Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My new Cannondale Carbon Flash 29er 2

Got it on Friday! Rode twice over the weekend with long climbs and some fast decent single track and fire roads. All I can say is WOW. Im 5' 7" on a long day. Im coming from a Trek Fuel Ex 9 FS. Yes, the difference is night and day and yes I know Im comparing apples and oranges, but if your in my boat (coming from a FS and trying to decide on FS or HT 29er), hopefully this helps. I was hesitant on going back to a HT. THought about waiting on the Scapel 29er, but I went ahead a bit the bullet, and Im glad I did. THis bike is fast and climbs extremely well. Point and it goes. Pedal and it goes. And the momentum is awesome. THe only time I felt the pros of a FS, is when I was decending over rough and fast terrain. However, it didnt feel like I was going to lose control or anything, just felt it a little and thats it. OTher than that, my Flash and the Pro's of an HT excelled 10 fold everywhere else. My trek felt like it wanted to drift to the outside also on the fast decents in a turn/ curve. My flash just went where ever I pointed it. Climbing? no comparison. And standing! You can stand on this bike in steep climbs and it goes and when you sit back into a spin it keeps going. On my trek, standing sucked and as soon as I sat to spin, it seemed like I lost any momentum at all- again, I know, it FS trail bike, so it would be expected. Also through the switchback decents, I really didnt feel a difference at all as far as that ABP went. THe rear felt the same. Maybe, Ive just learned to brake correctly. I got skilz! LOL Anyways, Im really loving this beast so far. Also, new to me is the 2 x 10. Like it a lot as well! Oh yeah and lets not forget the lefty- sweet. Also, not sure if its the SAVE or my tire set up, but it is cushy for a HT. Im set up tubeless, 20 psi in the rear and 18 psi in the front. Well, thats it
    Last edited by leathernuts; 07-18-2011 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Pics?

Congrats! Have any pics?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not the best pic. Had just got it home as you can see the LBS platform pedals still on it and a lot of clutter in the background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Cannondale Carbon Flash 29er 2-canflashcarb29er2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 417brobinson View Post
    Congrats! Have any pics?
    oh yeah, THanks

AZ
    banned
    Congrats, that is a seriously wicked ride. I'm jealous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Congrats, that is a seriously wicked ride. I'm jealous.
    Well, I wont lie, sold a lot of stuff to get it. 08' Fuel Ex $1400, Volant intake off my Tundra $140, $200 in bday cash, Some nice Dumbells for $400 and there was something else but cant remember and kissing the wifes butt LOL. Anyways, it was worth it!

On a funny note, forgot to mention I got sprayed by a skunk yesterday on the ride, but I must of got hit late, because it wasnt all over. A few spots on my right leg, one water bottle and my one tiny spot on my bib shorts. I litterally picked up my bike a smelled/ sniffed the whole bike to see if it hit my new baby and nothing- whew I was glad lol

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Dude, nice fertilizer spreader. That thing's wicked. What are those, some sort of fancy carbon-composite wheels?

Oh yeah...nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ace! That is a beautiful bike and glad to hear it rides as well as it looks. I just ordered a 3 last Friday and should be getting it this week. Pretty fired up for it!....I also considered the 29er scalpel too (maybe next year!).

Looks like you have a nice road machine there too. I have a Six carbon and I love it

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    Ace! That is a beautiful bike and glad to hear it rides as well as it looks. I just ordered a 3 last Friday and should be getting it this week. Pretty fired up for it!....I also considered the 29er scalpel too (maybe next year!).

Looks like you have a nice road machine there too. I have a Six carbon and I love it
    Yup, Six Carbon 1. Actually that the best way I can describe my Flash, it feels like Im on my road bike in dirt as far as the efficiency. You're going to love it!

On the other item, Im going to forward my buddy your email. I already called him and he will get back to you this eveneing! Hope it works out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ah Nice! Actually, I'm very pleased at the way you described that, because the way my carbon six rides is what caused me to want an off road version

Thanks for your help on the post

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Single leg forks are still so strange looking to me. But, in a good way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got the non carbon version and love it. I was hesitant cuz it was out of my budget nut I'm so happy I splurged. Love the lefty and the 29er way of life! Enjoy it.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastedSorbet View Post
    Single leg forks are still so strange looking to me. But, in a good way.
    I agree, but it would look like just another HT 29er any other way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    When I mentioned my new bike order to a few friends on a ride last night, the reaction was: "Cannondale? Are they still doing that weird fork?". (there don't seem to be that many Cannondales over here in the UK) but I really like the fact that the lefty makes the bike a bit different from all the others.

smell my finger
    Mar 2008
    Get some, nice ride

Go Hard, Or Go Home
    Mar 2010
    Hi Leathernuts

I've got a Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2 Red and love it tremendously. I've also got a Santa Cruz TRc. But right now i'm in the market for a fast 29er Hardtail. Cannondale go on and on about it's "Speed Save" micro suspension. Have you noticed it being more comfortable than other bikes you've tried? Some reviews I have read say that it's as good as a short travel FS race bike. If I would buy one i'd probably go for the (2012) Cannondale Flash 29er Carbon 2 w/ SRAM X0. It would match my current SuperSix perfectly in the garage!

Also, do you have a total bike weight for yours? I'm 6'3" so even though i'm saving a few grams through the X0 over your X9 it would probably be around the same because of the extra material in the frame.

And overall, how are you liking the bike now? You've had it close to 6 months now, so what else can you tell me about the bike? And hows the tubeless going? I was going to use a Stans NoTubes kit?

Regards,

Edward

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSwan View Post
    Hi Leathernuts

I've got a Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2 Red and love it tremendously. I've also got a Santa Cruz TRc. But right now i'm in the market for a fast 29er Hardtail. Cannondale go on and on about it's "Speed Save" micro suspension. Have you noticed it being more comfortable than other bikes you've tried? Some reviews I have read say that it's as good as a short travel FS race bike. If I would buy one i'd probably go for the (2012) Cannondale Flash 29er Carbon 2 w/ SRAM X0. It would match my current SuperSix perfectly in the garage!

Also, do you have a total bike weight for yours? I'm 6'3" so even though i'm saving a few grams through the X0 over your X9 it would probably be around the same because of the extra material in the frame.

And overall, how are you liking the bike now? You've had it close to 6 months now, so what else can you tell me about the bike? And hows the tubeless going? I was going to use a Stans NoTubes kit?

Regards,

Edward
    First off, I LOVE THIS THING! It is phenomenal! Did 20.6 miles yesterday mostly serious climbing and it is just great. Stiff for power transfer when you need it. Stiff on the off camber downhill sigle track. Point and shoot basically. Keep in mind, I came off of a Trek Fuel 9 (almost a 5" FS bike)

I ran tubeless before and in my mind it is the only way. I run my rear at 23-24 and the front at 20. Im 5' 7" 155. I tried lower pressures, but I felt like the bike got bouncy over rougher terrain. THese pressure work for me. So low tire pressure combined with Speed save? Yes, it does soak up the bumps. I have not found myself missing full suspension. In fact, yesterday, I swapped bikes with my buddy on a fire road decent (his being FS) and did not feel a difference. NOw off course, if we were hitting drops, I know I would notice for sure, but for fast xc, I think FS is overrated when compared to the efficiency you gain on a hard tail and a light one at that.

Well specs say 21.9 lbs. I never weighed but probably should.

The only problem I have experienced is chain suck. ITs a known problem. If you notice, the 2012 use SRAM now. My lbs is taking care of it though.

Go Hard, Or Go Home
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    First off, I LOVE THIS THING! It is phenomenal! Did 20.6 miles yesterday mostly serious climbing and it is just great. Stiff for power transfer when you need it. Stiff on the off camber downhill sigle track. Point and shoot basically. Keep in mind, I came off of a Trek Fuel 9 (almost a 5" FS bike)

I ran tubeless before and in my mind it is the only way. I run my rear at 23-24 and the front at 20. Im 5' 7" 155. I tried lower pressures, but I felt like the bike got bouncy over rougher terrain. THese pressure work for me. So low tire pressure combined with Speed save? Yes, it does soak up the bumps. I have not found myself missing full suspension. In fact, yesterday, I swapped bikes with my buddy on a fire road decent (his being FS) and did not feel a difference. NOw off course, if we were hitting drops, I know I would notice for sure, but for fast xc, I think FS is overrated when compared to the efficiency you gain on a hard tail and a light one at that.

Well specs say 21.9 lbs. I never weighed but probably should.

The only problem I have experienced is chain suck. ITs a known problem. If you notice, the 2012 use SRAM now. My lbs is taking care of it though.
    The MTB i'd be coming off of would be my Santa Cruz TRc, which is a 130mm travel trail bike, so where coming from similar angles. I'm 6'3" and 170lbs so i'd probably need slightly higher tubeless pressures than you. I'm thinking maybe 30 in the rear and 26 in the front. I'm running my current "tubed" set up at 45 psi for trial riding and 60 psi for racing. So for tubeless those pressures sound right.

21.9 lbs sounds a bit average for a high end 26" bike but that is respectively light for a 29" bike. Especially considering the extra weight in the frame, fork, and wheels.

Hopefully, I can get a test ride on the Flash I want. That should give me an idea of what suspension characteristics i'd be dealing with. Would you say that a Flash 29 would be a suitable bike for a 24hr race, as that is one of the main reasons I want a race 29er Hardtail bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSwan View Post
    The MTB i'd be coming off of would be my Santa Cruz TRc, which is a 130mm travel trail bike, so where coming from similar angles. I'm 6'3" and 170lbs so i'd probably need slightly higher tubeless pressures than you. I'm thinking maybe 30 in the rear and 26 in the front. I'm running my current "tubed" set up at 45 psi for trial riding and 60 psi for racing. So for tubeless those pressures sound right.

21.9 lbs sounds a bit average for a high end 26" bike but that is respectively light for a 29" bike. Especially considering the extra weight in the frame, fork, and wheels.

Hopefully, I can get a test ride on the Flash I want. That should give me an idea of what suspension characteristics i'd be dealing with. Would you say that a Flash 29 would be a suitable bike for a 24hr race, as that is one of the main reasons I want a race 29er Hardtail bike.
    My buddy who is a die hard competitive racer has the Carbon Flash 29er 1. Let me ask his thoughts and get back you on that one

as far as tire pressures, I think you could go lower, but if and when you get it, experiment with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    He said it really depends on the rider and your level of comfort desired. I take it to mean that yes, this is a comfortable hard tail, no doubt, but not a FS by no means. Also, he mentioned it really depends on the course.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    carbon 2 comes with an alloy lefty now?

Go Hard, Or Go Home
    Mar 2010
    He said it really depends on the rider and your level of comfort desired. I take it to mean that yes, this is a comfortable hard tail, no doubt, but not a FS by no means. Also, he mentioned it really depends on the course.
    Yes, I can imagine. I think this could be my next bike, i'm debating between the Carbon 2 (XO w/ Alloy Lefty) or the Carbon 1 (XTR w/ Carbon Lefty). I think it's only a $500 difference so I think I might go for the Carbon 1.

Thanks for your help.

Go Hard, Or Go Home
    Mar 2010
    carbon 2 comes with an alloy lefty now?
    Yeah, the 2012 one comes with the normal "alloy" lefty while the 2012 Carbon 1 comes with the full Left Carbon XLR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah I just saw that. I wonder what the weight difference there is if much. Mine (2011) came with the carbon lefty. Make sure and post pics when you get it! Youll love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast