mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My new 29+ proto - the Singular Rooster

After playing around with full fat and a 29+ front wheel on my Gryphon I was pretty sold on the 29+ format. I had a ride on a Krampus and went through a few iterations of drawings. I'd formed some pretty clear ideas about what I thought would work in a full 29+ format and it was time to turn them in to metal. So the order went in for a few protos from my friends in Taiwan and the frames and forks turned up yesterday. Sadly I'm not expecting my order of Dually rims to come in until next week so for the moment we are running on a P35 front and Flow rear. Set up SS for the mean time but will also be trying it with gears soon (it has a replaceable derailleur hanger not pictured here) - it looks like a full 3x10 drivetrain should work.

Tapered external cup headtube and tapered steerer - this is the same as is on the Puffin full fat frames as well.

Tyre clearance shot and also put a front derailleur on with direct mount adapter - loads of room! A triple should even be possible. This is a Knard mounted on Stans flow. With a Rabbit hole or Dually it will be snug - but that is teh name of the game with tyres this size, short chainstays and multiple chainring capability.

Bolt on cable guides, there is a triple version for geared use as well. Again, these are the same for the Puffins as well as the new Swifts and Gryphons.

And the whole thing, it's a hodge podge of bits but that's how it tends to go with my protos - just grab what's in the shed!

The critical numbers are 445mm chainstays, 70mm bb drop, (both +/- 6mm thanks to the eccentric), 70deg HA and 55mm fork rake. Other dimensions are broadly similar to the Swift, final sizing TBD.

This will probably be my next Kickstarter project, stay tuned for more details! Any and all feedback gratefully received.

Sam
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Sweeet. Hopefully other tire makers will join. It's funny how whole 29''+ trend is based on one tire only.

mtbr member
    Dang, and here my new Krampus frame is to arrive today! I finally got past my intense dislike of track ends + gearing to get one, and now I see this...
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How are you tensioning the chain? EBB?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, it's EBB

Does it look like a thru-axle fork? I think that would be a very nice feature.

Regarding the just-one-tire concern. Does anyone have any updates on the (supposedly) upcoming Vee 8?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, it's an EBB. It's a standard QR fork. I don't really see much of a benefit to a through axle on a rigid fork for XC use.

Would be good to see a Vee tyre, but really that's a similar tread pattern to a Knard anyhow - lots of low knobs. I'd rather see something more suited to softer conditions...

mtbr member
    That head tube is awesome.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Swift... Peregrine... Gryphon... Rooster? Were all the cool avian names already taken?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice to see another frame - for sure, 29+ is gonna stay, it's just too good to ignore. My own experience with my custom 29+ frame and 2x9 is that I can just get away with the chain on the small chainring and 2 biggest sprockets - it rubs but not enough to halt progress. With a triple, you'll be lucky to get any use out the biggest sprockets whilst in the inner ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    With a triple, you'll be lucky to get any use out the biggest sprockets whilst in the inner ring.
    Yeah, doing some more detailed drawing and sums it seems as though you are right. Although the derailleur may clear the tyre the chain probably won't. However with the bent seat tube and if you put the EBB in the rearmost position that will help maximise chain clearance - we shall see.

banned
    Sep 2010
    This sucks. So many choices, just when I make up my mind Singular trots out another beechin ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ha, afraid I kind of agree with seat_boy about the names..
    I mean you've got slightly amusing ones: Loon, Shag, Booby, Lark, Plover, Yellowlegs, Godwit, Dotterel...
    Or Harrier, Goshawk, Francolin, Snipe, Avocet, Curlew, Skua, Petrel, Kittiwake, Toucan, Cisticola, Akalat, Oriole...
    Perhaps choose something with a little more exoticism... ?

mtbr member
    +1000 for Harrier! Like the jet named for the bird, it can float over terrain but still enter into attack mode.
    Last edited by seat_boy; 02-02-2014 at 07:09 AM.

parts leftover
    Looks good. Is this a steel or aluminum frame? Fork?

get down!
    Steel
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

AZ
    banned
    I like it, but it should be called the Osprey, a rather stout, very maneuverable bird of prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Yes, it's an EBB. It's a standard QR fork. I don't really see much of a benefit to a through axle on a rigid fork for XC use.

Would be good to see a Vee tyre, but really that's a similar tread pattern to a Knard anyhow - lots of low knobs. I'd rather see something more suited to softer conditions...
    A thru axle helps lining up the brake caliper when taking wheel off and on. And I guess it might help preventing brake shuddering (I have experienced it with a few steel rigid forks, nothing too bado, though). I guess there is no big gain, but I do not see major downsides, either (a bit heavier and more costly, I suppose). Anyway, no big deal.

Most people seem to like the colour. Personally, I like better the subtler, more understated colour schems of the Swift or the Gryphon. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, it looks lovely, as all your frames.

mtbr member
    Osprey is already used by Bianchi.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    I like it, but it should be called the Osprey, a rather stout, very maneuverable bird of prey.

Attack Position
    How about the Singular Skua, big aggressive birds that live on the South Pole. Seems fitting.
    Last edited by waffleBeast; 02-03-2014 at 07:16 AM.
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

Big wheels keep on rollin
    glad to see another entry in the 29+ market. The EBB and standard dropouts are a winner in my book. Also the BB drop is spot on. I never could understand the Krampus using the BB drop of a regular 29er when the tire height pushes the whole carriage up a cm+. Not so hot on yellow but that parts easy to change. I was thinking of getting a custom made but the Rooster may just be the right one!

mtbr member
    I think I just found my next Bikepacking rig! LOVE the EBB! Yellow wouldn't be my first choice, but whatever. My vote would be for orange. Any chance you need someone to do some testing on one of those frames???

mtbr member
    Looks great.
    What about a 'yellowhammer'?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So I think this is following Niner's suit and has been officially turned into "winning name gets new frame."

My 3:

Jacana (has big feet)
    Big Bird
    European Swallow

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Beautiful bike. I love the classic steel look. I would never own a yellow bike, but that's just me.

So are EBB's back in style now? Seems every bike that was posted people would say "EBB - no thanks" or something along those lines. Personally, I prefer it to sliders.

Maybe 2014 has turned a fresh new page in EBB acceptance because pulling your rear wheel tight is for kids.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    So I think this is following Niner's suit and has been officially turned into "winning name gets new frame."

My 3:

Jacana (has big feet)
    Big Bird
    European Swallow
    I don't think so and I don't think those choices would be winners anyhow ;-) I kinda like Rooster because of the fact it says a little about the bike. I already have an Osprey. Harrier is OK but you can only have so many raptors. Skua I like but maybe a bit obscure.... It's sometimes easier to design a frame than choose a name :-)

The yellow does seem to be splitting opinion, maybe with the Kickstarter I will have a 'stretch goal' for an additional colour.

mtbr member
    mmmmmh the singular brown trembler?

sam, its a great sign that the only thing 'troubling' anyone is what its gonna be called.

if i was in the market for a new bike, this would be on a very short list. looks great, 29+ is the way forward for me (up front anyway). perfected only by more of a tyre selection.

i have two friends that are currently looking and ill be showing them this bike for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I personally love the color, can't wait for the kickstarter

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The yellow does seem to be splitting opinion, maybe with the Kickstarter I will have a 'stretch goal' for an additional colour.
    That is usually the case with yellow. It is such a distinct colour that, if you like it, you love it. If you don't, then it just looks too.... well..... too yellow .

I am curious regarding how trail figures compare with the Swift, given the combination of slacker HTA, longer rake, and taller tires.

mtbr member
    I think you should pick a couple of colors you like, and then when you put up the Kickstarter thingy, let anyone who puts up the money vote on color.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I really like the yellow, though racing green with orange accents, or a rich deep purple I always find appealing too. hint hint.

The colour is far more important than the name. I personally christen my bikes with weird names anyway after a spell and particular circumstances and that's free... While colour = $$ to the powdercoater or the tedium of matching parts all over again. Anyway I think it's good to be subjected to colours one doesn't immediately admire, otherwise complacency and routine/habit risk becoming too ingrained. So hell, why not even neon pink?!

mtbr member
    Krampus owner here. I scanned the thread, but didn't read every word.

All in all I am pretty happy with the Krampus, but here are things that could be improved and/or worth considering:

- rear tire clearance is minimal [mud or a damaged wheel will rub pretty fast]

- I run an IGH so an EBB would be nice [saw that's in the plan]

- big wheel + longer CS [due to big wheel] puts a bunch of force on the rear triangle....Surly uses a fancy yoke to manage those forces....other folks are using flat plate welded together which doesn't seem like it's going to resist lateral forces well...a flexy rear end was one of the complaints with the proto Krampi that didn't have the yoke

- I like the Krampus geo...I run a medium frame with rear wheel almost all the way forward in the dropouts....manoeuvrable enough to be fun in tighter areas while retaining stability for bombing highspeed sections

- I'd prefer a bigger main triangle and less radically sloped TT so I can get a bigger frame bag in there...I've been riding bikes for over 30yrs and never hit "the boys" on a TT so uber stand over is not a concern for me

- the tubing spec and fork seem reasonable on the Krampus...not terribly over built, but not too flexy

I'll be following your project with some interest.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburtron View Post
    I really like the yellow, though racing green with GOLD accents, or a rich deep purple I always find appealing too. hint hint.
    Fixed

mtbr member
    I like the Rooster name.

Kinda like the yellow, but when I think Rooster I think red...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'd prefer a bigger main triangle and less radically sloped TT so I can get a bigger frame bag in there...I've been riding bikes for over 30yrs and never hit "the boys" on a TT so uber stand over is not a concern for me
    +1 on this too, frame bag space is one of the most crucial things for me too.

mtbr member
    OTOH, I came around a snowy corner this winter, hit a slick spot, and ended up perfectly straddling my top tube, both feet on the ground. It's nice to have good standover clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilburtron View Post
    +1 on this too, frame bag space is one of the most crucial things for me too.

no brain no pain
    May 2011
    Hi Sam,

Waiting for my Krampus... ! It will be a good friend for my Swift, but I love this Rooster very much. What about the geometry?
    Just received my Velocity Dually 29", too

Jos

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sam, being new to your kickstarting etc style, what's a rough eta of the kickstarter and then availability of frames? Autumn? earlier?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rooster and Buzzard out together Guitar Ted Productions: Rendezvous Ride

mtbr member
    Any updates on the Rooster?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sam's hoping the Kickstarter will go ahead in a few days, more here plus more pics of Rooster
    https://www.facebook.com/SingularCyc...?stream_ref=10

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...67059962_n.jpg

Team 9.8
    Very Very nice looking bike! Love the yellow, very clean looking

mtbr member
    Nice color!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Kickstarter project is live, only 11 days to go! I am already a backer, and I would love to see this neat bike hit the trails, so come on, what are you waiting to back it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ter-29-bicycle

It would also be nice to reach the 20K goal, and have a second color option

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So...did anyone else read the entire Kickstarter page? The Kickstarter "project" and pricing are available worldwide, except for the USA. That's a pretty huge bummer. I thought it was a joke at first, but doesn't appear so. It goes on to say that production frames will be available through Singular's sole US distributor, but I assume that is at full price.

I'm curious to know why this is? I was really excited about this, and the reduced cost via Kickstarter.
    Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    So...did anyone else read the entire Kickstarter page? The Kickstarter "project" and pricing are available worldwide, except for the USA. That's a pretty huge bummer. I thought it was a joke at first, but doesn't appear so. It goes on to say that production frames will be available through Singular's sole US distributor, but I assume that is at full price.

I'm curious to know why this is? I was really excited about this, and the reduced cost via Kickstarter.
    yea... I think we just got screwed. I was ready to put my money in and boom.. kicked in the can. Just so some dude here can get his $$.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    yea... I think we just got screwed. I was ready to put my money in and boom.. kicked in the can. Just so some dude here can get his $$.

I guess everything comes to an exclusivity arrangement with the US dealer. Anyway, I know the dealer is taking pre-orders now, so you might be able to get a good deal. Not sure if kickstarter-good, but probably below retail price. Anyway, you could drop Sam a line and check.

mtbr member
    Is there a new Singular distributor in the US? I thought the Prairie Pedaler closed up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    "yea... I think we just got screwed. I was ready to put my money in and boom.. kicked in the can. Just so some dude here can get his $$."

Why is it out one side of people's mouths comes support US, local, jobs, etc. and then out the other side is complaining about someone (who is putting in the time, work, and resources to provide a service and goods nobody else does here in US) getting his $$?

Jon is a good guy, knows what he is doing, and you can count on him to get you going. Why not shoot him an email and see what's up and how you could work with him before going to the forum complaining about the $$? That's what's good about actually working with someone - you can call them, chat about things, maybe work something out.

Colorado Specialty Velo website: Fine Bicycle Products from here to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbikeradio View Post
    Why is it out one side of people's mouths comes support US, local, jobs, etc. and then out the other side is complaining about someone (who is putting in the time, work, and resources to provide a service and goods nobody else does here in US) getting his $$?
    I fully support US builders. I have 3 customs all from guys here in the US. What I don't need is another middleman to get a frame from. The world is flat... pretty easy to get stuff shipped here from anywhere.

mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's not a matter of anyone 'getting screwed', it's just me trying to get a project happening and get frames to those who want them at a beneficial price for those 'early adopters' who are prepared to wait a few months. Jon (Colorado Speciality Velo) is just getting started and is excited about the Roosters. He is also putting a good chunk of cash towards making them happen. Pre-orders at an advantageous price for those in the US are also available though him - you would need to contact Jon to determine exactly what that pricing is likely to be.

mtbr member
    It's not a matter of anyone 'getting screwed', it's just me trying to get a project happening and get frames to those who want them at a beneficial price for those 'early adopters' who are prepared to wait a few months. Jon (Colorado Speciality Velo) is just getting started and is excited about the Roosters. He is also putting a good chunk of cash towards making them happen. Pre-orders at an advantageous price for those in the US are also available though him - you would need to contact Jon to determine exactly what that pricing is likely to be.
    Actually, it is a matter of people getting screwed. Anyone in the US (probably one of the bigger markets for this frame) wanting to be an early adopter can't, or has to go through some other process and probably wait longer and pay more. That sure sounds like people getting screwed because of where they live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Actually, it is a matter of people getting screwed. Anyone in the US (probably one of the bigger markets for this frame) wanting to be an early adopter can't, or has to go through some other process and probably wait longer and pay more. That sure sounds like people getting screwed because of where they live.
    I sympathize. I really do, but this is life for many people when dealing with US companies.

I can't count the number of times I was not allowed to order something because I live in Canada not the US or instead of free shipping I had to pay $50 to get some item to me that only cost $50-$80 to begin with.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I sympathize. I really do, but this is life for many people when dealing with US companies.

I can't count the number of times I was not allowed to order something because I live in Canada not the US or instead of free shipping I had to pay $50 to get some item to me that only cost $50-$80 to begin with.
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen all the time, I've read about all kinds of people up there in Canada getting screwed. I was just commenting that people are getting screwed because of where they live, which Singular was saying is not the case.

I guess it just comes down to a business decision on their part. They have a new US distributor just getting started that they want to funnel US sales through, I get that. But offering this Kickstarter campaign and then excluding US customers is kind of crappy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Since all parties involved here are very positive about the Rooster, is there anyway you guys could work out a positive solution for all concerned, where designer, importer and US customers all win.

The Kickstarter has already been updated with new "Rewards", so if a solution could be worked out it could be added as a new reward before it closes in a few days.

Brian

I checked out the guys FB page. It will cost ~$100 extra for the Rooster over the Kickstarter deal. Plus whatever he charges for shipping.

It's great that someone is putting out the money to stock some frames here in the US. Hopefully it will mean more sales for Singular, who has a great set of frames with some really dialed in geometry.

But to be excluded from the Kickstarter deal so some distributor can make extra money is just wrong. I'm willing to pay the extra shipping cost from the UK. Pretty stinky I say.

mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No reason the US should be excluded from the Kickstarter deal. Then the US distributor can sell non-Kickstarter frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Per Colorado Specialty Velo's FB page, Rooster pre-orders should be between $960-$980, which is greater than $200 the cost of the Kickstarter. That's hard to swallow when you're willing to help support the project and get in early. Moving on...
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Anyone know how to contact this guy? I'm interested in getting a Gryphon fork, if that's possible. I contacted Sam directly, but no answer.

I'm not on Facebook. I've searched his site, but no contact form or info. Here's a business tip for you...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbikeradio View Post
    "yea... I think we just got screwed. I was ready to put my money in and boom.. kicked in the can. Just so some dude here can get his $$."

Jon is a good guy, knows what he is doing, and you can count on him to get you going. Why not shoot him an email and see what's up and how you could work with him before going to the forum complaining about the $$? That's what's good about actually working with someone - you can call them, chat about things, maybe work something out.

Colorado Specialty Velo website: Fine Bicycle Products from here to the UK

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Seat boy - I don't think I've had any email from you. Yes, it's possible to buy a Gryphon fork separately. Please try me again on sam@singularcycles.com.

Regarding the 'fairness' or otherwise about excluding US customers from the project, I have to do what I think is right for the long term viability of the company, and ensuring profitability for a fledgling dealer is part of that. That said, if any US folks were really serious about wanting to be a part of the project I'm sure we could have worked something out. During the project funding period I did not get any queries from the US directly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Tough crowd here. The fact that Singular didn't get any US questions during the funding period tells a lot. Get a lot more of what you want if you contact the people in charge and just ask. Sam, nice job. Keep it up.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sam, there's an email winging your way.

Seat boy - I don't think I've had any email from you. Yes, it's possible to buy a Gryphon fork separately. Please try me again on sam@singularcycles.com.

Regarding the 'fairness' or otherwise about excluding US customers from the project, I have to do what I think is right for the long term viability of the company, and ensuring profitability for a fledgling dealer is part of that. That said, if any US folks were really serious about wanting to be a part of the project I'm sure we could have worked something out. During the project funding period I did not get any queries from the US directly.

mtbr member

As someone who has tried to buy from numerous US companies that either won't sell to me at all because I am in Canada or want to charge outrageous shipping or force me to us their Canadian distributors who don't want to sell me that particular product - nothing you are suggesting is unreasonable or out of line.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Front Range Cyclist
    Hey Guys, this is Jon from Colorado Speciality Velo. First off, thanks to all who chimed in support...there is always a bit of transition in this sort of thing so allow me to explain.

First off....the US has been without a distributor since last fall when Marty, a good friend of mine, packed up his shop and moved the family up to Minnesota. Without him, there would be no Singular's in the USA. Marty took a good chunk of each frame order which allowed Sam to develop new frames and expand the line. Which is awesome.

However sans a US distributor, Singular turned to Kickstarter for the Puffin (which land in 10 days!) as well as the Rooster. You likely won't see a Kickstarter again FYI from us. Also...Kickstarter is now over.

That said....there is a bright side to it all. I've reached a deal with some old friends at Magura and Velocity USA to start. You'll be able to get a VERY sweet deal on a Rooster w/Dually wheels and/or Magura brakes and forks (yes, their fork clears 29+). The kind of deal you couldn't before with Marty nor that Sam even offers in the UK. We'll also have package deals with Ritchey/Race Face components as well as RotorUSA which is based down the road here in Colorado Springs.

In time we'll have stock of most models and be doing once a month orders special orders (special pricing) form the UK. Ordering direct from the UK is more costly for me, and I don't make as much...BUT I want to see people on Singular's. Plain and simple.

But wait...it gets better. We're located in Colorado Springs, CO and we're behind some pretty cool stuff in cycling here. Singular owners (old and new) wanting to visit will get special room deals right downtown. We're also working on 2 festivals with the local Urban Singletrack Project of which Singular owners will be eligible for deals.

Questions? Feel free to message me your phone number via our Facebook page and I'll get on the telephone to chat with you whenever works for you, day or night.

In the end, both Singular UK and Singular USA/Colorado Speciality Velo are small businesses. I currently have a part time (once a week/on call) employee and an intern. Please excuse any wee issue we may have over the next month or so as we get up to speed.

Look forward to hearing from you. Even those maybe not so happy with the situation right now, we'll see what we can do.
    Last edited by juansevo; 04-14-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey guys - he updated the site and offering up the deal. Frame, fork, wheelset, and brakes for $1658, which is $741 off. Here's the link: Rooster Rolling Chassis Package Deal (pre-order only) ? Colorado Speciality Velo . If you are truly interested, I would say that Jon's extending an olive branch with you on this one.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Wait...the Magura forks fit the Knard on a Rabbit Hole! Why have we not been told! I will not sleep till I see pictures of said animal!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a magura 29er fork with the dual arch and I wouldn't call it good to go with a knard and velocity 40mm rim. Sure it doesn't run bad. But it does rub. I wouldn't ride it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I have a magura 29er fork with the dual arch and I wouldn't call it good to go with a knard and velocity 40mm rim. Sure it doesn't run bad. But it does rub. I wouldn't ride it.
    I wonder what model they're talking about....

mtbr member
    Has anyone heard any updates on the Rooster availability?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Crickets...nothing but crickets.

I had a pre-order in with CO Specialty Velo about this time last year. They were kind enough to refund my deposit in November after they had given up on Singular. I really wanted that frame, but the lack of correspondence from Singular, even after the Kickstarter campaign is a poor play IMO.

You can follow this thread here:

Singular 29+ on Kickstarter, but not on Singular site. How does that work? Singletrack Forum
    Enjoy the ride!

squish, squish in da fish
    wow! this sam sounds like the real stand up guy. i remember when this kickstarter was started and forgot about it until now. he's definitely scamming or he'd be posting every step of why they're late. not just saying, ahhhh yeah there's a hold up in production. put him in the same boat as homebrew and kick em off to sea w/o a friggin paddle. karma's a beeotch sammie boy, hope it was worth it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    wow! this sam sounds like the real stand up guy. i remember when this kickstarter was started and forgot about it until now. he's definitely scamming or he'd be posting every step of why they're late. not just saying, ahhhh yeah there's a hold up in production. put him in the same boat as homebrew and kick em off to sea w/o a friggin paddle. karma's a beeotch sammie boy, hope it was worth it
    The backers of the project were kept up to date with what was happening and why. The whole project had some unfortunate hiccups, but all the backers now have frames on their way if not already with them. People who know me and know my company realise I am not out to scam everyone. This whole thing was very difficult, for a number of reasons, but I hope in the end everyone involved is OK with the final outcome.

Front Range Cyclist
    I do want to say that while the issues Singular had did lead me to having to abandon a bike import business idea based around the Singular brand as well as caused a lot of headaches on my end, I do think if anyone could say their upset or lost out it's me. Which would be true in a sense for sure. But I also would never throw Sam under the bus for what happened.

Sam's a damn good dude who designs damn nice bikes.

Working with Asia isn't as easy as it sounds. I really feel he just got pushed on the back burner by the supplier which then caused him (then me, then many backers) many headaches. I wouldn't fault Sam at all.

Every conversation I had up until the parting was fantastic. I still own/ride often my Singular Kite I picked up as a personal bike. While the business has been closed for nearly a year come fall, I still get people hunting me down asking for a Peregrine, a certain older frame, a Gryphon, and on goes the list. In short, Sam's reputation is solid and the bikes are things people in the know seek out. Even if they have to do some research to see if they know someone who knows me to see if by a weird chance I have XYZ frame or fork.

So yeah, did the Rooster take longer than expected. Sure it is. Could Sam *maybe* have done something to speed that up? Eh, doubt it though sure he learned a thing or two that can prevent that from ever happening again. It's business. As a rule, you can think you have everything figured out then sh*t happens like this. Just keep in mind he does have 10 years experience, this isn't his first rodeo. Cut the guy some slack. It'll be worth the wait too.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Is the U.S. without a distributor of Singular now? As a side note, bring back the Peregrine please.

mtbr member
    Any update on this project yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    The Rooster is available, but there is no distributor in the US. You can order direct from Singular's site.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am searching for a size large Rooster frame and fork. May consider a complete depending on set up and price.

Thanks.
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?