View Poll Results: Which SS 29er would you recommend?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nashbar SS 29er

5 41.67%
  • Gravity G29

7 58.33%
    mtbr member

Listen! Nashbar SS 29er vs Gravity G29 SS?

Pretty simple, which would you recommend, the Nashbar SS 29er at $400 or Gravity G29 at $350? I plan to start with a SS as a cheap way to get into 29er's and if I grow tired of being a SS hipster I'd like to upgrade to 1x9 which both of these bikes will accommodate and potentially a front shock at some point.

Nashbar SS / Gravity G29

SPECS
    FRAME: 6061 Aluminum / 6061 Aluminum
    FORK: Cro-mo / Cro-mo
    HEADSET: Cane Creek VP-A41AC / CaneCreek VP-A42E
    CRANKSET: FSA V-Drive Megaexo 32T / TRUVATIV E400 33T
    BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA External Bearing / TruVativ BB-07-POWER SPLINE (ISIS)
    HANDLEBAR: Alloy 31.8mm / 6061 31.8mm
    CASSETTE: 18T / 18T
    BRAKES: Tektro IO Mechanical Disc / Tektro Novela
    WHEELSET: Alex DM-18 / WTB SPEED DISC 29X32H
    TIRES: WTB Nanoraptor 2.1" / WTB PROWLER SL RACE 2.1"
    CHAIN: KMC / KMC
    WEIGHT: 28lbs / 28.6lbs

GEOMETRY
    SEAT TUBE: 21" / 21"
    ESTIMATED TOP TUBE: 24.25" / 25.32
    HEAD TUBE ANGLE: 72 / 69.8
    SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 73 / 72
    B.B. HEIGHT: 11.9" / 12.28"
    CHAINSTAY: 17.7" / 17.52"

It seems that the Nashbar has better street cred (2 on a scale of 10, instead of 1 that the Gravity gets) since it's a de-badged 2008 SE Stout and the crankset and brakes seem to be better. The G29 has the same geometry as the Trek / Fisher G2 which I know I like so that's alluring. I'm just not sure about the Nashbar geometry, it has a slightly shorter top tube w/ steeper HTA than I was hoping for. That being said I'm coming from a 1999 Trek 6000 and I'm sure either of these bikes are going to be a welcome change. Riding will be 90% XC & single track, 10% sidewalk surfing.
    Last edited by Ufdah; 10-26-2012 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Curious how you'd propose to convert the G29 to 1x9? It appears to lack cable bosses and a derailler hanger... Maybe I'm missing something?

mtbr member
    I faced the same choice. Frankly, there are several reasons I went with the Nashbar, not the least of which was the geometry. It's a much more agile feeling bike.

mtbr member
    The G29 can take an aftermarket chain-tug with hanger just like the Nashbar has on it and I would just run full length cables. It has the same rear hub as the geared G29's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I faced the same choice. Frankly, there are several reasons I went with the Nashbar, not the least of which was the geometry. It's a much more agile feeling bike.
    Is this based off the numbers or have you had a chance to ride a 29er with Trek / Fisher G2 geometry and compare the feel of them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Is this based off the numbers or have you had a chance to ride a 29er with Trek / Fisher G2 geometry and compare the feel of them?
    Well, I don't think it's comparing apples to apples, but yes, I've ridden a Fisher 29er that a friend of mine owns. Now, keep in mind it was also full suspension. Numerically though, the numbers show through in the handling. The HT is agressive on the Nashbar bike, but it's not twitchy. The Fisher just felt slugish the whole time I rode it. But I don't think the suspension on that bike was set up right either.

mtbr member
    Thanks, my biggest concern with the Nashbar is that the HTA is so steep. My current 26er Trek 6000 has 72 and it feels quite twitchy. The front tire often tries to turn 90 when cornering in loose conditions or it'll wash out and I would like to find something a little more stable. The other concern was the ETT of the Nash is a little shorter on paper but the actual numbers I'm getting from people on the Gravity G29 are almost identical... Why can't everything just be what it seems?

Disabled Vet
    I don't have experience with either-"yet",being the key word,as I kicked off a "Budget SS Budget" with today's pay,hoping December,planning January,(with a possible frame upgrade late next year...if it's warranted )

Right now I'm leaning towards the G29 for reasons mentioned (very good points given,IMHO),and previous experience with both Nashbar (and their products) and BikesDirect's products (while nothing wrong happened with NB's digs,my experience with BD's was steller),having owned both wheelsets on other bikes,I greatly favor the WTB's...for $50 less (though obviously bottom end) the G29 is laced with more name brand parts where it counts,lots of WTB,which has always served me very well....the geo fits me well going off the #'s and prior experience (I've been riding since I was 5-I'm 39 now-mtn biking since a teen in the upper mid 80's,and for several years my main 2 rides were the 2000 TREK 6000 that's currently my Xtracycle,and an '02 Monocog...so I do have a bit of saddle time in the bike you're coming from ).

I don't think either will stay rigid with me long-if they were a more forgiving steel maybe,but I can't do rigid budget aluminum for very long (spinal injuries)...I've even considered the suspended G29 (since I don't do anything resembling free-riding or drops,though I do like to ride technical trail a bit quick,LOL!) with a fork upgrade soon after,but I'm now thinking save that $100 difference (G29 rigid) and surf eBay for a good used susser fork,or keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a last year's model.

I know you most likely would anyways,but I for one am very interested to hear which way you go,your thoughts after purchase/riding it,and see some pics. Happy shopping
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    I picked up a G29 last year. I wanted to try out a 29er on the cheap. So keep in mind that this is my first experience on a 29er.

I spent last year on the canal flat. It was a stable, easy, casual ride. This year I've been able to hit the trails with it. It is a bit of a pig. The few times I've had the tires in the air the landings haven't been very forgiving. No issues on the uphill. It's not quite as responsive on the downhills at speed(rider skill?). But with the 29s it gives that margin for error.

Will I keep it as my rigid, SS, 29er? No. But for the money I am enjoying it very much. I have no regrets with the purchase.

Rogue Exterminator
    Good info as I am looking at both bikes myself.
    That being said, my intent is a little different as I already have a front suspension 29er for trail and mountain riding.
    My plans are to put Schwalbe Big Apples on the bike and use it for road work outs for when I don't have time to drive to the trails and trainer use when the weather is bad.

I am leaning more towards the G29 but still considering the Nashbar.

The bike will most likely never get upgraded and may or may not ever see actual trails.
    I think for intended use, either bike will serve me equally as well but if I am missing something let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been riding my G29 a few months now and have ridden it 33x16 with Kenda Small block 8's at 75psi on the road, the stock tires & 33x18 on trails with no big inclines, and 33x21 on very hilly technical trails. I would love a lighter bike but as far as bang for the buck I am very happy. I am 6'2" with 33.5" inseam and went with the 19" frame. I like it enough that I may get a 21" model for commuting & such on the road.

Rogue Exterminator
    Wow, at your height 19" seems a little small.
    I am just shy of 5'11" with about 31" inseam and ride a 19" frame.
    How does the 19" feel to you at your height?

29er
    Apr 2010
    72 hta is a deal breaker for me