mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Need a Fork / Cannondale SL2 HT

Hey Guys,

I have owned my Cannondale SL2 for about 2 years now. I just got serious about riding back in the Spring and I'm now riding 3-4 times a week. I have picked up a lot of speed and it now seems the bike is beating me to death. The front fork is the RST deuce air. I never realized how stiff and harsh it was until this evening when I rode a friends FS 26" bike. His fork was the Reba (from which he said was on the low end for cost) and was 120mm I believe. It was very plush for the first inch or so then progressively got firm. I know the Reba is supposedly a "low end" fork, but it was so much better than my RST. I was planning to go to a FS 29er in the near future, but I think I may try to upgrade my fork first. My friend took a spin on my 29er and couldn't believe how fast it was. He just didn't get the full effect of riding on the trails and the harshness of the RST. The big question: What fork will work with my SL2? I have the 1.5 head tube, but that is about all I know and I really don't have a clue as to what I should look for as a replacement. Any suggestions? I want to get the most bang for the buck...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Reba is a nice fork! I run the Reba RL dual air on my Cannondale hardtail, its a nice fork to me!
    I converted with a cane creek 40 headset with the Reba and new Easton 70 stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven7 View Post
    The Reba is a nice shock! I run the Reba RL dual air on my Cannondale hardtail, its a nice shock to me!
    +1 for the Reba, definitely one of the best I tried..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh, I found a great deal on it when i bought it from blueskycycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Better to buy new probably than take a risk on ebay? I wouldn't have a problem with a new "take off".

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    +1 for the Reba, definitely one of the best I tried..
    Thats my problem...when I buy one I'm not sure what to get and have no idea if I will need to convert anything...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Reba is a nice fork! I run the Reba RL dual air on my Cannondale hardtail, its a nice fork to me!
    Raven...So I would have to convert to a different headset and stem if I went with the Reba? You said you have the Reba RL dual air.. Are there different versions of the Reba for a 29er?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Canes View Post
    Raven...So I would have to convert to a different headset and stem if I went with the Reba? You said you have the Reba RL dual air.. Are there different versions of the Reba for a 29er?
    I had the headshock so Cane creek has the conversion to fit the oversize head tube. So yes I needed new stem headset and fork. Mine is a 26" but that doesnt matter I did get the 1 1/8 not the tapered one
    Im not sure on your bike if you need the tapered fork or not. Ask your bike shop or maybe someone here has done it with your bike. I dont think the dual air is available
    now or not.

Here is examples
    Tapered
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air 29er Tapered Fork
    Non tapered
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air 29er Fork 2012

Stem for 1 1/8
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Easton EA70 Mountain Stem

Headset with cups
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Cane Creek 40 Series EC34 External Cup Headset
    Now I dont remember which headset I got casue the bike shop ordered that I just got the stem and fork and brought it to the shop so they could do the conversion!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had the headshock so Cane creek has the conversion to fit the oversize head tube. So yes I needed new stem headset and fork. Mine is a 26" but that doesnt matter I did get the 1 1/8 not the tapered one
    Im not sure on your bike if you need the tapered fork or not. Ask your bike shop or maybe someone here has done it with your bike. I dont think the dual air is available
    now or not.

Here is examples
    Tapered
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air 29er Tapered Fork
    None tapered
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air 29er Fork 2012

Stem for 1 1/8
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Easton EA70 Mountain Stem
    Thanks for the links and info! I appreciate it. I am gonna check with my LBS. Most typically want to sell the part plus installation, but I'm going to look for a good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Canes View Post
    Thanks for the links and info! I appreciate it. I am gonna check with my LBS. Most typically want to sell the part plus installation, but I'm going to look for a good deal.
    My bike shop is cool. I bought the fork and stem and brought it there. They ordered the Cane creek 40 headset because I wasnt sure exactly which to buy!
    I bought mine from blue sky cycle as in the links.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If anyone else has upgraded their Cannondale SL* fork I would like to hear what you went with and how its worked out for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by larimorebf View Post
    I run the Reba RL dual air on my Cannondale hardtail, its a nice fork to me!
    The more I look at the Reba RL i am realizing some are solo air and some are dual air. Is one better than the other? Did they go to solo air in recent designs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Solo air is filling one air valve, so filling positive and negative air spring chambers equal, simultaneously and makes it easy! I think they got away from dual air now

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Raven,

What Cannondale do you have? My SL2 has the 1.5 head tube. I haven't measured it, but I took the cap off of the headset and the it appears I have a 1.5 straight steerer tube. Is your Reba the tapered or straight 1 1/8? I contacted Cane Creek and they said I would need to give them the exact top and bottom measurements to make sure they had a headset that would work.