Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!

Picked up my new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er today. Really like the bike. Had a Camber beforehand but I wanted a bit more of an aggressive and comfortable bike.
    Bike has a very comfortable cockpit. 130 mm travel is plush but setting allow to stiffen up the suspension for softer XC riding. Have only ridden it around my house so far but popping off of curbs is a hoot.
    With my Kronolog dropper post and pedals I am sitting at ~ 30lbs. I am planning to add some ZTR Arch EX 29er wheels and going tubeless to hopefully lose 1.5 to 2 lbs. Maybe add some carbon bars for comfort.
    Any experts wanna weigh in (pun intended) on other possible upgrades? I have big plans for this new rig!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!-newrig.jpg  

My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!-2012-12-15_00-04-55_793.jpg  

My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!-2012-12-15_00-05-11_538.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll be the first to say nice bike. Hope you get out and enjoy it today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great looking bike,but I really like Black bikes. I have the 2011 STJ FSR 29 comp and love it, the upgrades I did from stock are:

2.4 Purgatory Control on the front ( Huge difference, buy at Spec. outlet)
    Tubeless w/ stans juice
    Carbon Bar ( go wide 700-720+)
    WTB Rocket V Team saddle
    Carbon seatpost
    Eggbeater pedals

Future upgrades:
    Arch EX wheelset
    Dropper post

I ride this bike everywhere from Tahoe to Bend and Moab, etc.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Great looking bike,but I really like Black bikes. I have the 2011 STJ FSR 29 comp and love it, the upgrades I did from stock are:

2.4 Purgatory Control on the front ( Huge difference, buy at Spec. outlet)
    Tubeless w/ stans juice
    Carbon Bar ( go wide 700-720+)
    WTB Rocket V Team saddle
    Carbon seatpost
    Eggbeater pedals

Future upgrades:
    Arch EX wheelset
    Dropper post

I ride this bike everywhere from Tahoe to Bend and Moab, etc.
    How do you like the Arch wheels? Did you notice the weight diff? Where is the best place to get them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I havn't upgraded to the Arch EX wheelset yet, but in the past a savings of 300-400 grams have made a big difference for the first couple of rides, till you get use to it.

Great bike, have fun
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    I havn't upgraded to the Arch EX wheelset yet, but in the past a savings of 300-400 grams have made a big difference for the first couple of rides, till you get use to it.

Great bike, have fun
    Would I have to get two adapters for the thru-axle on the Stumpy? I think the Stumpy has two different thru-axle sizes, correct?

mtbr member
    Looks great, what size is it? Looks like 17.5" to me but I am not sure. 30lbs is quite light for a FS bike. My 2012 Carve XXL is 33.7 lbs. As stated above, I too, am a fan of the black out bikes. I am bummed because the 2013 colors are way cooler then the 2012's.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Yeah, it is Medium which comes in around 17.5". I am not even running tubeless yet. Trying to find out how to run ZTR Arch wheels on this. I have two through-axles with different sizes. Gonna upgrade cassette,bars, and wheels soon. I should have it down in the 28lb range after all of that.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm guessing you simply need the 142x12mm and 15x100mm endcaps. Readily available for many manufacturers.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I have a '12 comp large,love it. Upgrades so far:
    Mazrocci micro ti 44 at 140 mm
    arch ex to some 10 year old King hubs
    1080 cassette
    carbon post
    60mm stem
    Purgatory 2.3 with stans front and rear
    xx twisters that still need to be installed
    The wheels by far are the best money spent with the fork a close second. Both made a big difference in the ride. The fox fork had way too much flex fore and aft. I much prefer twisters just have to get off my ass and install them.
    A few more changes at some point but for now it's great. Soup to nuts about $3400 into it,got a good deal on the bike and most of the upgrades have been bought on sale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    awesome looking bike, the FS Specialized range has my interest as a the sort of thing I'd wanna move on to. The SJ FSR Elite looks especially good, but the price tags hurts my brain. The back stealth scheme on your Comp is great, starting to feel like a clown on my white + red superfly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'm guessing you simply need the 142x12mm and 15x100mm endcaps. Readily available for many manufacturers.
    So are those available by Stan's? Thinking of getthing these through Jensen, Stan's No Tubes Arch Ex 29Er Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop ,but on the Stan's site they only mention the adapter for the rear hub, ZTR Arch EX 29er Stock Wheelset .Where do I get the adapter for the front hub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    So are those available by Stan's? Thinking of getthing these through Jensen, Stan's No Tubes Arch Ex 29Er Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop ,but on the Stan's site they only mention the adapter for the rear hub, ZTR Arch EX 29er Stock Wheelset .Where do I get the adapter for the front hub?
    I just sent you a PM explaining a better option for you!

mtbr member

Great bike, have fun
    So I got my Stan's ZTR Arch Ex 29er wheels in and a Sram Xg 1080 10 Speed Cassette. I also went tubeless. As I mentioned beforehand my bike was at ~30.5 lbs. After all the upgrades my bike is coming in around 28 lbs, 10 oz. That is less than my 2009 Stumpy FSR 26er.
    Just from riding around on my front street I can tell the difference in acceleration and can even tell when I pick it up. That is with my dropper post also and my resin pedals. I think I can break into 27 lb territory with a few mods. Then after that it's on to a snow bike!

mtbr member
    I'm gonna be selling my medium black on black 2013 fsr comp 29er with about 50 miles on it . It's getting its 3 month tune up now in my lbs. Msrp is $3k. What is a good asking price? $1800 for a quick sale????? I just bought the hard tail version evo in large to fit me better since its lighter and more nimble feeling the full squish is just not for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!-image.jpg  

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Awesome bike man

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sick bike!! Looking to pick one of these up as well!
    Last edited by milenk0; 01-30-2013 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    LittleBuddy what size is the stumpy you have for sale?

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I finally took it out for the first time this week after having a break in bad weather. Loved it. The bike cruises through rock gardens better than any bike I have ridden before. The head tube angle is slack enough to make downhill rock hardens easier yet not too slack to hurt climbing ability. Bottom bracket is high enough to clear chunky sections but still low enough to make handling good.
    On the flowy XC-type single track the bike seemed great too. Had no trouble keeping up with my normally faster than me buddy on his hardtail. Shifting was quick and with the rear suspension switch to uphill mode, the bike is snappier than I thought as well.
    I put a fair amount of upgrades on the bike (wheels, tubeless, cassette,carbon bar,new stem) to drop about 3 lbs off the bike (carbon cranks are coming soon too) but overall I am pleased. Perfect "do all" bike.

mtbr member
    Whats up with the pixelated images on this new forum style?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice bikes, been wanting one of these for a while

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did you consider an epic? If so, why did you end up with the stumpjumper? Comfort or doing more hardcore stuff?

Reason I ask is that I was going to buy a stumpjumper, but I don't really do any drops or anything super technical, it's mostly santa monica single trails and the epic seems better suited for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler777 View Post
    Did you consider an epic? If so, why did you end up with the stumpjumper? Comfort or doing more hardcore stuff?

Reason I ask is that I was going to buy a stumpjumper, but I don't really do any drops or anything super technical, it's mostly santa monica single trails and the epic seems better suited for that.
    The Epic is a good bike but for me the SJ seemed better. The Epic head tube felt a little steep for me and I didn't like the way I felt more hunched over since its more of a race bike. I also ride chunky trails and wanted more travel. You really notice the head tube angle when you gotta descent rocky downhill sections.
    The Epic is a great bike, not bashing it, just not for me. Have you considered the Camber? It's basically in between of the Epic and SJ as far as travel and frame geometry go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler777 View Post

Hi,
    I have riden both and prefer the SJ. The Epic is way more stretch out when riding, the SJ more upright position. SJ still climbs great, but descends even better. I ride in south OC, any rocks or ruts the SJ eats it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Camber, eh? Onoes... more options! Ha. The Santa Monica mountains are mostly fairly smooth trails, but lots of steep climbs and I find myself wanting to lean forward a lot. I also road bike so I'm kind of used to that position anyway.

On the other hand, I never race and don't need to make comfort sacrifices for speed. So I suspect you're right about the Camber. Glad I joined this forum.

Any thoughts on 2011 vs 2012 vs 2013 Camber? I have a $5500 budget, but of course cheaper is better + if I get an older model I can get fancier/lighter components.

Why is there no S-Works version? What's the difference between Expert Carbon and Expert Carbon EVO R?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast