mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need help picking out a hard tail bike for around $600!!!

I am a noob to biking and could use some help picking out a decent mountain bike. I want a 29er hardtail and id like to find one for around $600 maybe a little more if yall think its worth it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

slow
    Keep an eye on your local craigslist. I picked up a 2008 FELT Nine comp with upgrades for $500 from a guy who was getting a new bike.

mtbr member
    I purchased a Trek Marlin 29er last February and could not be happier. I mostly ride XC and use the bike to commute to work, and have had a great time with this bike. It cost about $650 from my LBS, and was a great step up from the Wahoo (I bought my wife one as her first MTB, same frame but cheaper components, for around $550.) But if you're going to customize parts, I'd buy the Wahoo.

Downsides of the Marlin are:
    -weight (stock components are a bit heavy for XC)
    -Brakes are noisy
    -pedals are not the best

I put on CrankBros candy pedals, and will slowly be customizing brakes, tires, fork, etc. But overall, bang/buck, I couldn't be happier with this bike. Rides great to and from work, and when I decide to go all weekend warrior, it holds up to the abuse.

Just my humble opinion though... Good Luck, and welcome to your new obsession!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Might want to check out the Airborne Guardian. Great bike for the price. Fits in your budget too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah ill check those out! Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Any luck with the search. I've noticed some local bike shops are having good deals on 2012 29er bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I bought a 2013 Novara Ponderosa from REI a few weeks ago for $800. Great setup for the $$$. Not sure if the 20% off is still going on though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I'm thinking I'll go with the Guardian now but I haven't decided yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Last night we won a 2012 Marin Palisades Trail 29er for $650 off ebay. There were more 29ers around that price range on there. Check there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh nice I'll check that out

mtbr member
    Pushing the budget but someone else posted this the other day, I nearly bought one just for the kit. If it fits you, be a great deal and you could always swap parts to a cooler frameset. Looks like the small is actually more of a 17 inch/medium.

2011 Fuji Tahoe 29er 1.0 Hardtail Mountain Bike - Fuji - Brands - Bikewagon

Resident Gear Head
    I went to my local bike shop and got on a Trek Marlin. It felt nice but was $680. For the same price I picked up an Airborne Guardian which has better hydraulic brakes, a better fork, better gears and better shifters. Everything I saw at my local bike shops in that 600-700$ range were very low end which is why I went with the Airborne Guardian.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbhanes View Post
    I am a noob to biking and could use some help picking out a decent mountain bike. I want a 29er hardtail and id like to find one for around $600 maybe a little more if yall think its worth it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

I haven't read all the posts but pinkbike is a good resource too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Keep an eye on your local craigslist. I picked up a 2008 FELT Nine comp with upgrades for $500 from a guy who was getting a new bike.
    second that, CL can have some very good opportunities sometimes..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    I went to my local bike shop and got on a Trek Marlin. It felt nice but was $680. For the same price I picked up an Airborne Guardian which has better hydraulic brakes, a better fork, better gears and better shifters. Everything I saw at my local bike shops in that 600-700$ range were very low end which is why I went with the Airborne Guardian.
    Exactly the direction I'm going. The value at that price is very hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah the Guardian is the main one I'm looking at now

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    ^^^This. You'll get a better value on a used bike than you will new. a new $600 mountain bike isn't very good on the trails, they usually have garbage forks and groupos. You'd be amazed what you'll find on craigslist.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been searching Craigslist and haven't been able to find anything so far. I'd go that to route if I find one tho.

mtbr member
    Aside from the Guardian, which is closer to an $800 bike than $600 if purchased in a shop, I'm considering the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc but I hate Suntour forks so I'm leaning towards my other choice.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Spend more money now. If you don't, you'll regret it later, as well as spend a lot more...
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Resident Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
    Aside from the Guardian, which is closer to an $800 bike than $600 if purchased in a shop, I'm considering the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc but I hate Suntour forks so I'm leaning towards my other choice.
    Actually the Guardian is closer to $700 after shipping and pedals, not $800. I was also looking at the Hardrock Sport Disc 29 but the Guardian still has better specs than the HardRock and it's still cheaper, but I agree the HardRock Disc is a good choice for pretty much the same price. If I had to have bought local I would have gotten a HardRock
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Right, the $75 shipping but point is, it's a good value. Pedals I always leave out since I already have good ones but obviously others may need to buy. Of course you also have sales tax to think about buying from a shop which is a ton here in Myrtle Beach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I appreciate all the help. I'm still thinking the Guardian at this point