Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

My new Alpine Trail 29er

Finally bit the bullet and bought a new bike after riding my GT Palomar for the last 11 years. I tested quite a few bikes and settled on the Marin Alpine Trail 29er. The kicker is that I found it on ING Direct's online shop for over $200 cheaper (with a 15% off coupon) than any LBS. The catch? It's orange and has a small ING on the top tube. That being said -- I actually dig the orange/yellow color more than the stock red or black. And if saving 220 bucks means ING gets a little free advertising, so be it. I took a couple quick photos of the bike this evening. Hopefully it won't be quite so clean later this week.

I haven't ridden more than a few miles on it yet so I can't comment on how it handles a real trail, but I took a decent climb on a fire road this afternoon. I'm not sure whether it's simply the effect of riding newer technology, or if it's due to the bigger wheels, or whether it's all in my head but -- DAMN this thing can climb!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeah, I like those colors too. Looks good. Let us know how it handles the trails.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

gravity fighter
    I checked out the ING site, and that is a screaming deal. Do you need to have an account with them to get it?
    I wasn't impressed with the red Alpine I saw in REI, and I actually think that orange is a much nicer color. Something about a wild color and 29'rs seem to work :-)
    I'm looking forward to your ride report!

mtbr member
    nice ride.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito
    I checked out the ING site, and that is a screaming deal. Do you need to have an account with them to get it?
    I wasn't impressed with the red Alpine I saw in REI, and I actually think that orange is a much nicer color. Something about a wild color and 29'rs seem to work :-)
    I'm looking forward to your ride report!

No, you don't need an ING account to purchase the bike from their website. You do need an account if you want the extra 15% off though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Holy Moly dude! You got a steal! Good job. I don't suppose they put the ING logo under the clear coat so you can't pull it off, did they?

I got a feeling ING is going be selling a lot of those things.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    Holy Moly dude! You got a steal! Good job. I don't suppose they put the ING logo under the clear coat so you can't pull it off, did they?

I got a feeling ING is going be selling a lot of those things.

Unfortunately, no -- the decal is on there pretty good.

agu
    mtbr member
    that's a looker! You can always cover that ING logo with another sticker.

Now, we wait for upgrade-itis to kick in hehe

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice ride, enjoy

mtbr member
    May 2009

Post ride report

Took the bike on a 20 mile ride in to work this morning. About 50% was asphalt and 50% was trail. Overall I'm stoked. The tires grip pretty well, it climbs like a beast, and unless there's a boulder in front of me there isn't a whole lot these wheels can't roll over. I can't say I definitely tell a difference in "rolling resistance" over a standard 26" wheel, but I guess I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to really see. It also feels just a tad bit less nimble in the corners than a standard bike. And I have to say I'm glad I use clipless pedals because the toe-wheel clearance is almost nonexistent.

On the downside I think something is wrong with either the rear derailleur or the chain. On the tail end of my ride the chain kept slipping and/or trying to shift (making it hard to keep a good rhythm). It happens after 3 or 4 revolutions of the pedals, same time, every time, preceded by an ever so audible "click". I'm no bike mechanic so I'm going to take it back to the shop who built it and let the professionals figure it out.

EDIT: Flipped it upside down just for the helluvit and turned the cranks to check things out. Found a stuck link in the chain causing the problem as it went through the rear derailleur. Hopefully a degreasing/re-lube will clear things up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by volyblmn; 05-27-2009 at 10:51 AM.

meatier showers
    Huh, that's funny. I rode the Alpine Trail on Memorial Day, didn't see you there. I'm talking about the Alpine Trail itself, not the bicycle named after it.

C'mon up to Oakridge Oregon and ride that nice new bike of yours on its namesake trail.

--sParty

P.S. Opened this thread hoping/expecting to see pics of the trail, ha ha.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought Marin named all their bikes after places in Marin County?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    volyblmn -

That bike looks like a great buy. What size did you get and how tall, etc. are you?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWS
    volyblmn -

That bike looks like a great buy. What size did you get and how tall, etc. are you?

I bought the 17" frame. I'm 5'10" / 185lbs. The 17" seemed a tad small but the 19" didn't leave nearly enough room for the boys if I stepped off the saddle quickly. With the 17 I just moved the seat back a bit on the rail to stretch things out. Fits good now.

Rider
    Thanks for the tip on the deal.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

Rider
    I ordered mine from the ING DIRECT site. Should have it next Wednesday. Realizing it's only an entry level bike, I figure for the price ($406 shipped to my door including taxes and S&H), I can afford to ride it this year and get a feel for it and a 29er in general. If I don't like it, (or I really like it), I can sell it next year and upgrade to the next level at a minimal loss.

Good deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm really liking the look of this bike and getting ready to order one. But does anyone have the coupon code to save 15% ? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Junbd1509

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Oh snap thanks for the tip! That sure is far less than what REI sells it for.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for that. But I can't get the code to work with my customer #. I just opened a basic saving account, to try and save the 15%. I'll give it a try Monday, and if it still won't work will just go ahead and order it anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Thanks for that. But I can't get the code to work with my customer #. I just opened a basic saving account, to try and save the 15%. I'll give it a try Monday, and if it still won't work will just go ahead and order it anyway.

Just email the Shop ING Customer Support folks and let them know you're having problems using a 15% off coupon code. (I never actually sent them the exact code I was trying to use, so I think it's probably a common problem.) Someone should get back to you within a few hours and will most likely tell you to just order the bike and respond with your customer number and order number, then they'll issue a 15% credit after-the-fact.

Rider
    ^^^^ That's what I did. It worked fine.

Here's my initial feelings about the bike.

For starters, I'd take it to your LBS and have them do a once over on it before you ride. My rims were not true, the bottom bracket was a bit loose and the rear cassette was also loose. Just because it's brand new, doesn't mean that the factory put it together right. My tune-up was $60. For the price of the bike, adding another $60 is still well worth it.

1. Frame is great. Seems stiff and geometry fits me well. I'm 6' and 180lbs (yes I need to loose a bit of weight ). The bike seems light and agile on the trail. I had no problems with the single track riding I was doing.
    2. I can't emphasis the paint job enough. It is really cool. The base color is yellow and has an orange over spray covered by clear coat. It's sharp. According to the fellow that I talked to at Marin, ING paid extra for the paint job. It ain't no ghey white bike.....it's a darn good color .
    3. The Hayes brakes are nice. They work flawlessly (even in the 2' of water I was riding in on Saturday). It took me 2 hours to dry, clean and re-grease the bike Saturday night.
    4. The Dart 3 shock is entry level. I'm all ready having issues with my lockout. It simply doesn't work right. I still get plenty of travel in the lockout position. When not using the lockout, shock works fine for lighter trail riding. I really don't think it's going to hold up on the rocks here in Central PA. I'll probably upgrade at some point to a Fox.
    5. The tires are a soft compound. They stick great to the trail......however, don't expect to get more than a season out of them.
    6. Grips are so-so. I'll probably upgrade at some point to OURY's or maybe even try a pair of ERGON's.
    7. Shifting can at times miss. But....for the most part the Alivio's do their job. Time will tell.
    8. The platform pedals that came with are for your kids bike. Don't even bother putting them on. Go get a decent pair of clipless. No complaint here. Most bikes don't come with pedals anyway and the manufacturer assumes that you are going to put the pedals that you like on the bike anyway.

Bottom line: For the $$$, I don't think that you can better entry level 29er anywhere. My total cost was like $406 shipped to my door. Add the $60 tune-up, and I'm at $466. The bike does what I want it to do and it fits me great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just got mine ordered tonight. Pretty hard to throw down money on a bike I never got to sit on. Hopefully the 19 works out for me.
    Anyone know how long was shipping from ING?

Rider
    Ordered 6/3. Recieved on 6/10. I live in PA. Bike was shipped from California.

Like I said, I'm 6'. I ordered a 19". It fits me great.

Did you get the 15% off??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. I never could get the code to work. They said they would credit me the 15% back, just go ahead and order it. I'm in KS, halfway in between so hopefully it will be less then a week.

How much assembly was involved?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast