mtbr member
    Feb 2013

My next bike! Help!

Hello all, this is my first post here.. Anyways, I am looking for a new bike. I have competed in my local series in the novice division and placed every race, so now its time for me to move up a group. I currently ride a Trek Marlin 29er. Love this bike gets me around pretty fast, but the bike is heavy. I am 6' 175lbs looking for another hardtail but carbon this time. Here is my dilemma. I would love to buy a brand new bike, but sadly i am in highschool so my job doesn't pay out big bucks.. and i know carbon bikes are expensive. So i was thinking on maybe getting just the frame for right now then upgrading the components later on, or upgrade the current components on my bike, or just save up and just buy a new bike. If i could get your guy's feedback that would be great! Thankss

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would just SAVE until you have the money to buy complete bike...until then beat that Trek up

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's more cost effective to buy a complete bike, but it's more fun to build your own. The problem is that your current bike is too low end for it to make sense to put any of those parts on a better frame. So given your current situation, your best bet is none of the above. Instead, buy a much better used bike. It doesn't have to be carbon either - you'd be surprised by how much better overall a higher end aluminum hardtail will ride compared to your current bike. Look for bikes that have SRAM X9 or XO or Shimano SLX or XT components. A Fox fork is always a good indication of a quality build as well since Fox doesn't make any low end forks. If you need help finding a good bike, I bet there are plenty of guys that you race with that would be happy to help you make the right choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A top carbon race bike the last two years was the Scott Scale 29 Expert and Pro. They come up on ebay for 1500 or so. The AL version is the Elite. These have the dual air Reba fork in 2012 more tuneable then the dumbed down 13 solo air version. A Chinese carbon HongFu FM 056 frame is close in geo but not as stiff for around 475.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I realize that the current bike doesn't have high end components. I would be able to save up enough before this race season starts to buy a new bike.. So would it be smart if I did get high end components on the bike and then get another frame later on? Build the bike up myself basically but just over time and not all at once. Doing this was one of my original thoughts but I wanted to get your guys' feedback to help guide me in the right direction

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hello, I need the help of experienced riders.
    In November I was looking for another hobby I could do 3-4 times a week and decided on cycling. Iím on the east coast, Florida, and live on the beach. I plan on building up to 25 mile rides. House to work is 25 miles with 24 of them on the beach and Iíd like to do that run once or twice a week as soon as I have the stamina and speed to do it in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise Iíll be riding 75% beach and 25% trails. Nothing rocky and Florida is flat. I ordered a Surly Krampus complete from my LBS and have been waiting impatiently ever since. I am so amped about cycling I canít wait any longer and would like to order a second bike I can start enjoying now. This is where I could use your advice. From what Iíve read the surly Moonlander works great in soft sand. With the goals stated above what bike would you recommend? $3000 is my budget for the second bike. I appreciate any input. Thanks, Saint