Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215

    My First Video! Check it out!

    I just finished my first true mountain biking edit. I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and give me some feedback to make the next one better! Filmed by myself and all on my new GoPro Hero2.



    Its also on Vimeo now although quality did not seem to change. https://vimeo.com/56959277

    oh and it was on a 29er...
    Last edited by reedfe; 01-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,313
    It needs a gnarly crash section with blood and broken teeth....



    Seriously though, for a first effort it gets two thumbs up. Watched it all the way through, liked the editing.

  3. #3
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    It needs a gnarly crash section with blood and broken teeth....



    Seriously though, for a first effort it gets two thumbs up. Watched it all the way through, liked the editing.
    Thanks! I think I lost some of the quality when I exported it with Vegas. I need to find a better setting that doesn't lose any quality and keeps the 60 fps. although I just rewatched it on my computer off youtube and it appears to be 60 fps. does youtube further compress it into 30 fps?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    140
    nice job, the trails looked excellent

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

  6. #6
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,945
    Actually I think it's really good for a first go. *applauds*

    That's the constructive part. Now for the criticism ...

    The trail feature around the 1 minute mark - hard to really tell what size it was with your position of the camera on the ground (imo, the camera on your body for that was not good use of the tool). I would say a better camera angle to appreciate your riding at the feature would have been infront of your ride line, off to the side (left side for sake of visual clarity). This would allow the viewer to see you master that feature easier.

    Definitely look forward to seeing more!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  7. #7
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,331
    Are you kidding? Turn pro, dood! That was righteous!

    --sParty

    P.S. Where's Pinehurst? Near the beach? Looks sandy there.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  8. #8
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,237
    Yes Youtube will mess up all of your video no matter what bitrate you bump it up to .. try using Vimeo .

  9. #9
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Actually I think it's really good for a first go. *applauds*

    That's the constructive part. Now for the criticism ...

    The trail feature around the 1 minute mark - hard to really tell what size it was with your position of the camera on the ground (imo, the camera on your body for that was not good use of the tool). I would say a better camera angle to appreciate your riding at the feature would have been infront of your ride line, off to the side (left side for sake of visual clarity). This would allow the viewer to see you master that feature easier.

    Definitely look forward to seeing more!
    I had that feeling after I came home and was editing the vid. Thanks for the criticism though. That's what I'm looking for!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Are you kidding? Turn pro, dood! That was righteous!

    --sParty

    P.S. Where's Pinehurst? Near the beach? Looks sandy there.
    I can't tell if you're being completely honest but thanks for the words of encouragement. Its nice on hear that when I've spent a lot of free time working on this. Pinehurst is in Wellington, Fl which would explain the sand. There are some sections where you've really got to gain lots of speed then ride your back wheel to get through it but most are now covered with carpet. Fortunately, this trail is packed down for the most part.

    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Yes Youtube will mess up all of your video no matter what bitrate you bump it up to .. try using Vimeo .
    hmm. I'll look into that. Maybe I'll create an account to see if I like it over there more.
    Last edited by reedfe; 01-07-2013 at 07:57 PM.

  10. #10
    @trailgrinder
    Reputation: Live2rideUtah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    427
    Great job, and great editing!

  11. #11
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    I'm glad you guys liked it. I'll definetely be doing more videos then. This was just a toying around kind of thing at the time

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Good job!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,422
    Yes...liked it

    Liked the way you mixed it up which means more effort on your part. thanks

  14. #14
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    546
    Sweet job of editing. I noticed some zooming out while the camera was mounted off the bike. Does that take a remote or was someone else with you doing that?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    184
    Great job!

    Very watchable!

    mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

  16. #16
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Sweet job of editing. I noticed some zooming out while the camera was mounted off the bike. Does that take a remote or was someone else with you doing that?
    No remote and nobody else. Remember self filmed. That was done with Sony Vegas. It is a pan and zoom effect that you can customize. If you look at the fisheye the gopro lens provides, you'll notice that the outside grows more and more "fisheye-ier" if zooming out because it is actually just moving the window of viewing around if that makes any sense. It was not my intent to do this when I first filmed but after discovering it Vegas, it became my new favorite tool, especially for self-edits.

  17. #17
    Sweat is just fat crying.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9,971
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    Great job!

    Very watchable!

    mudhen
    Ditto, nice work. Lots of effort put into that to make it interesting. I like the shot from directly behind the front tire, but don't overuse it!

    How about shots from up in the trees? Or a side shot? Or jumping the camera? Put the camera on the ground & focus on something else as you ride by blurr-ily. Film into a puddle & get your reflection, or bring a convex mirror to film into as you ride by. Duct-tape the camera to the front wheel!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandyeggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    381
    Excellent job! It sure doesn't look like a first time video! specifically liked how you seemed to time the cuts to the beat of the music. Looking forward to seeing more vids!
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

  19. #19
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Ditto, nice work. Lots of effort put into that to make it interesting. I like the shot from directly behind the front tire, but don't overuse it!

    How about shots from up in the trees? Or a side shot? Or jumping the camera? Put the camera on the ground & focus on something else as you ride by blurr-ily. Film into a puddle & get your reflection, or bring a convex mirror to film into as you ride by. Duct-tape the camera to the front wheel!
    Now that you mention that, I really did use a lot of that front-wheel shot. Oops. I will definitely consider those other shots (especially the puddle and jumping shots) for future use. I've toyed with a jump shot and I actually have one from the jump in the video but didn't put it in. All of those stationary shots that weren't on the ground were in a tree but I could see the cinematic appeal of a high up shot from above. Thanks for the recommendations.

    On a quick side-note, thanks for the only other "like" that wasn't mine whoever that was!

  20. #20
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    First try huh at what, MTB vids or video editing in general? If that's a first try damn, don't want to see what you're producing in a few months
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  21. #21
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    First try huh at what, MTB vids or video editing in general? If that's a first try damn, don't want to see what you're producing in a few months
    First Mountain bike Edit. But I've probably edited less than a dozen videos, most of which are probably just slideshows with voice over. LOL. Although I'd like to think I'm good with computers.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,915
    Did you say some of your trail is covered with carpet???

    Really?

    Oh, and cool video!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    445
    Great video. I'll give you a solid B as a grade this time only because you seem to have a lot of potential with your editing skills. If I made that video I would high five myself and give an A++++ because I am a technomoron when it comes to stuff like this and that would be a lifetime crowning acheivement for me.

    Its cool how you have so many angles to keep it interesting, already better than 90% of gopro vids on youtube. Next time maybe a few more jumps with different angles, maybe a flyover, throw some wheelies in there, if like me you can't ride them far just do a quick blurb for stoke and move to the next frame. Look forward to your next one!

  24. #24
    Gears... I hate gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    Great video. I'll give you a solid B as a grade this time only because you seem to have a lot of potential with your editing skills. If I made that video I would high five myself and give an A++++ because I am a technomoron when it comes to stuff like this and that would be a lifetime crowning acheivement for me.

    Its cool how you have so many angles to keep it interesting, already better than 90% of gopro vids on youtube. Next time maybe a few more jumps with different angles, maybe a flyover, throw some wheelies in there, if like me you can't ride them far just do a quick blurb for stoke and move to the next frame. Look forward to your next one!
    I will take this into account. Thanks for the support. Some of the jumps at this place don't have a very solid run in (well from my inexperienced view point) and so I'm scared to hit them. Also, I'm really kind of scared of jumping but it is fun when you hit it just right. I've only been riding consistently for less than a year and by that I mean most weekends.

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Did you say some of your trail is covered with carpet???

    Really?

    Oh, and cool video!
    Thanks. Yeah, some sand is too deep to ride but that's Florida ( I'm sure some of the fat bike guys would like to disagree.) However, it makes the trails flow better down here. At the trailhead, there is rolls of carpet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caulppemexera View Post
    Добро пожаловать на brands womendraiv ru/nyusha_maksim html]кто круче
    проект, где мы всем интернетом выясняем, что в этом мире крутое, а что беспросветный отстой Каждый день у нас проходят десятки сражений, как среди популярных брендов, так и среди абстрактных понятий
    This is what google translate gave me. I'm not sure if it is spam or not but I think you might have attempted to say my project is cool

    "Welcome to the brands womendraiv ru / nyusha_maksim html] who steeper
    - A project where we are all over the Internet we find out that in this world of cool, and that - hopeless sucks Every day we pass dozens of battles, both among the popular brands, and of abstract concepts"

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18
    Nice vid! that trail looks like fun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •