I ride bicycles sometimes

My Rocky Mountain Altitude 29

Hey guys. I've had this bike for two years now and its been through some serious changes. Several wheels, few forks, endless cockpit changes and i think i finally got it where i want it.
    I widened the rear drop outs to be 12x135 for a stiffer rear end, stripped the original paint, and slackened the angles with a 140mm fork and Angleset. I guess i like things a little more custom.

This bike does it all. From parks to trails to djs. Strange i dont see them more offen. Just wanted to share my experience with you guys.

mtbr member
    Hey Fuze. I read your extensive review of the motobecane. It was very good. While I think that your RM is the shizznit, I see the moto in the background......set up SS! What is your gearing set up? It looks like your chainring is pretty small.......or you have a large cog in the back. Either way, cool Would you mind giving me a rundown on your parts for the moto? Sorry that my repy wasn't for the RM, but when I saw the moto, I had to ask!
    Confucius say, "Man with itchy butt wake up with stinky finger."

Thanks DJM,

I actually use it as my DJ bike. The gearing is a little unusual but its perfect for Dirt Jumps; 22, 12. I actually have some new parts that i just got for that bike, so maybe when i install them ill post about my "jumping a 29er" experience. Wide bar + short stem seems to be an amazing combo on 29ers...at least for me.

As far as parts on the moto...Velocity Blunt wheels, Hope Hubs, Nevagal front, Racing Ralph rear, Tektro mech brake, Jagwire compressionless cable, 40mm Hussfelt stem, Hussfelt cranks (not pictured), Howitzer BB, 720mm Gravity Bar, ESI Chunky grips, horrible pedals that need to be replaced, crap seat post cut down as short as possible, spare seat i had laying around, 100m Tora waiting to be installed.

mtbr member
    Fuze, it looks great. I kinda knew it was headed toward the "dj" side when i saw how close the seat was to the frame! Excellent my friend. I just posted up my moto in another thread if ya wanted to check her out .Thanks for replying.
    Confucius say, "Man with itchy butt wake up with stinky finger."

two wheel whore
    Nice. I agree, shorter stems and slacker ha for me with 29ers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great job. I have the same bike and am finally at the point that it is time to start replacing things. May use your build as a template. :-)

Good job!

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and get a fox 140mm 34 float. By far a superior fork. Smooth, plush and solid!

I recently bought a fox DHXAir 5.0 rear shock but the bottom out reservoir hits the frame at near the end of the stroke. I tried to get offset bushings to push the shock backward some but they were not quite enough to make the shock fit. Bummer...would of turned the rear end of this bike around.

I plan on adding a new kashima coated fox shock to the rear and using the offset bushings to bring the bottom bracket down a hair and slacken the bike out a bit more. I'll post an update when it's complete.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah, i think so, Nice. I agree, shorter stems and slacker ha for me with 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I love my Altitude 29. I am still rocking the stock geometry and 120 mm fork.

I really dig what you did with yours. I have been contemplating getting an angle set to slacken the front up a bit, and switching from a 70mm stem to a 50.

I ride mostly aggressive XC with some tech and chunk in the summer. In the winter I ride really technical nasty stuff in Sedona, AZ. I thought that the slacker approach would really pay off there.

I also need to build up a set of Sedona wheels and larger volume tires. The stan's arches I am on now are great for most of my riding, but a wider burlier rim would be great in Sedona. How do you like your mtx's? Are they really heavy?

Thanks for posting this up, it gives me some ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    I love my Altitude 29. I am still rocking the stock geometry and 120 mm fork.

I really dig what you did with yours. I have been contemplating getting an angle set to slacken the front up a bit, and switching from a 70mm stem to a 50.

I ride mostly aggressive XC with some tech and chunk in the summer. In the winter I ride really technical nasty stuff in Sedona, AZ. I thought that the slacker approach would really pay off there.

I also need to build up a set of Sedona wheels and larger volume tires. The stan's arches I am on now are great for most of my riding, but a wider burlier rim would be great in Sedona. How do you like your mtx's? Are they really heavy?

Thanks for posting this up, it gives me some ideas!
    I'd say before you spend the money on the AngleSet, get a 140mm fork. It will slacken the bike out and the extra travel is great for the chuck and giving the bike a much more stable feeling over the 120mm. I'd say if you are then concerned about the bottom bracket height, get offset bushings. They are really cheap and work great for lowering the bb and slackening hta.

As for the MTX33 rim, they aren't super heavy, but then again I'm running 36 spokes, burly FR tire, and a 2.3 - 2.5 tube so I can't really say. I got tired of bending wheels and this was a great solution.

Thanks guys.