TRACKDADDY

My new Black Sheep ST Highlight...

Here is my new 4 inch rear travel pivotless Black Sheep ST Highlight! James has done a few of these here lately and I absolutely love it!! I couldn't have asked for more from James! He delivered exactly as promised! I had James design this frame around the new 09 120mm Reba w/ Maxle lite just waiting to get my hands on one now should have my new I9 Enduro front wheel in a week or two and in the mean time I might throw a 130mm WB Fluid on to get a feel for the longer travel.... Gotta love custom as there are always a few little quirks and nuances but I wouldn't trade it for anything!! Can't find my final CAD with all of the numbers as I change a few things around at the last moment but doesn't matter as it rides like a dream and fits like a glove!!!

I know I know my work bench is a mess, story of my life.....

James let me trade in my old S&S Highlight for the new ST Hightlight, pretty cool huh!

Here is a link to all of my pictures of the build up.

Just to creep ya'll out
    Last edited by Brandon448; 07-19-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    "On yere Bike!!!!",

Brandon Lockwood, KCH Inc.
    Track Daddy Blog

breathing helium
    Sweet Brandon! It looks great! I can only imagine how amazingly it rides. I know what a master James is. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    how long does it take james to kick these fames and forks out? seems like there is a lot of BS stuff on here lately...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    smooooooth like butter.

Dayum. Brandon, your frames makes me want to sell all my 26ers, and my cross so I can get another Blacksheep. Hmmm....do I really need a DH and a XC when I can have another BS.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Holy she uhhhh!!! Beautiful....Let us know how she rides!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does it fit in an airline case?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    nice bike! what head-tube angle did you go with for the new reba @120mm?

Trophy Husband
    Looks flexy.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Congrats i love mine you are really going to love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is my fs dream bike at the moment....dont know when will i have the dosh to get it....coz all my dosh have been transfered to my rigid dream bike im waiting to arrive soon...

nicey nice bs...

mtbr member
    Very nice, Brandon. I thought long and hard about that bike before I ordered my Stellar from James. That will probably be the next one I get from him.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thought you might like to see where your old frame ended up. This was Crested Butte, CO
    earlier this week.bike in CB.jpg

C bike2.jpg

TRACKDADDY
    Quote Originally Posted by volkstech
    Thought you might like to see where your old frame ended up. This was Crested Butte, CO
    earlier this week.bike in CB.jpg

C bike2.jpg

WOW, Thanks volkstech! Enjoy her as much as I did she is truly a one of a kind! If you are wondering what the numbers on the bottom of the bb are it is the year made and the number that frame was made by James of that year a kind of serial number in case it ever got stolen...

Brandon
    "On yere Bike!!!!",

Brandon Lockwood, KCH Inc.
    Track Daddy Blog

mtbr member
    dude, that sheep is in the flowers that were right by my campsite yesterday. right on schofield pass right, just lower then emerald lake?

That is a cool bike, so elegant.

I have to confess, it sure seems like the rear end would be flexy as hell. Yet, I have a friend who rides a Funk with an identical design, and it works for him.

Enjoy!

Not smart enough to shift

Stunning...

I love the lines of this sheep. Looks like a perfect trail bike with beautiful lines. I hope she rides half as good as she looks.

Cheers,
    Andy

mtbr member

Detailed ride report

So someone needs to give us a detailed ride report about these things. It seems like it would be flexy in the rear..But would be nice to know if you can feel the flex..Also how much travel does a design like this truly allow? It says 4", but does it really move that much? Or is it more like 2" unless you hit a big drop? I really like the design and the look of it, If I were to get a full sussy ride it would probably be a generic version of one of these (over a 1000 bucks cheaper and pretty much the same design ti as well) but would be nice to know the ride quality...Owners ....fess up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Brandon, thanks for letting me know about the #'s on the bottom bracket. I have 3 other black sheeps and should mark them as well.
    Rollinon29s, Your absolutely right as to where it is. I took the pictures wed. evening during some showers.
    Pat

mtbr member
    Can we get some feedback on the ride of this sweet rig and how long is the TT?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    dosboy,

I think I saw you at the PCP10 last month, I was on the Generic ST, beautiful Jones btw. Initial impressions on the Black Sheep/Generic soft tail... I had Chris build my Generic with distance riding in mind, since getting the bike, I have race the CCP, Park City Perfect 10, and Leadville. The ride quality of the suspension design is SUPERB, with the pro pedal lockout, it is every bit as stiff as my Vulture hardtail, and climbs like no other. I am getting a legitimate 3 1/2" of active travel out of the suspension, 4 would be possible, but it would take a pretty hard shot to activate. (getting too old for big drops)... The travel is very smooth and supple, and sucks up trail chatter effortlessly, the bike is at it's best in swoopy, rolling singletrack. The only issue I have had is that the chainstay adjusting bolts loosened after a couple of rides and cocked the rear wheel. I locktited the bolts and haven't had a problem since. Since getting the Generic, my Scott Spark has not seen the outside of the garage, it is a blast to ride and has been the perfect bike for me.

mtbr member

Thanks

For the report, yeah I remember seeing your bike there, I talked to your wife about it and she let me "fondle"it. My bro is interested in purchasing one of these now, myself, in a year or so, my bro has had a hard time getting ahold of anyone at generic..You have any contact info? We should go ride some time and swap bikes, I'd like to try yours out

mtbr member

looks similar to mine:)

I think was the second soft tail James made. Awesome bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Nice stuff... I was wondering what happened to the hardtail that you had.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Damn... damn... that is sexy
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Now this framemaker guy has got some serious style.

Awesome looking machines <3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow

drooooool. Doesn't help Black Sheep is right here in town...put...credit..card......away.
    How much does she weigh?

mtbr member
    that is some sweet fabrication, fur shure! soooo........ how does it ride? steve.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    dammit, foraged through this thread several times just for the pics.

I've seen the old "newsboy" bikes by retro-tec and the like (wellt he early ones anyways) and I've always hated how the addition of rear suspension to the frame made it look.
    Neve looked like the whole thing had been made by the same person, AMP rear end on a titanium newsboy style front...

This bike looks right, the rear suspension isn't gaudy or sticks out like a sore thumb.
    There's a gentle caressing for the rear tubes and the top tube (like a lot of the original newsboy frames had) only instead of being welded solid there, there's a shock!

The fact that this light beauty has the same amount of suspension as my santa cruz blur 4x (which in comparison looks downright mechanically clunky) is somewhat distressing!
    Bikes this close to a perfect aesthetic shouldn't have that much squish!!
    They're always "softtails" with 1" shock in the tail!!

This thing's damn near perfect in every way, how disappointing for me cause I can't have one.
    Unless somone wants a santa cruz 4x frame and fork!

damn... beauty bike there.
    Last edited by byknuts; 08-18-2008 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Interesting bike. Please post full specs when found.
    Professional Amateur

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    OK. I have to take the word of the owners that say the rear sus works well. Fine. So what is going on? Remember the taboo of the pivot being low at the BB being bad juju? Why does it not bob around like a bunny when you pedal it? Pro pedal not withstanding.

Is it the natural resistance of the ti plate VS. a bushing/bearing with relatively little stiction?

Were we wrong all this time and the BB pivot is just dandy?

I don't get it.

But I sure would like to. Absolutely fantastic execution and if I had a dream bike, this would be it. The Merlin Newsboy was always a stunner to me. This is icing on a tasty cake.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    mtroy - there is no low pivot on this bike. Think of a hardtail with more " flex " in the chainstays.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    mtroy - there is no low pivot on this bike. Think of a hardtail with more " flex " in the chainstays.
    Um, yes there is a low pivot on that bike. It's focused directly behind the BB. On the narrowest point of the plate.

mtbr member
    I was thinking that a pivot implies movement around a bearing.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    I was thinking that a pivot implies movement around a bearing.
    Then call it an "imaginary" pivot, a "virtual" pivot, etc. Whatever you call it Mantawa is still correct that the center of the rotation for the suspension travel is below the bb

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I see, no matter how the axis of motion is described, I'd like to ride one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantawa
    I see, no matter how the axis of motion is described, I'd like to ride one!
    Me too! To me, that is a nearly perfect bike design

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    OK. I have to take the word of the owners that say the rear sus works well. Fine. So what is going on? Remember the taboo of the pivot being low at the BB being bad juju? Why does it not bob around like a bunny when you pedal it? Pro pedal not withstanding.

Is it the natural resistance of the ti plate VS. a bushing/bearing with relatively little stiction?

Were we wrong all this time and the BB pivot is just dandy?

I don't get it.

But I sure would like to. Absolutely fantastic execution and if I had a dream bike, this would be it. The Merlin Newsboy was always a stunner to me. This is icing on a tasty cake.
    The Black Sheep HALTS system requires a platform shock (like the RP23 with pro-pedal) to eliminate pedal induced bob,otherwise its ride would suffer from the type of bouncing that one would expect from older design softails that have far less travel and can't use platform shocks.
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser
    The Black Sheep HALTS system requires a platform shock (like the RP23 with pro-pedal) to eliminate pedal induced bob,otherwise its ride would suffer from the type of bouncing that one would expect from older design softails that have far less travel and can't use platform shocks.
    OK. Makes sense to me and I could live with that. I could see how it would work on 1" of travel with no pedal feedback, but the 4" deal had me wondering.

It still remains perhaps the bestest, cleanest, most envy inspiring ride I have seen to date, pedal induced warts and all.

I'll take one.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser

I had an RP23 on my Moots Cinco and never really felt like the ProPedal was doing what it should. I really liked the platform of the Manitou Minute MRD Fork much better-- a dial with about 12 settings versus just the 3 ..but that's a fork not a rear shock. Could the bike build with a different rear shock?

Members who have read this thread: 0