mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need feedback - Hard Eddie vs. Air 9 RDO

Alright folks, I know probably a dumb question but I'm on the fence between an Intense Hard Eddie and Niner Air 9 RDO. I love the look and rear drop out options of the Hard Eddie but I also dig Niner's (green especially). Yea yea I need to spend time on each but wanted to get some input from folks who may own either one and get some feedback.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I recently went thru the exercise of selecting a frame for a new build, the Intense Hard Eddie won, mainly on the drop out options - i preferred them to the EBB on the Niner.

I love the look of the Intense too, I reckon you would be happy with either - both great frames.

mtbr member
    My past experience with EBB's would steer me to the Intense as well...

SPP
    Rigid.

AOK
    mtbr member

Need feedback - Hard Eddie vs. Air 9 RDO

I don't think the Air 9 RDO has an EBB. Air 9 Carbon (non-RDO) is the one with EBB.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I don't think the Air 9 RDO has an EBB. Air 9 Carbon (non-RDO) is the one with EBB.
    What he said - RDO has a PF30.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Agreed - the AIR 9 RDO has a PF30 BB. I almost picked up an AIR 9 a few months back but the stories around here regarding creaking BB's kept me away. Regarding the AIR 9 RDO I love the green scheme but it may not be for everybody. The Hard Eddie looks amazing to me and I like the dropout options...a lot... but... I don't know what the ride feedback is so far. Is the rear end "noodly", weight bias front or rear, quality of manufacture, etc... I expect it would be awesome and I should just go for it but appreciate all of the feedback so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Have you considered the Pivot Les? Similar geo to the Intense and nice swinger dropouts for running single speed.

mtbr member
    Having had a number of 29er hts including 1 or 2 Niner products, all it took was one ride on a Hard Eddie at last years Sea Otter to convince me to sell the Scott Scale Pro I was on at that time and head to my local Intense dealer. I have found my Hard Eddie to be the best handling 29er HT I've yet to spend time on. It climbs as well if not better than any frame set Ive yet to ride and those include 2 Gary Fishers (a Paragon and a Super Fly) a Specialized S Works HT, the afore mentioned Scott Scale and two Niner products. I've been on mine for about 7 months now and it has handled all the Nor Cal I've had the nerve and fitness throw at it with no issues whatsoever.
    Last edited by reydin; 05-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    Having had a number of 29er hts including 1 or 2 Niner products, all it took was one ride on a Hard Eddie at last years Sea Otter to convince me to sell the Scott Scale Pro I was on at that time and head to my local Intense dealer. I have found my Hard Eddie to be the best handling 29er HT I've yet to spend time on. .........
    Wow! That glowing endorsement makes me very happy that I chose the Hard Eddie for my new build! I am very excited to see how it performs when it arrives in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I got a Hard Eddie two months ago. It is a work of art - wonderfully made, crafted not manufacturered, and a dream to ride. The bike is truly magic. You will be smiling every kilometre you put on it.

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well the deed is done... Hard Eddie in the mail along with an XX1 crank... Here's to the next few weeks of frantic part searching and bike building...Woohoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We shall have to compare builds Kilowatt! Did you go for the red & black frame?

I will have to wait a bit longer than you for mine to ship to Oz!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by galumay View Post
    We shall have to compare builds Kilowatt! Did you go for the red & black frame?

I will have to wait a bit longer than you for mine to ship to Oz!
    I am in the market and want to try the hard eddie 650b as a single speed.I currently ride a one nine niner scadium ss and really like it but think the hard eddie is the cats meow.I am intrested in your thought and impressions once u get a few rides in.Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey guys - probably a dumb question but I need help determining the correct headset for this frame. I was looking at a Cane Creek 40 or 110 but wasn't exactly sure which one to get. Any thoughts?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    I am in the market and want to try the hard eddie 650b as a single speed.
    As someone riding a 29er converted to 650b I would worry about the bottom bracket being too low. I run a 140mm fork on my 650B Yelli Screamy and its just barely high enough.

You might wanna look at the On One 456 carbon or Whippet. Both are carbon 26" frames that will clear 650B wheels
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Killowatt View Post
    Hey guys - probably a dumb question but I need help determining the correct headset for this frame. I was looking at a Cane Creek 40 or 110 but wasn't exactly sure which one to get. Any thoughts?
    I got the Cane Creek 40 with mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Can I ask if you bought online or from a store. I live in Bermuda and want to buy a Hard Eddie and have it shipped here.