Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    giddy up!

My new favorite piece of gear: Wingnut Hyper 3

I'll start by saying that I'm a fan of large hydration packs. I don't really like drinking from bottles and I like long rides......that being the case, I've tried quite a few hydration packs over the years.

A typical ride for me had me carrying a 100oz of water, 5-7 gu's, 2-3 bars, 1-2 tubes, pump, mini tool, a small bag of masterlinks and common bolt sizes, knee warmers, upper body clothing layer, and a change of gloves.

For a longer ride throw in more food, a water filter and more clothes. No matter how you slice it that adds up to alot of stuff. With every hydration pack I've ever used I've wound up with an overstuffed sausage on my back that shifts alot and carries the weight directly on my shoulders.

A few months back I tried Endomaniac's Wingnut.....by tried it I mean stood in his kitchen and jumped around. However, I could tell that there was something unique and noteworthy about the packs so I picked one up.

It's awesome.

This thing will swallow a cubic ton of stuff. I'd be hard pressed to fill this thing to it's capacity on a one day ride in nice weather. It carries everything really low on your back....the result is awesome. The pack basically disappears....you kinda forget it's there.

The wing pockets are probably the coolest feature. They wrap halfway around your waist giving you 2 pockets per side that are accessable while riding. There's a mesh pocket that I use for food and there's a zippered pocket that I use for arm/knee warmers.

Best feature.....a mesh pocket on the strap that is the perfect size to hold an Ipod mini.

For the record: I have no affiliation with Wingnut......I just figured some of you might be interested in these things.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donkey; 04-16-2006 at 07:58 PM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm getting to know the 2.5 version. So far it's been pretty good. I like the easy-access side pouches but the under-the-arm hose routing did not work for me at all. The loop of hose kept getting snagged on stuff or bouncing off of my thigh on every pedalstroke, and I had difficulty using the round bite valve effectively. I swapped it for a Camelbak hose/bite valve and now route it over-the-shoulder via the mesh tunnel and it seems to work.

Witty McWitterson
    I'm getting the shop I work at to carry them. I tried on ozlongboraders last year for a bit and was completely sold. And I hate Hydro packs. I've been a dedicated bottle drinker for years. I've tried several packs, but they're all so damned uncomfortable.
    Just a regular guy.

breathing helium
    Thanks for the heads up Donkey. I've been wishing there existed a better alternative to the Camelback Mule that I have. As stuffed as it gets on most rides, it ends up feeling like a scuba tank on my back. It ends up riding in the middle of my back with the weight on my upper shoulder area. I'm going to try the Wingnut for sure!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    Thanks for the heads up Donkey. I've been wishing there existed a better alternative to the Camelback Mule that I have. As stuffed as it gets on most rides, it ends up feeling like a scuba tank on my back. It ends up riding in the middle of my back with the weight on my upper shoulder area. I'm going to try the Wingnut for sure!
    I've noticed that a lot of people end up using their Camelbaks set real low on the back anyway. The lumbar positioning really does hide the weight you're carrying better than a highback pack. I had a Camelbak Hipster (aka Bandito) fannypack-style water bag back in the mid-90's that also carried the weight at the lumbar level. It did not have a decent harness over the shoulders and as such would allow the pack to annoyingly slide down over my rump unless I had the waistbelt tightened up so much that I couldn't bend forward or breathe. The Wingnut harness works well.

One downside I discovered last week is that with a lumbar pack, I don't have a nice, big, watery cushion on which to land when I go over the bars. I have a nice scrape on my thoracic area now.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I'm getting to know the 2.5 version. So far it's been pretty good. I like the easy-access side pouches but the under-the-arm hose routing did not work for me at all. The loop of hose kept getting snagged on stuff or bouncing off of my thigh on every pedalstroke, and I had difficulty using the round bite valve effectively. I swapped it for a Camelbak hose/bite valve and now route it over-the-shoulder via the mesh tunnel and it seems to work.
    Your Hyper 2.5 seems to be the same width as the 3.0 just shorter? Is that the model that uses the square bladder?

How are the shoulder straps attached to the 2.5....1 piece of webbing or 2?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Your Hyper 2.5 seems to be the same width as the 3.0 just shorter? Is that the model that uses the square bladder?

How are the shoulder straps attached to the 2.5....1 piece of webbing or 2?

B
    Yes, it's the square bladder model, and the back has two straps. It looks like the 3.0 but shorter. It still seems cavernous though. tberg razzed me by saying, "Nice duffel bag!"

mtbr member
    Hey, that's my mutt!

Nice duffel bag by the way.

Good job!

Just got back from Fruita and testing my new Wingnut 3.0 on long rides.

For the most part the pack is great. At first I had it adjusted too low but once I fixed that it nestled itself comfortably in the small of my back and disappeared. I am using my Camelback 100 oz. bladder and it fits well and the hose routing that I figured out works fine. The pack holds quite a bit of stuff but I have not tried "overstuffing" it yet for some of my expedition type rides. My favorite thing are the "wing" pockets both mesh and zippered. It is so nice to be able to put stuff within reach while you ride and not have to stop to pull things out. The zippers work so well that I can comfortably reach back and unzip the wing pocket and grab something out of there too. But most quick grab stuff will be in the mesh. I did not use the draw cord on the back to hold anything. I also like that the main pocket is water proof so If I need to protect something from rain or snow (I-Pod) I can throw it in there.

One thing did bother me a bit. I don't think the shoulder straps are quite as comfortable as my Camelback HAWG's. There is no padding (thus the WN is really light) and I felt the straps dug in just a bit and I noticed a bit if fatigue up there but not bad. Also as a result of the straps being lighter in build I can't seem to swing the WN onto my shoulders quite as swiftly and surely as my CB. I found myself searching for the straps in order to get the pack on - but this is a quibble.

Overall I am pleased. The pack is pretty darn expensive though so I was a bit worried about the investment.

Ed E

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Which pack will I need for a 40 min. romp through Whiting Ranch?

mtbr member
    Donkey, where'd you get it? I've been wanting one of these... anyone in Socal carry them, or do i have to order direct?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    Donkey, where'd you get it? I've been wanting one of these... anyone in Socal carry them, or do i have to order direct?
    Yeah, I just ordered off of their website.....www.wingnutgear.com

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This should be sufficient Padre.

what a joke
    Been loving my 3.0 for almost a year now. Wider or padded starps would be a nice option for long rides when the pack is jammed full.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Padre, All of the trails here are loop trails that are 10 miles max. I use the Assualt. It holds a CO2 pump/tube, Crank Bros 19 tool w/ chain breaker, and a couple of links. I use a Camelback 35oz bladder in it and so far it has been great. You can also get the older "NewSun" version for like 30 bucks in the closeout section of the site. That is what I went with works well. Later on, JC
    On one gear fixed or free is where I want to be.....

Gold Member
    My friend has been talking about these packs for about a year. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it so much, it makes thinking about buying one a little easier to consider.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Been loving my 3.0 for almost a year now. Wider or padded starps would be a nice option for long rides when the pack is jammed full.
    Agreed on the straps. I'm going to try and figure something out for the them.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, the pack was very stable even over rough and tumble trails. I tried the sternum strap but like with the CB quit using it as it restricts breathing too much IMO, but I did not miss it from a stability perspective.

Ed E

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I tried to tell you had to really use it to understand its value.

I couldn't deal with the low hose mounting, I seemed to snag the hose on everything in site particularly my seat getting on and off the bike. Once I converted to a more conventional hose routing set up everything was grand. Have you gotten over the waist belt issue?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    . Have you gotten over the waist belt issue?
    I'm getting used to it....Once I'm riding I forget all about it....but when I put the thing on and snug up the belt it's still a little weird.

Now that I think about it..I've cut the waist belt off of every hydration pack I've ever owned.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Thanks for the great review and input from other users. This system has just been added to my list and shall be purchased for the upcoming epic riding season (right after I buy some more baggy shorts so you guys don't have to continue to see me in those ugly blue-ish Nema's that are now my sole pair).

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

what a joke
    and one other thing..... the mouthpiece is brown with the supplied bladder, anything brown is very hard to find in the under growth.... my hose got hooked on a branch and it yanked the mouthpiece off, 5 guys 10min and we could not find it.
    blah blah blah

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    and one other thing..... the mouthpiece is brown with the supplied bladder, anything brown is very hard to find in the under growth.... my hose got hooked on a branch and it yanked the mouthpiece off, 5 guys 10min and we could not find it.
    The newer one is blue, but still fairly dark in color. Since Wingnut does not manufacture the bladders, hoses & mouth pieces (yet) they have limited control over those details at this time.

...so adding a brightly colored mouth peice to the future improvements list.

Eddie O

Bodhisattva
    Been using a Wingnut Hyper 3.0 since shortly after I-Bike 04.

Great pack for all of the above mentioned reasons.
    And I agree with the negatives of the thin straps & house routing.

Not much can be done post-purchase about the straps, but long ago I routed the hose up and over the shoulder in a more conventional manner which works great.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I bought their Enduro pack on Clearance, but I've yet to use it. I hope it works out well for me though. I used to wear a camelbak and I sweat like a mofo as it is - I'm hoping the lower back placement of the Wingnut pack will help cool me down a bit on my back. We'll see once things get warmer here in Connecticut how effective it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I bought their Enduro pack on Clearance, but I've yet to use it. I hope it works out well for me though. I used to wear a camelbak and I sweat like a mofo as it is - I'm hoping the lower back placement of the Wingnut pack will help cool me down a bit on my back. We'll see once things get warmer here in Connecticut how effective it is.

Warmer? how much warmer do you need it to be here? lol

mtbr member
    I don't need it to be any warmer, but I know it will get much warmer and much more humid too come mid June through July/August.

Last year at the 24 Hours of Dalton the heat and humidity were formidable to say the least.

Lemme know when you are riding the W.H. Reservoir.
    Last edited by MMcG; 04-24-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    One thing did bother me a bit. I don't think the shoulder straps are quite as comfortable as my Camelback HAWG's. There is no padding (thus the WN is really light) and I felt the straps dug in just a bit and I noticed a bit if fatigue up there but not bad. Also as a result of the straps being lighter in build I can't seem to swing the WN onto my shoulders quite as swiftly and surely as my CB. I found myself searching for the straps in order to get the pack on - but this is a quibble.

Overall I am pleased. The pack is pretty darn expensive though so I was a bit worried about the investment.

Ed E
    Ed, glad to hear you are enjoying the packs. I spoke with Scott at Wingnut Gear today and he was hoping to have time to post here later. We discussed making the padded strap from the bigger Adventure Pack available for the 3.0. I'll have to have a look at my 3.0 when I get home to see if a retro-fit is an option.

Eddie O

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk
    This should be sufficient Padre.

That's so 1990.

mtbr member
    Lemme know when you are riding the W.H. Reservoir.
    I'm thinking Thursday nite.. either there or Case mtn depending on the amount of h2o on the ground (case would be drier, I reckon')

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I'm thinking Thursday nite.. either there or Case mtn depending on the amount of h2o on the ground (case would be drier, I reckon')
    Crap - Thursday is a no go for me.

But I did get out and ride after work tonight and the best part about it, the trails were just down the road and over a dirt embankment about 500 yards down the street from my where I now live!!!

mtbr member
    Crap - Thursday is a no go for me.

But I did get out and ride after work tonight and the best part about it, the trails were just down the road and over a dirt embankment about 500 yards down the street from my where I now live!!!
    Kool , I'd love to have trails outside my door..where do u live now?
    I'll probably be out Sunday morning too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    Kool , I'd love to have trails outside my door..where do u live now?
    I'll probably be out Sunday morning too
    I'm in Burlington, CT

Also very close to Nassahegon's trail network!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    Ed, glad to hear you are enjoying the packs. I spoke with Scott at Wingnut Gear today and he was hoping to have time to post here later. We discussed making the padded strap from the bigger Adventure Pack available for the 3.0. I'll have to have a look at my 3.0 when I get home to see if a retro-fit is an option.

Eddie O
    Hey thanks for that info! It'd be great to hear an update on that.

edit: below is based on more extreme riding than most folks do so it is a little more nitpicky as a result - that's all. Great pack!!

I used the pack again this weekend on a pretty brutal, long KT ride carrying quite a bit of weight; 170 oz. of water, plus gear, plus food, clothes, etc. IOW's - freakin' heavy! The pack was mostly comfortable but the straps were definitely felt and sometimes difficult to untwist up in that back of the neck area. If you are calm, not sweaty and taking your time it's not a big deal but I was very fried mentally and physically towards the end, in a semi-race mode and frustration is difficult to deal with in those situations.

Also, while I'm going here, the mesh carrying pocket on the strap is great but just a wee bit tight for Hammer gel flasks (not sure all gel flasks are the same size of course). It may loosen up as I use it and I know that we don't want it too loose, so just throwing that out there.

So I'm very pleased with the pack overall w/ some quibbles that I hope you find are useful suggestions to help out. It is carrying way more than I expected and there are a lot of nifty features I like. I plan to load even more weight on (sorry!) to further test it's ability to carry me through very tough desert riding (water!!)

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 04-25-2006 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    i wore my older model Enduro pack last night and I loved where it sat on my lower back, however - and perhaps it is just something I'll get used to - the shoulder straps could be spaced wider apart so that they don't scratch or rub on the lower neck area. That's the only nagging thing I had with the pack last night. maybe I need to make a few more adjustments to it, we'll see.

Overall I'm impressed with it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    i wore my older model Enduro pack last night and I loved where it sat on my lower back, however - and perhaps it is just something I'll get used to - the shoulder straps could be spaced wider apart so that they don't scratch or rub on the lower neck area. That's the only nagging thing I had with the pack last night. maybe I need to make a few more adjustments to it, we'll see.

Overall I'm impressed with it.
    Okay, yesterday the pack straps were rubbing my shoulders wrong too. I see several complaints about that issue, and I think I have a solution. I'll try it today and report back tonight...

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Hey thanks for that info! It'd be great to hear an update on that.

edit: below is based on more extreme riding than most folks do so it is a little more nitpicky as a result - that's all. Great pack!!
    You are exactly who these packs are being tailored to. If we (99.9% Scott Gibson, Wingnut Conductor) can create a pack that is comfortable and sturdy enough for epic rides, then a pack for 1 hour jaunts should come easy.

I used the pack again this weekend on a pretty brutal, long KT ride carrying quite a bit of weight; 170 oz. of water, plus gear, plus food, clothes, etc. IOW's - freakin' heavy! The pack was mostly comfortable but the straps were definitely felt and sometimes difficult to untwist up in that back of the neck area. If you are calm, not sweaty and taking your time it's not a big deal but I was very fried mentally and physically towards the end, in a semi-race mode and frustration is difficult to deal with in those situations.
    I don't follow you here. Why are the straps getting twisted in the first place? What is a KT ride? What is a IOW?

Also, while I'm going here, the mesh carrying pocket on the strap is great but just a wee bit tight for Hammer gel flasks (not sure all gel flasks are the same size of course). It may loosen up as I use it and I know that we don't want it too loose, so just throwing that out there.
    My initial opinion would be to go just a little larger to accommodate the flask or sunglasses, but others use that pocket for Ipods and GPSs....so we'll think on that a bit more. I've been putting the flask in a WingPocket, just make sure it's closed or you'll have a mess on your hands...literally.

So I'm very pleased with the pack overall w/ some quibbles that I hope you find are useful suggestions to help out. It is carrying way more than I expected and there are a lot of nifty features I like. I plan to load even more weight on (sorry!) to further test it's ability to carry me through very tough desert riding (water!!)

Ed E
    Glad to hear it and please keep the feedback coming. This is where improvements come from. We don't have a room full of engineers or worse yet marketing types coming up with ideas. Scott designs and manufactures.....you and I test....he improves....we test...the cycle goes on. As our riding evolves, so should our equipment. Please let me know what kind of weight and water capacity you end up going with.

Thanks for the feedback,

Eddie O

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Okay, yesterday the pack straps were rubbing my shoulders wrong too. I see several complaints about that issue, and I think I have a solution. I'll try it today and report back tonight...
    Details please. Specifically the model and year of the pack.

MMcG, you have an older pack I have not seen in person, so I'll have check if that has the same harness system being currently used with the Hyper Series Packs.

Eddie O

mtbr member
    Details please. Specifically the model and year of the pack.

MMcG, you have an older pack I have not seen in person, so I'll have check if that has the same harness system being currently used with the Hyper Series Packs.

Eddie O
    Eddie - yep I have the Enduro model - seems to have slightly different straps and venting on the back (I don't think it has the newer air channels).

I'm pleased by the weight and it certainly can hold a lot of stuff if necessary, but if not, then it can be sinched up with the draw string thing (for lack of a better word for it). I also think I'll be fine routing a reservoir hose up and over the shoulder strap like I did with my older Camelbak.

I plan to give it another test ride tonight.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Eddie - yep I have the Enduro model - seems to have slightly different straps and venting on the back (I don't think it has the newer air channels).

I'm pleased by the weight and it certainly can hold a lot of stuff if necessary, but if not, then it can be sinched up with the draw string thing (for lack of a better word for it). I also think I'll be fine routing a reservoir hose up and over the shoulder strap like I did with my older Camelbak.

I plan to give it another test ride tonight.
    It also does not have the WingPocket design like the newer ones, which as Bush would say "is very disfortunate." You'll still get the benefits of the Lowrider Harness though...

I use the under the arm hose routing and it works well. The mouthpiece stays close to my chest and does not get as dirty as if it were hanging over my shoulder nor does it drip on my leg like some others....but to each their own, which is why you can route it either way. I would suggest shortening the hose a bit if you route the cable under the arm, so it does not hook on the saddle when pushing the bike....not that I ever do that

Eddie O

mtbr member
    It also does not have the WingPocket design like the newer ones, which as Bush would say "is very disfortunate." You'll still get the benefits of the Lowrider Harness though...

I use the under the arm hose routing and it works well. The mouthpiece stays close to my chest and does not get as dirty as if it were hanging over my shoulder nor does it drip on my leg like some others....but to each their own, which is why you can route it either way. I would suggest shortening the hose a bit if you route the cable under the arm, so it does not hook on the saddle when pushing the bike....not that I ever do that

Eddie O
    Mine has side pockets - maybe just not as nice as the new ones?

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Mine has side pockets - maybe just not as nice as the new ones?
    The difference is that the Enduro has zippered entries to the main/central pocket versus the Hyper Series which has 3 seperate pockets, the one main/central pocket and the two Wingpockets. You can still access your stuff, but it's a little less organized. Still, it's a comfy and sturdy pack.

Eddie O

You are exactly who these packs are being tailored to. If we (99.9% Scott Gibson, Wingnut Conductor) can create a pack that is comfortable and sturdy enough for epic rides, then a pack for 1 hour jaunts should come easy.

I don't follow you here. Why are the straps getting twisted in the first place? What is a KT ride? What is a IOW?

My initial opinion would be to go just a little larger to accommodate the flask or sunglasses, but others use that pocket for Ipods and GPSs....so we'll think on that a bit more. I've been putting the flask in a WingPocket, just make sure it's closed or you'll have a mess on your hands...literally.

Glad to hear it and please keep the feedback coming. This is where improvements come from. We don't have a room full of engineers or worse yet marketing types coming up with ideas. Scott designs and manufactures.....you and I test....he improves....we test...the cycle goes on. As our riding evolves, so should our equipment. Please let me know what kind of weight and water capacity you end up going with.

Thanks for the feedback,

Eddie O
    Ok cool, I just didn't want to come across as a Negative Nelly on the thing because I do like it but I am pushing the limits I suppose.

The shoulder/neck straps tend to get twisted easily if you take the pack off and put it back on as will frequently happen on epics even with the convenient wing pockets (adding water, getting clothes out, etc.). So if you're not extra careful (time!) when you're putting the pack on you're left struggling to fix that, possibly with full fingered gloves on, in a hurry, etc. If you don't fix it obviously it's uncomfortable. Pardon the comparison but when I pick up the Camelback HAWG and throw it on, the straps are exactly in the position I need them right away. I think it's due to the padding (extra weight of course) and the additional stiffness that padding gives the straps.

KT = Kokopelli Trail, IOW = In Other Words.

The mesh carrying pocket could be used for a variety of things depending on the person so it certainly could be difficult to satisfy all. Maybe rather than making it so tight at the top so things don't fall out, add the same pull cord process that is on the wing pockets? Not sure. But I like having that strap pocket available for sure, it's a good thing to have.

Bladder tube routing has been discussed and I agree that an over the shoulder process still works better for me. An optional routing would be easy to implement I imagine.

Finally, I have not confirmed this but I suspect the straps may be slipping a bit during the course of rough rides. The material seems more slippery as well as narrower than on my other pack so that might be why. Again I know that you all are trying to balance light weight with durability and comfort.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input!!

Incidentally, when I get the note from MTBR in my e-mail about this thread it says "My new favorite pie..." funny :-)

Ed E

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Ok cool, I just didn't want to come across as a Negative Nelly on the thing because I do like it but I am pushing the limits I suppose.
    Actually the KT (now that I know what that means) is a future goal of mine, so thanks for pushing the limits.

The shoulder/neck straps tend to get twisted easily if you take the pack off and put it back on as will frequently happen on epics even with the convenient wing pockets (adding water, getting clothes out, etc.). So if you're not extra careful (time!) when you're putting the pack on you're left struggling to fix that, possibly with full fingered gloves on, in a hurry, etc. If you don't fix it obviously it's uncomfortable. Pardon the comparison but when I pick up the Camelback HAWG and throw it on, the straps are exactly in the position I need them right away. I think it's due to the padding (extra weight of course) and the additional stiffness that padding gives the straps.
    I think I understand what you are saying now, but I do not tend to remove my pack all that much, so I haven't had these issues. I just did a 100 miler and took it off once for a bladder refill. I think you are correct in that the stiffer/more padded straps would hold their shape better and you will have an easier time getting the pack situated correctly.

Maybe rather than making it so tight at the top so things don't fall out, add the same pull cord process that is on the wing pockets? ......
    Not a bad idea and I'll pass that along.

Bladder tube routing has been discussed and I agree that an over the shoulder process still works better for me. An optional routing would be easy to implement I imagine.
    You can go over or under the shoulder on all of the Hyper Series models and many of the older ones too.

Finally, I have not confirmed this but I suspect the straps may be slipping a bit during the course of rough rides. The material seems more slippery as well as narrower than on my other pack so that might be why. Again I know that you all are trying to balance light weight with durability and comfort.
    Make sure the straps are routed through all the possible ...uhhh...strap holders. I had this issue on one ride, but had the straps loose and flopping about from letting others try it on. Once I routed the straps through all the harness straps, I didn't have an issue. ...then again you are carrying a lot of weight and that could be the causing the straps to slip as well. If you have one position you know you like (ie you are not changing the position of the pack based on the load you are carrying) you could wrap a bit of duct tape around the strap to eliminate the slippage as well. Please let me know more about the slipping issue though, there could be something to change in the future.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input!!

Incidentally, when I get the note from MTBR in my e-mail about this thread it says "My new favorite pie..." funny :-)

Ed E
    ....nice.

Eddie O

Nat
    mtbr member

Okay, are y'all paying attention? Nat's solution to chafing shoulder straps

$4.99/ea. faux sheepskin seatbelt pads from the auto parts store! So soft I can tilt my head to the side and take a nap!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Whoop, had to straighten out the pads a bit...

mtbr member
    Nice improvisation Nat!

And you can always remove and throw it in the was sho it doesn't get funky smellin.

Ha! That's great. I knew you'd have the solution. I wouldn't sweat much under that layer either ....could double as a neck warmer in winter riding :-)

I think I'll stick with the current design for now, at least until it cools down.

mtbr member
    keep the Faux-Sheepskin away from FauxShizzle.

I'm sure wingnut want's to be able to say "no fake animals were violated during the testing of this product"

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i've been using a 3.0 for a few months now as well. love it! it's a bit smaller in overall capacity than my prior camelbak rim runner, but infinately more comfortable.

shouldn't be an issue even on long haul rides, methinks. we'll see on some of the longer high up jaunts to come later this summer. the rim runner wass great in that i had mucho room for a second bladder if wanted/needed. if i do need ot carry more than its capacity, i'll figure out a way to add more pockets, rather than go back to the less comfortable camelbak!

mods:
    i've attached a small extra pocket up top of the main one to keep my shell in separate from everything else; still keeps it nice and low weight and size wise, and frees up more space in the main pocket.

key clip just inside the main pocket, below the top of the zipper line. it's just one of those super tiny carabiner things that i sewed onto the large reinforced seam. works well, and i don't have any worry about the keys accidentally coming out while rumaging around for other stuff.

got a leatherman micro tool, and a micro mag light that mini clip onto the bottom of the upper shoulder strap adjuster/load adjuster strap (whatever it's called) that then sit inside a lateral strap on the right shoulder strap. just below is my bike specific mini tool in it's pouch. velcroed and zip tied on. the left shoulder has the camera bag attached. all this stuff stays safely tucked away below my underams. never rubs the wrong way, stays on tightly, doesn't flop around, has not caused any problems while wrecking or riding.

also one of those mini compass/thermometer things, and a chapstick holder are on the straps. everything sits securely, and out of the way.

and none of it interferes with the sternum strap whistle. i'd throw some pics up, but am at work right now.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i've been thinking of something like that, but with a timbuk2 messenger bag strap pad. cut the thing in half, seal up the ends, and velcro it in place.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5