mtbr member
    May 2013

My Stolen 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 1 29er..oh yeah and hello and thanks for having me!

Hello all. I am a first time poster on here(long time lurker). I would like to start out by saying thank you to MTBR.com and the community for having me.

Second I would like to explain that I recently built up a brand new 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 1 29er with XX1 in my garage in Encinitas, CA(Northern San Diego County Coastal). I finished the build about a week ago and planned an epic first ride weekend on MT. Laguna for a debut ride. Exactly two days after the build was completed my Fiance was rearranging our garage, came inside the house to get a glass of water and 5 minutes later the bike was gone!! Needless to say I am heart broken. I have insurance, but I have a $2k deductible and I will not be able to afford the same quality bike, that I saved for 2 years to purchase, again.

I am asking the community to keep a look out for my bike. It has several distinguishing features that may jump out at you if you see it on the trails, see it being listed for sale, or someone approaches you to buy it. Unfortunately I never had a chance to take any pictures of the bike, but it is the Black and White 2012 Carbon 1 model with the stock DT Swiss Tricon Wheels, Racing Ralph Tires, and of course the Carbon Lefty.
    1.)It has been upgraded from XX to XX1(GRIP SHIFT), but I wanted to keep the hollowgram cranks, so I purchased an after market spider to fit the XX1 rings and the hollowgram cranks from Lusardi Racing in Germany. There are probably only 5-10 of these spiders in the US so if you see a Cannondale Scalpel running XX1 with hollowgrams it is probably mine!!
    2.) It had an Adamo "Peak" noseless saddle on it, and Time Atac MTB pedals on it
    3.) I took the XTR sticker off the carbon Lefty on the front by accident. I have never seen another Scalpel Carbon Lefty without the XTR sticker on it.

Other than the above I don't know what else to say, but thank you....Thank you for allowing me into your forum, thank you for keeping a look out...and once again I am sorry that for my first post I could not bring anything to the forum, but rather I am already asking for services. I promise to make up for this at a later date.

Patrick

P.S. If you have any information about the bike I am offering a $500 reward for safe return of the bike. Please contact me on my Cell at 858-583-6040 or at my email patrick.l.duncan@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My Stolen 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 1 29er..oh yeah and hello and thanks for havi

I am sure you already deduced this but if your fiancÚ was only away for a few minutes then the thief is most likely someone who knew the bike was there and stumbled upon an opportunity to steal it.

I would knock on your neighbors doors and ask if anyone was home at the time of the robbery and if so, did they see anything.

You never know, your neighbor may have security footage of the heist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hopefully you find your bike...i had my bike stolen some years back and it sucks big time. It's most likely someone very close by and they had knowledge the bike was there. I HATE thieves with a passion.

mtbr member

My Stolen 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 1 29er..oh yeah and hello and thanks for havi

Sorry to hear you got ripped off. You should also post this in the SoCal regional forum

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will definitely keep a look out in San Diego. I cruise ebay and craigslist fairly regularly as well so I will keep an eye there.

More advice I've seen is to check the swap meets. Crooks are figuring out that Ebay and Craigslist are easy to watch so bikes are turning up at swap meets.

My road bike was stolen a few months ago and even though it was a Scattante, I'm still devastated. I was a cheap frame but all Ultegra components and Ksyrium wheels. My personal property insurace took care of it, but I'll never get over the shock and anger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would make a flyer about your Bike with upgrades that you could drop off at LBS and maybe fax to stores too far to drive to. I have seen dirtbags bring stolen bikes into bike shops to sale for cash. The store called the police and they came and picked up the guy.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Re: My Stolen 2012 Cannondale Scalpel

Also, don't forget to check out the pawn shops.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That really sucks man, I hope that your bike turns up. Hopefully whoever stole it gets run over by a semi.. sucks for the bike, but justice would be served.

Another suggestion too is that if you.. smoke, or have any friends that do, have them check with their suppliers. Had some stolen car stereo equipment that turned up by going underground rather than letting the police handle it.

two wheel whore
    Craiglist for sure. I hope you get your bike back and catch the bastard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sorry to hear about your bike. Ill look out for it up in the San Gabriel Valley area. Like others have said Craigslist and Pawn Shops.