Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

My New Blacksheep St Highlight 29er

I finally experience what you all been talking about on this forum. I do have to admitt that i was very much against the 29er thing but i put my one track mind aside and bought one. I will have to say i had alot on fun and have never gone so fast on two wheels. This bike climbs everything i through at it and takes of like a ferrai.The ST HIGHLIGHT that i build is just under 24 pounds which made me very happy. James at BlackSheep Cycles was excellent he truly knows customer service. Thanks to all of you for the great knowledge that you have provided on the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Looks great brother,

Can't wait to ride that bad boy this weekend. BTW John I forgot to tell you that Miles is coming down to Lynn Woods on Sunday so that I can ride his Sultan..Bike looks great congrats. CF..

mtbr member

Nice ride!

If I were ever to go full sussy again it would be with this ride! Nice build..Ride report? Hows it feel. Climbing, Descending????

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks dosboy the bike is the **** . Still playing with the rearshock but other wise the bike is awesome climbs great descends great. The bike is supper plush and fast. I would reccomend this bike to anyone who is looking for a full suspension 29er.

mtbr member

Looking

forward to some ride pics/reports..Keep us posted..Ride On Man!! BTW what wa the wait time like for that steed? How busy is james these days?

mtbr member
    Very Lovely Bike, just one quick question.
    It looks from the photos (although it is hard to tell). That the flex plate is welded to the bottom bracket shell a la Funk or Castellano, rather than bolted to it a la Siren Cycles. I thought this design was going to be bolted, which would have made for a wonderful SS or possibly even belt drive as the chain could have been tensioned through the bolts.
    Care to comment?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I past on that was not going to make the bike single speed. Dosboy it was 8 weeks for the wait not bad james said wait times will be 6 to 8 weeks.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    ....I will have to say i had alot on fun and have never gone so fast on two wheels. This bike climbs everything i through at it and takes of like a ferrai.The ST HIGHLIGHT that i build is just under 24 pounds which made me very happy.
    That's what we all hope for in a custom builder. The man does build beautiful bikes and this one is definitely one of them. Congrats.

James at BlackSheep Cycles was excellent he truly knows customer service. ....
    Well, I wouldn't go that far.... but he builds really nice bikes anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did you have problem with him

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, incredible bike. How much rear travel? 3"?

Great frame - love the lines, great fork, great wheels. I'm jealous!
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It has 4 inches of travel thanks.

mtbr member
    Wow great bike.
    Are you on the east coast? Where?

feel the Force
    Did you have problem with him
    many...
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Wowzers- that is just gorgeous.
    I'd love to hear some ride reports and about the suspension travel.
    Congrats on such a beauty!
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes i am in Mass. The bike rides great the travel work better then i thought very plush. The bike is super fast and handles very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

single speed

I believe I have seen pictures of this bike with bolts coupling the chainstay to the flexplate with enough adjustment to tension the chain. Couple other side benefits to the bolts-the rear triangle can be separated from the front allowing the whole bike to be packed small as a travel bike, plus, a belt can slipped on instead of a chain, in case you want to try belt drive.

mtbr member
    I finally experience what you all been talking about on this forum. I do have to admitt that i was very much against the 29er thing but i put my one track mind aside and bought one.

First off, the bike is top notch.

However, I think it need be said that for someone that "was very much against the 29er thing" to take the leap by buying this bike...w.t.f...am I to assume do don't do anything half a**?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had them do it with out was not going to use it as a single speed or travel with it.But you are right it does come that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Any Bob??

Yes i am in Mass. The bike rides great the travel work better then i thought very plush. The bike is super fast and handles very well.
    Does it "bob" at all when pedaling? Seated/Standing....Propedal/Wide Open?

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Post some trail pics of it. Like to see that rear shock in action. I am having hard time trying to picture it working.
    Life, liberty and the pursuit of singletrack.

try driving your car less
    hey if you ever come ride down on the cape at otis with that thing, PM me and maybe we can ride. i would love to check that out in person.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No i have not felt any bob what so ever. You don't use conventional setting to set rear shock. I have it set to half my weight and seems work good there. ATXSS I guess you can say that i went in head first on this one . Thank god i love the bike! JH on THE CAPE i heard otis is a great place to ride i will pm you if we go .
    Last edited by ncig; 07-10-2008 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member

And you know what the goods news is?

I get to ride this puppie tomorrow.Nah nah nah nah .Truth be told I'm very curious to how this thing rides..CF...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    SO, what happened to the basic understanding that a low pivot is bad, pedaling induced, bouncy ju ju? The idea being, that the pivot should be as inline with the top of the chainring as it can be to keep pedaling forces from trying to compress the shock?

I can understand it on a 1" travel softtail, but 4"? Was the old way of thinking wrong or is this just more koolaid in action?

I love the idea and the execution...so clean and simple, but what gives here? Is Pro Pedal the magic bullet?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would have to say the halt plate that connects the chainstays to front triangle . The bike has like no bob and the rp23 helps alot to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast