Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Rockcrusher, you still rocking the fat tire on the front of your Jones, or have you gone to a regular 29 inch front? Or do you switch a bunch and have preference? Lastly, you ever hear of anyone running a wide 26 inch rim on the back of a jones with a big old dh tire?
    I have mostly used the 29er setup I have, just haven't dabbled too much with the fat front because I never settled on a tubeless setup and here in AZ I prefer to be tubeless vs. adding more weight with sealant in a tube. Plan on messing around with the tubeless this winter as I get into my riding season again. That said the bike is just insanely good in the 29er config it is hard to convince myself that I need to add something to it.

Not sure how much you could cram in the back...My purgatories on Flows are pretty good with clearance but I wouldn't go that much fuller back there without worrying about rubbing the CS. Sounds like Jones need to get to work on a full fat with a 83mm BB area in a hurry or you need to steal Carpenter's bike.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I have mostly used the 29er setup I have, just haven't dabbled too much with the fat front because I never settled on a tubeless setup and here in AZ I prefer to be tubeless vs. adding more weight with sealant in a tube. Plan on messing around with the tubeless this winter as I get into my riding season again. That said the bike is just insanely good in the 29er config it is hard to convince myself that I need to add something to it.

Not sure how much you could cram in the back...My purgatories on Flows are pretty good with clearance but I wouldn't go that much fuller back there without worrying about rubbing the CS. Sounds like Jones need to get to work on a full fat with a 83mm BB area in a hurry or you need to steal Carpenter's bike.
    Thanks. I have the Purg on Flows out back too. I wonder if a 73mm bb would make any difference? I guess it's not much of a gain on the 68. I'll have to go look and see what the Krampus is using in the bb area. Yes, I want Carpenter's bike. Or Drevil's. I'm not picky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fat front Jones really is the way to go. I originally bought my Jones Diamond frame and Unicrown fork from Jeff with a 29er wheelset. He advised me to try it out with the 29er wheels to make sure the geo was a good fit for me, but also said that once I tried the fat front I wouldn't want to put the 29er front wheel back on. He was mostly right.

My front wheel is a Paul WHUB laced to a Surly Large Marge Lite rim with a Husker Du tire. It is a really awesome setup - pretty light, wide enough, great grip, etc. I run the fat wheel 90% of the time. the only times that I run the 29er front are either for bikepacking or on a select few trails that are really buffed smooth. Otherwise, if the trail has roots and rocks, I'm going fat.

I know, I know...pics or it didn't happen, so here it is...

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

26in knard

Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    There seems to be some hinting that a 26x3.0 Knard is on the way.
    where did you hear this?......any more news? sounds like this might be the total package to go in the front of my 1x1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    where did you hear this?......any more news? sounds like this might be the total package to go in the front of my 1x1
    Just some rumoring and hinting in the fat bike forums. Nothing to get too excited about. Just hunch.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Wait til you try it without the boat anchor wheel and tire!
    Enel, dont bother...moderators have super small penises- its a prerequisite , dont expect logic either

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    Enel, dont bother...moderators have super small penises- its a prerequisite , dont expect logic either
    Thankfully me and my small rooster are quite content with the 29er wheel. When i get around to it, I might convert a fat fronter to tubeless to cut some weight and increase its usefulness and just play around with it. I mean Fo plays with his all the time, if he didn't it wouldn't get any use and then it would just be deflated and sad. Can't let it go to waste when you still have it.
    Try this: HTFU

agu
    mtbr member
    Sold two of my bikes to fund a Jones diamond unicrown build...will definitely post progress on this thread or in the Tai Jones one.

Hurry up January!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for posting up this review. I'm going to order the diamond/uni setup now and if the geo is good, I'll be going for the space frame next year. I was going back and forth between fat and 29er, but I think I'll go with a 29er (Velocity Blunt 35) for now. I've had a fat front in the past, and while fun, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    You're a dIck. Hehehehe. Do you miss me?
    "Do not touch the trim"

agu
    mtbr member
    more teasing courtesy of Mr Jones:

Singlespeed Bike | Jones Bikes

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I guess I don't understand the teasing element. One could speculate he is entertaining the idea of accomodating the Knard in the next version. Is that what you're referring to?

agu
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    I guess I don't understand the teasing element. One could speculate he is entertaining the idea of accomodating the Knard in the next version. Is that what you're referring to?
    Jones has said a Knard+rabbit hole fits the truss and unicrown forks, and a non-Knard and Rabbit Hole will fit in the rear.

there has been speculation as to when the release date of the said Knard and Rabbit Holes will be. Obviously Jones has a bunch and in fact he has said that he will be building up some wheel sets.

I myself am waiting for my Jones frame and possible Rabbit Hole front wheel combo, hence the teasing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Jeff has been running a 50mm rim on the back of his bikes for some time...he had a prototype built before the Rabbit Hole came out. But the Ardent is as big a tire as can fit. No Knard out back.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I will be all over the Diamond frame if it becomes Knard-able

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    bro, if you are happy with that bike that is all that matters, as for me I would throw up in my mouth every time I looked at that thing. I am big on design aesthetics and Jones appears to have none.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    bro, if you are happy with that bike that is all that matters, as for me I would throw up in my mouth every time I looked at that thing. I am big on design aesthetics and Jones appears to have none.
    All subjective, I guess. I think it's a beautiful frame. At worst, at least a breath of fresh air from the mundane double triangle.

agu
    mtbr member
    Indeed it is all subjective. It's more fun to ride your bike than stare at it. (Though we are all guilty of the latter!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    All subjective, I guess. I think it's a beautiful frame. At worst, at least a breath of fresh air from the mundane double triangle.
    I'm cool with the fram, it's that wheelbarrow of a front end I can't stomach. If I was gonna go fat I would do a mukluk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have diamond with truss; I don't like the look of the truss, but it rides so much better than any other rigid fork I have used.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3