Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    giddy up!

My new favorite piece of gear: Wingnut Hyper 3

I'll start by saying that I'm a fan of large hydration packs. I don't really like drinking from bottles and I like long rides......that being the case, I've tried quite a few hydration packs over the years.

A typical ride for me had me carrying a 100oz of water, 5-7 gu's, 2-3 bars, 1-2 tubes, pump, mini tool, a small bag of masterlinks and common bolt sizes, knee warmers, upper body clothing layer, and a change of gloves.

For a longer ride throw in more food, a water filter and more clothes. No matter how you slice it that adds up to alot of stuff. With every hydration pack I've ever used I've wound up with an overstuffed sausage on my back that shifts alot and carries the weight directly on my shoulders.

A few months back I tried Endomaniac's Wingnut.....by tried it I mean stood in his kitchen and jumped around. However, I could tell that there was something unique and noteworthy about the packs so I picked one up.

It's awesome.

This thing will swallow a cubic ton of stuff. I'd be hard pressed to fill this thing to it's capacity on a one day ride in nice weather. It carries everything really low on your back....the result is awesome. The pack basically disappears....you kinda forget it's there.

The wing pockets are probably the coolest feature. They wrap halfway around your waist giving you 2 pockets per side that are accessable while riding. There's a mesh pocket that I use for food and there's a zippered pocket that I use for arm/knee warmers.

Best feature.....a mesh pocket on the strap that is the perfect size to hold an Ipod mini.

For the record: I have no affiliation with Wingnut......I just figured some of you might be interested in these things.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donkey; 04-16-2006 at 07:58 PM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I'm getting to know the 2.5 version. So far it's been pretty good. I like the easy-access side pouches but the under-the-arm hose routing did not work for me at all. The loop of hose kept getting snagged on stuff or bouncing off of my thigh on every pedalstroke, and I had difficulty using the round bite valve effectively. I swapped it for a Camelbak hose/bite valve and now route it over-the-shoulder via the mesh tunnel and it seems to work.

Witty McWitterson
    I'm getting the shop I work at to carry them. I tried on ozlongboraders last year for a bit and was completely sold. And I hate Hydro packs. I've been a dedicated bottle drinker for years. I've tried several packs, but they're all so damned uncomfortable.
    Just a regular guy.

breathing helium
    Thanks for the heads up Donkey. I've been wishing there existed a better alternative to the Camelback Mule that I have. As stuffed as it gets on most rides, it ends up feeling like a scuba tank on my back. It ends up riding in the middle of my back with the weight on my upper shoulder area. I'm going to try the Wingnut for sure!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    Thanks for the heads up Donkey. I've been wishing there existed a better alternative to the Camelback Mule that I have. As stuffed as it gets on most rides, it ends up feeling like a scuba tank on my back. It ends up riding in the middle of my back with the weight on my upper shoulder area. I'm going to try the Wingnut for sure!
    I've noticed that a lot of people end up using their Camelbaks set real low on the back anyway. The lumbar positioning really does hide the weight you're carrying better than a highback pack. I had a Camelbak Hipster (aka Bandito) fannypack-style water bag back in the mid-90's that also carried the weight at the lumbar level. It did not have a decent harness over the shoulders and as such would allow the pack to annoyingly slide down over my rump unless I had the waistbelt tightened up so much that I couldn't bend forward or breathe. The Wingnut harness works well.

One downside I discovered last week is that with a lumbar pack, I don't have a nice, big, watery cushion on which to land when I go over the bars. I have a nice scrape on my thoracic area now.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I'm getting to know the 2.5 version. So far it's been pretty good. I like the easy-access side pouches but the under-the-arm hose routing did not work for me at all. The loop of hose kept getting snagged on stuff or bouncing off of my thigh on every pedalstroke, and I had difficulty using the round bite valve effectively. I swapped it for a Camelbak hose/bite valve and now route it over-the-shoulder via the mesh tunnel and it seems to work.
    Your Hyper 2.5 seems to be the same width as the 3.0 just shorter? Is that the model that uses the square bladder?

How are the shoulder straps attached to the 2.5....1 piece of webbing or 2?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Your Hyper 2.5 seems to be the same width as the 3.0 just shorter? Is that the model that uses the square bladder?

How are the shoulder straps attached to the 2.5....1 piece of webbing or 2?

B
    Yes, it's the square bladder model, and the back has two straps. It looks like the 3.0 but shorter. It still seems cavernous though. tberg razzed me by saying, "Nice duffel bag!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hey, that's my mutt!

Nice duffel bag by the way.

Good job!

Just got back from Fruita and testing my new Wingnut 3.0 on long rides.

For the most part the pack is great. At first I had it adjusted too low but once I fixed that it nestled itself comfortably in the small of my back and disappeared. I am using my Camelback 100 oz. bladder and it fits well and the hose routing that I figured out works fine. The pack holds quite a bit of stuff but I have not tried "overstuffing" it yet for some of my expedition type rides. My favorite thing are the "wing" pockets both mesh and zippered. It is so nice to be able to put stuff within reach while you ride and not have to stop to pull things out. The zippers work so well that I can comfortably reach back and unzip the wing pocket and grab something out of there too. But most quick grab stuff will be in the mesh. I did not use the draw cord on the back to hold anything. I also like that the main pocket is water proof so If I need to protect something from rain or snow (I-Pod) I can throw it in there.

One thing did bother me a bit. I don't think the shoulder straps are quite as comfortable as my Camelback HAWG's. There is no padding (thus the WN is really light) and I felt the straps dug in just a bit and I noticed a bit if fatigue up there but not bad. Also as a result of the straps being lighter in build I can't seem to swing the WN onto my shoulders quite as swiftly and surely as my CB. I found myself searching for the straps in order to get the pack on - but this is a quibble.

Overall I am pleased. The pack is pretty darn expensive though so I was a bit worried about the investment.

Ed E

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Which pack will I need for a 40 min. romp through Whiting Ranch?

mtbr member
    Donkey, where'd you get it? I've been wanting one of these... anyone in Socal carry them, or do i have to order direct?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    Donkey, where'd you get it? I've been wanting one of these... anyone in Socal carry them, or do i have to order direct?
    Yeah, I just ordered off of their website.....www.wingnutgear.com

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This should be sufficient Padre.

what a joke
    Been loving my 3.0 for almost a year now. Wider or padded starps would be a nice option for long rides when the pack is jammed full.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Padre, All of the trails here are loop trails that are 10 miles max. I use the Assualt. It holds a CO2 pump/tube, Crank Bros 19 tool w/ chain breaker, and a couple of links. I use a Camelback 35oz bladder in it and so far it has been great. You can also get the older "NewSun" version for like 30 bucks in the closeout section of the site. That is what I went with works well. Later on, JC
    On one gear fixed or free is where I want to be.....

Gold Member
    My friend has been talking about these packs for about a year. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it so much, it makes thinking about buying one a little easier to consider.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    X Shop Hand -
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC Nomad V1
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Been loving my 3.0 for almost a year now. Wider or padded starps would be a nice option for long rides when the pack is jammed full.
    Agreed on the straps. I'm going to try and figure something out for the them.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, the pack was very stable even over rough and tumble trails. I tried the sternum strap but like with the CB quit using it as it restricts breathing too much IMO, but I did not miss it from a stability perspective.

Ed E

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I tried to tell you had to really use it to understand its value.

I couldn't deal with the low hose mounting, I seemed to snag the hose on everything in site particularly my seat getting on and off the bike. Once I converted to a more conventional hose routing set up everything was grand. Have you gotten over the waist belt issue?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    . Have you gotten over the waist belt issue?
    I'm getting used to it....Once I'm riding I forget all about it....but when I put the thing on and snug up the belt it's still a little weird.

Now that I think about it..I've cut the waist belt off of every hydration pack I've ever owned.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Thanks for the great review and input from other users. This system has just been added to my list and shall be purchased for the upcoming epic riding season (right after I buy some more baggy shorts so you guys don't have to continue to see me in those ugly blue-ish Nema's that are now my sole pair).

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

what a joke
    and one other thing..... the mouthpiece is brown with the supplied bladder, anything brown is very hard to find in the under growth.... my hose got hooked on a branch and it yanked the mouthpiece off, 5 guys 10min and we could not find it.
    blah blah blah

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    and one other thing..... the mouthpiece is brown with the supplied bladder, anything brown is very hard to find in the under growth.... my hose got hooked on a branch and it yanked the mouthpiece off, 5 guys 10min and we could not find it.
    The newer one is blue, but still fairly dark in color. Since Wingnut does not manufacture the bladders, hoses & mouth pieces (yet) they have limited control over those details at this time.

...so adding a brightly colored mouth peice to the future improvements list.

Eddie O

Bodhisattva
    Been using a Wingnut Hyper 3.0 since shortly after I-Bike 04.

Great pack for all of the above mentioned reasons.
    And I agree with the negatives of the thin straps & house routing.

Not much can be done post-purchase about the straps, but long ago I routed the hose up and over the shoulder in a more conventional manner which works great.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    I bought their Enduro pack on Clearance, but I've yet to use it. I hope it works out well for me though. I used to wear a camelbak and I sweat like a mofo as it is - I'm hoping the lower back placement of the Wingnut pack will help cool me down a bit on my back. We'll see once things get warmer here in Connecticut how effective it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I bought their Enduro pack on Clearance, but I've yet to use it. I hope it works out well for me though. I used to wear a camelbak and I sweat like a mofo as it is - I'm hoping the lower back placement of the Wingnut pack will help cool me down a bit on my back. We'll see once things get warmer here in Connecticut how effective it is.

Warmer? how much warmer do you need it to be here? lol

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast