mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need help on new tires

Hey everyone,
    I am sure this question has been asked several times but I am going to ask it again. I am wanting to replace my stock tire (Specialized Fast Trak Sport, 29"x2.0", wire bead, 40TPI) I don't have a very big budget I would like to stay under $30. I ride singletrack trails but also some road when I can't make it out. Most of what I ride is rocky and lots of tree roots.

Should I stick with the same tire size or get a wider one also?

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Root Master
    Maybe look at the Scwalbe performance line. Nobby Nic in the front and Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph in the rear.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    May 2012

Need help on new tires

+1 on the Nobby Nic. I've run the performance model Nic (2.25) as both a front and rear tire. I ride a fair mix of trail types (smooth hardpack, fairly rocky Midwest trails and semi root-filled track) and the Nic has been a solid performer.

Used it as a front for about 3 months and really liked the grip & roll. Switched it to the rear when I bought my Geax Gato 2.35 for the front. Wasn't sold on the Nic as a rear tire at first but it's grown on me. Rolls decently enough but I'm getting grip on rock/root climbs that I wasn't getting on the bike's stock tire (Maxxis Aspen 2.1).

Was a little worried about settling for the Performance model (because of the rocky trails I frequent) but it's held up well for nearly 5 months now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nice of you guys to recommend a 70 dollar tire when he said 30. you could try the rapid rob (wire bead) if you want a cheap schwalbe. i had one and it was great but wore out faster than any tire i have ever had.

for that priuce your generally gonna have to hunt around for internet sale tires which are usually on sale for a reason. they won't be the newest lightest or bestest tires but they may be just fine.

here is one i was thinking about for my next one:
    Duro Gremlin 29" Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

btw, while looking this one up i saw they had nobby nicks on sale for 40 bucks. that is a pretty sick deal.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Smile

Wasn't trying to totally blow up the OP's budget... I got my Performance Nics for right around $40 shipped (which I know is more than was specified) but I figured for about $10 more that's a damn fine tire for the money. I'm kind of a cheap SOB myself, so I'm all about getting the best bang for the buck. But I also want a tire that is a solid performer and will last a reasonable amount of time. Everyone determines their own budget... just throwing a reasonably (IMHO) priced option.

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    nice of you guys to recommend a 70 dollar tire when he said 30. you could try the rapid rob (wire bead) if you want a cheap schwalbe. i had one and it was great but wore out faster than any tire i have ever had.

for that priuce your generally gonna have to hunt around for internet sale tires which are usually on sale for a reason. they won't be the newest lightest or bestest tires but they may be just fine.

here is one i was thinking about for my next one:
    Duro Gremlin 29" Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

btw, while looking this one up i saw they had nobby nicks on sale for 40 bucks. that is a pretty sick deal.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    You are right to recommend sales as one can often meet his price point.

One way to look at it. A tank of gas for $50-55 will let you go about 300 miles. How often do we fill up? A bike tire might cost the same as a tank of gas, but we can usually go at least the same amount of miles (and usually a heck of a lot more) as a tank of gas.

Root Master
    Yeah, I only recommended the performance Schwalbe because they can be had for close to that price on sale.

I'm sure the Continental OE version of their tires could be found for around that price too but I'd probably opt for the Schwalbes.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the information! My budget could flex a little once I decide to upgrade my tires. I have done research on the tires mentioned and all seem pretty good.

I understand that I probably would be better off getting a little better tire so that it last longer but as of now my budget is pretty low (if the wife will let me have one at all) lol. She thought it was rediculous to spend almost $600 on a mountain bike in the first place but I don't think she realizes how expensive my new favorite hobby will really get!

I am thinking about just running these tires for the summer until I can afford something a little better but I will just have to see how they perform after my skills improve.

So tire width size, what do most people recommend for that? Stay at what i have now or go wider?

Thanks everyone for the input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Maxxis Ardent....can't go wrong

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I run Ardent 2.25 up front and my stock Kenda small block 8 in the back....i only ride desert trails and that tire handles it no problem. Bought 2 of them during xmas time

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Nobby Nic performance is working for me as a front. Mounted backwards the shoulder knobs are angled for bite, the center row is now angled to roll better. Rocket Ron and RaRa. also come in performance at the same price.