Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    30 pounds? I had a 2005 sj fsr expert and I don't remember it being that heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler777 View Post
    Camber, eh? Onoes... more options! Ha. The Santa Monica mountains are mostly fairly smooth trails, but lots of steep climbs and I find myself wanting to lean forward a lot. I also road bike so I'm kind of used to that position anyway.

On the other hand, I never race and don't need to make comfort sacrifices for speed. So I suspect you're right about the Camber. Glad I joined this forum.

Any thoughts on 2011 vs 2012 vs 2013 Camber? I have a $5500 budget, but of course cheaper is better + if I get an older model I can get fancier/lighter components.

Why is there no S-Works version? What's the difference between Expert Carbon and Expert Carbon EVO R?
    Camber is a good bike. A little more beefy than the Epic but a little more flickable than a SJ. $5500 can get you a lot of bike. I'd go carbon and get a 2013. I actually reviewed a 2013 Camber on youtube. I ended up swapping it for an SJ but overall a great bike. Might be what the doctor ordered! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuppUN2rWo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    Thats not bad for a FSR, my 2012 XXL Carve Expert is 28.95lbs tubeless.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    30 lbs was the bike stock with a dropper post. With all my upgrades it's well in the 27's now. I get my S-works cranks tomorrow and will weigh it again at the bike shop.

Knob scrubber
    Well done getting it down in the 27's, that's a good weight saving. My expert carbon comes in at 27.5lbs complete, it was bang on 27lb out of the box. My only upgrades have been Answer AM carbon bars which were the exact same weight, ODI Troy Lee grips, and I converted to tubeless. I have heard of guys getting them down to 25lb, but that takes more money than I have to spend at the moment!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice one. Think of moving from Epic to Stumpy

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great looking bike. I really like those black Specialized bikes of 2013. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Camber is a good bike. A little more beefy than the Epic but a little more flickable than a SJ. $5500 can get you a lot of bike. I'd go carbon and get a 2013. I actually reviewed a 2013 Camber on youtube. I ended up swapping it for an SJ but overall a great bike. Might be what the doctor ordered!
    Thanks for the recommendation and video review. What modifications do you suggest for faster climbing? Cheers!

usually cranky
    that stock seat will start to squeal like a pig. otherwise its a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    I got my S-works cranks installed. Dropped bike to a bit above 27 lbs. I am pretty happy with that considering my old Stumpy FSR Comp 26er was over 30 lbs and this is a 29er. I feel much faster and capable on this bike. I did spend a hefty amount in upgrades, but it wasn't all it once, it was when I could pony up cash when I had it over the winter. End of winter is on the horizon, now it's time to ride!

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. I am considering one myself. Can not wait till all the snow is gone so I can demo one of these and the Trance X1 29er and see which one wins my money.

mtbr member
    My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!-2013-03-02_15-25-59_704.jpg

Here are my new cranks at Curt Gowdy State Park a couple of days ago. I think I am done upgrading. I really like having a smaller ring, our trails have a lot of topography.
    How much can you lose by swapping rubber? Anyone know? Just curious. Will burn these ones off before I consider a new pair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looking at the SJ FSR Comp 29 as well. Have ridden sj, trance, anthem, and next the camber.

Question about actual purchasing a Specialized, dealers basically have the same price tag, about 10% less than MSRP. Say list is $3K, see it for $2700.

Do they go on sale other than year end clearance in the fall? Should I hammer on them? What's the typical practice?

TIA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brigcampbell View Post
    Looking at the SJ FSR Comp 29 as well. Have ridden sj, trance, anthem, and next the camber.

Question about actual purchasing a Specialized, dealers basically have the same price tag, about 10% less than MSRP. Say list is $3K, see it for $2700.

Do they go on sale other than year end clearance in the fall? Should I hammer on them? What's the typical practice?

TIA.
    You might be able to get a little more at the end of the year. You could probably talk another $100 or so after the $2700.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brigcampbell View Post

TIA.
    A couple of the LBS already had the SJ Comp at 2699 and one of them was willing to eat the taxes if I paid cash, so you save a couple of hundred on the OTD price (at least in SoCal). I always ask for the cash OTD price and see what they say. For some dealers it makes no difference, some dealers really prefer it and will give you a much better deal, but most dealers will at least give you another 2-3% off which is what they eat for the option of you using credit. Doesn't hurt to ask...
    BTW, really liked the SJ Comp. Smooth, active ride and with the CTD climbed well!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is on regular trails really 29er BETTER than reg? Esp on hill up ride??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Amazing looking bike. Enjoy and ride safely.

mtbr member
    Nice bike I went with the comp carbon just because, but still snow in the ground haven't had a chance to ride other than my drive way and street

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbcomp29 View Post
    Nice bike I went with the comp carbon just because, but still snow in the ground haven't had a chance to ride other than my drive way and street
    The black and white? Looks evil!

mtbr member
    Yeah the 2013 came in black and white I like the looks tho,it's a sharp looking bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, just bought a '13 SJ FSR Comp 29 in red and black. Had the LBS swap out the elixir 5 brakes with XT and ice tech rotors for a small fee.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One last upgrade! A dropper post for a rig like yours will be magnificent! I'd recommend either a Rockshox Reverb or a KS Lev

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavr0 View Post
    Is on regular trails really 29er BETTER than reg? Esp on hill up ride??

Extensive 29er vs 26er threads on this forum. Most people here are pretty well-informed and make the wheel size choice based on their own specific biking preferences. I climb just as well on my Stumpy 29er. Having a nice, light wheel set makes lots of difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Love the bike. I went with the 29 Evo last Saturday and love it. The color scheme is schweet just wish it would stop snowing in Denver so I can ride. My new 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er!!!!-photo-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast