mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need help choosing!

I'm pretty much a newbie and doing demos for Santa Cruz in Sedona a month ago has totally spoiled me that I fell in love with the Superlight 29er when I asked for "just give me whatever the moron bike is" and that's what he handed me. My girls fell in love w the Nomad and Blur but seeing that we are all not made of money, my 1 daughter has since bought a brand new Santa Cruz Butcher which she loves and my other daughter bought a Stumpjumper which hasn't been delivered yet.

I've been riding a hardtail for a year and ready to move up to a 29er FS. I'm not brave, don't go fast, minimal drops, lousy at climbing.
    I've done my homework riding Cannondale Scalpel, Kona Hei Hei, KHS something 650b (not a contender), Superlight 29er, Giant Trance 29er, GT 9'er Elite, Specialized Camber 29er, and now a Diamondback Sortie 1.0.

Narrowing the field down to two. I can buy a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er 2012 R KIT ridden for 2 seasons (Rockshox Reba/Fox Float RL)....vs.....Diamondback Sortie 1.0 2013 (Fox Float32 CTD/Fox Float CTD)

These are roughly the same price. Diamondback would be brand new from store w warranty and lifetime customer satisfaction.
    Santa Cruz would be my dream bike but no guarantees on anything.

What do i do? Thanks!

Mish

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I Ride a Giant XTC 29er Composite HT. But before that, i rode a Nomad and a blur. LOVE THEM BOTH, but i would take a Santa Cruz over a diamond back any day. My first 3 bikes were used Santa Cruz's and they did great! Dont be in a rush to buy though. get a good deal. Also check out the Santa Cruz TallBoy.