Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nice day for a ride.....

My Origin 8 Scout 29er build

I figured I'd make a thread to show my new 29er build. I've got a geared Cannondale 29er hardtail that I love so I was looking for something a little different and figured a rigid singlespeed would be fun around here. I also need to keep the build cheap, which shouldn't be too hard since I have quite the collection of "spare" parts.

I picked the Origin8 Scout for my build. The frame has slot dropouts for easy SS setup, it also has a derailleur hanger if I want to run rigid with gears in the snow or if the SS just isn't my thing. I've seen a few threads with these frame built up and they look great.

The frame and fork

Dropouts for SS and gears

Headtube badge - nice!

Good looking welds and nice details on the frame

Frame weight - 6lbs, 2.2 ounces.

Fork weight - 3 lbs 4.8 ounces.

Hopefully I can get some building done on Boxing Day, got all my bits in the mail today for it. Should be a fun build.
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 11-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Got some work done on the Origin 8 this morning.

Installing the Cane Creek S2 headset

FSA stem and Bontrager Earl WIDE bars

Installing the BB7 on the rear. I had originally planned to install a 180mm rotor but the chainstay mounted brake tab had some clearance issues with the adapter. Went to a 160mm rotor with no issues.

Shimano SLX cranks with Blackspire ring

Dropout detail and Chromag QR

Chainline setup.

More to come......

Nice day for a ride.....
    Finished off the Scout last night. Turned out nice IMO.

Running it 32x21 for now, will change if needed but its a nice gear on my geared 29er for the rolling trails around here.
    I've only been out for a quick spin up and down the street, so far it feels like it handles pretty quick and scoots along nicely.

The Small Block Eight tires are not my favourite tire in the sandy trails around here and will likely be swapped out before spring for an Ardent front, Ignitor rear combo.

Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 11-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Epic Photographer
    Oct 2006
    I literally just built this bike. Seriously, there are more parts similar on mine than are different. I have only run it up and down the street, but I will have it in the Don Valley tomorrow...

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman View Post
    I literally just built this bike. Seriously, there are more parts similar on mine than are different. I have only run it up and down the street, but I will have it in the Don Valley tomorrow...
    Cool, another Ontario rider on a Scout. Let me know how it handles in the Don, and what tires are you running? Post up some pics too if you've got them.
    We just got a boatload of snow down my way and riding for me has stopped until some of the snow melts.

Epic Photographer
    Oct 2006
    The snow stopped me from getting into the Don. I am running ardent front and rear. I will post some pics when I can get them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow. 9.5lbs for the frame and fork? That frameset is porky. That's gotta be one of the heaviest 29er frames around. A 3.25lb rigid fork? better be some gold in the legs. I've heard they ride well though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    Wow. 9.5lbs for the frame and fork? That frameset is porky. That's gotta be one of the heaviest 29er frames around. A 3.25lb rigid fork? better be some gold in the legs. I've heard they ride well though.
    The frame is lighter than a Redline Monocog, SE Stout, or Dawes Deadeye/Bullseye frame. But the fork is a total porker for sure. But hey, it's $200 shipped! I replaced the fork with a Surly KM and dropped a pound in addition to adding a significant amount of tire clearance even with a 2.4" up front.

From bikes

[IMG]
    From bikes
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Bike Whisperer; 12-31-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have the same frame in steel. Set up SS and rigid. Using an Origin 8 carbon fork. Love this bike
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    Surprisingly though it seems decently light weight all built up. I don't have a scale to weight the complete bike but its lighter than my 28lbs geared hardtail. Its not the best choice if your going to be racing but should do a decent job as a trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman View Post
    The snow stopped me from getting into the Don. I am running ardent front and rear. I will post some pics when I can get them.
    I just ordered some tires for it, I went with an Ardent 2.4 front and an Ignitor 2.1 rear. I'm running Ardent 2.25/ Crossmark 2.1 on my geared bike and like it, hoping that the Ignitor will add a bit of traction on the rear as the Crossmark can get a little loose on the trails down my way.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    Finished off the Scout last night. Turned out nice IMO.

Running it 32x21 for now, will change if needed but its a nice gear on my geared 29er for the rolling trails around here.
    I've only been out for a quick spin up and down the street, so far it feels like it handles pretty quick and scoots along nicely. I used alot of spare parts I had around the shop that I've been collecting for a project like this so the total build cost was only $279.32 CAD.

The Small Block Eight tires are not my favourite tire in the sandy trails around here and will likely be swapped out before spring for an Ardent front, Ignitor rear combo.

Build Sheet and cost list

Very nice

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    Very nice
    Thanks!

Nice day for a ride.....
    Just finished installing new rubber. Ardent 2.4 front Ignitor 2.1 rear

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice build. I think you'll like the Ardent up front: I've been running that for a couple of years on my rigid SS and absolutely love it.

Ride on.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheeler View Post
    Nice build. I think you'll like the Ardent up front: I've been running that for a couple of years on my rigid SS and absolutely love it.

Ride on.
    I've got the Ardent 2.25 on my Cannondale 29er and love it. Went with the 2.4 for a little more "cush" effect on the rigid front end. Also went with the Ignitor rear opposed to the Crossmark thats on my C-Dale because I've heard it offer better traction while standing with a small price to pay in rolling resistance. Can't wait to get this bike out and ride. The snow is starting to melt off around here just need it to freeze again and firm everything up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yea the fork is a tank. I run a fargo v.2 on mine no issue. Unfortunatley the new (matte blk current) frame only allows for a 160 rotor, i had the earlier frame and it could take a 140 all the way to a 180 on theback. Last one warrantied due to a bad weld. (crooked, couldn't run over a 2.0 tire on back.) Very fun, cost effective frame.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie 15 View Post
    Yea the fork is a tank. I run a fargo v.2 on mine no issue. Unfortunatley the new (matte blk current) frame only allows for a 160 rotor, i had the earlier frame and it could take a 140 all the way to a 180 on theback. Last one warrantied due to a bad weld. (crooked, couldn't run over a 2.0 tire on back.) Very fun, cost effective frame.
    I'm not too concerned about the fork weight to be honest. I'm pushing 260lbs so a heavy bike is no biggie to me.

I had originally planned to use a 180mm rotor on the back but learned the hard way that it was a no go. Luckily I had the 160mm rotor and adaptor lying about in the shop. Would have been nice if Origin8 had specified the rear rotor size restriction. Oh well, I'm still happy with the overall quality / affordability of the frame and fork .

What generation was the frame you had warrantied? This one looks like there is heaps of room for big tires.

mtbr member
    Nice build, what's the total weight? My local shop builds all kinds of variations with the Origin8 Scout 29er frame/ parts and they price it from $500-$800 depending on parts used.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    Nice build, what's the total weight? My local shop builds all kinds of variations with the Origin8 Scout 29er frame/ parts and they price it from $500-$800 depending on parts used.
    I'm not sure of the total weight, I'll have to weigh it soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    I'm not too concerned about the fork weight to be honest. I'm pushing 260lbs so a heavy bike is no biggie to me.

I had originally planned to use a 180mm rotor on the back but learned the hard way that it was a no go. Luckily I had the 160mm rotor and adaptor lying about in the shop. Would have been nice if Origin8 had specified the rear rotor size restriction. Oh well, I'm still happy with the overall quality / affordability of the frame and fork .

What generation was the frame you had warrantied? This one looks like there is heaps of room for big tires.
    2nd gen. The gunmetal/green frame, before this was a frameset. The seatstay was welded crooked resulting in the frame basically being twisted. Cleared the chainstay, rubbed on the seatstay. Had to have the wheel be perfectly true to get it to work. Didn't shift well either. Warranty was great, had a new frame in 2 days and the new frame is fantastic. J+B (the supplier) was great and takes care of their coustomers and employees.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie 15 View Post
    2nd gen. The gunmetal/green frame, before this was a frameset. The seatstay was welded crooked resulting in the frame basically being twisted. Cleared the chainstay, rubbed on the seatstay. Had to have the wheel be perfectly true to get it to work. Didn't shift well either. Warranty was great, had a new frame in 2 days and the new frame is fantastic. J+B (the supplier) was great and takes care of their coustomers and employees.
    Good to know that they stand behind their product should any problem occur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thought I'd post another Scout (although not rigid). Finally built mine and have about 40 miles so far. Fit is pretty dialed in for me:

17" scout frame
    2009 Reba SL (new oem)
    Sun Ringle Charger wheelset
    SRAM x-9 shifters and derailleurs running 2x9
    wide Sunline 762 bars
    RaceFace Respond seatpost
    RaceFace Evolve 70mm stem

Rear wheel is as far forward in the track ends as possible. Handles well for the single track around here and the wheelset is very smooth. These are the widest bars I have used and even after just 3 rides cannot see myself going back to something less. Easily faster on my standard loop than my previous 26".

Yes - the bar ends are fairly upright, this is my 4th bike where I always end up using them, so they went on right away this time.

My Origin 8 Scout 29er build-scout1.jpg
    My Origin 8 Scout 29er build-scout2.jpg

Nice day for a ride.....

Re: My Origin 8 Scout 29er build

Very nice build. Those bars are huge!

Im just getting some miles on mine now and will post a bit of a review in a few weeks hopefully.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Very nice build. Those bars are huge!
    I think the picture angle and bar ends amplify the appearance of the size of the bar. I have the grips and controls inward from the absolute widest positions and could trim about 30mm off the bar.

I have a couple riding friends that are trying to give my bike a bull or steer nickname based on the fact they claim my bike has 'horns'. Oh well - as long as it rides and handles the way I want, I'm not worrying about the overall aesthetic. (Ok, I kind of lied since I do care about colors...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not to steal the thread, but this is my Scout build. I've got it set up as a single speed now, but that will change soon and become a 1x10 SLX setup.

Frame: 19" Scout 29er
    Fork: Rockshox Reba RLT 100mm
    Wheels: SLX hubs laced to Sun Inferno 27mm rims *by Snyder Cycles*
    Tires: Specialized Ground Control 29x2.3"
    Cranks: Deore 2 piece
    Bars: Origin8
    Brakes: Shimano M395 Hydro's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast