mtbr member
    May 2018

Need help picking a new/used short/mid range travel 29er

Iím looking to get back into mountain biking. I switched to road a few years back but Iíve moved states and now have many trails close by. I am looking for a short/mid travel 29er. I will be riding tight, fast, flowy trails with some rock gardens and features mixed in. Iím not going to race so weight isnít a huge factor but donít want to climb a tank either. Iím 6í3Ē w/34Ē inseam so will need an XL frame. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Looking to spend $2k or less on used bike.

Preferences:
    -130 minimum up front
    -poppy/can get rowdy
    -dropper post

WillWorkForTrail
    Iíd watch craigslist and pinkbike and see what you can find. Just remember a used fs bike may need $500 worth of parts and service to be worth a crap, depending on the owner. You might also check your local shop if you have one. They might have something, or know someone selling a bike you might be interested in. If buying used locally, see if your shop would be willing to check out the condition of a bike youíre looking at before you buy it. A $2k used fs bike with suspension that need rebuilding, a roached drive train, and sticky pivot bearings is no bargain.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Iíd watch craigslist and pinkbike and see what you can find. Just remember a used fs bike may need $500 worth of parts and service to be worth a crap, depending on the owner. You might also check your local shop if you have one. They might have something, or know someone selling a bike you might be interested in. If buying used locally, see if your shop would be willing to check out the condition of a bike youíre looking at before you buy it. A $2k used fs bike with suspension that need rebuilding, a roached drive train, and sticky pivot bearings is no bargain.
    I appreciate the insight. It seems $3k is the sweet spot for a decent used bike but i canít swing that right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    At the 3k price point you can get some pretty nice new bikes, choose Cotharyus was making was that if you "spend" 2k on a used FS bike you may not be done spending money before having a bike that rides correctly?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    At the 3k price point you can get some pretty nice new bikes, choose Cotharyus was making was that if you "spend" 2k on a used FS bike you may not be done spending money before having a bike that rides correctly?
    Correct. I see his point and may have to put some money into a bike. Iím sure there is decent deals out there for $1500-2k that may require minor work. Iím just not going to ride it enough to justify $3k+

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iíve found a 2015 niner rip 9 w/140 pike and a 2016 Kona process 111 in my price range. Thoughts on either? I have shops locally that sell both brands.

mtbr member
    Save some more $ and spend 3k to 4k on a used bike. You're gonna be glad you did.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Save some more $ and spend 3k to 4k on a used bike. You're gonna be glad you did.
    I would buy brand new if I was going to spend that much. I canít justify spending more than $2k since itís not my main hobby.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    YT Jeffsy AL is 2300 bucks new

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    YT Jeffsy AL is 2300 bucks new
    I looked into them but they arenít available until 9/18.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thoughts on transition smuggler?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    It seems it has come down to these 5 bikes:

Transition Smuggler
    Kona Process 111
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Evil Following
    Tallboy v3 (demoíd before)

I am upping my budget from $2k to get into a better bike after talking to a lot of friends and reading advice on here. Would like to spend $3k max.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert2083 View Post
    I will be riding tight, fast, flowy trails with some rock gardens... Iím 6í3Ē w/34Ē inseam.

Preferences:
    -130 minimum up front
    -poppy/can get rowdy
    -dropper post
    "Poppy/ can get rowdy" - sounds like a Canfield Riot. I'm going to sell mine soon but it is a large and I'm pretty sure you would need an XL. If you can get a ride on a Riot (now called Toir) give one a try because the super sort chainstays gives it the ability to handle very tight, twisty trails with ease.
    Last edited by noosa2; 3 Days Ago at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thoughts on transition smuggler?
    Both the Smuggler and the Kona Process 111 are awesome bikes. I've spent lots of time on both. You won't regret either.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Both the Smuggler and the Kona Process 111 are awesome bikes. I've spent lots of time on both. You won't regret either.
    Did you favor one over the other?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Did you favor one over the other?
    The Process, in my opinion, felt better in narrow, tight singletrack (New England style). The Smuggler felt a tiny bit "bigger" on those types of trails. But, was a beast (good) when the speed increased or the trails got steeper. But really, I dig them both and can't say I prefer one over the other....they're just a little different. But generally speaking, they're very similar.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    The Process, in my opinion, felt better in narrow, tight singletrack (New England style). The Smuggler felt a tiny bit "bigger" on those types of trails. But, was a beast (good) when the speed increased or the trails got steeper. But really, I dig them both and can't say I prefer one over the other....they're just a little different. But generally speaking, they're very similar.
    Thank you for the feedback!

Iím trying to decide between 3 bikes now:

Kona process 111
    Transition smuggler
    Evil following