mtbr member

My first 29er ride (Redline D440)

So partially due to encouragement from people in this forum I purchased a '08 Redline D440 as my first 29er. It's pretty much stock except for the BB5 disc brakes and laserdisc rims. I took it out for a first ride on Thursday over some flat desert terrain just to get a feel for how it rides before I hit anything too technical. While out there I took a couple pics of my bike as well as a random cow that was hanging out in the desert. No action shots though since I was by myself.

This morning I went out and had a good ride on some rough, rocky desert terrain where the bike performed great. I love the steel frame. It may be a little heavier than some other materials but it rides great and by the end the ride I didn't feel nearly as beat up as I do on my 26er aluminum hardtail. The other thing that really surprised me was that with the 29 inch wheels I didn't even miss a suspension fork. When I bought the bike I assumed, because of my experience w/ 26 inch bikes, that I would really want a suspension fork but with the built in forgiveness of the 29 inch wheel it was a remarkably smooth ride. But since I already ordered a fork that's currently in the mail I'll give it a shot anyway just to compare.

I know there are some 29er haters out there (because I know some personally) that don't like the 29er because of things like additional weight, slower acceleration, climbing, gear ratios and whatever other reasons, real or perceived, that are out there. I don't really have the expertise or interest in arguing about the merits of 29ers but I will say that the reason I ride mountain bikes is to have fun and these first couple rides on a 29er have been the most fun I've had on a mountain bike in a long time. So ride whatever bike floats your boat but as for me, I'll be rolling the big wheels.

Last edited by chrisnei; 02-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member

Congrats

After riding a geared surly for a year I added a monocog flight yesterday which I believe has similar geometry. Took it out for my first single speed ride and really enjoyed it. It was sloppy wet though so I am anxious to see how it performs when I can get it moving.

You are totally right about the fun part though. People quibble over speed but for someone like me the 29er is by far the most fun to ride.

Enjoy