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I know you said you've narrowed your choice down to 2 bike, bit have you given the airborne new goblin a look? I'm in the same boat as you trying to pick out my 1st 29er and I'm really looking at the new goblin, rockhopper, and other various bikes in that price range.

29ers Forever
    It would be better to go for a bike that has retailers in your area. Trek IS one of the best MTB brands around, now having Gary Fisher in their crew.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by breed007 View Post
    You'd have to look this up, but my gut tells me it's going to be cheaper to replace the derailers than the fork in the event you're displeased with either component. I'd would just ride both and, if you don't have a clear favorite, buy from the bike shop you like better. Buying from a good bike shop is vastly underrated.
    It is absolutely cheaper to replace the deraileurs - you can get into a GREAT rear derailer for $100 to $ 150. You can upgrade to a really good one starting at $50. You won't get a whiff of a good fork untill you get close to $300.

Good call man!

Maya333
    Hi; I was in Your situation just about 3 months ago: I use to bike occasionally since I was about 4 too (I guess most people start in that age) and mostly owned some kind of an MTB, but the time has come finally to get something decent (before I'm an old prick sipping warm tea in front of the tv - which I have nothing against to actually ). I didn't have much idea what to look for, but did enough research to find out the 29'' become more and more common. Quite accidentally I found a test - ride - scott scale 29 elite and my jaw rammed on the floor, as it was a 600 Euros (about 800 $) cheaper, than a new one, with no signs of wear, with full warranty etc. Ok, to the point: I have a scott scale elite 29'', my bro has a specialized (sorry, don't know the exact model) and my wife's bro has got a giant talon. They are not similar enough to each other for a comparison to make sense, but conclusions:
    - all 3 manufacturers have great machines in their inventory
    - 29'' rule absolutely for the kind of trails You plan to ride
    - as some already mentioned: put 200 or 300 bucks more into it, or in a few months You will have to put 500 or 600 instead
    - choosing between somehow similar models is never easy: it's a must to try them; what seems to be the best for some, might be crap to You

SIZING: I may not be discovering America hereby, but: bigger wheels don't mean bigger bike! My former 26'' "spreads" me more than the scott 29". And the manufacturers' sizing charts can help, but WILL NOT substitute personally trying the bike out. Sometimes it may be the question of moving the saddle an inch to front or back to make You feel great with the bike, or make You discard it right away.

Hope to have helped a bit, happy biking!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm a newb too, looking for help/advice. I'm coming from road/tri, been lurking here for awhile.

Price range: $800-1200.00
    Size: 5'10", 35" inseam using the Competitive Cyclist measurement guide

I test rode a Performance Bikes GT Karakorum. Medium was about the right size. Felt heavy, but maneuverable. Wasn't blown away.
    performancebikeDOTcom/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1115170_-1___1745022

So I'm looking for bang/buck and I don't mind buying online. Based on the lurking in this forum I'm considering:

Sette-Razzo $1000
    X7, Recon Silver Solo Air TK
    pricepointDOTcom/detail/23436-018_SETR61-277-Bikes--/Sette-Razzo-X7-10-Speed-29er-Alloy-Mountain-Bike.htm

BD Gravity 29point5 $1100
    X9, Reba RL
    bikesdirectDOTcom/products/gravity/29point5.htm

Airborne NEW Goblin $1200
    X7, Reba RL
    airbornebicyclesDOTcom/products/113-new-goblin.aspx

Is there anything else in this price range worth considering (either mail order or local)?

I also see "Rosetti" in ebay (but not much mention of them in this forum?)
    Rossetti Agatha 29er $1300
    X7, RST Omega Lock
    ebayDOTcom/itm/Rossetti-Agatha-29er-Mountain-Bike-Hardtail-Sram-X7-2x10-Blue-17in-Medium-2013-/251192295515?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3a7c3a405b

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rode the Cobia today. Not bad. Asked other shop what they had in that range, and they showed me a Specialized Carve 29er Comp. Retails for $1600, guy said he could do $1300. Hard to justify spending $250 more than the Trek. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispresley2k View Post
    I'm a newb too, looking for help/advice. I'm coming from road/tri, been lurking here for awhile.

Price range: $800-1200.00
    Size: 5'10", 35" inseam using the Competitive Cyclist measurement guide

I test rode a Performance Bikes GT Karakorum. Medium was about the right size. Felt heavy, but maneuverable. Wasn't blown away.
    performancebikeDOTcom/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1115170_-1___1745022

So I'm looking for bang/buck and I don't mind buying online. Based on the lurking in this forum I'm considering:

Sette-Razzo $1000
    X7, Recon Silver Solo Air TK
    pricepointDOTcom/detail/23436-018_SETR61-277-Bikes--/Sette-Razzo-X7-10-Speed-29er-Alloy-Mountain-Bike.htm

BD Gravity 29point5 $1100
    X9, Reba RL
    bikesdirectDOTcom/products/gravity/29point5.htm

Airborne NEW Goblin $1200
    X7, Reba RL
    airbornebicyclesDOTcom/products/113-new-goblin.aspx

Is there anything else in this price range worth considering (either mail order or local)?

I also see "Rosetti" in ebay (but not much mention of them in this forum?)
    Rossetti Agatha 29er $1300
    X7, RST Omega Lock
    ebayDOTcom/itm/Rossetti-Agatha-29er-Mountain-Bike-Hardtail-Sram-X7-2x10-Blue-17in-Medium-2013-/251192295515?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3a7c3a405b
    Never heard of sette or BD but those seem like good prices for the specs you listed. Now my choices have increases even more. I have a similar price range too. Now to read some more. Hear anything bad about the sette and BD frames?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What is the better deal: 2012 Trek Cobia for $1050 or Specialized Carve Comp 29 for $1300? LBS are trying to hook me up. Thanks!
    Last edited by jferguso; 12-01-2012 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    See above.

What year for Carve Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Enjoying following this thread. I am looking at buying a 2013 Trek Mamba or Cobia vs. a Specialized Rockhopper Comp, then again an opportunity has arisen to buy a 2011Scott Scale comp used or a 2012 Trek Gary Fisher X-Cal. I haven't been able to ride any of them yet since they are not all in one place and I have been busy. But hope to get to soon and make my decision.

Hey regards to the Trek If your budget can handle another $200 the Cobia is the same frame as the mamba but with better components.

Personally I was just getting into the sport so I put a firm thousand dollars as my limit... Which held me to the mamba. I assume that if I began to enjoy it-which I really a.m.-then within a year I would need a more significant upgrade Anyway

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I test rode a 2013 Mamba and a 2012 Coba this weekend. Both felt better to me than the GT Karakoram 2.0. Cobia seems like a better deal, around $100 more than the Mamba.

LBS also has a 2012 X-caliber for $1300 (~$300 more than Cobia). Haven't' test ridden it yet, but I think it'd be hard to upgrade the Cobia to same spec for $300.

It's all about feel
    I think good advice is always get the absolute best Bike your budget Can Afford.
    If you're new to the sport or just returning like I am, Keep in mind the cost of gear. I spent another $3-$500 on clipless pedals, shoes, clothes, Camelback and tools

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Honestly, at some point you have to just pick a bike and ride. There will always be a better deal for a few hundred more. The big thing is that you may not notice te difference between a Cobia and an X-Cal, for instance (I know trek bikes so I'm just using these as examples). Pick the bike you like - color, cost, LBS, whatever - and then just ride. It may be that within a year you want a full suspension or a single speed or something else. Any of the bikes you list are amazing bikes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast